Bitcoin Forum
April 20, 2024, 04:34:35 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 186 187 188 189 190 191 192 193 194 195 196 197 198 199 200 201 202 203 204 205 206 207 208 209 210 211 212 213 214 215 216 217 218 219 220 221 222 223 224 225 226 227 228 229 230 231 232 233 234 235 [236] 237 238 239 240 241 242 243 244 245 246 247 248 249 250 251 252 253 254 255 256 257 258 259 260 261 262 263 264 265 266 267 268 269 270 271 272 273 274 275 276 277 278 279 280 281 282 283 284 285 286 ... 442 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [DVC]DevCoin - Official Thread - Moderated  (Read 1058398 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic.
weisoq

Activity: 720
Merit: 500

View Profile
January 29, 2014, 04:04:15 PM

I found the bug in devcoin source where sometimes it would make the fee jump to an enormous amount when sending coins, and even worse using the daemon it would autoconfirm these enormous amounts and coins would be lost in fees.

The IsDust() function was checking for initially 54uBTC amounts as dust, but ofcoures devcoin fees are 5k higher so I multiplied this dust by 5k... however seems this didn't have the intended affect as there is somewhere in the code that ends up using MAX_MONEY for fees if this dust is changed. I reverted back to the original bitcoin IsDust() and now the min amount of coins to be sent is 3 or 4 DVC... which I think is a good sacrifice for fixing the bug. I don't want to touch the function unless I know it will work for sure. It depends on the GetMinFee which changed based on our basefee/10 adding to every transaction output.

I will upload the fix to my github and you should update what you are running to this one to avoid this bug. Also notice that the original devcoin source used the first 4k bytes in the block as "free" transaction area where in bitcoin it was 27k and so I changed it to 4k to match devcoin..

Uploaded 1.0.14 win32 binary for those who can't compile: https://sourceforge.net/projects/devcoin/files/?source=navbar
The new code/client is still under test right? Why is it being used already for big transactions.

bitfx-trader I've used similar metastock charts in devtome articles. Found something in their forum that said ok if you mention metastock was used. I didn't actually consider the creative commons vs copyright issue on the images, that's a good point.

Edit: Also, why is this thread under 'announcements'?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
If you want to be a moderator, report many posts with accuracy. You will be noticed.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
emfox

Activity: 276
Merit: 102

View Profile
January 29, 2014, 04:30:23 PM

I found the bug in devcoin source where sometimes it would make the fee jump to an enormous amount when sending coins, and even worse using the daemon it would autoconfirm these enormous amounts and coins would be lost in fees.

The IsDust() function was checking for initially 54uBTC amounts as dust, but ofcoures devcoin fees are 5k higher so I multiplied this dust by 5k... however seems this didn't have the intended affect as there is somewhere in the code that ends up using MAX_MONEY for fees if this dust is changed. I reverted back to the original bitcoin IsDust() and now the min amount of coins to be sent is 3 or 4 DVC... which I think is a good sacrifice for fixing the bug. I don't want to touch the function unless I know it will work for sure. It depends on the GetMinFee which changed based on our basefee/10 adding to every transaction output.

I will upload the fix to my github and you should update what you are running to this one to avoid this bug. Also notice that the original devcoin source used the first 4k bytes in the block as "free" transaction area where in bitcoin it was 27k and so I changed it to 4k to match devcoin..

Uploaded 1.0.14 win32 binary for those who can't compile: https://sourceforge.net/projects/devcoin/files/?source=navbar

OK, I compiled and run devcoind, currently nothing wrong happen, and yes when I try to send 2 dvcs out it said amount too small, and 3 dvcs it's just been sent out.  so when will it be 3 and when be 4 dvc became the min amount ?

Earn Devcoins by Writing
BTC: 1Emfox1WswYcd2YucUskRzqfRWKkcm1Jut DVC: 1Emfox1WswYcd2YucUskRzqfRWKkcm1Jut
IXC: xnRKo3qSDdcPJ4pgTLER3orkquUVQXeLwf
emfox

Activity: 276
Merit: 102

View Profile
January 29, 2014, 04:39:48 PM

The new code/client is still under test right? Why is it being used already for big transactions.

bitfx-trader I've used similar metastock charts in devtome articles. Found something in their forum that said ok if you mention metastock was used. I didn't actually consider the creative commons vs copyright issue on the images, that's a good point.

It's not being using for big transactions, but small enough ones, and it do take away big fees.

And if no one test this on their real wallet, how could we find out this issue when release out new wallet?

Earn Devcoins by Writing
BTC: 1Emfox1WswYcd2YucUskRzqfRWKkcm1Jut DVC: 1Emfox1WswYcd2YucUskRzqfRWKkcm1Jut
IXC: xnRKo3qSDdcPJ4pgTLER3orkquUVQXeLwf
bit-fxtrader

Activity: 166
Merit: 100

View Profile
January 29, 2014, 05:11:02 PM

So is leaving the the text on the charts that says broker X MetaTrader....MetaQuotes etc.... enough or do I need to specifically mention it somewhere else in the text too?
sidhujag
Legendary

Activity: 2044
Merit: 1005

View Profile
January 29, 2014, 05:38:28 PM

OK, I compiled and run devcoind, currently nothing wrong happen, and yes when I try to send 2 dvcs out it said amount too small, and 3 dvcs it's just been sent out.  so when will it be 3 and when be 4 dvc became the min amount ?

Correct.. on previous versions its really easy to ruplicate. If you have small payments in your balance maybe like 100.0006 or something from before and you try to spend it then it becomes high fee (max money) is default if it messes up... however on the qt ylu have a confirmation so you simply press no.

About one in every 20 or so times id see this message that the tx is too big and it uses a huge fee.. I said no and ignored.. In my wallet now since I was testimg I guess there is somr small payments in there and it always gives me a large fee when I try to send... and when I reverted the dust checking function its now fixed... further it takes 1 dvc mostly as fee unless your tx falls withon the non free section of the
block then its 5 dvc added every 1k byte of transaction size you send.. usually for a singlr payment its 6 dvc or under.. like the old client... so now it works properly I think.

We just need to mergemine with it and the pool operator seems
to not want to get back to me so im stuck waiting for him to update his dvc
node.
weisoq

View Profile
January 29, 2014, 06:28:53 PM

So is leaving the the text on the charts that says broker X MetaTrader....MetaQuotes etc.... enough or do I need to specifically mention it somewhere else in the text too?
I don't know. Metastock specifically say to mention charts were created with metastock, I'm not sure what the situation is with metatrader so wouldn't want to 2nd guess. On bigger picture of copyright images on a creative commons repository, I guess that retains the origin copyright so at minimum should probably say that too but I need to look into it more.

emfox: yes I also tested small amounts and it's necessary, but seems smeagol's having issues with big one.
bit-fxtrader

View Profile
January 29, 2014, 06:45:36 PM

are wikipedia pics considered open source?
bit-fxtrader

View Profile
January 29, 2014, 06:47:54 PM

also what charting packages / charts are you guys using when writing about cryptos? I saw a few charts  on devtome and I couldn't figure out where they come from.

Wekkel
Legendary

Activity: 3108
Merit: 1531

yes

View Profile
January 29, 2014, 07:48:09 PM

Upgraded from 1.0.8 to 1.0.14, is running fine.

Test payment sent to weisoq.

sidhujag
Legendary

View Profile
January 29, 2014, 07:52:53 PM

Nice is android wallet also sending/recving coins with 1.0.14?
weisoq

View Profile
January 29, 2014, 08:06:58 PM

Received and sent back.

bitfxtrader They should be, but if you click on an wiki image it well tell you all about it.
novacadian

Activity: 232
Merit: 104

View Profile WWW
January 29, 2014, 08:09:52 PM

My understanding of Open Source is that whatever it is (IT product, toy, artwork, literature etc) is almost always produced to meet a specific purpose or illustrate a concept/theory/fantasy. It is what happens at that point that determines if it is Proprietary or Open Source.

With Open Source works, the steps to the solution, (in IT this is the code) and the conceptual development are available for anyone else to use/adapt/change and put to any purpose they wish. (Including producing proprietary products for sale. Staying with IT; proprietary developers don't have to allow others to use their modification code when building new products based on Open Source code)

So you are envisioning bounties whereby the distribution does not take place via some community site but one might, for example, do the work on the server of someone requesting the work and thereby not releasing the code to the general public?

If this is the case then that happens daily in the hard cash world and it is hard to see what the advantages would be for a programmer to jump through all the hoops and risk of getting paid in DVC when the world works like that already.

As a writer that means the work I declare Open Source and publish on Devtome can even be used on someone else's commercially purchased birthday card as long as they credit my work. *Digression warning.. That is a cool idea really..that would be like a little random happy birthday from me to a complete stranger Wink I should write some birthday poems.

To bother to put an Open Source copyright on literature, of any kind, seems redundant to me when Public Domain fits just as well. It seems to cloud the issue and mandate of this project. The cookbook was a cute example of a piece of, potentially, algorythmic literature (as any how to would be) yet public domain covers it. This is because different copyright laws apply to literature than software. One can quote certain percentages of literature without breaking a copyright so one could take supposed Open Sourced literature, quote much larger sections if one wanted, bring in your own comments and then make the entire piece proprietary. This cannot be done with Open Source code.

It is like the discussion earlier on this thread about Open Sourced music. It does not work because someone can make changes and not continue the Open Source but move it into proprietary status. The same would work for supposedly Open Sourced literature.

Either way, the code is out there for someone else to use.

You are giving me a mixed messages. Is the finished bounties to be out there for everyone or only if those putting up the bounties decide to release it? This is sounding worse than my original assumptions.

- Nova

DVC Address : 1EfsiVUECqmR5Qx7C4PkmwadDXYuSGzssL
Wekkel
Legendary

Activity: 3108
Merit: 1531

yes

View Profile
January 29, 2014, 09:07:22 PM

Nice is android wallet also sending/recving coins with 1.0.14?

Yes, back and forth. Did not yet test micro payments.

Juan Taun

Activity: 72
Merit: 10

Me llamo Juan Tuan. Quiero comida China.

View Profile
January 29, 2014, 10:23:20 PM

Just signed up as a writer!  What else can I do besides write?

Hunterbunter

Activity: 994
Merit: 1000

View Profile
January 29, 2014, 10:32:41 PM

Hey guys, here's my submission for the investment plan bounty. A publicly traded business could quite easily be generated that uses its strategy.

http://www.devtome.com/doku.php?id=ema-volatility_trading_algorithm_for_bots

It's the description and algorithm of a trading bot I've developed and have been using for bitcoins for a few months now with some success. It's intended to work with a bot but can be run manually if you're crazy enough.

just curious... did u test this on dogecoins recently? i noticed on crypto-trade within the last day or two there was an odd "oscillation" between two prices, and thought to myself "looks like a series of 'bot trades'...."

if so, it seemed to be working, and didn't seem to have much effect on the overall trend.... the trading range of the "oscillation" was only about 1%, but there were about 50 trades... it was an interesting graph.... i should have saved an image of it

Heya, no that wasn't me...I've only been using it for bitcoins at the moment...sounds cool tho Smiley.

also what charting packages / charts are you guys using when writing about cryptos? I saw a few charts  on devtome and I couldn't figure out where they come from.

I used a screenshot of http://bitcoinwisdom.com/markets/mtgox/btcusd and photoshop for mine.
smeagol
Legendary

Activity: 1008

View Profile
January 29, 2014, 10:36:47 PM

Did you ever get the issue with your 10 million Devcoins being in limbo resolved? I was hoping that someone was going to be able to help you out.

The block explorer shows that I have the coins, but they are not in my spendable balance according to the -qt.

Would exporting the privkey, deleting the wallet.dat, and then importing the privkey work?
smeagol
Legendary

View Profile
January 29, 2014, 10:40:56 PM

I appreciate any help I can get!
smeagol
Legendary

View Profile
January 29, 2014, 10:44:07 PM

Hey guys, here's my submission for the investment plan bounty. A publicly traded business could quite easily be generated that uses its strategy.

http://www.devtome.com/doku.php?id=ema-volatility_trading_algorithm_for_bots

It's the description and algorithm of a trading bot I've developed and have been using for bitcoins for a few months now with some success. It's intended to work with a bot but can be run manually if you're crazy enough.

Wow, nice!  Great article as well as investment plan.  This is a great base for a cryptocoin investment company.  How could I implement your code into a bot?  I'm not a very experienced pythoner.  Smiley

You will receive 6 shares for your plan.  What's your devcoin address?
smeagol
Legendary

View Profile
January 29, 2014, 10:46:35 PM

Just signed up as a writer!  What else can I do besides write?

I'm the bounty admin.  You can propose bounties.  See more info here: http://www.devtome.com/doku.php?id=devcoin_bounty
sidhujag
Legendary

View Profile
January 29, 2014, 11:01:37 PM

Did you ever get the issue with your 10 million Devcoins being in limbo resolved? I was hoping that someone was going to be able to help you out.

The block explorer shows that I have the coins, but they are not in my spendable balance according to the -qt.

Would exporting the privkey, deleting the wallet.dat, and then importing the privkey work?

Yes
Pages: « 1 ... 186 187 188 189 190 191 192 193 194 195 196 197 198 199 200 201 202 203 204 205 206 207 208 209 210 211 212 213 214 215 216 217 218 219 220 221 222 223 224 225 226 227 228 229 230 231 232 233 234 235 [236] 237 238 239 240 241 242 243 244 245 246 247 248 249 250 251 252 253 254 255 256 257 258 259 260 261 262 263 264 265 266 267 268 269 270 271 272 273 274 275 276 277 278 279 280 281 282 283 284 285 286 ... 442 »
  Print  

Jump to: