Bitcoin Forum
March 29, 2024, 09:54:22 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: How about we start banning scammers?  (Read 1777 times)
Lauda
Legendary

Activity: 2674
Merit: 2965

Terminated.

View Profile WWW
November 07, 2017, 08:01:44 AM

IMHO, we should at least start banning confirmed serial scammers.
This. I don't even get it why aren't these users who are 100% confirmed that they're scammers aren't banned. Their thread is still living though it's locked and trust hidden then using autobuy link.
This seems like a trivial thing to do and isn't really prone to abuse. Moderators could verify the claims via their trust ratings. Those autobuy links tend to be very annoying, yes.

I think we should disable "hide trust" exclusively in Marketplace, Auctions and others that I forgot to mention that involves trades.
Another issue that got my attention yesterday was Beginners & Help. Someone offered people help to claim BTG and asked users to PM them. However, they have been sending users a link to some website that asks them to input their private key(s). Tl;dr to the issue: Trust ratings are not visible in that section.

"The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"
😼 Bitcoin Core (onion)

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
dillpicklechips

Activity: 994
Merit: 507

View Profile
November 07, 2017, 10:39:55 AM

IMHO, we should at least start banning confirmed serial scammers.
This. I don't even get it why aren't these users who are 100% confirmed that they're scammers aren't banned. Their thread is still living though it's locked and trust hidden then using autobuy link.
This seems like a trivial thing to do and isn't really prone to abuse. Moderators could verify the claims via their trust ratings. Those autobuy links tend to be very annoying, yes.
Some users still fall for it especially newbies. Anyway, it doesn't changed the fact that they are confirmed scammers and should be banned and the thread that are used to scam (especially this "trap" threads) should be put down.

I think we should disable "hide trust" exclusively in Marketplace, Auctions and others that I forgot to mention that involves trades.
Another issue that got my attention yesterday was Beginners & Help. Someone offered people help to claim BTG and asked users to PM them. However, they have been sending users a link to some website that asks them to input their private key(s). Tl;dr to the issue: Trust ratings are not visible in that section.
This is a major issue. The trust rating's purpose is not delivered well. This should be brought up to the admins and implement this (we can't wait for the new forum to be done in an indefinite time to apply crucial changes).
Getcoinsite

Activity: 714
Merit: 260

View Profile
November 07, 2017, 01:42:48 PM

Hello,

I've been dealing on bitcointalk for almost a year, spent hundreds of hours here and did deals for tens of thousands USD worth of amazon balance.

I see the same things over and over - new users don't check trust scan (even if it's clearly red lol), belive in fake vouches, don't use escrow or even know what that is.

Scammers are creating multiple threads, multi accounts for fake vouches (look at this guy) or self moderating them. Hundereds or thousands of dollars are getting stolen every day from good people who just want to earn some money and do a honest business.

I think it's all about lack of internet awarness, people are vulnerable for attacks and deceptions with thieves getting more and more creative.
It's not new users fault really, they are unexperienced and expect forums to be the safe place. Getting scammed multiple times when you want to do honest business and make it grow does not really get you go back to this place for more deals.
The marketplace has over 6 million posts, really worth it to make it safer.

It's pretty hard to change human behaviour and spread the awarness with so many new users.

Why won't we take care of scammers for good instead? Or at least the most notorious ones? Clearing the marketplace and banning all the scammers would make it much safer for the new users.

I suggest mods getting to work and users helping them - I noticed many good people fight for the truth to protect naive members. Definietly hiring more moderators to help or giving trusted users some new permissions, at least to lock scammers PM system untill forum staff take care of him for good.

I hope you think the same, it's finally time to do some clean up. It's been the problem for too long, good people can't lose money every day because we lack action to protect them and make them want to stay for more growth.

I think the solution is not to really ban scammers, but more of create an educational tour of the forum. By that I mean is to mandatory require all newly registered users to take a course to familiarize themselves with the features and some tips on not getting scammed here on the forum.

Banning scammers is useless, they can just create new accounts and the results will just be the same.
thats the greatest idea to lessen the scammed issue if might not be stopped permanently.but atleast educating new user or even those not so really new but  didnt have tried to deal with damd scammers.more advertising and education ..promote lots of warning post.and those strategy and tricks of the scammers should be revealed for the benefits of many users and prospected victims
endlasuresh

Activity: 756
Merit: 103

View Profile WWW
November 10, 2017, 11:39:29 AM

@podgor
I belongs to so many communities, but never seen scammers like in this forums. I was been scammed from several bounties, the way they did till the end of the ICO. the last one was Car Taxi where they changed addresses.
It's one of toughest thing to maintain these scammers, there are more scammers exists here under reputation.

For Telugu Translation Contact to me
jercess

Activity: 201
Merit: 10

Campaign Manager

View Profile
November 10, 2017, 03:19:49 PM

Hello,

I've been dealing on bitcointalk for almost a year, spent hundreds of hours here and did deals for tens of thousands USD worth of amazon balance.

I see the same things over and over - new users don't check trust scan (even if it's clearly red lol), belive in fake vouches, don't use escrow or even know what that is.

Scammers are creating multiple threads, multi accounts for fake vouches (look at this guy) or self moderating them. Hundereds or thousands of dollars are getting stolen every day from good people who just want to earn some money and do a honest business.

I think it's all about lack of internet awarness, people are vulnerable for attacks and deceptions with thieves getting more and more creative.
It's not new users fault really, they are unexperienced and expect forums to be the safe place. Getting scammed multiple times when you want to do honest business and make it grow does not really get you go back to this place for more deals.

It's pretty hard to change human behaviour and spread the awarness with so many new users. Sticking posts like this to every sub in marketplace could help a bit, although people are too often lazy or unaware what they have in front of their eyes.

Why won't we take care of scammers for good instead? Or at least the most notorious ones? Clearing the marketplace and banning all the scammers would make it much safer for the new users.

I suggest mods getting to work and users helping them - I noticed many good people fight for the truth to protect naive members. Definietly hiring more moderators to help or giving trusted users some new permissions, at least to lock scammers PM system untill forum staff take care of him for good.

I hope you think the same, it's finally time to do some clean up. It's been the problem for too long, good people can't lose money every day because we lack action to protect them and make them want to stay for more growth.

//thanks for moving this to the right sub

This ones a good idea but somehow scammers wilk always find a new way on how to scam people all over again. There are a lot of moderators here so I think they could handle this problem because scammers scatter everywhere. They're really annoying.
Podgor (OP)

Activity: 403
Merit: 250

SELLING AMAZON

View Profile
November 14, 2017, 08:22:30 PM

This is a major issue. The trust rating's purpose is not delivered well. This should be brought up to the admins and implement this (we can't wait for the new forum to be done in an indefinite time to apply crucial changes).

New members are often afraid to report scammers because they can get a revenge rep.

mikiness

Activity: 14
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 15, 2017, 04:09:05 PM

on my opinion, banning scammers is not the solution for this matter cause they will always find a way to go back to their job on scamming, like creating new accounts. I think the moderator or the person incharge should tighten the security of accounts for this matter.
Deena

Activity: 238
Merit: 49

View Profile
November 15, 2017, 04:42:50 PM

More important than the question whether a revolver or a shotgun should be used is the question who is allowed to wear the sherriff badge.

Building an honest forum should start at the top. As the situation is now it is impossible to discern between scammers and honest members. For the scammer might just as well be the Legendary one with green trust and the honest one a member with red trust.

The other option is to decentralize moderation and build the forum on blockchain.
Podgor (OP)

SELLING AMAZON

View Profile
November 15, 2017, 06:37:44 PM

on my opinion, banning scammers is not the solution for this matter cause they will always find a way to go back to their job on scamming, like creating new accounts. I think the moderator or the person incharge should tighten the security of accounts for this matter.

Going that direction, there's no reason in putting criminals in jail, they will always find a way to get back on breaking the law.

Deena

View Profile
November 15, 2017, 06:43:12 PM

Going that direction, there's no reason in putting criminals in jail, they will always find a way to get back on breaking the law.
Going into that metaphore: Before we send people to prison we need a proper court of justice, instead of the police state we have now.
Danos

Activity: 308

View Profile WWW
November 16, 2017, 11:09:21 AM

Some more active people should receive special "powers" like trust or something like that, or people with more trust should be more active in the scam sections, so the scammers will be tagged.

Deena

View Profile
November 16, 2017, 04:55:30 PM

Some more active people should receive special "powers" like trust or something like that, or people with more trust should be more active in the scam sections, so the scammers will be tagged.
No. Giving out trust or distrust should simply not be centralized in persons. That's the police state model. The forum should construct a contitutional state model. Where members are judged on base of clear rules and sound proof. And not by the whims of authonomous persons. The latter works only when you give the power in the hands of honest persons. And honesty is not located in green trust points. And dishonesty not in red ones. There are plenty of devious greenies and honest reddies around here.
kitkat008

Activity: 47

View Profile
November 16, 2017, 05:00:48 PM

Rent hackers on tracking scammers worked out once  Wink
L00n3y

Activity: 490

View Profile
November 17, 2017, 06:19:08 AM

Hello,

It's pretty hard to change human behaviour and spread the awarness with so many new users. Sticking posts like this to every sub in marketplace could help a bit, although people are too often lazy or unaware what they have in front of their eyes.

//thanks for moving this to the right sub
Prevention is a lot way better than cure. Even if we ban scammers they will just keep on coming back. Secure your accounts and protect it. Have a fail safe passwords. Always bear in mind the presence of scammers and everyone is a target. Dont jump into transactions that are to good to be true.
Danos

Activity: 308

View Profile WWW
November 19, 2017, 05:59:41 PM

The truth is the staff and moderators can't do shit against the scammers because no one wants to deal with them.
That's how scammers fight those who catch them ->
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=2426183
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=2403300
And i can point out many many threads how this scamming group fucking us with scams, bumping fake created coins and many many more schemes.
Seems like no one care whats going around, and we, those who fight them instead of getting support, people react against us not with us.
Seems like the community deserve to be scammed if they support the scammers but not those people who expose them and trying to protect them.

kitkat008

Activity: 47

View Profile
November 19, 2017, 11:19:12 PM

just ranting that we need to educate people is plain wrong. the forum should also be active on scam reports or create a wide trust escrow service....
Podgor (OP)

SELLING AMAZON

View Profile
November 20, 2017, 06:27:52 PM

Going into that metaphore: Before we send people to prison we need a proper court of justice, instead of the police state we have now.

Agreed, we need some changes. Staff members should be taking care of proven scammers.
Locking them out of marketplace at least when there are multiple accusations from trusted members.

Rent hackers on tracking scammers worked out once  Wink

That's very clever but hiring hackers instead of having mods actually do some work is not the way to deal with things.

just ranting that we need to educate people is plain wrong. the forum should also be active on scam reports or create a wide trust escrow service....

Amen.

Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  

Jump to: