Bitcoin Forum
April 24, 2024, 06:36:50 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 179 180 181 182 183 184 185 186 187 188 189 190 191 192 193 194 195 196 197 198 199 200 201 202 203 204 205 206 207 208 209 210 211 212 213 214 215 216 217 218 219 [220] 221 222 223 224 225 226 227 228 229 230 231 232 233 234 235 236 237 238 239 240 241 242 243 244 245 246 247 248 249 250 251 252 253 254 255 256 257 258 259 260 261 262 263 264 265 266 267 268 269 270 ... 442 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [DVC]DevCoin - Official Thread - Moderated  (Read 1058398 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic.
dalamar96

Activity: 70
Merit: 10

View Profile WWW
January 23, 2014, 01:58:33 AM

Hi, guys!  If I am interested in getting a writer account who should I PM?  I don't know where to register because I can't find the button on devtome.com/

Thank you very much!

Read: http://www.devtome.com/doku.php?id=earn_devcoins_by_writing
and : http://www.devtome.com/doku.php?id=how_to_get_setup_earning_devcoins_by_writing

Tells you all you need to know Smiley

Earn Devcoins by Writing | The Young Mage | DevCoin / DevTome Info Prototype Website
DVC:   1ARHF6HmFL87Rw29qZi1x5TGTDzFDQxMFH
BTC:   19w38CCB8YaxmJHkNH8gMjZYjw64SkQCcM
DODG: DNzDJTJrPEsSYpDGmD2iCFUfK8iJjeqm7C

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
If you see garbage posts (off-topic, trolling, spam, no point, etc.), use the "report to moderator" links. All reports are investigated, though you will rarely be contacted about your reports.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
markm
Legendary

Activity: 2940
Merit: 1090

View Profile WWW
January 23, 2014, 02:02:05 AM

It seems Sourceforge's attempt to list all free open source everywhere isn't up to date:

https://github.com/search?q=penny+auction&nwo=starim%2Fpenny-auction&search_target=global&ref=cmdform

I will try google code too. Cannot recall the name of the other big git based one.

Looks like we need to run each such place's own internal search to find this stuff.

Partly maybe due to the general purpose search engiens being flooded out with the spam put out by the sellers and resellers and re-re-sellers of commercial scripts and even maybe free open source scripts they found and now sell.

-MarkM-

Browser-launched Crossfire client now online (select CrossCiv server for Galactic  Milieu)
Free website hosting with PHP, MySQL etc: http://hosting.knotwork.com/
Hunterbunter

Activity: 994
Merit: 1000

View Profile
January 23, 2014, 02:04:49 AM

So many people are looking for a free open source penny acution system though that likely if we do manage to come up with one oodles and oodles of penny auction sites woud spring up all over the place and we could maybe put right in the README and HOWTO and INSTALL type documentation a spiel trying to convince them to support DeVCoins.

That's a great idea. "Brought to you by Devcoins. Consider adding them as a payment method to support the continued development of this software" or some such. It's like a no brainer for them.

Maybe even add links to devtome for online versions of the same thing just to get the clicks / awareness increasing.

ThinkI

Activity: 65

View Profile
January 23, 2014, 02:10:48 AM

I believe for it to fully realize it's unique market position, it should focus on becoming the currency that people naturally want to convert all other crypto-currencies into, to get work done, like purchase inputs with and pay salaries from (so a form of cashflow currency - I don't know how realistic this is at the moment)

I would agree with HunterBunter. From where I stand DevCoin appears more like a country than a business. So NameCoin would be a business: domain names. DevCoin, however, is the economy of a country, facilitating trade (like fiat) but also being used by that country to create infrastructure to help its citizens do thing that increase DevCoin's value.

The first product of any country is manpower. Hence GeorgeM's idea earlier of matching skills with people who need the skills  is a good idea. Trade can be in DevCoin because you are matching DevCoin users. People from outside will need DevCoin to access the skills available so you increase the value of DevCoins.

DevTome is another example of that man power but the man power has no guidance and so it is not overly effective. As a consequence people complain about the quality of contributions because good and bad are equally rewarded but we all have our own idea of what good and bad means (which may overlap a lot Smiley ). So its great that people can earn by writing, but it would be better if people could earn more by writing things that could help DevCoin succeed (and the others earn a little less).

ThinkI

Earn DevCoins by doing stuff you enjoy! Cool
BTC: 1AxYGFDnnw1PUo8TbQ83PCrenjQJBYU41Z | DVC: 1HKK5tswf8mXGsQng5naNEeqY44ZTHD3MY
Is this the best way to mine BitCoin?
markm
Legendary

View Profile WWW
January 23, 2014, 02:10:54 AM
Last edit: January 23, 2014, 02:38:18 AM by markm

Oops new post since the one about auctions, to which I wanted to say

"They can even earn DeVCoins writing up on Devtome their experience of trying to run such a site! Smiley"

Re being an economy like a nation's, yes, exactly. That is why something like Cyclos or the systems they use for trading person-hours and similar community currencies ought to be useful.

Users would not even need DeVCoin wallets unless they wanted to take the coins home with them as "cash".

Cyclos includes an advertising system its users can use to advertise to each other.

I set up an instance of Cyclos adapted to call its default currency "Devcoins" but only two people even bothered to register so next time the server rebooted I never bothered to set the thing up again. If it was on dvcstable01 I won't be able to fire it up again until the new motherboard arrives and is installed, but if it is on dvcstable02 I might be able to fire it up if the load from having to spread everything that had been running on dvcstable01 onto dvcstable02 and dvcstable06 hasn't eaten too many of the system's resources already.

EDIT: Arg it seems I did put it on dvcstable02 but must have set the cyclos user's password to something I don't now recall, maybe so someone could go in and see the actual admin section of it or something.

EDIT 2: Ah figured it out. Okay looks like I should be able to fire it up. Maybe this time people might actually check it out?

EDIT 3: Okay take it for a test drive at http://dvcstable02.dvcnode.org:8080

EDIT 4: Seems more than a couple people created accounts, maybe it was only a couple that actually confirmed their email addresses though thus most probably could not actually do anything maybe not even log on again until they respond(ed) to my enquiry I manually did to check their email address was correct.

-MarkM-

Browser-launched Crossfire client now online (select CrossCiv server for Galactic  Milieu)
smeagol
Legendary

Activity: 1008
Merit: 1005

View Profile
January 23, 2014, 02:34:21 AM

Which wallet?

Did you check the TX on the block chain? Put your address in there and check your balance.. is it right? You may need to redownload the blockchain... Im not sure if checkpointing helps in these cases, maybe markm knows if there is a way to not have to download the entire blockchain but up to the earlier checkpoint only? Is it rescan?

I am using the latest sourceforge wallet version, and the tx does not show up on the blockchain.

My balance is right except for the transaction which took away 10 mil.

Any suggestions?
ThinkI

View Profile
January 23, 2014, 02:47:43 AM

Re being an economy like a nation's, yes, exactly. That is why something like Cyclos or the systems they use for trading person-hours and similar community currencies ought to be useful.

Users would not even need DeVCoin wallets unless they wanted to take the coins home with them as "cash".

Cyclos includes an advertising system its users can use to advertise to each other.

I set up an instance of Cyclos adapted to call its default currency "Devcoins" but only two people even bothered to register so next time the server rebooted I never bothered to set the thing up again.

-MarkM-

I'll take a look, but to make it work we need to attract specific types of creative people and then market that creativity.
Are we up for that?

ThinkI

BTC: 1AxYGFDnnw1PUo8TbQ83PCrenjQJBYU41Z | DVC: 1HKK5tswf8mXGsQng5naNEeqY44ZTHD3MY
markm
Legendary

View Profile WWW
January 23, 2014, 02:52:12 AM

Presumably the specific type of people we are after are people who are members of the DeVCoin community, since basically it is a community currency site or community currency bank. Or maybe even the first initial start toward our "credit union".

In fact maybe the "Credit Union" could start out only doing loans that exist purely on the site, so all the coins people borrow go only to vendors suppliers employees and so on who are themselves part of that same community/site...

...That way we wouldn't be loaning out coins for people to dump on the exchanges, we would be extending credit for people to spend within the community, which is what community credit / community currency is usually considered to be all about.

-MarkM-

ThinkI

View Profile
January 23, 2014, 03:04:12 AM

Presumably the specific type of people we are after are people who are members of the DeVCoin community, since basically it is a ocmmunity currency site or community currency bank. Or maybe even the first initial start toward our "credit union".

-MarkM-

I was thinking about one specific skills to start off with. I am not sure what is most sought after, but lets say artists that are interested in producing graphics for web sites. We pull in all the artists in the community that are interested in working for payments in DevCoin. We then put in our press release that we are building a new resource for web site developers to link the creative resources with the people who need them. If we do not have enough artists we use the web developers requests for work as a way of attracting artists from outside the DevCoin community.

Its basically how dating sites are marketed at the beginning 100s of girls looking for a boy then 1000's of boys looking for a girl. Until the population is sustainable.

Once you have one skill sorted you see if the people providing work want other skills and target people with those skills.
Its a long and tedious process but if you keep promoting it seems to work out eventually. The key is to keep promoting, that's were the money goes.
ThinkI

markm
Legendary

View Profile WWW
January 23, 2014, 03:06:18 AM
Last edit: January 23, 2014, 03:17:51 AM by markm

Well presumably our initial pool of talent is writers right now...

We could go like

"Don't see any articles on Devtome that suit your needs? Join DVCbank and make offers, our authors can write whatever articles you need!"

Then the authors get paid both by the person who wants a specific article written and by the word for writing it on Devtome! Smiley

Then also over time we could tone down the pay in shares from Devtome and the Devtome admins could instead start paying writers to write specific articles the Devtome actually needs.

Also if users find this Cyclos type site is easier for them than an Open Transactions server, the other sites we have waiting in the wings that will each have their own currency issued in Open Transactions can also fire up one of these as a web-based way people can have accoutns denominated in that site's currency without needing to install an Open Transactions client.

(Open Transactions would serve as the "central bank" and cyclos instances as "branches" used by normal folk, each of which has an account at the "central bank" where the actual currency actually resides.)

For example Devtome itself could maybe serve as the first prototype of what the planned sites will be like. Devtome would get a certain number of "shares" each round, and issue Tomecoins onto an Open Transactions server, and the value of Tomecoins could float as people (and Devtome itself) offer whatever number of DeVCoins for however many of the Tomecoins.

Then any number of the Tomecoins that are on the Open Transactions server could be frozen as the security deposit / reserves of a branch of the Bank of Devtome, running Cyclos, so that folk who prefer a web based system can trade with other Devtome community members without even needing a Devcoin wallet let alone an Open Transactions client.

-MarkM-

ranlo
Legendary

Activity: 1974
Merit: 1007

View Profile
January 23, 2014, 03:13:59 AM

Oops new post since the one about auctions, to which I wanted to say

"They can even earn DeVCoins writing up on Devtome their experience of trying to run such a site! Smiley"

I set up an instance of Cyclos adapted to call its default currency "Devcoins" but only two people even bothered to register so next time the server rebooted I never bothered to set the thing up again. If it was on dvcstable01 I won't be able to fire it up again until the new motherboard arrives and is installed, but if it is on dvcstable02 I might be able to fire it up if the load from having to spread everything that had been running on dvcstable01 onto dvcstable02 and dvcstable06 hasn't eaten too many of the system's resources already.

EDIT: Arg it seems I did put it on dvcstable02 but must have set the cyclos user's password to something I don't now recall, maybe so someone could go in and see the actual admin section of it or something.

EDIT 2: Ah figured it out. Okay looks like I should be able to fire it up. Maybe this time people might actually check it out?

EDIT 3: Okay take it for a test drive at http://dvcstable02.dvcnode.org:8080

EDIT 4: Seems more than a couple people created accounts, maybe it was only a couple that actually confirmed their email addresses though thus most probably could not actually do anything maybe not even log on again until they respond(ed) to my enquiry I manually did to check their email address was correct.

-MarkM-

Just signed up (using same name as here). Pending approval.

https://nanogames.io/i-bctalk-n/
Message for info on how to get kickbacks on sites like Nano (above) and CryptoPlay!
ThinkI

View Profile
January 23, 2014, 03:18:44 AM

Well presumably our initial pool of talent is writers right now...

We could go like

"Don't see any articles on Devtome that suit your needs? Join DVCbank and make offers, our authors can write whatever articles you need!"

Then the authors get paid both by the person who wants a specific article written and by the word for writing it on Devtome! Smiley

Then also over time we could tone down the pay in shares from Devtome and the Devtome admins could instead start paying writers to write specific articles the Devtome actually needs.

-MarkM-

Sounds good to me Smiley
I would head towards a particular type of writing. Which is why artists and web developers came to mind. There are a lot of web/software developers on these forum and not enough artistic talent. There are also insufficient people writing installation guides and user guides for the web/software developed.
So there is demand for creative people just in BitCoinTalk.org. Plus the demand is from people who will have no problem converting from there currency to DevCoin.

What is the best way to reach out to the writers on DevTome?

ThinkI

markm
Legendary

View Profile WWW
January 23, 2014, 03:23:38 AM

I recall now why I did confirmation manually. It does not send emails. It probably cannot send emails even, since the domain has not been spam-cleared with all the various authorities and all that so as to have any chance its emails would actually be accepted anywhere. I don't even deliberately run email transports on the servers except maybe the default install of the operatign system includes an email transport local to the machine itself.

So I guess I don't need to confirm your email address since you have just confirmed your forum username which is close enough and likely leaves you more potential anonymity. (Gosh knows whether Theymos knows who the forum's customers are, but since gmail hotmail etc likely don't either it should be as good as it currently gets.)

P.S. I see a new user with handle of "ThinkI" on the DVCbank already, might that be anyone here? Smiley

Or is it someone trying to impersonate someone who is here?

-MarkM-

sidhujag
Legendary

Activity: 2044

View Profile
January 23, 2014, 03:31:45 AM

Which wallet?

Did you check the TX on the block chain? Put your address in there and check your balance.. is it right? You may need to redownload the blockchain... Im not sure if checkpointing helps in these cases, maybe markm knows if there is a way to not have to download the entire blockchain but up to the earlier checkpoint only? Is it rescan?

I am using the latest sourceforge wallet version, and the tx does not show up on the blockchain.

My balance is right except for the transaction which took away 10 mil.

Any suggestions?

What fee were you charged? Maybe not
enough?

Good thing is you still have your coins if block explorer is showing them still.. You can rescan the blockchain to add missing transactions to your balance.

run devcoin-qt -rescan by typing in a terminal in the devcoin directory:
./devcoin-qt -rescan

Then run client again and see if its updated... please try again post the tx lets see if it works.. maybe fee for large tx is off? Lets see.
markm
Legendary

View Profile WWW
January 23, 2014, 03:36:01 AM

That rescan IS a running again of the client.

It IS the client. So don't run another copy of the client after doing it with -rescan, just continue along with the copy that you started with the -rescan.

(Otr, kill that oen first if you do want to start another such as if you don't want to tie up a text terminal/window for it to stay running in.)

Also, kill the existing copy before running a copy with the -rescan, two copies both trying to access the same data directory is not good.

-MarkM-

ThinkI

View Profile
January 23, 2014, 03:39:39 AM

:::

P.S. I see a new user with handle of "ThinkI" on the DVCbank already, might that be anyone here? Smiley

Or is it someone trying to impersonate someone who is here?

-MarkM-

I only ever impersonate myself Smiley

Ranlo, whats your area of interest?

ThinkI

markm
Legendary

View Profile WWW
January 23, 2014, 03:39:54 AM

I see a dalamar96 on the DVCbank too, and wow its from today too.

Looks like maybe a lot of the users I thought had been from long ago and not confirmed simply signed up so fast they were already there by the time I managed to get logged in as administrator!

So if you are one of them let me know here so I can change you from the default initial status of inactive member to a full member.

-MarkM-

sidhujag
Legendary

View Profile
January 23, 2014, 03:40:53 AM

That recan IS a running again of the client.

It IS the client. So don't run another copy of the client after doing it with -rescan, just continue along with the copy tht you started with the -rescan.

Also, kill the existing copy before runnign a copy with the -rescan, two copies both trying to access the same data directory is not good.

-MarkM-

Oh ok... yea you should always let the process close gracefully even though it takes a minute.. Never end the process from taskbar.
sidhujag
Legendary

View Profile
January 23, 2014, 03:44:32 AM

I think adding material to devtome that has been requested is a pretty sweet idea.. not only would writers be
getting paid ALOT MORE because they are paid twice and shares wouldnt be as diluted initially but I wouldnt mind devtome at all then.. its what people want to read amd useful.. I would read on there then and im sure others would.. and we wouldnt have all the shares going to devtome opening up other project funding or bounties.
sidhujag
Legendary

View Profile
January 23, 2014, 05:01:26 AM

Whats the status on moneychanger? Wasnt it supposed to be the grandma holy grail bounty awarded client? What is it missing, conversion from sys tray to a gui? How big of a bite is that one?

Curious why java was not chosen so it would be easy to run on android?

Does monetas have a ui for OT?
Pages: « 1 ... 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 179 180 181 182 183 184 185 186 187 188 189 190 191 192 193 194 195 196 197 198 199 200 201 202 203 204 205 206 207 208 209 210 211 212 213 214 215 216 217 218 219 [220] 221 222 223 224 225 226 227 228 229 230 231 232 233 234 235 236 237 238 239 240 241 242 243 244 245 246 247 248 249 250 251 252 253 254 255 256 257 258 259 260 261 262 263 264 265 266 267 268 269 270 ... 442 »
  Print  

Jump to: