Bitcoin Forum
April 24, 2024, 06:55:46 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: How To Blast Bitcoin Onto The World Stage  (Read 13498 times)
Sage (OP)

Activity: 632
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 15, 2013, 07:54:44 AM
Last edit: June 15, 2013, 08:06:54 AM by Sage

Every surfer knows the secret to surfing is choosing the right wave and then expert timing to ride that wave for all its worth.

There's a huge swell brewing.  A swell perfectly tailored for Bitcoin to ride into the world spotlight.  Billions could be exposed to Bitcoin in one day that might take 10 years to be exposed otherwise.

...that is, if we catch the wave with expert timing.

What am I talking about....?

...The international attention currently on the Snowden whistle blower case.  A case custom made for Bitcoin enthusiasts...

Turns out Snowden has been holed up in Hong Kong, burning through all his credit cards to get this message to the world.

He's pretty much sacrificed everything for the good of us all.

Now lets to something for him and introduce the world to Bitcoin in the process...

How...?

We all know NSA has the tools to cut off any electronic funds heading Snowden's way regardless of where they come from...  that is any electronic funds aside from Bitcoin.

Now's our chance:

Let's setup a Bitcoin fund for Snowden.  The nature of Bitcoin could provide complete transparency.  Those donating can check the blockchain and see exactly where their funds are going.

...If Snowden plays along, he can publish exactly how he's spending the Bitcoins.  Eventually the word gets out that Snowden is living off Bitcoins.  

Of course the media will try to paint it that only criminals do that.  But anyone above simple-mind status will see right through that.

It will plant the seeds in countless minds around the world that Bitcoin is a way out.  A way out of the corrupt system.  Allowing them to live free in an unfree world.

Snowden has already proved his integrity here.  He has sacrificed the rest of his life for the sake of us all.  Let's do something for him, and in so doing do something for the world, getting the message out about Bitcoin.

If we are ever going to escape the current police state, we need to support those who courageously stand up against it. 

Imagine the message overwhelming moral (and financial) support sends to other potential whistle-blowers on the edge right now...

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
In order to get the maximum amount of activity points possible, you just need to post once per day on average. Skipping days is OK as long as you maintain the average.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
ktttn

Activity: 126
Merit: 100

Capitalism is the crisis.

View Profile WWW
June 15, 2013, 08:18:55 AM

Perhaps a vanity address with his name?
How could we get the private key, which we can't know, to him without it being intercepted or used by a middleman?

Wit all my solidarities,
-ktttn
Ever see a gutterpunk spanging for cryptocoins?
LfkJXVy8DanHm6aKegnmzvY8ZJuw8Dp4Qc
Sage (OP)

View Profile
June 15, 2013, 10:32:57 AM

How's a vanity address created?

And anyone know of anyone who might possibly be able to get the private keys in his hands?
Sage (OP)

View Profile
June 15, 2013, 01:26:26 PM

What if a trusted member in the Bitcoin community sets up the vanity address.  We start the campaign to fill it.  Do a few press releases.  When the amount is significant enough I believe the problem of getting the private keys in Snowdens hands will solve itself.
Jan
Legendary

Activity: 1043
Merit: 1002

View Profile
June 15, 2013, 01:37:44 PM

What if a trusted member in the Bitcoin community sets up the vanity address.  We start the campaign to fill it.  Do a few press releases.  When the amount is significant enough I believe the problem of getting the private keys in Snowdens hands will solve itself.

How about we start with getting him on board?

Mycelium let's you hold your private keys private.
BadBitcoin (James Sutton)
Donator

Activity: 452
Merit: 252

View Profile
June 15, 2013, 02:49:51 PM

I assume theres at least one person on this board whos from hong kong, if so they might be able to score a meeting with him and discuss this.
franky1
Legendary

Activity: 4200
Merit: 4435

View Profile
June 15, 2013, 03:44:48 PM

+1

definetly

i hate all of these strangers saying give me coins for X reason and they will someday get to their destination

it is much better to get in contact with him and get him to make a personalised youtube video showing his bitcoin address so we can send funds direct to him

I DO NOT TRADE OR ACT AS ESCROW ON THIS FORUM EVER.
Please do your own research & respect what is written here as both opinion & information gleaned from experience. many people replying with insults but no on-topic content substance, automatically are 'facepalmed' and yawned at
acoindr
Legendary

Activity: 1050

View Profile
June 15, 2013, 04:09:02 PM

It would seem the best way to set something up is have the bitcoin community contact/team up with the two leading Snowden support sites:

http://www.supportsnowden.org/

http://hongwrong.com/edward-snowden-rally
worldtreasurefinders

Activity: 315
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 15, 2013, 04:18:31 PM

I would totally donate BTC to help out Mr. Snowden. 

Architect, Anarchist, Numismatist, Crypto-Enthusiast.
btceic

Activity: 392
Merit: 250

♫ A wave came crashing like a fist to the jaw ♫

View Profile WWW
June 15, 2013, 04:19:01 PM

You might want to also consider signing the We the People petition to pardon him as well.

https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/petition/pardon-edward-snowden/Dp03vGYD

It needs ~25,000 signatures

♫ This situation, which side are you on? Are you getting out? Are you dropping bombs? Have you heard of diplomatic resolve? ♫ How To Run A Cheap Full Bitcoin Node For $19 A Year ♫ If I knew where it was, I would take you there. There’s much more than this. ♫ Track Your Bitcoins Value
cypherdoc
Legendary

Activity: 1764

View Profile
June 15, 2013, 04:55:21 PM

What if a trusted member in the Bitcoin community sets up the vanity address.  We start the campaign to fill it.  Do a few press releases.  When the amount is significant enough I believe the problem of getter ng the private keys in Snowdens hands will solve itself.

I assume theres at least one person on this board whos from hong kong, if so they might be able to score a meeting with him and discuss this.

Careful about NSA hunters posing as bitcoin purveyors.
pvtbrutus

Activity: 98
Merit: 10

View Profile
June 15, 2013, 07:01:31 PM

I can make a vanity address with vanitygen, but 7 chars takes too long (years calculation time). 6 Chars can be done in a hour calculation time.
So something like "1Snowde" or "1Snowdn".
Joerii
Legendary

Activity: 1274
Merit: 1050

View Profile WWW
June 15, 2013, 07:10:57 PM

This is a great idea. I will definitly donate to this guy. I'm not an American so I rarely use this term : but this man is a HERO !

Lets try to get him on this forum asap.

Hypercube - get the attention you deserve
Scott J
Legendary

Activity: 1792
Merit: 1000

View Profile
June 15, 2013, 07:18:06 PM

It's right that he should be rewarded for his actions and rewarding him in BTC seems perfect.

The trusted party who creates the vanity address could agree to return any donations back to the senders address should the fund not make it to Mr Snowden in x amount of time.
moni3z

Activity: 899

View Profile
June 15, 2013, 07:22:34 PM

Bitcoin is already on the world stage 10x over since ~4years ago.
Due to spooks involved at the highest levels of NSA/CIA it's impossible to guarantee he would receive funds unless you put it directly into his hand, which means you could catch some stray polonium poisoning :P

Anybody caught fundraising or sending funds would then be funding a defector/in a huge pile of shit, like being jailed for assisting treason or something. Better find some trusted guy in Europe or HK to pull this off nobody in USA. Whoever pulls this off in said Euro or other foreign country must also worry about possible extraordinary rendition, and can never, ever visit the US ever again. This is different than fundraising for wikileaks this is sending money directly to a defector. Be careful (:

Scott J
Legendary

Activity: 1792
Merit: 1000

View Profile
June 15, 2013, 07:25:11 PM

Due to spooks involved at the highest levels of NSA/CIA it's impossible to guarantee he would receive funds unless you put it directly into his hand, which means you could catch some stray polonium poisoning Tongue

Anybody caught fundraising or sending funds would then be funding a defector/in a huge pile of shit, like being jailed for assisting treason or something. Better find some trusted guy in Europe or HK to pull this off nobody in USA. Whoever pulls this off in said Euro or other foreign country must also worry about possible extraordinary rendition, and can never, ever visit the US ever again. This is different than fundraising for wikileaks this is sending money directly to a defector. Be careful (:
Encryption is our friend.

Glenn Greenwald, the Guardian journalist, successfully communicated with him via some unspecified encrypted chat software.

What is to stop someone sending him an encrypted private key?
moni3z

Activity: 899

View Profile
June 15, 2013, 08:10:46 PM

Due to spooks involved at the highest levels of NSA/CIA it's impossible to guarantee he would receive funds unless you put it directly into his hand, which means you could catch some stray polonium poisoning :P

Encryption is our friend.

Glenn Greenwald, the Guardian journalist, successfully communicated with him via some unspecified encrypted chat software.

What is to stop someone sending him an encrypted private key?

By all means feel free to do this just warning you I don't think the NSA and CIA are going to stand around and do nothing, especially if any US citizen organizes this. Better contact the Guardian journalist from a tormail account in a van with no windows over wifi while you drive around in circles:P
Anon136
Legendary

Activity: 1722
Merit: 1217

View Profile
June 15, 2013, 08:16:29 PM
Last edit: June 26, 2013, 12:08:17 PM by Anon136

I was thinking the same thing earlier today. If this snowden guy posted a bitcoin address i would definately donate. not just to him either, anyone who makes great sacrifices to stand up for their principals i would donate to. how on earth do we get in contact with him inorder to tell him that we would like to help?

Rep Thread: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=381041
If one can not confer upon another a right which he does not himself first possess, by what means does the state derive the right to engage in behaviors from which the public is prohibited?
Anon136
Legendary

Activity: 1722
Merit: 1217

View Profile
June 15, 2013, 08:31:35 PM

The only way I see this working is if someone goes to Hong Kong (or someone who is already there) and delivers a paper wallet to Snowden in person. It's the only way to be 100% sure the NSA doesn't block it. Any volunteers?

we just need to get him to release a video with him reading his address out loud.

Rep Thread: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=381041
If one can not confer upon another a right which he does not himself first possess, by what means does the state derive the right to engage in behaviors from which the public is prohibited?
strinkle

Activity: 13
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 15, 2013, 08:40:31 PM

He can create his own paper wallet using Bitaddress offline. He's a bright guy and can surely figure it out once he has the notion to use bitcoin. Far safer than trusting someone he doesn't know with a private key.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: