Bitcoin Forum
April 20, 2024, 03:13:23 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 [64] 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 ... 442 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [DVC]DevCoin - Official Thread - Moderated  (Read 1058398 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic.
markm
Legendary

Activity: 2940
Merit: 1090

View Profile WWW
September 20, 2013, 10:54:30 PM
Last edit: September 20, 2013, 11:09:05 PM by markm

Back before we got flooded with authors devcoins were regularly selling for well over 200 satoshis each, now we have all these new authors it has not seen even 100 in gosh knows how long and is lucky, it seems, to see 40.

40 / 200 = 0.2  = 1/5 ... We could maybe divide all author pay by five and still have authors be able to get just as much fiat or bitcoin or whatever out of it as they get right now simply by placing their sell orders at 200 satoshis, which it used to hit quite regularly and barrel right on by even if millions were sitting there waiting to be bought so might well start doing again once floods of overpaid authors aren't dumping their grossly overhuge allotment of coins at the bottom of the price range.

(It used to also cycle down to the thirties then go back way the heck over 200, probably when enough rounds had gone by that someone figured even at dirt cheap rates they had enough to buy something with or somesuch. Likely when someone did dump a lot bringing the price way down word got around, people came to pick up coins cheap, but many of them took hours to hear about it so by the time they arrived to buy cheap coins the price was well on its way back up so they bought anyway before it went even farther back up... Oh and of course when it approached 300 people would hear about that too, come looking to sell way high, but again be beaten to it by people who were faster to hear about it and react so saw it was already on its way down so sold anyway being as how they already fired up their client and came to the exchange planning to sell...)

-MarkM-

Browser-launched Crossfire client now online (select CrossCiv server for Galactic  Milieu)
Free website hosting with PHP, MySQL etc: http://hosting.knotwork.com/
The network tries to produce one block per 10 minutes. It does this by automatically adjusting how difficult it is to produce blocks.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Unthinkingbit

Activity: 935
Merit: 1015

View Profile
September 20, 2013, 11:02:38 PM

The new devcoin admins, in decreasing order of seniority, are Shakezula and Smeagol. TaxReturn resigned because of too much real life work, which opened up an Article Admin position, he's welcome to rejoin whenever he wants. Shakezula was given the options of:

1) Checking to see that articles meet the devtome requirements.

2) Awarding the tiny (fraction of a share) bounties, and checking that paid maintenance work is being done.

3) Making up his own job.

He picked Article Admin, so he now handles writers whose first name starts with P-Z. I then gave Smeagol the extra options of Business Admin, since he's maintaining the devtome business page, and also the option of Category Admin, because I remembered that that was opened when Weisoq resigned, so his options were:

1) Handling a business page (what you're already doing), and businesspeople in general.

2) Categorizing the Latest articles on the devtome start page.

3) Awarding the tiny (fraction of a share) bounties, and checking that paid maintenance work is being done.

4) Making up his own job.

He picked Business Admin, so besides writing the business page, he'll also handle a new business thread and business bounties for everyone but him. If he qualifies for another business bounty, I'll award it to him. He also asked for moderation privilege, so I'll give him the password to the Aegis account, any admin can ask for the password to the Aegis account.

They both also picked File Admin position. I'm glad they both accepted, because we always need more admins, and now we can do more stuff.

FinShaggy

Activity: 196
Merit: 100

Google/YouTube

View Profile WWW
September 20, 2013, 11:05:07 PM

If I was better with computers I would have stayed on as admin, but if I can't get paid for marketing I'm not really any use. But I've still been telling people about the coin, even when I was gone.

If everyone is thinking outside the box, there is a new box.
wiser
Legendary

Activity: 1806
Merit: 1029

View Profile
September 20, 2013, 11:34:50 PM

Welcome shakezula and smeagol! Smiley
FinShaggy

Activity: 196

Google/YouTube

View Profile WWW
September 20, 2013, 11:39:58 PM

Are they THAT new? I thought maybe it had been like a month or so.

If everyone is thinking outside the box, there is a new box.
markm
Legendary

View Profile WWW
September 20, 2013, 11:52:29 PM
Last edit: September 21, 2013, 03:31:09 AM by markm

Well maybe they had been doing it free on their own dime just because it needed doing, for so long, so well, that it seemed reasonable to invite them to do it officially on the company dime?

EDIT: As to auto-buying devcoins, maybe best would be to take half the budget and put a fifth of that on each satoshi of price from the highest current bid downward, that is put some at each of the top five satoshis or so of current bid; then periodically look again and if those sold replenish them or if current high bid is higher than the high was when you placed previous bunch, put more upward from there.

But basically don't do market orders, they are stupid, bid a price. Traders take crazy amount of advantage of auto-dumpers so whatever it happens to be that you are in effect "dumping for DeVCoins" traders will deliberately stand way the heck back far across as big a spread as they can maintain waiting for the next stupid autodump bot to give them a crazy price due to not looking what price others were asking for a similar volume of whatever it is the bot is dumping.

e.g. Adsense pays your site USD, so you plan to "dump" the USD for devcoins. Smart traders knowing some idiot is going to autodump USD for devcoins will try to lure it into giving a stupid price. So also don't put more on each price than is already there might also be wise for a bot, in case what is already there is just a lure set by a trader to try to trick the bot into offering $1000 USD at the price the trader is offering $0.01 USD or something like that...

-MarkM-

Browser-launched Crossfire client now online (select CrossCiv server for Galactic  Milieu)
shakezula

Activity: 308
Merit: 250

View Profile
September 21, 2013, 01:17:41 AM

In the interest of something else to do with DVC and because I love the idea of combining books with writing ala DVC (thanks FinShaggy for the idea) I present a simple web-shop with Textbooks and Non-Fiction books for sale in DVC via CoinPayments.net:

https://andarazoroflove.org/shop/

Only a dozen or so up now, will be a few dozen more listed in the next couple days as I get busy doing. I work for a land-grant university so these kinds of knowledge books accumulate quite a bit. I'm also toying with the idea of PC components for DVC, but we'll see what happens.
smeagol
Legendary

Activity: 1008
Merit: 1005

View Profile
September 21, 2013, 02:03:26 AM

Smeagol is basically like the model of "What to do right now". And I kinda have a feeling he is the one that dumped the 60 mil, so that we could have a Amazon DVC business. No hate coming from me, I think it was a great idea. Not sure if it was him, but it makes sense.
It wasn't him...
lol.  Each amazon gift card is about 200k dvc (for $10).  200k * 6 = 1.2 mil
I haven't even earned 60 mil..  Cheesy
The new devcoin admins, in decreasing order of seniority, are Shakezula and Smeagol.

Thanks again, Unthinkingbit!
ronimacarroni

Activity: 140

View Profile
September 21, 2013, 02:10:36 AM

Smeagol is basically like the model of "What to do right now". And I kinda have a feeling he is the one that dumped the 60 mil, so that we could have a Amazon DVC business. No hate coming from me, I think it was a great idea. Not sure if it was him, but it makes sense.
It wasn't him...
The new devcoin admins, in decreasing order of seniority, are Shakezula and Smeagol.

Thanks again, Unthinkingbit!
Damn it smeagol you're not supposed to be laughing at how little the currency you're in charge of is worth.
Temporarily close down the devtome and fix it before devcoin goes kaput.
wiser
Legendary

View Profile
September 21, 2013, 02:16:09 AM

It wasn't him...

I never thought it was you.  We have no way of knowing.  But it's a point worth making that if you had sold off 60 million DVCs or any amount for that matter for the purpose of starting a viable business that ultimately improves the value of Devcoin, then I would say it was a good move.  In that case getting angry about the inevitable drop in DVC price that would have resulted would be taking a very shortsighted view.

Until there actually is a viable DVC economy, where goods and services can be obtained for DVC, it's going to take selling off DVC in order to build the components of such an economy.  So... in that sense when it comes to the price of DVC on the exchange, things have to get worse before they can get better.
smeagol
Legendary

View Profile
September 21, 2013, 02:17:56 AM

Are they THAT new? I thought maybe it had been like a month or so.

Yep, I was just messaged yesterday!  I am going to start my first admin duties tomorrow! Smiley
sidhujag
Legendary

Activity: 2044

View Profile
September 21, 2013, 03:27:00 AM
Last edit: September 21, 2013, 03:37:22 AM by sidhujag

Well maybe they had been doing it free on their own dime just because it needed doing, for so long, so well, that it seemed reasonable to invite them to do it officially on the company dime?

EDIT: As to auto-buying devcoins, maybe best would be to take half the budget and put a fifth of that on each satoshi of price from the highest current bid downward, that is put some at each of the top five satoshis or so of current bid; then periodically look again and if those sold replenish them or if current high bid is higher than the high was when you placed previous bunch, put more upward from there.

But basically don't do market orders, they are stupid, bid a price. Traders take crazy amount of advantage of auto-dumpers so whatever it happens to be that you are in effect "dumping for DeVCoins" traders will deliberately stand way the heck back far across as big a spread as they can maintain waiting for the next stupid autodump bot to give them a crazy price due to not looking what prace others were asking for a similar volume of whatever it is the bot is dumping.

e.g. Adsense pays your site USD, so you plan to "dump" the USD for devcoins. Smart traders knowing some idiot is going to autodump USD for devcoins will try to lure it into giving a stupid price. So also don't put more on each price than is already there might also be wise for a bot, in case what is already there is just a lure set by a trader to try to trick the bot into offering $1000 USD at the price the trader is offering $0.01 USD or something like that...

-MarkM-

Yea I see what your saying better to use limit orders.

I dont see the auto buying isnworking maybe not enough ad revenue yet?

Btw where is the ad revenue going right now? Is it auto paying out to an account?
wiser
Legendary

View Profile
September 21, 2013, 03:58:34 AM

So all this discussion on the thread today prompted me to write this essay called Fat Cats and Mercenaries expressing my thoughts about the Devtome project and our attitude towards it.  The more I ponder it, the more amazing it becomes in my eyes, and the more convinced I get that it not only is sustainable, but needs to be largely left as it is, though tweaks to improve it are certainly good.

Despite my own advice, I did not copy/paste anything.  I composed the essay from scratch, though worked off some of my earlier posted ideas.  This one is a Devtome exclusive.  No republishing my blog post this time.  Enjoy Smiley
sidhujag
Legendary

Activity: 2044

View Profile
September 21, 2013, 04:14:54 AM

So all this discussion on the thread today prompted me to write this essay called Fat Cats and Mercenaries expressing my thoughts about the Devtome project and our attitude towards it.  The more I ponder it, the more amazing it becomes in my eyes, and the more convinced I get that it not only is sustainable, but needs to be largely left as it is, though tweaks to improve it are certainly good.

Despite my own advice, I did not copy/paste anything.  I composed the essay from scratch, though worked off some of my earlier posted ideas.  This one is a Devtome exclusive.  No republishing my blog post this time.  Enjoy Smiley
this is really good wiser Im proud of you! Mandatory reading for new writers.. this should be read
by the people who hate on devcoin. It has had
a black eye amongst some of the older crypto members speaking with ppl on forums but reading this should open their eyes. Ppl can link this page to anyone who wants motivation to get into devcoin aswell as how devcoin works kind of and how to earn and put it all in the
big picture. I will use it as a tool. Thanks!
markm
Legendary

View Profile WWW
September 21, 2013, 06:25:52 AM
Last edit: September 21, 2013, 07:59:42 AM by markm

Is it really true that DeVCoin is the second-oldest cryptocoin, right after BiTCoin?

It really came before NaMeCoin, before, oops, GRouPcoin?

Hahaha we (Unthinkingbit and I) made GRouPcoin initially as just a chain to try out ways of implementing DeVCoin, then once we figured out how we could do DeVCoin GRouPcoin shed all those test/prototype features and the gamers who had been getting into it for use in games continued using it. So okay lets not count GRouPcoin, since we can lump it in as basically "part of DeVCoin", and it didn't really "go public", much at least, really, until after DeVCoin was launched. It just kind of continued along on its merry way as a coin used in certain games - such as the Galactic Milieu - for quite a while before much of anyone other than the gamers using it really noticed the darn thing had not died.

(Some gamers, coming from games like Dungeons and Dragons, Chivalry and Sorcery, Land of the Rising Sun and so on and so on, still to this day think that ultimately GRouPcoin ought, by market forces, end up as in effect a 1000-devcoin coin, because it generates one thousandth as many coins per block as DeVCoin and, being as how both are merged mined, ought hopefully to end up having the same difficulty as DeVCoin too. Thus, one thousand times as many hashes per coin to mint, thus, one thousand times as expensive. They aren't at all adapted to having different coins have different exchange rates, they are used to the number of silverpieces per gold piece, the number of copper piece, etc hard-coded into the game as constants! Smiley Cheesy)

So I don't mind GRouPcoin being considered to come after DeVCoin, afterall it was only in order to implement DeVCoin, and as part of implementing DeVCoin, that it came into existence at all. DeVCoin already existed as our goal in our heads when we came up with the idea of making GRouPcoin as a testbed to try out some implementation ideas.

But I have a vague recollection that people who made chronological lists from time to time of which coin got created when used to list something else after BiTCoin before DeVCoin, didn't they? Or did they? If they did, were they wrong?

-MarkM-

psybits
Legendary

Activity: 1386
Merit: 1000

View Profile
September 21, 2013, 07:34:07 AM
Last edit: September 21, 2013, 08:17:27 AM by psybits

Official Devtome Twitter account is up!

https://twitter.com/Devtome

The latest Devtome articles will be autoposted to this account as well as general information about Devcoin!

Make sure to follow, RT and spread the word Smiley

mrca

Activity: 43
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
September 21, 2013, 12:08:34 PM

Hi, Question(s) about writing, copyright, collated work (on devtome, of course):
A. - If I write something with my own pictures (more then a dozen) and I'd like to include some other pictures (a couple, let's say from some University), with proper credits, is it considered original or collated?
(for exemplification, You might read http://toyservice.ro/stories/2011/led-dynamo-flashlight-tuning-and-repairs-july-2011/, rectifier pictures)
B. - Current copyright laws(*) might prosecute You for something like Pe?si(R) or Co?aCo?a(R) in the background of Your pictures. How do devtome interprets those new restrictions: should I gimp away any brand name/logo (blur/pixelize/...)? I work mostly with well known brands, and they appear in my pictures...

I mention I have read [almost] all I could find at search here and on devtome.

Thanks in advance for Your effort,

-------
(*) I have a few years under belt navigating through copyright laws in my country
alyssa85
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 1088

CryptoTalk.Org - Get Paid for every Post!

View Profile
September 21, 2013, 12:20:53 PM

Back before we got flooded with authors devcoins were regularly selling for well over 200 satoshis each, now we have all these new authors it has not seen even 100 in gosh knows how long and is lucky, it seems, to see 40.

40 / 200 = 0.2  = 1/5 ... We could maybe divide all author pay by five and still have authors be able to get just as much fiat or bitcoin or whatever out of it as they get right now simply by placing their sell orders at 200 satoshis, which it used to hit quite regularly and barrel right on by even if millions were sitting there waiting to be bought so might well start doing again once floods of overpaid authors aren't dumping their grossly overhuge allotment of coins at the bottom of the price range.

(It used to also cycle down to the thirties then go back way the heck over 200, probably when enough rounds had gone by that someone figured even at dirt cheap rates they had enough to buy something with or somesuch. Likely when someone did dump a lot bringing the price way down word got around, people came to pick up coins cheap, but many of them took hours to hear about it so by the time they arrived to buy cheap coins the price was well on its way back up so they bought anyway before it went even farther back up... Oh and of course when it approached 300 people would hear about that too, come looking to sell way high, but again be beaten to it by people who were faster to hear about it and react so saw it was already on its way down so sold anyway being as how they already fired up their client and came to the exchange planning to sell...)

-MarkM-

It was only at 200 satoshis for April and May - and that was entirely due to a pump and dump by Fontas - see the following thread where he admits he manipulated it to rise by 600%:

https://forum.litecoin.net/index.php?topic=4698.0

Pump and dump prices do not reflect the real market (that's why the Nasdaq, Dow Jones and FTSE ban them). They're a con. They manipulate prices to con ordinary people into thinking that the price is rising and they'd better buy in, and the conman then unloads to the unsuspecting noobs. Then they remove their pretendy buy walls, and it all collapses back to the "normal" price, except now you've got some people who have bought at the top and they are hurting.

Let's not have community members attack each other for something that was caused by an outsider just looking to make some quick cash...

Why isn't Devcoin subject to more pump and dumps any more? Primarily because other coins have been launched that are easier for the speculators to manipulate, plus the action has moved away from vircurex to cryptsy and Btc-e - and cryptsy doesn't let you trade dvc for btc, and btc-e ignores devcoin entirely.

. ██████████.
                              .████████████████.
                           .██████████████████████.
                        -█████████████████████████████
                     .██████████████████████████████████.
                  -█████████████████████████████████████████
               -███████████████████████████████████████████████
           .-█████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
        .████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
       .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       ..████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████..
       .   .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       .      .████████████████████████████████████████████████.

.       .██████████████████████████████████████████████
       .    ██████████████████████████████████████████████████████
       .█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
        .███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
           .█████████████████████████████████████████████████████
              .████████████████████████████████████████████████
                   ████████████████████████████████████████
                      ██████████████████████████████████
                          ██████████████████████████
                             ████████████████████
                               ████████████████
                                   █████████
.YoBit InvestBox.|.BUY X10 AND EARN 10% DAILY.🏆
smeagol
Legendary

View Profile
September 21, 2013, 12:22:46 PM

-MarkM-

It was only at 200 satoshis for April and May - and that was entirely due to a pump and dump by Fontas - see the following thread where he admits he manipulated it to rise by 600%:

Pump and dump prices do not reflect the real market (that's why the Nasdaq, Dow Jones and FTSE ban them). They're a con. They manipulate prices to con ordinary people into thinking that the price is rising and they'd better buy in, and the conman then unloads to the unsuspecting noobs. Then they remove their pretendy buy walls, and it all collapses back to the "normal" price, except now you've got some people who have bought at the top and they are hurting.

Let's not have community members attack each other for something that was caused by an outsider just looking to make some quick cash...

Yeah.  I bought them at 140 when I saw Fin's "Time to Buy" thread.
alyssa85
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 1088

CryptoTalk.Org - Get Paid for every Post!

View Profile
September 21, 2013, 12:27:30 PM

-MarkM-

Yeah.  I bought them at 140 when I saw Fin's "Time to Buy" thread.

I don't think Fin was part of the pump and dump - he was as much a sucker as you. The pumper/dumpers live on twitter, and you can also see them chatting on the following site:

http://trollboxarchive.com/

Have a read of it and get an insight into their world, and then you'll realize that all this angst about writers causing teh crash or fin causing teh crash are wa off the mark.

The community is not in control of the price, the speculators are, and they're out to make money from us, they don't really care about the project.

. ██████████.
                              .████████████████.
                           .██████████████████████.
                        -█████████████████████████████
                     .██████████████████████████████████.
                  -█████████████████████████████████████████
               -███████████████████████████████████████████████
           .-█████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
        .████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
       ..████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████..
       .   .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       .      .████████████████████████████████████████████████.

.       .██████████████████████████████████████████████
       .    ██████████████████████████████████████████████████████
       .█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
        .███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
           .█████████████████████████████████████████████████████
              .████████████████████████████████████████████████
                   ████████████████████████████████████████
                      ██████████████████████████████████
                          ██████████████████████████
                             ████████████████████
                               ████████████████
                                   █████████
.YoBit InvestBox.|.BUY X10 AND EARN 10% DAILY.🏆
Pages: « 1 ... 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 [64] 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 ... 442 »
  Print  

Jump to: