Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 07:01:16 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Are the mods getting paid from this forum?  (Read 10695 times)
theymos
Administrator
Legendary

Activity: 5180
Merit: 12884

View Profile
June 15, 2013, 05:07:36 PM

The forum is no longer associated with MtGox in any way.

1NXYoJ5xU91Jp83XfVMHwwTUyZFK64BoAD
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Matthew N. Wright
Untrustworthy

Activity: 588
Merit: 500

Hero VIP ultra official trusted super staff puppet

View Profile
June 15, 2013, 05:08:25 PM

Who owns it?

greyhawk

Activity: 938
Merit: 1009

View Profile
June 15, 2013, 05:30:36 PM

I do. Here's the truth: The forum is in reality a giant prank instigated by me to make fun of Bitcoiners.

I'm sorry you had to learn it this way.  Sad
John (John K.)
Global Troll-buster and
Legendary

Activity: 1288
Merit: 1225

Away on an extended break

View Profile
June 15, 2013, 05:33:01 PM

Who owns it?

Sirius owns the domain, and theymos owns the server.

At least that's what I guess I understand here...
Matthew N. Wright
Untrustworthy

View Profile
June 15, 2013, 05:36:44 PM

I do. Here's the truth: The forum is in reality a giant prank instigated by me to make fun of Bitcoiners.

I'm sorry you had to learn it this way.  Sad

Did you also make BFL?

theymos
Administrator
Legendary

View Profile
June 15, 2013, 06:27:13 PM

Who owns it?

Depends on your definition of ownership. Different resources are controlled by different people. Private Internet Access has ultimate control of the server. Sirius owns the domain. A lot of the money is managed in accordance with the Treasury Agreements, which defines a somewhat more complex organizational structure, though these agreements don't rule the entire forum. I coordinate it all, but I have no ultimate, binding authority over anything except the bitcoins that I hold (and I'd like to reduce this). No one person can permanently shut down the forum.

Matthew N. Wright
Untrustworthy

View Profile
June 15, 2013, 06:28:54 PM

Who owns it?

Depends on your definition of ownership. Different resources are controlled by different people. Private Internet Access has ultimate control of the server. Sirius owns the domain. A lot of the money is managed in accordance with the Treasury Agreements, which defines a somewhat more complex organizational structure, though these agreements don't rule the entire forum. I coordinate it all, but I have no ultimate, binding authority over anything. No one person can permanently shut down the forum.

No one said anything about shutting down, as you know that isn't the issue. The issue is operating under false pretenses. Saying it can't be shut down by one person simply means honest people will have a hard time calling out dishonesty when they see it.

theymos
Administrator
Legendary

View Profile
June 15, 2013, 06:37:31 PM

You asked who owned the forum, and I gave you a detailed answer. Someone who can't shut down a site clearly doesn't own it, wouldn't you say? No one person can shut down the forum, so I like to say that no one owns the forum. Alternatively, you could maybe say that the forum is owned by a corporation-like entity with a very unusual structure.

BadBear
v2.0
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 1127

View Profile WWW
June 15, 2013, 06:48:04 PM

Edit: misinformation is the reason to release info ahead of time. This thread could have been avoided with an early release of info.

Maybe. I suspect the result would be same either way, most of the complaints are related to forum policy in general ("you're being paid, why isn't x being done"). This thread has been mostly positive, relative to this forum anyway. I appreciate that most see the value, gives me the fuzzies inside  Wink.

1Kz25jm6pjNTaz8bFezEYUeBYfEtpjuKRG | PGP: B5797C4F

Tired of annoying signature ads? Ad block for signatures
greyhawk

View Profile
June 15, 2013, 06:50:31 PM

gives me the fuzzies inside  Wink.

You should see a doctor about that, it may be diabetes.
r3wt

Activity: 686
Merit: 504

always the student, never the master.

View Profile
June 15, 2013, 06:50:54 PM

gives me the fuzzies inside  Wink.

You should see a doctor about that, it may be diabetes.

+1

My negative trust rating is reflective of a personal vendetta by someone on default trust.
Matthew N. Wright
Untrustworthy

View Profile
June 15, 2013, 06:52:14 PM

Someone who can't shut down a site clearly doesn't own it, wouldn't you say?

So you're saying the US government owns this site? That's a pretty non-answer you've given.

Would it be fair to say that you own it, but there are others who have administrator privileges and certain steps have been taken to require other people who work for you to agree before a very select few actions can be taken, correct?

r3wt

Activity: 686
Merit: 504

always the student, never the master.

View Profile
June 15, 2013, 06:53:41 PM

So you're saying the US government owns this site? That's a pretty non-answer you've given.

Would it be fair to say that you own it, but there are others who have administrator privileges and certain steps have been taken to require other people who work for you to agree before a very select few actions can be taken, correct?

actually i believe he's saying its none of your fucking business, in the most polite and respectful way as possible.

My negative trust rating is reflective of a personal vendetta by someone on default trust.
QuestionAuthority
Legendary

Activity: 2156
Merit: 1393

You lead and I'll watch you walk away.

View Profile
June 15, 2013, 07:09:11 PM

Edit: misinformation is the reason to release info ahead of time. This thread could have been avoided with an early release of info.

Maybe. I suspect the result would be same either way, most of the complaints are related to forum policy in general ("you're being paid, why isn't x being done"). This thread has been mostly positive, relative to this forum anyway. I appreciate that most see the value, gives me the fuzzies inside  Wink.

Forum policy will always be debated. That will never stop at any forum. The problem is that distributing funds collected from the ad revenue generated by a company with a reputation that is, at the very least, tarnished and then effectively hiding it's distribution to pay people we thought worked for free looks really bad. If mgmt wants to pay for work at the forum that's fine. Good for you, most of you deserve it for doing a crappy job. But don't let us all believe this place is for the people by the people instead of just another for profit org. I now have to believe that all the complaints I've read about BFL have fallen on deaf ears because the forum is in their pocket. It could have been handled so much better than it was.

theymos
Administrator
Legendary

View Profile
June 15, 2013, 07:22:47 PM

Logic fail.

No.

BadBear
v2.0
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 1127

View Profile WWW
June 15, 2013, 07:33:59 PM

I dunno, not giving BFL a scammer tag is perfectly consistent with other decisions so I don't get the fuss, like Pirate, Mining United, and the various other long cons. Correlation =/= causation.

I'd be fine with stopping BFL from buying ads just to stop the complaints and any perceived bias, but I suspect we'd see just as many complaints from people who don't want to see any one person deciding what content they should or shouldn't see.

1Kz25jm6pjNTaz8bFezEYUeBYfEtpjuKRG | PGP: B5797C4F

Tired of annoying signature ads? Ad block for signatures
QuestionAuthority
Legendary

Activity: 2156
Merit: 1393

You lead and I'll watch you walk away.

View Profile
June 15, 2013, 07:42:33 PM

I dunno, not giving BFL a scammer tag is perfectly consistent with other decisions so I don't get the fuss, like Pirate, Mining United, and the various other long cons. Correlation =/= causation.

I'd be fine with stopping BFL from buying ads just to stop the complaints and any perceived bias, but I suspect we'd see just as many complaints from people who don't want to see any one person deciding what content they should or shouldn't see.

And here we have the quandary, I no longer know that I can trust what you're saying because it may be biased.

I never said to stop BFL or anyone from posting here, running their own threads or limiting their voice. That's the one thing I really do appreciate about this forum. Their voice will have to compete with all the voices against them. I only said stop paying yourselves with their money to eliminate suspicion.

Scott J
Legendary

Activity: 1792
Merit: 1000

View Profile
June 15, 2013, 07:43:53 PM

Your shtick is getting old man. Like you wouldn't do the same?

No, I wouldn't do the same. I would ask for funds when I thought I needed them, use them for the intended purpose, and if that purpose were to fail, would return the funds as I always have. I understand you think I'm just barking because you don't know me or what I've accomplished in 2 years here in the community, but you're the newbie here, not me. There is no excuse for holding the funds for a year under the guise of a new forum software that has never even begun to be developed.
Haven't you heard?

When BTC goes to $10,000/coin, we'll share the bounty according to post count/sign up date/trust rating/etc.

Can't wait for 2016  Cool
a1phanumrc

Activity: 112
Merit: 10

View Profile
June 15, 2013, 07:50:09 PM

I only said stop paying yourselves with their money to eliminate suspicion.

Why should they? Ad money from BFL or anyone else is just ad money... Objectively auctioned to the highest bidder. This has not, from what I've seen, caused the moderators or administrator to pull threads negative to BFL. In fact, you'll notice that there are PLENTY of BFL flame threads on the forum.

Now, if they accepted ad money to censor negative threads against BFL then there might be cause for alarm... but I see no evidence of this. Saying you don't trust BadBear or others in charge here is a pretty bold statement when all they've done is be objective about who is allowed to post ads.

In the end we all need to make informed decisions on who we do business with and an ad on the forum without research into the company placing the ad is nieve and the responsibility of the purchasing party -- NOT the mods.

As we say on another forum, if you don't like this place then GO SOMEWHERE ELSE.

BC tips: BA1phaSEpCN7jiSS33SSWXf3Bs1rP9SKir
greyhawk

View Profile
June 15, 2013, 07:58:19 PM

Didn't Diablo3 get demodded in the custom hardware subforum specifically because he dared to moderate in a way Josh saw as detrimental towards BFL? Or is this an old man's faulty memory at work?
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: