Bitcoin Forum
March 19, 2024, 09:16:14 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 [15] 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 ... 442 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [DVC]DevCoin - Official Thread - Moderated  (Read 1058355 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic.
wiser
Legendary

Activity: 1806
Merit: 1029

View Profile
July 03, 2013, 05:13:03 PM
Last edit: July 03, 2013, 05:25:14 PM by wiser

Payment is made as blocks are generated, so that means that if, for example there were 10 payees on the receiver list for round 24 with an equal number of shares...on block 96,000 45,000dvc are paid out to payee 1 (50,000 x 0.9 because 10% goes to miners), on block 96,001 45k dvc are paid out to payee 2 etc until it reaches payee 10, then after that goes back to payee 1 etc etc, so that means payment is in gradual increments of 45k dvc, the number of which in reality will depend on any person's share and the total number of shares (it's not always 45,000 - depends whether whole or half shares but principle is the same). When you receive newly generated blocks, they have to 'mature' by receiving 120 confirmations (bascially acquire enough confirmations to make sure they're legit). You won't have to wait too long and yes it is quite exciting when you get them.

Thanks, weisoq!  I think I can visualize this.  So, is your place in line determined alphabetically?  If that's the case, maybe I'd have done better by choosing Aardvark for a username LOL.  Not that place in line ultimately matters--call it first time jitters Wink

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"I'm sure that in 20 years there will either be very large transaction volume or no volume." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
ranlo
Legendary

Activity: 1974
Merit: 1007

View Profile
July 03, 2013, 05:17:01 PM

Payment is made as blocks are generated, so that means that if, for example there were 10 payees on the receiver list for round 24 with an equal number of shares...on block 96,000 45,000dvc are paid out to payee 1 (50,000 x 0.9 because 10% goes to miners), on block 96,001 45k dvc are paid out to payee 2 etc until it reaches payee 10, then after that goes back to payee 1 etc etc, so that means payment is in gradual increments of 45k dvc, the number of which in reality will depend on any person's share and the total number of shares (it's not always 45,000 - depends whether whole or half shares but principle is the same). When you receive newly generated blocks, they have to 'mature' by receiving 120 confirmations (bascially acquire enough confirmations to make sure they're legit). You won't have to wait too long and yes it is quite exciting when you get them.

Thanks, weisoq!  I think I can visualize this.  So, is your place in line determined alphabetically?  If that's the case, maybe I'd have done better by choosing Aardvark for a username LOL.  Not that place in line ultimately matters--call it first time jitters Wink

Read the receiver file I linked; it's all randomly generated. Ex. if you have 10 shares, there are like 1.3k lines so you may be at 3, 193, 438, 590, etc.

https://nanogames.io/i-bctalk-n/
Message for info on how to get kickbacks on sites like Nano (above) and CryptoPlay!
Unthinkingbit

Activity: 935
Merit: 1015

View Profile
July 03, 2013, 05:20:12 PM

Thanks, weisoq!  I think I can visualize this. So, is your place in line determined alphabetically? If that's the case, maybe I'd have done better by choosing Aardvark for a username LOL.

No. The lines are cut at a place which changes each round, furthermore at each even round number they are also reversed. From the getCutLines function in account.py:
https://raw.github.com/Unthinkingbit/charity/master/account.py

def getCutLines(cutLines, suffixNumber):
   """
The lines are cut at a different part of the list, so that a developer whose key starts with 1A does not get more on average over multiple rounds than a developer whose key starts with 1Z. This is done by cutting the list at an index which is the golden ratio times the round number, then modulo is used to keep it within the list bounds. It also reverses the list at every even round number, in case cutting is not enough to average pay over multiple rounds.
   """
   rotation = (float(suffixNumber) * globalGoldenRatio) % 1.0
   rotationIndex = int(math.floor(rotation * float(len(cutLines))))
   if suffixNumber % 2 == 0:
      cutLines.reverse()
   cutLines = cutLines[rotationIndex :] + cutLines[: rotationIndex]
   return cutLines

ranlo
Legendary

View Profile
July 03, 2013, 05:24:18 PM

Thanks, weisoq!  I think I can visualize this. So, is your place in line determined alphabetically? If that's the case, maybe I'd have done better by choosing Aardvark for a username LOL.

No. The lines are cut at a place which changes each round, furthermore at each even round number they are also reversed. From the getCutLines function in account.py:
https://raw.github.com/Unthinkingbit/charity/master/account.py

"""
The lines are cut at a different part of the list, so that a developer whose key starts with 1A does not get more on average over multiple rounds than a developer whose key starts with 1Z. This is done by cutting the list at an index which is the golden ratio times the round number, then modulo is used to keep it within the list bounds. It also reverses the list at every even round number, in case cutting is not enough to average pay over multiple rounds.
   """
   rotation = (float(suffixNumber) * globalGoldenRatio) % 1.0
   rotationIndex = int(math.floor(rotation * float(len(cutLines))))
   if suffixNumber % 2 == 0:
      cutLines.reverse()
   cutLines = cutLines[rotationIndex :] + cutLines[: rotationIndex]
   return cutLines

Ahh, just to clarify, was my statement on each line representing a single block correct, being that, for example, if your address is 5th in line you would be getting paid on the 5th block?

Message for info on how to get kickbacks on sites like Nano (above) and CryptoPlay!
wiser
Legendary

View Profile
July 03, 2013, 05:27:28 PM

That shows the order in which shares are paid. So if your address shows up in row 18 and 37, you would be paid in block 96009 and 96038 (as the rows technically start with #10). The number of times you will find your address in the file depends on how many shares you earned.

Thanks, everyone.  Looks like I do have a few more blocks to wait out...  My understanding is it takes about ten minutes to get through one block.  Is that correct?  I've never sat there with a timer or anything.
wiser
Legendary

View Profile
July 03, 2013, 05:48:12 PM

Hey, my activity level went up.  Yay!  Small blessings.  Looks like today is going to be a good day Smiley
ranlo
Legendary

View Profile
July 03, 2013, 05:52:59 PM

Hey, my activity level went up.  Yay!  Small blessings.  Looks like today is going to be a good day Smiley

If your day goes well enough you can donate DVC to the Ranlo Foundation. I heard if you donate at least a million the monkey in my avatar dances! Could just be a rumor though...

wiser
Legendary

View Profile
July 03, 2013, 05:57:51 PM

I'll give it some thought.  What does the Ranlo Foundation do?  I mean besides make the monkey dance?

BTW, when I go thru your faucet rotator, I do input your address from time to time to help keep it alive.  Happy to do it.
Unthinkingbit

Activity: 935
Merit: 1015

View Profile
July 03, 2013, 06:00:08 PM

"""
   """

Ahh, just to clarify, was my statement on each line representing a single block correct, being that, for example, if your address is 5th in line you would be getting paid on the 5th block?

Yes, the clients read directly from the receiver files. The account.py script cuts and reverses lines before writing them to the receiver file.

ranlo
Legendary

View Profile
July 03, 2013, 06:04:08 PM

I'll give it some thought.  What does the Ranlo Foundation do?  I mean besides make the monkey dance?

BTW, when I go thru your faucet rotator, I do input your address from time to time to help keep it alive.  Happy to do it.

Oh, thanks, but you don't have to do that, :p. To be honest the rotator is more of a learning experience than anything (I had to learn a lot of new methods on how to do things in order to get it up and running). I plan to expand on it "soon" as well. First I need to finish up with a couple of my other projects that I've been neglecting for a while, Sad.

And the Ranlo Foundation collects DevCoins!

wiser
Legendary

View Profile
July 03, 2013, 06:17:31 PM

Oh, thanks, but you don't have to do that, :p. To be honest the rotator is more of a learning experience than anything (I had to learn a lot of new methods on how to do things in order to get it up and running). I plan to expand on it "soon" as well. First I need to finish up with a couple of my other projects that I've been neglecting for a while, Sad.

And the Ranlo Foundation collects DevCoins!

Well, I'm happy to share.  I would say it has been a very successful learning experience!  I've actually "earned" rather significantly through the faucet.  I mean sure, it's not the most efficient way (one microbit at a time), but the other methods often require both hands, something that's a bit of a luxury since I have a two month old baby, not to mention the four year old who sometimes wakes him up when he's napping Smiley
wiser
Legendary

View Profile
July 03, 2013, 06:19:42 PM

Yes, the clients read directly from the receiver files.

NOW I understand why we need to use an address from an actual client (as opposed to something web-based)!
twobits

Activity: 574
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 03, 2013, 07:55:24 PM

Yes, the clients read directly from the receiver files.

NOW I understand why we need to use an address from an actual client (as opposed to something web-based)!

They are unrelated.  The reason web based wallets do not work is they are not set up to handle generated coins.  This proves true for all the coin chains, not just devcoin with it's receiver files.

█████                █████      ███████             
█████                ███    █████████████       
█████                ██  █████████████████   
█████                █  ██████              ██████ 
█████                    ████                      ████ 
█████████████  █████                        ████
█████                    █████                             
█████                █  ██████              ███████
█████                ██  ███████████    █████ 
█████                ███    █████████    ████   
█████                █████      ███████    ██
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
HyperQuant.net
Platform for Professional Asset Management
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
WhitePaper
One-Pager
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
Telegram 
Facebook
Twitter
Medium
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
█████                █████      ███████             
█████                ███    █████████████       
█████                ██  █████████████████   
█████                █  ██████              ██████ 
█████                    ████                      ████ 
█████                    █████                             
█████                █  ██████              ███████
█████                ██  ███████████    █████ 
█████                ███    █████████    ████   
█████                █████      ███████    ██
wiser
Legendary

View Profile
July 03, 2013, 08:38:35 PM

They are unrelated.  The reason web based wallets do not work is they are not set up to handle generated coins.  This proves true for all the coin chains, not just devcoin with it's receiver files.

OK, maybe I *don't* understand.  So... what is it about generated coins that makes web-based wallets unable to receive them.  What is it about them that causes the web-based wallets to either not recognize them or reject them?  What do client wallets have that web wallets don't?

I'm looking to be educated here Smiley
Aegis (OP)

Activity: 23
Merit: 87

View Profile
July 03, 2013, 08:54:34 PM

Can I get http://devcointalk.org/ added to the OP on this thread as a forum for devcoin ?? had a nice flourish of new users, and still more trickling in, the site's got a number of nice little features setup like a news ticker....
1DVC = http://dvcticker.appspot.com/vircurex/1DVC/BTC.png 1BTC = http://dvcticker.appspot.com/vircurex/1BTC/DVC.png 1BTC = http://dvcticker.appspot.com/vircurex/1BTC/USD.png

also members can request to be in the Devtome writers and admin group on the forum... just a nice place to hang out for gentle devcoin devtome related chat Smiley

and I trying to do something clever with posts from this main thread to be cross posted on there.... any stuff to make it a one stop shop to daily check up on various devcoin related stuff... etc so any suggestions please say.... something like showing latests posts on devtome.. and other network and devtome stats

but anyway the site was announced a little while back but never promoted or advertised so this is me pushing it.

Many thanks

FuzzyBear

I just added it as 'The Unofficial Devcoin Forums' (Not sure if it's official, or not.). Would you like 'Devcoin Talk' instead?

-acs26

Thank you for adding, and yes please list it as "Devcoin Talk Forum" if that is ok?

FuzzyBear

Yes, I have added it as 'Devcoin Talk Forums'. Hopefully that is okay.

-acs26
weisoq

Activity: 720
Merit: 500

View Profile
July 03, 2013, 09:03:48 PM

They are unrelated.  The reason web based wallets do not work is they are not set up to handle generated coins.  This proves true for all the coin chains, not just devcoin with it's receiver files.

OK, maybe I *don't* understand.  So... what is it about generated coins that makes web-based wallets unable to receive them.  What is it about them that causes the web-based wallets to either not recognize them or reject them?  What do client wallets have that web wallets don't?

I'm looking to be educated here Smiley
I wondered this, so rather than cut/paste other people's opinions on things I know little about here's a link to start of a discussion about it:
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=34586.msg1648573#msg1648573 (the relevant posts are scattered and also extend to the following page)
wiser
Legendary

View Profile
July 03, 2013, 10:03:30 PM

So I see my first 49000 DVC in my wallet.  It says "matures in 118 more blocks." 

So... my brand new Devcoins have to grow up.  That's pretty cool.  Anything I need to do to feed or water them Wink ?

Seriously, though, what is actually meant by "matures?"

... on the learning curve again Smiley
markm
Legendary

Activity: 2940
Merit: 1090

View Profile WWW
July 03, 2013, 11:34:27 PM

I thought this was already written just a few posts ago, mined coins require 120 blocks to mature, that is, to be really sure they are not going to turn out to be on an orphaned branch of the blockchain.

This is the same as bitcoin. some recent scamcoins have lowered that number but with their lower hasing power that seems a bad move on their part.

I think in the code its actually 100 blocks but in the user interface its 120, something like that.

-MarkM-

Browser-launched Crossfire client now online (select CrossCiv server for Galactic  Milieu)
Free website hosting with PHP, MySQL etc: http://hosting.knotwork.com/
wiser
Legendary

View Profile
July 04, 2013, 12:13:16 AM

"An orphaned branch of the block chain."  Another new concept for this newbie.  At this point, the meaning is... cryptic!  Yeah, I know no one saw that coming LOL.

Has anyone written an article or made a diagram of the life cycle of a cryptocoin?  If so, I'd like to see it Smiley
Vlad2Vlad
Legendary

Activity: 3052
Merit: 1530

www.ixcoin.net

View Profile WWW
July 04, 2013, 01:07:02 AM

"An orphaned branch of the block chain."  Another new concept for this newbie.  At this point, the meaning is... cryptic!  Yeah, I know no one saw that coming LOL.

Has anyone written an article or made a diagram of the life cycle of a cryptocoin?  If so, I'd like to see it Smiley

The lifecycle is unclear.  It's all too new.  The only dead coins are the ones which didn't survive a 51% attack or scam coins.  Nobody can predict the lifecycle of some of these coins which appear to have made it so far.  We're still in the infancy stage but given this is all digital the growth will be logarithmic.

And just like clockwork, like I've been saying, bitcoin is about to go to walstreet which means mainstream for bitcoin, devcoin and all the rest of the coins. When the masses start investing in alt coins that's when it all starts going in fast forward.  Hyper growth and hyper hype from the media.  The way they mock alt coins now they'll be telling everyone to buy buy buy.

iXcoin - Welcome to the F U T U R E!
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 [15] 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 ... 442 »
  Print  

Jump to: