Bitcoin Forum
April 24, 2024, 06:43:51 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Team Fortress 2 as a payment processor for Bitcoins.  (Read 3717 times)
Anonymous

June 28, 2011, 03:26:42 AM

I'm just going to put this idea out here. Team Fortress 2 is now free-to-play and -- believe it or not -- it's an excellent payment processor: an irreversible payment processor. Once you trade an in-game item, it's gone. This is excellent for buying Bitcoins with.

So, here's my proposed method:

1. Download TF2 with a new steam account or otherwise.

2. Purchase a key from the Team Fortress 2 Store for $2.50.

3. Trade the key to a user who has the equivalent value in Bitcoins.

So, wait, let's say you sold the Bitcoins. How do you get your USD worth for the key?

Well, if you're a TF2 user the key obviously has inherent value for trading purposes and enables you to get a random item in-game. You could also sell the key to another user who wants to buy Bitcoins or another TF2 user, albeit for less than what Valve offers them for. This of course would require a slight-markup on Bitcoin value in transactions; however, that may be justified for this convenient method.

To make it quick and easy, one could simply start a TF2 server that runs easily on all computers and all the Bitcoin and Key trading could occur there.

What do you think? Is anybody willing to act on this? Questions?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"Your bitcoin is secured in a way that is physically impossible for others to access, no matter for what reason, no matter how good the excuse, no matter a majority of miners, no matter what." -- Greg Maxwell
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Txyru

Activity: 61
Merit: 10

View Profile
June 28, 2011, 03:28:59 AM

Doesnt second life process payments and such in kind of a similar way and let you cash out?
Anonymous

June 28, 2011, 03:33:56 AM

Doesnt second life process payments and such in kind of a similar way and let you cash out?
I don't know. Anyways, second life scares me. I wouldn't touch that thing again with a 7 foot pole.
Electrongolf

Activity: 139
Merit: 100

What's Your Gig?

View Profile WWW
June 28, 2011, 03:36:24 AM

I've never played TF2 but it looks cool. I'm curious how this works.

So, we could have a BTC server. And this could act as a virtual person to person exchange?

How do you sell and trade keys? Is this built into the system?

IlbiStarz

Activity: 336
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 28, 2011, 03:36:33 AM

I don't know. Anyways, second life scares me. I wouldn't touch that thing again with a 7 foot pole.

8 foot pole then?
Anonymous

June 28, 2011, 03:38:16 AM

I've never played TF2 but it looks cool. I'm curious how this works.

So, we could have a BTC server. And this could act as a virtual person to person exchange?

How do you sell and trade keys? Is this built into the system?

Yes and yes.

The trading system is very clean and straightforward. If you get Bitcoins, you'll get the system.
peach

Activity: 56
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 28, 2011, 03:43:43 AM

Your method overlooks the fact that this will introduce an unhealthy number of new keys into the TF2 economy, thus causing them to lower in inherent value, thus creating a downward spiral wherein the disparity in values between BTCs and keys grows further and further apart. With that said, I've never played TF2, so I could be missing something.
Anonymous

June 28, 2011, 03:47:22 AM

Your method overlooks the fact that this will introduce an unhealthy number of new keys into the TF2 economy, thus causing them to lower in inherent value, thus creating a downward spiral wherein the disparity in values between BTCs and keys grows further and further apart. With that said, I've never played TF2, so I could be missing something.
Well, the value of the keys isn't a huge deal. They are only temporary tokens. It's only an issue if you are saving your wealth in them, haha.
Meatpile

Activity: 277
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 28, 2011, 03:53:27 AM

haha why dont we just skip bitcoin altogether and just do all our finances in tf2 hats and keys!
peach

View Profile
June 28, 2011, 03:55:25 AM

Well, the value of the keys isn't a huge deal. They are only temporary tokens. It's only an issue if you are saving your wealth in them, haha.

The value of keys are a big deal. If there is an abundance of keys in the economy, people will start selling for less than 2.5 through  third-parties.

If keys are now buyable for 2 dollars from a third-party, and people are still trading 2.5 USD worth of bitcoins for them, I know for sure I'd buy up all the 2 dollar keys I can. People would get screwed and caught with devaluating keys.
peach

View Profile
June 28, 2011, 03:56:36 AM

haha why dont we just skip bitcoin altogether and just do all our finances in tf2 hats and keys!

You need to work on conveying your emotions more convincingly over the internet.

edit: Woops, didn't mean to double-post.
Anonymous

June 28, 2011, 04:05:28 AM

The value of keys are a big deal. If there is an abundance of keys in the economy, people will start selling for less than 2.5 through  third-parties.

If keys are now buyable for 2 dollars from a third-party, and people are still trading 2.5 USD worth of bitcoins for them, I know for sure I'd buy up all the 2 dollar keys I can. People would get screwed and caught with devaluating keys.

I see no issue. It's just how the market works.
peach

View Profile
June 28, 2011, 04:07:17 AM

The value of keys are a big deal. If there is an abundance of keys in the economy, people will start selling for less than 2.5 through  third-parties.

So it's like TF2 key 'hot potato' then.

I'll stick with direct USD --> BTC --> USD exchanges.
Anonymous

June 28, 2011, 04:09:25 AM

The value of keys are a big deal. If there is an abundance of keys in the economy, people will start selling for less than 2.5 through  third-parties.

Well, people are playing the same game of hot potato with the dollar. ; )
peach

View Profile
June 28, 2011, 04:12:12 AM

Well, people are playing the same game of hot potato with the dollar. ; )

It's not the same. When we transact with the dollar, we aren't actively creating them. The creation of them is out of our control completely.

Hypothetical: Even if we did somehow 'create' USD whenever we used/had them, the market as a whole is so large that Bitcoiner's presence as of now wouldn't even be a drop in the bucket. The TF2 economy is magnitudes upon magnitudes smaller, and thus more easily disruptable.
Anonymous

June 28, 2011, 04:14:27 AM

Well, please note there is a lot of incentive to destroy keys. So, no, there won't be huge inflation.
d.james

Activity: 280

Firstbits: 12pqwk

View Profile
June 28, 2011, 04:52:05 AM

so if valve goes down our key economy goes poof?  Shocked

You can not roll a BitCoin, but you can rollback some. Cheesy
Roll me back: 1NxMkvbYn8o7kKCWPsnWR4FDvH7L9TJqGG
Anonymous

June 28, 2011, 04:57:13 AM

so if valve goes down our key economy goes poof?  Shocked
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vX07j9SDFcc

However, Valve, isn't going down anytime soon.
DrYe5

Activity: 490

View Profile
June 28, 2011, 05:32:06 AM

I don't see what Steam has to gain from this arrangement.
Anonymous

June 28, 2011, 05:32:54 AM

I don't see what Steam has to gain from this arrangement.
A fuck-load of people buying keys. Valve probably couldn't be happier.
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: