Bitcoin Forum
April 18, 2024, 09:25:05 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: 2013-06-14 Financial Times - The Bitcoin believers.  (Read 3044 times)
lunarboy (OP)

Activity: 544
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 14, 2013, 03:44:35 PM

http://www.ft.com/intl/cms/s/2/910858fa-d3bf-11e2-95d4-00144feab7de.html

Might be behind a pay wall for some, but its free for several articles a month and well worth registering.

Anyway unlike there usual dismissive nonsense this is a huge article, well researched and read by many a billionaire.

Still has that tinge of derogatory tone, like some old man looking down his nose at you; but at least he's had the respect to put his glasses on and see what all the fuss is about.

A growing band of young evangelists believe the virtual currency Bitcoin is the economic future. But how long before regulation catches up with them?

edit: actually this might be a free article, logged out and it still lets me view it. ?
"With e-currency based on cryptographic proof, without the need to trust a third party middleman, money can be secure and transactions effortless." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
flix
Legendary

Activity: 1227
Merit: 1000

View Profile
June 14, 2013, 04:30:48 PM

Wow!

This is a pretty nice article, especially for the FT. Unsurprisingly the headline plays the fear card, but still, overall it's surprisingly positive.
kiko

Activity: 453
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 14, 2013, 07:09:52 PM

Geez, that was really long. Bitcoin doesn't usually get serious column inches like that. I wonder if it's destined for tomorrows weekend print edition.
kiko

Activity: 453

View Profile
June 14, 2013, 07:14:49 PM

Looks like we bagged the weekend magazine front page.

VoteGoat

Activity: 26
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 14, 2013, 10:04:32 PM
Last edit: June 14, 2013, 10:17:10 PM by VoteGoat

Hi

I'm Jonathan Mohan

OMG OMG OMG OMG

I Had NO idea about the cover, dude you made my day this is AWESOME

also please feel free to contact me for anything @ jonathan(a)bitcoinNYC.org
VoteGoat

View Profile
June 14, 2013, 10:15:21 PM

You talk for three hours to a reporter and see how they use your words. It's easy to criticize, its FAR harder to actually try and contribute. Please if you wish to put yourself out there and be an active part of the community email me and I'll help you the best I can. Maybe you can do better than I.
kjlimo
Legendary

Activity: 2086
Merit: 1031

View Profile WWW
June 14, 2013, 10:27:33 PM

Holy turnips, just noticed the link to the image and its the real deal. Never thought I'd be going out to hunt down a copy of FT Smiley Smiley Smiley

haha, I may need to do the same.

Coinbase for selling BTCs
Fold for spending BTCs
PM me with any questions on these sites/apps!  http://www.montybitcoin.com

or Vircurex for trading alt cryptocurrencies like DOGEs
CoinNinja for exploring the blockchain.
nwbitcoin

Activity: 294

You are a geek if you are too early to the party!

View Profile WWW
June 14, 2013, 10:31:12 PM

You talk for three hours to a reporter and see how they use your words. It's easy to criticize, its FAR harder to actually try and contribute. Please if you wish to put yourself out there and be an active part of the community email me and I'll help you the best I can. Maybe you can do better than I.

This is so true!

Reporters already know what they are going to write before they even set up the interview with you.  Your quotes are weaned out of you to match their agenda.

I learnt this the hard way with a story I was involved with a few years ago.

Never, ever trust the media! Wink

*Image Removed*
I use Localbitcoins to sell bitcoins for GBP by bank transfer!
VoteGoat

View Profile
June 14, 2013, 10:43:30 PM

This is so true!

Reporters already know what they are going to write before they even set up the interview with you.  Your quotes are weaned out of you to match their agenda.

Hey man, Email me Jonathan(a)bitcoinNYC.org I'd love to hear the story and we can talk about how I can improve my wording around interviews.
VoteGoat

View Profile
June 14, 2013, 10:57:05 PM

I am a very active member of the community and people like you make me sad. In no way should a quote like that should come out, when you claim to be  a "bitcoin promoter". I get asked to do interviews once a week maybe twice, I turn them all down, cause I am not here for publicize, I am here for bitcoins the idea and getting local people into it. I know for 100% they would never get a quote like that out of my mouth. And if they misquoted you then say it, but they are pretty good at not doing that so yeah. It just makes me upset to know someone is going around as a "promoter" and saying things like that. Maybe think before speaking just a hint.

Things listed in "" marks I said, things not are what the reporter said. If you can show me where I said I was a "promoter" I would really like to know. Further if you are going to be disparaging to me any further I will not choose to continue talking to you, but I'd really like it if we could have a conversation because I'm new to this and I welcome any constructive feedback.
kjlimo
Legendary

Activity: 2086
Merit: 1031

View Profile WWW
June 14, 2013, 11:04:49 PM

I am a very active member of the community and people like you make me sad. In no way should a quote like that should come out, when you claim to be  a "bitcoin promoter". I get asked to do interviews once a week maybe twice, I turn them all down, cause I am not here for publicize, I am here for bitcoins the idea and getting local people into it. I know for 100% they would never get a quote like that out of my mouth. And if they misquoted you then say it, but they are pretty good at not doing that so yeah. It just makes me upset to know someone is going around as a "promoter" and saying things like that. Maybe think before speaking just a hint.

Things listed in "" marks I said, things not are what the reporter said. If you can show me where I said I was a "promoter" I would really like to know. Further if you are going to be disparaging to me any further I will not choose to continue talking to you, but I'd really like it if we could have a conversation because I'm new to this and I welcome any constructive feedback.

While gweedo's heart is in the right place, he is being harsh.  Try to take away that we're not trying to "promote" the idea that bitcoins will make everyone rich quick.

We're trying to promote how bitcoins can improve the monetary system and brings many many other advantages other than just simply "get rich quick."  So when discussing bitcoins, try to avoid that phrase which will only attract short term money and lead to tulip mania.

That said, I'm also hoping for bitcoins to be lucrative for my future; however, I don't expect that without earning them.  I just see millions of opportunities related to bitcoins and they excite me!

Coinbase for selling BTCs
Fold for spending BTCs
PM me with any questions on these sites/apps!  http://www.montybitcoin.com

or Vircurex for trading alt cryptocurrencies like DOGEs
CoinNinja for exploring the blockchain.
VoteGoat

View Profile
June 14, 2013, 11:12:38 PM

While gweedo's heart is in the right place, he is being harsh.  Try to take away that we're not trying to "promote" the idea that bitcoins will make everyone rich quick.

We're trying to promote how bitcoins can improve the monetary system and brings many many other advantages other than just simply "get rich quick."  So when discussing bitcoins, try to avoid that phrase which will only attract short term money and lead to tulip mania.

That said, I'm also hoping for bitcoins to be lucrative for my future; however, I don't expect that without earning them.  I just see millions of opportunities related to bitcoins and they excite me!

Thanks for the feedback, I TOTALLY agree. During my time talking to him I stated something to the effect of, As an entrepreneurship major I want to start a company. I want to get rich. I love Bitcoin because It makes business models that were never viable, viable. And I see a blue ocean of billion dolllar companies just waiting to be formed.

Further I HATE the term promoter and its kinda demeaning to what I am doing. BitcoinNYC is a professional networking group for people who want to do business in bitcoin. We also have co-working hours once a week so businesses in bitcoin can come together and figure out this space as a community. It's my goal to grow those meetings and BitcoinNYC from once a week to 4 times a week and become a community based co-working group for bitcoin entrepreneurs to that end we are now at twice a week and growing strong.

But I guess its far easier to just call that a "promoter" =(

nwbitcoin

Activity: 294

You are a geek if you are too early to the party!

View Profile WWW
June 14, 2013, 11:15:28 PM

This is so true!

Hey man, Email me Jonathan(a)bitcoinNYC.org I'd love to hear the story and we can talk about how I can improve my wording around interviews.

I got fooled by the BBC on two projects I've done in the past.  They tell you one thing, and the editor paints a totally different story before it get broadcast!

I wouldn't worry about the reaction you get on this forum - its full of almost autistic geeky types who don't understand the concept of marketing or politics or anything that is not black and white! PR is not on anyone CV! Wink

I'm just happy Bitcoin is getting coverage - well done! Smiley

*Image Removed*
I use Localbitcoins to sell bitcoins for GBP by bank transfer!
genjix
Legendary

Activity: 1232
Merit: 1072

View Profile
June 15, 2013, 06:54:07 AM

Don't be so harsh on him. Stephen Foley (the author) is an old guy that doesn't like Bitcoin. He thinks it's stupid and doesn't get it. I'm sure Jonathan probably said more but he got quoted out of context.
ImI
Legendary

Activity: 1946
Merit: 1019

View Profile
June 15, 2013, 11:28:36 AM

You gotta love those BS comments beneath the article:

"The total number of coins will never be allowed to exceed 21 million." says who?
Bitcoin has no legal status and no legal existence (and transactions are anonymous).
This is has all the characteristics of a ponzi scheme and all ponzi scheme eventually collapse.
Furthermore, this is the most stupid waste of electricity ever created."

VoteGoat

View Profile
June 15, 2013, 02:14:31 PM

Don't be so harsh on him. Stephen Foley (the author) is an old guy that doesn't like Bitcoin. He thinks it's stupid and doesn't get it. I'm sure Jonathan probably said more but he got quoted out of context.

Stephen treated me and my group with nothing but respect, As someone who knows the NYC scene I find that his coverage in this article is the most objective I have ever seen as it relates to bitcoin. If he has a bias, he did a fairly good job of keeping it aside. I find that editors like to "jazz up" the truth sometimes and find any EDITING choices could probably be chocked up to making the article "pop"

As to the opening statement "I want to be rich" he did right by me. I say that ALL THE TIME, I've been an aspiring entrepreneur for almost 10 years http://money.cnn.com/2006/10/16/smbusiness/kid_entrepreneurs/ and as a soon to be college grad I am risking everything i own financially in an effort to start a business and "make it" you know "The american dream and all......"
lunarboy (OP)

Activity: 544
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 15, 2013, 06:39:00 PM
Last edit: June 15, 2013, 07:38:05 PM by lunarboy

“My goal is to get rich,” says Jonathan Mohan, blunt as you like.

Worst quote ever, thanks for painting bitcoiners as greedy people.

Easy tiger  Tongue
gweedo
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1000

View Profile
June 15, 2013, 07:09:23 PM

As to the opening statement "I want to be rich" he did right by me. I say that ALL THE TIME, I've been an aspiring entrepreneur for almost 10 years http://money.cnn.com/2006/10/16/smbusiness/kid_entrepreneurs/ and as a soon to be college grad I am risking everything i own financially in an effort to start a business and "make it" you know "The american dream and all......"

The American dream? This is bitcoin and you should never risk everything you own to start a business. That is just being dumb. You should bootstrap your business as much as you can. Your probably going to fail the first company. Trust me I failed at 3 companies, one site pays for itself, and the other I sold. These were just in the bitcoin space. You have to go with that attitude that you will fail, and if you succeed, you will be working to make sure you stay at the top. Another thing that bitcoin companies have to deal with, is to know you may not have any funds the next day. Bitcoin is very young, it could go to 0, is it likely no. But I wake up every day knowing my wealth could be gone tomorrow and I am actually starting another company so it even scares me more. I always hedge, I actually have about a quarter of my wealth in dollars just incase.
el_rlee
Legendary

Activity: 1600
Merit: 1014

View Profile
June 16, 2013, 04:07:09 AM

Many people want to get rich, you know?
It's not a bad idea for Bitcoin's adoption to make people rich. The whole hyper-deflationary thing built in is only made to reward the early adopters and I still think you are pretty much an early adopter getting in now.
genjix
Legendary

Activity: 1232
Merit: 1072

View Profile
June 16, 2013, 01:17:30 PM

I see what you're saying but it does feel a bit depressing if the unscrupulous keep exploiting people and do well off it. I'm hoping Bitcoin will empower more people. Most people are good.
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: