Bitcoin Forum
March 19, 2024, 10:39:21 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: pool.yrral.net P2Pool backed mining pool ALPHA  (Read 3083 times)
notme (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1002

View Profile
June 15, 2013, 06:08:04 AM
Last edit: June 24, 2013, 08:55:38 PM by notme

I am developing some mining proxy software that allows me to pool p2pool shares from multiple users together to the same address.  This allows miners with less hashing power to use p2pool with less variance.  This is alpha quality software and I will be doing manual payouts for now.  Payouts will be proportional.  Please do not use this pool without a fallback since I may restart it frequently.  There are no public stats at the moment, but that is certainly on the TODO list.  At the moment, the best you can do is monitor the pools genearation address (1B1kSM3KfcP9BvGDC1G3cxZAV9LbxovpQi), which will include everybody's hashpower:: http://pool.yrral.net:9339/static/graphs.html

The goal of this project is to bring more interest to p2pool and also keep it accessible to small miners.

In order to mine, connect to pool.yrral.net:9339 with your bitcoin address as your username.  Password can be anything.  If you are using cgminer, you will see "Accepted untracked stratum share" instead of the normal message, but rest assured your shares are being tracked.  Also, if I restart the proxy you may see a message about shares being lost that you can safely ignore.

Fine print:  My p2pool instance is currently set to collect a 2% fee.  Payments will be made biweekly on Mondays and Thursdays at noon EST and will include any p2pool payout that has reached 120 confirmations.  If your payout is below the dust limit for the bitcoin network, your payouts will be accumulated until they exceed the limit (if a transaction has an output that is too small it will not be relayed or included in blocks by most nodes).

https://www.bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
While no idea is perfect, some ideas are useful.
The grue lurks in the darkest places of the earth. Its favorite diet is adventurers, but its insatiable appetite is tempered by its fear of light. No grue has ever been seen by the light of day, and few have survived its fearsome jaws to tell the tale.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
PatMan

Activity: 924
Merit: 1000

Watch out for the "Neg-Rep-Dogie-Police".....

View Profile WWW
June 15, 2013, 10:08:05 AM

Hi,

A good idea in principal. However, this will lose the one great benefit of p2p mining - vulnerability to ddos attack. Many pools are suffering from this right now despite having many security measures, will your node/pool be able to resist such an attack? Surely the best option would be to create a more efficient p2p mining program that is compatible with all mining hardware & is fully stratum capable & keeps this anti ddos benefit? I wish you luck with this, as something definitely needs to be done, but this is not the answer I fear.
I'm trying to put together a team who is capable of writing a completely new enhanced p2p program that will put p2p mining back on the map, check out my thread:

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=213051.msg2234739#msg2234739

I've been approached by a few programmers, but am still looking for somebody with more bitcoin experience if you're interested. I have also been contacted by many miners who are willing to help with testing of various fpga/asics setups, so the need is definitely there.

Again, I wish you luck with this endeavour, but if you decide you really want to help p2p mining as a whole I'd love to hear from you.

Regards & Peace.

"When one person is deluded it is called insanity - when many people are deluded it is called religion" - Robert M. Pirsig.  I don't want your coins, I want change.
Amazon UK BTC payment service - https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=301229.0 - with FREE delivery!
http://www.ae911truth.org/ - http://rethink911.org/ - http://rememberbuilding7.org/
notme (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
June 15, 2013, 03:19:20 PM

This is targeted at those who don't want to maintain a bitcoin daemon and p2pool instance.  I can potentially spin up as many proxies as I want that point to as many different p2pool instances as I want.   I just need to aggregate the share records to calculate the payment.  This will allow for more ddos resistance than any individual p2pool instance or centralized pool.

notme (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
June 16, 2013, 03:07:43 AM

Fundamentally, it comes down to a tradeoff between high stales and high variance.  If you slow down the share rate, it is much harder to find a share and variance will go through the roof.  In order to keep everyone happy from big miners to small, we need a tiered system.  This is actually what I am working towards with my proxy project, but you seem to want to throw out everything already built and start from scratch rather than work incrementally towards a system that suits everyone.  Yes, I want the lower tiers to eventually be decentralized, but I need to work out the kinks in just proxying to an unmodified p2pool for now.  Ultimately, we need to allow multiple addresses to take credit for p2pool shares rather than a single address per share.  Once this is in place, we can have second tier pools that submit p2pool shares that pay out based on their easier share chain.  A centralized proxy is just a first step towards this vision and will help us understand a part of the target system that is achievable today.  Then there is the issue of BFL ASICs.  Once we have a tiered system, we will be able to lengthen the share time on p2pool to something acceptable for all hardware and the second tier pools can provide easier shares and lower variance.

daemondazz

Activity: 448
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 17, 2013, 11:30:05 PM

This looks like a good idea, I was thinking about implementing something very similar on my p2pool node. What continent are you on? Might be worth pooling (pun intended!) resources.

Computers, Amateur Radio, Electronics, Aviation - 1dazzrAbMqNu6cUwh2dtYckNygG7jKs8S
notme (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
June 18, 2013, 12:34:33 AM

This looks like a good idea, I was thinking about implementing something very similar on my p2pool node. What continent are you on? Might be worth pooling (pun intended!) resources.

Interesting.... If we could develop a network of trusted operators we could offer low latency from anywhere in the world.  Actually pooling everything together brings up trust issues between the various operators unless we use a single modified p2pool instance that does the logging, but then we don't have low latency from everywhere.  However, since each pool only needs to be big enough to find enough p2pool shares, I think smaller, localized pools are the way to go.  More important is overall hashpower for p2pool.  N. America, btw.

If you want to spin up your own proxy for your p2pool node the code is here: https://github.com/yrral86/proxy-p2pool
1. Spin up an aws instance near you
2. Install git via package manager
3. Install ruby via rvm (this will take some time)
4. gem install json em-proxy
5. git clone https://github.com/yrral86/proxy-p2pool
6. cd proxy-p2pool
7. In proxy.rb, modify pool address on line 8 and p2pool.address on line 38
8. ruby proxy.rb
9. Point your miners at aws_address:9339
10. Submitted shares will be logged to shares.log (just a csv for now, I'll likely back it with a real db eventually)
11. You're on your own for payouts.  When I get some time I will put together some scripts for parsing the shares.log file.

Pull requests and bug reports are of course welcome.

daemondazz

View Profile
June 18, 2013, 12:52:01 AM

Cool, I'll check it out.

I'm in Australia. I was thinking of a separate pool per continent, or multiple per continent maybe, rather than one worldwide pool. I guess that's what you mean by localised.

I've got no experience with Ruby, so I might rework in Python, then it can plug directly into p2pool work.py and there's no need for running it on a separate port. I've already started on a Django schema for the database side of things.

No need for AWS here, I run a hosting company Smiley

Computers, Amateur Radio, Electronics, Aviation - 1dazzrAbMqNu6cUwh2dtYckNygG7jKs8S
notme (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
June 18, 2013, 01:25:22 AM

Cool, I'll check it out.

I'm in Australia. I was thinking of a separate pool per continent, or multiple per continent maybe, rather than one worldwide pool. I guess that's what you mean by localised.

I've got no experience with Ruby, so I might rework in Python, then it can plug directly into p2pool work.py and there's no need for running it on a separate port. I've already started on a Django schema for the database side of things.

No need for AWS here, I run a hosting company Smiley

Cool.  It's pretty simple so far, and if you make it possible to just patch p2pool that is awesome.  I'm not particularly tied to my code, my objective is primarily to help make p2pool accessible to miners of any size.  Feel free to play around with it and ask questions since the code is a bit dense in places.  If you redo it in python, feel free to post that here.  I'm not a ninja like with ruby, but I do have a bit of python experience. 

notme (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
June 18, 2013, 01:41:52 AM

So far, in addition to my address, I see shares from these addresses:
1Q68UdKBYgBVy7h4gAAXcipaoBPeoJZrXQ
1yrraLgmRZ1fbgtz2BSVXcWVrJnH785QZ

If you have tried mining on my pool and you are not on the list, please let me know ASAP.  Now that I have testers I will try to make some time tomorrow to work on some stat reporting.

daemondazz

View Profile
June 18, 2013, 12:58:57 PM

Here is a quick patch against work.py which will cause it to log a line to a CSV file every time an actual share is found. I haven't had time to fully work out how to get the hash rate inside that function yet. I'm not sure if you want to only pay out on shares that p2pool counts as valid, or a percentage of the hashrate.

Fields in the CSV are: time.time(), user, on_time, got_share, got_block

Code:
root@bitcoin:/var/lib/p2pool/p2pool/p2pool# git diff work.py
diff --git a/p2pool/work.py b/p2pool/work.py
index 7c5823b..a4c3f38 100644
--- a/p2pool/work.py
+++ b/p2pool/work.py
@@ -5,6 +5,8 @@ import random
 import sys
 import time

+import csv
+
 from twisted.internet import defer
 from twisted.python import log

@@ -281,6 +283,7 @@ class WorkerBridge(worker_interface.WorkerBridge):
         received_header_hashes = set()

def got_response(header, user, coinbase_nonce):
+            got_block, got_share = False, False
             assert len(coinbase_nonce) == self.COINBASE_NONCE_LENGTH == 4
             new_packed_gentx = packed_gentx[:-4-4] + coinbase_nonce + packed_gentx[-4:] if coinbase_nonce != '\0'*self.COINBASE_NONCE_LENGTH else packed_gentx
             new_gentx = bitcoin_data.tx_type.unpack(new_packed_gentx) if coinbase_nonce != '\0'*self.COINBASE_NONCE_LENGTH else gentx
@@ -291,6 +294,7 @@ class WorkerBridge(worker_interface.WorkerBridge):
                 if pow_hash <= header['bits'].target or p2pool.DEBUG:
                     helper.submit_block(dict(header=header, txs=[new_gentx] + other_transactions), False, self.node.factory, self.node.bitcoind, self.node.bitcoind_work, self.node.net)
                     if pow_hash <= header['bits'].target:
+                        got_block = True
                         print
                         print 'GOT BLOCK FROM MINER! Passing to bitcoind! %s%064x' % (self.node.net.PARENT.BLOCK_EXPLORER_URL_PREFIX, header_hash)
                         print
@@ -332,6 +336,7 @@ class WorkerBridge(worker_interface.WorkerBridge):
                     log.err(None, 'Error while processing merged mining POW:')

if pow_hash <= share_info['bits'].target and header_hash not in received_header_hashes:
+                got_share = True
                 share = get_share(header, pack.IntType(32).unpack(coinbase_nonce))

print 'GOT SHARE! %s %s prev %s age %.2fs%s' % (
@@ -364,6 +369,16 @@ class WorkerBridge(worker_interface.WorkerBridge):
                 print >>sys.stderr, 'Worker %s submitted share more than once!' % (user,)
             else:
                 received_header_hashes.add(header_hash)
+
+                # P2POOL SHARE LOGGING
+                if got_share or got_block:
+                    try:
+                        with open('/tmp/p2pool-shares.csv', 'ab') as csvfile:
+                            writer = csv.writer(csvfile)
+                            writer.writerow([time.time(), user, on_time, got_share, got_block])
+                    except:
+                        log.err(None, 'Could not save share to pool database')
+

self.pseudoshare_received.happened(bitcoin_data.target_to_average_attempts(target), not on_time, user)
                 self.recent_shares_ts_work.append((time.time(), bitcoin_data.target_to_average_attempts(target)))

notme (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
June 18, 2013, 05:36:07 PM

Here is a quick patch against work.py which will cause it to log a line to a CSV file every time an actual share is found. I haven't had time to fully work out how to get the hash rate inside that function yet. I'm not sure if you want to only pay out on shares that p2pool counts as valid, or a percentage of the hashrate.

Fields in the CSV are: time.time(), user, on_time, got_share, got_block

Code:
index 7c5823b..a4c3f38 100644
--- a/p2pool/work.py
+++ b/p2pool/work.py
@@ -5,6 +5,8 @@ import random
 import sys
 import time

+import csv
+
 from twisted.internet import defer
 from twisted.python import log

@@ -281,6 +283,7 @@ class WorkerBridge(worker_interface.WorkerBridge):

new_packed_gentx = packed_gentx[:-4-4] + coinbase_nonce + packed_gentx[-4:] if coinbase_nonce != '\0'*self.COINBASE_NONCE_LENGTH else packed_gentx
             new_gentx = bitcoin_data.tx_type.unpack(new_packed_gentx) if coinbase_nonce != '\0'*self.COINBASE_NONCE_LENGTH else gentx
@@ -291,6 +294,7 @@ class WorkerBridge(worker_interface.WorkerBridge):
                     helper.submit_block(dict(header=header, txs=[new_gentx] + other_transactions), False, self.node.factory, self.node.bitcoind, self.node.bitcoind_work, self.node.net)
                         print
                         print 'GOT BLOCK FROM MINER! Passing to bitcoind! %s%064x' % (self.node.net.PARENT.BLOCK_EXPLORER_URL_PREFIX, header_hash)
                         print
@@ -332,6 +336,7 @@ class WorkerBridge(worker_interface.WorkerBridge):

if pow_hash <= share_info['bits'].target and header_hash not in received_header_hashes:

@@ -364,6 +369,16 @@ class WorkerBridge(worker_interface.WorkerBridge):
             else:
+
+                if got_share or got_block:
+                    try:
+                        with open('/tmp/p2pool-shares.csv', 'ab') as csvfile:
+                            writer = csv.writer(csvfile)
+                            writer.writerow([time.time(), user, on_time, got_share, got_block])
+

self.pseudoshare_received.happened(bitcoin_data.target_to_average_attempts(target), not on_time, user)
                 self.recent_shares_ts_work.append((time.time(), bitcoin_data.target_to_average_attempts(target)))

With the code I have, it logs every response from p2pool whether the "result" is true of false, but I only use the ones with true for payout calculations.  I also log the current difficulty and time with each share.  My current plan is to just do payouts proportionally based on successful shares weighted by their difficulty requirement.  P2pool changes difficulty frequently, so that needs to be factored in if you are doing things share based.  Using hashrate estimates should get you the same answer since the estimate would be derived from the rate of shares, so it seems like an unnecessary complication.

daemondazz

View Profile
June 18, 2013, 09:42:24 PM

Ah, good ideas, here's up update patch for the part that writes the CSV:

Code:
@@ -364,6 +369,15 @@ class WorkerBridge(worker_interface.WorkerBridge):
             else:
+
+                try:
+                    with open('/tmp/p2pool-shares.csv', 'ab') as csvfile:
+                        diff = bitcoin_data.target_to_difficulty(target) * 1000000000
+                        writer = csv.writer(csvfile)
+                        writer.writerow([time.time(), user, diff, on_time, got_share, got_block])

daemondazz

View Profile
June 19, 2013, 04:29:40 AM

Previous patch didn't work, indenting on the exception handler was wrong. I've also updated it to log the network that p2pool is running on (I run BTC, LTC and TRC from one installation):

Code:
index 7c5823b..d1bbec8 100644
--- a/p2pool/work.py
+++ b/p2pool/work.py
@@ -1,6 +1,7 @@
 from __future__ import division

import base64
+import csv
 import random
 import sys
 import time
@@ -281,6 +282,7 @@ class WorkerBridge(worker_interface.WorkerBridge):

@@ -291,6 +293,7 @@ class WorkerBridge(worker_interface.WorkerBridge):
                         print
                         print
@@ -332,6 +335,7 @@ class WorkerBridge(worker_interface.WorkerBridge):

@@ -364,6 +368,15 @@ class WorkerBridge(worker_interface.WorkerBridge):
             else:
+
+                try:
+                    with open('/tmp/p2pool-%s-shares.csv' % self.net.SYMBOL, 'ab') as csvfile:
+                        diff = bitcoin_data.target_to_difficulty(target) * 1e-8
+                        writer = csv.writer(csvfile)
+                        writer.writerow([time.time(), self.net.SYMBOL, user, diff, on_time, got_share, got_block])
+                except:
+                    log.err(None, 'Could not save share to pool database')

notme (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
June 19, 2013, 04:14:31 PM

Previous patch didn't work, indenting on the exception handler was wrong. I've also updated it to log the network that p2pool is running on (I run BTC, LTC and TRC from one installation):

Code:
index 7c5823b..d1bbec8 100644
--- a/p2pool/work.py
+++ b/p2pool/work.py
@@ -1,6 +1,7 @@
 from __future__ import division

import base64
+import csv
 import random
 import sys
 import time
@@ -281,6 +282,7 @@ class WorkerBridge(worker_interface.WorkerBridge):

+            got_block, got_share = False, False
@@ -291,6 +293,7 @@ class WorkerBridge(worker_interface.WorkerBridge):
+                        got_block = True
                         print
                         print
@@ -332,6 +335,7 @@ class WorkerBridge(worker_interface.WorkerBridge):

+                got_share = True

@@ -364,6 +368,15 @@ class WorkerBridge(worker_interface.WorkerBridge):
             else:
+
+                # P2POOL SHARE LOGGING
+                try:
+                    with open('/tmp/p2pool-%s-shares.csv' % self.net.SYMBOL, 'ab') as csvfile:
+                        diff = bitcoin_data.target_to_difficulty(target) * 1e-8
+                        writer = csv.writer(csvfile)
+                        writer.writerow([time.time(), self.net.SYMBOL, user, diff, on_time, got_share, got_block])
+                except:
+                    log.err(None, 'Could not save share to pool database')

Good work. However, I don't see where you are changing the address that gets credit.

Anyway, thanks to all the testers!  The first payout will go out tomorrow at noon EST.  Currently, I see shares from these addresses:
178sstRXJ2aF4KHcrkbECzFopjDgHCigyr
1Q68UdKBYgBVy7h4gAAXcipaoBPeoJZrXQ
13WSYzi1h9S14oN7E8DGbGLk7vHoXC2x3W
1yrraLgmRZ1fbgtz2BSVXcWVrJnH785QZ

daemondazz

View Profile
June 20, 2013, 01:05:37 AM

Good work. However, I don't see where you are changing the address that gets credit.

I'm not running this in any pool capacity yet, but I plan on having 100% fee set and using the '-a' command line option to set the payout address, as per standard options. The specified address would be the shared wallet deposit address.

notme (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
June 20, 2013, 02:06:05 AM

I'm not running this in any pool capacity yet, but I plan on having 100% fee set and using the '-a' command line option to set the payout address, as per standard options. The specified address would be the shared wallet deposit address.

Ah.  That is probably a much cleaner way to do it.  In fact, you might be able to get your patch included in the main p2pool code if you turn it into a command line option.

daemondazz

View Profile
June 20, 2013, 02:21:13 AM

Ah.  That is probably a much cleaner way to do it.  In fact, you might be able to get your patch included in the main p2pool code if you turn it into a command line option.

Not a bad idea. I'd probably make a separate module with a defined interface and the command line option would just give the python path to this.

I'll work on that and update the patch. While I'm doing that, any other info that I should be including?

notme (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
June 20, 2013, 07:14:40 AM

Not a bad idea. I'd probably make a separate module with a defined interface and the command line option would just give the python path to this.

I'll work on that and update the patch. While I'm doing that, any other info that I should be including?

It would be nice to log when a p2pool block is found.  I don't really have a way to do that as a proxy, but it should be possible from within the p2pool code.  With my proxy based implementation, I have to manually create a list of p2pool block timestamps in order to properly calculate payouts.

notme (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
June 20, 2013, 09:08:00 AM

Here are the difficulty weighted share records for the 5 solved blocks so far.  Unless p2pool solves another block, the total below will be the payout at noon today.

Block Unix Timestamp: 1371463152 Total Payout: 0.12534202
Address                                                 shares  payout
178sstRXJ2aF4KHcrkbECzFopjDgHCigyr 137367 0.12534202

Block Unix Timestamp: 1371485192 Total Payout: 0.12702011
Address                                                 shares  payout
178sstRXJ2aF4KHcrkbECzFopjDgHCigyr 15848.3 0.12702011

Block Unix Timestamp: 1371494251 Total Payout: 0.13428729
Address                                                 shares   payout
178sstRXJ2aF4KHcrkbECzFopjDgHCigyr 6578.87

Block Unix Timestamp: 1371507094 Total Payout: 0.1128375
Address                                                 shares   payout
178sstRXJ2aF4KHcrkbECzFopjDgHCigyr 9116.39 0.1128375

Block Unix Timestamp: 1371516945 Total Payout: 0.11625884
Address                                                 shares       payout
178sstRXJ2aF4KHcrkbECzFopjDgHCigyr 7198.22      0.11613077
1Q68UdKBYgBVy7h4gAAXcipaoBPeoJZrXQ 8.04828  0.00012807

Total confirmed payouts:
178sstRXJ2aF4KHcrkbECzFopjDgHCigyr        0.61561769
1Q68UdKBYgBVy7h4gAAXcipaoBPeoJZrXQ    0.00012807
Total                                                             0.61574576

Current pending weighted shares for next block:
178sstRXJ2aF4KHcrkbECzFopjDgHCigyr 142226
1Q68UdKBYgBVy7h4gAAXcipaoBPeoJZrXQ 0.999985
13WSYzi1h9S14oN7E8DGbGLk7vHoXC2x3W 174.207
1yrraLgmRZ1fbgtz2BSVXcWVrJnH785QZ 3846.44

Current Pending Payout Per Block: 0.146

notme (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
June 20, 2013, 03:51:52 PM

No new blocks, payout made as above:
https://blockchain.info/tx/cc4ea45a7c05129c29b87bb8a2fbc71c558652f4da1ce015c3eb9569d5b3e9cd

Next payout will be Monday at noon EST.

Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: