Bitcoin Forum
March 28, 2024, 08:22:55 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: What happened here?  (Read 406 times)
moisesmcardona (OP)

Activity: 58
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 16, 2013, 11:43:04 PM

Hello everyone,

Today I noted something strange in the web, but I found my wallet to be OK.

Here's the deal. I sent 0.009981 to namecoin.com, and blockchain.info says there was that an another transaction for the rest of my bitcoins. My question is, why blockchain.info says the address balance is 0.0004028 BTC while the Wallet says I have 0.06769315 BTC which should be the correct balance at the moment?

EDIT: blockexplorer.com says this:
Code:
Note: While the last "balance" is the accurate number of bitcoins available to this address, it is likely not the balance available to this person. Every time a transaction is sent, some bitcoins are usually sent back to yourself at a new address (not included in the Bitcoin UI), which makes the balance of a single address misleading. See the wiki for more info on transactions.

That explains it... Phew  Roll Eyes

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
If you see garbage posts (off-topic, trolling, spam, no point, etc.), use the "report to moderator" links. All reports are investigated, though you will rarely be contacted about your reports.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
moisesmcardona (OP)

View Profile
June 16, 2013, 11:47:56 PM

did you pay a transfer fee?

Nevermind, blockexplorer says this:
Note: While the last "balance" is the accurate number of bitcoins available to this address, it is likely not the balance available to this person. Every time a transaction is sent, some bitcoins are usually sent back to yourself at a new address (not included in the Bitcoin UI), which makes the balance of a single address misleading. See the wiki for more info on transactions.

And yes, It did mention that I had to pay a transfer fee
orymh

Activity: 167
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
June 16, 2013, 11:51:43 PM

did you pay a transfer fee?

Nevermind, blockexplorer says this:

And yes, It did mention that I had to pay a transfer fee

In case you're curious, here's the Bitcoin Wiki explanation of how Bitcoin change works, using real world cash dollars as an example: https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Change.

moisesmcardona (OP)

View Profile
June 17, 2013, 12:04:47 AM

Thanks for the link. It clearly helped me figure out what happened. At least nothing is lost and the transaction went OK  Cheesy
orymh

Activity: 167

View Profile WWW
June 17, 2013, 12:07:18 AM

Thanks for the link. It clearly helped me figure out what happened. At least nothing is lost and the transaction went OK  Cheesy

You're very welcome. The whole change thing can be a real headache, but it all makes sense once you're used to it.  Smiley

PeterB

Activity: 168

View Profile WWW
June 17, 2013, 12:50:57 AM

Glad everything worked out for you!

Mine bitcoins with you mind!  Play poker at Seals with Clubs!  Now with mixed games, stud games, and multiple variants of OFC!  These games are not offered on any other bitcoin poker site!  Sign up with me, PeterB, as your referral and I can help you with eBooks, strategy and more!  PM me for more details.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: