Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 01:42:37 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Are the mods getting paid from this forum?  (Read 10695 times)
escrow.ms
Legendary

Activity: 1274
Merit: 1004

View Profile
June 15, 2013, 09:49:11 AM

Theymos sells ad services and earns money. What's your business what he does with his own money again? Huh

If i'm not wrong theymos is just a caretaker like other admins, he does not own's this forum, and it's not his private property.
Real owner is satoshi.

"Your bitcoin is secured in a way that is physically impossible for others to access, no matter for what reason, no matter how good the excuse, no matter a majority of miners, no matter what." -- Greg Maxwell
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
ElectricMucus
Legendary

Activity: 1666
Merit: 1057

Marketing manager - GO MP

View Profile WWW
June 15, 2013, 09:51:57 AM

Theymos sells ad services and earns money. What's your business what he does with his own money again? Huh

If i'm not wrong theymos is just a caretaker like other admins, he does not own's this forum, and it's not his private property.
Real owner is satoshi.

No actually its Jesus.
Matthew N. Wright
Untrustworthy

Activity: 588
Merit: 500

Hero VIP ultra official trusted super staff puppet

View Profile
June 15, 2013, 09:57:11 AM
Last edit: June 15, 2013, 10:57:08 AM by Matthew N. Wright

boy, you really pissed in Mathews cheerios huh ?  Wink

Is that what that taste was? I thought it was the milk.

You run paid libel/smear campaigns against companies you don't like
It's not libel if it's factually correct.
It's factually correct that Ripple is a "scam"? Who have they scammed and for how much exactly? Are you confusing "lie" with "scam"? If Ripple is a scam, Bitcoin is a ponzi.  Roll Eyes

Real owner is satoshi.

I'd love a clarification from Theymos on that. I see many other people with the "staff" tag, but I seem to remember him being the only "admin", so I guess it's just his personal company site and the only thing keeping everyone's avatars turning into giant penises is because Theymos doesn't care to do it (and because there aren't enough people who do it on their own).

Bitcoin is such a tiny, microscopic and yet insignificant project in the face of almost anything else in the world, even Linux is more popular and even that is seen as having a tiny user base in the face of the open public (despite being kind of skewed and incorrect). I think for any forum that has a majority of bitcoin users accessing it, there needs to be much more transparency and decentralized control than just Theymos' whim.

I guess it's time to start one.

escrow.ms
Legendary

Activity: 1274
Merit: 1004

View Profile
June 15, 2013, 10:41:38 AM
Last edit: June 15, 2013, 10:52:52 AM by escrow.ms

Quote from: Matthew N. Wright link=topic=234009.msg2481764#msg2481764

I'd love a clarification from Theymos on that. I see many other people with the "staff" tag, but I seem to remember him being the only "admin", so I guess it's just his personal company site and the only thing keeping everyone's avatars turning into giant penises is because Theymos doesn't care to do it (and because there aren't enough people who do it on their own).

Looks like you didn't seen him
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?action=profile;u=2211

But yeah, theymos is main, others are appointed by him.
bonker

Activity: 784
Merit: 502

View Profile
June 15, 2013, 10:43:26 AM

If mods are getting paid, then I too want some kickback for my epic wisdom contributed!

.Minter.                       ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
                  ▄▄▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▄▄
               ▄▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▄
            ,▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▄
          ,▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▄
         ▒▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓
        ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓█▀█▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀█▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓
       ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓    █▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓   ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓
      █▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓    ▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓   ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓
      ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓█▓▓▄   ▀▓▀   ▓▓   ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓
     ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓   ▓▓▓▄     ▄▓▓▓   ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌
     ╟▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓   ▓▓▓▓▓▄ ▄▓▓▓▓▓   ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌
     ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓   ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓   ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌
      ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓   ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓   ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓
      ║▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓   ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓   ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌
       ▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓   ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓   ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓
        ▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓
         ╙▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀
           ▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀
             ▀█▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀
                ▀█▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓█▀
                     ▀▀██▓▓▓▓▓▓▓██▀▀
||

╓▒▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▒
▒▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓
▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓█▀▀▀▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓
▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓         ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌
▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓         ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌
▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌        ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌
▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓         ▀╜        ╙▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌
▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓                      ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌
▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌                       ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌
▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓                        ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌
▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓         ▓▓▓▓▓▌         ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌
▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌         ▓▓▓▓▓          ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌
▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓⌐         ▓▓▓▓▓         ╣▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌
▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓         ▀█▀▀^         ╫▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌
▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌                      ▒▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌
▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓                     ▒▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌
▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓                 #▒▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌
▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌
▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓
 ▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀
 ╙▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀
WALLET

▄▄████
              ▄▄████████▌
         ▄▄█████████▀███
    ▄▄██████████▀▀ ▄███▌
▄████████████▀▀  ▄█████
▀▀▀███████▀   ▄███████▌
      ██    ▄█████████
       █  ▄██████████▌
       █  ███████████
       █ ██▀ ▀██████▌
       ██▀     ▀████
                 ▀█
Matthew N. Wright
Untrustworthy

View Profile
June 15, 2013, 10:58:07 AM

You're right, I saw that and completely forgot about it. That said, Stefan is far too busy to respond to Skype much less actually administer the forums. It's safe to say that Theymos is the only *active* admin, and the owner of the site.

pekv2

Activity: 770

View Profile
June 15, 2013, 12:31:10 PM

The ad auctions say, "In order to collect more money for the creation of good forum software and for other useful purposes... ."

Been watching this subject for a while now, wanted to get most info, and be calm before commenting. I'll chim in my opinion.

Theymos, by far, that gots to be the best way to avoid letting members know what really is going on. It's like keeping members completely totally out of the lope. In my book this is a form of distrust. Now that this was called out and caught prior of you notifying "whether you're entitled to or not" members is completely unacceptable, this is my opinion though. Now that this was called out and caught, makes me wonder what else is going on.

It's not the part that the mods get paid, that's fine, its the fact that members was notified after the fact of the matter of the subject was called out, then it was decided to be told. Is this a form of censoring?

This one little subject, imo, just opened up a can of worms.

Sad
r3wt

Activity: 686
Merit: 504

always the student, never the master.

View Profile
June 15, 2013, 12:35:05 PM

The ad auctions say, "In order to collect more money for the creation of good forum software and for other useful purposes... ."

Been watching this subject for a while now, wanted to get most info, and be calm before commenting. I'll chim in my opinion.

Theymos, by far, that gots to be the best way to avoid letting members know what really is going on. It's like keeping members completely totally out of the lope. In my book this is a form of distrust. Now that this was called out and caught prior of you notifying "whether you're entitled to or not" members is completely unacceptable, this is my opinion though. Now that this was called out and caught, makes me wonder what else is going on.

It's not the part that the mods get paid, that's fine, its the fact that members was notified after the fact of the matter of the subject was called out, then it was decided to be told. Is this a form of censoring?

Sad

Well they are obviously using the popularity of Bitcoin and this board to pad their pockets while offering little new features(besides the trust feature of course. )

Is it morally wrong for them to do that?: possibly.

Did they work hard to be in the position to make money off of it? : assuredly.

Is it their right to make money off of it: yes.

would you or i do the same thing in their position: probably.

My negative trust rating is reflective of a personal vendetta by someone on default trust.
pekv2

Activity: 770

View Profile
June 15, 2013, 12:39:22 PM

Sad

I used distrust, I think I may have selected the wrong term, and should have used dishonesty to be more appropriate, so my apologies for that one misused term.
ranlo
Legendary

Activity: 1974
Merit: 1007

View Profile
June 15, 2013, 01:38:17 PM

I heard that the perks include

1.   Lamborghini with chauffeur (female btw, Victoria Secret's standard and above)
2.   $5000/a minute moderating
3.   Weekly payments via Bitcoins
4.   Helicopter in case of emergency trips
5.   Israel Iron Dome installations to protect against angry scammers' homemade missiles......

What have I missed? Smiley

Please sign me up. I'll even give everyone daily handjobs and get everyone's coffee for them and lunch as they desire!

https://nanogames.io/i-bctalk-n/
Message for info on how to get kickbacks on sites like Nano (above) and CryptoPlay!
QuestionAuthority
Legendary

Activity: 2156
Merit: 1393

You lead and I'll watch you walk away.

View Profile
June 15, 2013, 04:02:29 PM

You're right, I saw that and completely forgot about it. That said, Stefan is far too busy to respond to Skype much less actually administer the forums. It's safe to say that Theymos is the only *active* admin, and the owner of the site.

Where do you people get your information? Don't you ever read this forum? Mark Karpeles owns the forum and justmoon (Stefan Thomas) is the other admin with full rights and direct access to the database. Justmoon was to take over when theymos is away. Any funds collected would by rights belong to MagicalTux.

Matthew N. Wright
Untrustworthy

View Profile
June 15, 2013, 04:03:35 PM

Where do you people get your information? Don't you ever read this forum? Mark Karpeles owns the forum and justmoon (Stefan Thomas) is the other admin with full rights and direct access to the database. Justmoon was to take over when theymos is away. Any funds collected would by rights belong to MagicalTux.

I've never looked it up. Where did you get yours? I'd love to see proof of that because that would make me even more depressed at the state of things than I already am.

QuestionAuthority
Legendary

View Profile
June 15, 2013, 04:06:42 PM

I've never looked it up. Where did you get yours? I'd love to see proof of that because that would make me even more depressed at the state of things than I already am.

I can't remember the exact threads but will run a query later and get it for you.

BadBear
v2.0
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 1127

View Profile WWW
June 15, 2013, 04:19:15 PM

I'd like to see that too, as far as I know MtGox/Mark just hosted the forum for a while for free, until theymos found a more suitable place. If anyone were to be considered the owner, it would be sirius IMO, as he owns the domain. Only reason his account isn't an admin account is because he isn't very active on the forums anymore, and having unused accounts with admin privileges isn't good practice.

1Kz25jm6pjNTaz8bFezEYUeBYfEtpjuKRG | PGP: B5797C4F

Tired of annoying signature ads? Ad block for signatures
Matthew N. Wright
Untrustworthy

View Profile
June 15, 2013, 04:20:59 PM

having unused accounts with admin privileges isn't good practice.

True dat. Almost as bad as having unused funds sitting around on a non-profit community forum and continuing to collect.

r3wt

View Profile
June 15, 2013, 04:25:32 PM

having unused accounts with admin privileges isn't good practice.

True dat. Almost as bad as having unused funds sitting around on a non-profit community forum and continuing to collect.

Your shtick is getting old man. Like you wouldn't do the same? Start your own website and make your own money. don't criticize others on how they are spending theirs.

My negative trust rating is reflective of a personal vendetta by someone on default trust.
Matthew N. Wright
Untrustworthy

View Profile
June 15, 2013, 04:53:11 PM

Your shtick is getting old man. Like you wouldn't do the same?

No, I wouldn't do the same. I would ask for funds when I thought I needed them, use them for the intended purpose, and if that purpose were to fail, would return the funds as I always have. I understand you think I'm just barking because you don't know me or what I've accomplished in 2 years here in the community, but you're the newbie here, not me. There is no excuse for holding the funds for a year under the guise of a new forum software that has never even begun to be developed.

r3wt

View Profile
June 15, 2013, 04:56:12 PM

Your shtick is getting old man. Like you wouldn't do the same?

No, I wouldn't do the same. I would ask for funds when I thought I needed them, use them for the intended purpose, and if that purpose were to fail, would return the funds as I always have. I understand you think I'm just barking because you don't know me or what I've accomplished in 2 years here in the community, but you're the newbie here, not me. There is no excuse for holding the funds for a year under the guise of a new forum software that has never even begun to be developed.

Why couldn't you have left your original complaint at that? instead you continue to nickel and dime them in a passive aggressive fashion. I think that as long as you continue to be hostile towards them they won't get in any hurry to address your concerns. just my opinion. carry on.

QuestionAuthority
Legendary

View Profile
June 15, 2013, 04:57:57 PM

Well it seems to be gone: https://bitcoin.org.uk/forums/topic/244-confirmed-bitcointalk-hack-rumour-sirius-to-resign-mtgox-will-take-over-management-of-bitcointalk-forum/page__view__findpost__p__1420

Here's the other one: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=107085.0

QuestionAuthority
Legendary

View Profile
June 15, 2013, 04:59:53 PM

I'd like to see that too, as far as I know MtGox/Mark just hosted the forum for a while for free, until theymos found a more suitable place. If anyone were to be considered the owner, it would be sirius IMO, as he owns the domain. Only reason his account isn't an admin account is because he isn't very active on the forums anymore, and having unused accounts with admin privileges isn't good practice.

Maybe that's the case now. I remember reading this a looong time ago.

Edit: misinformation is the reason to release info ahead of time. This thread could have been avoided with an early release of info.

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: