Bitcoin Forum
April 16, 2024, 08:30:58 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Are my Bitcoins clean?  (Read 567 times)
Mbidox (OP)

Activity: 212
Merit: 108

View Profile
November 03, 2017, 08:05:07 AM
Last edit: November 03, 2017, 09:07:30 AM by Mbidox

What are dirty coins?
If anybody who has Bitcoins makes a crime (for example in the dark net) or if somebody has stolen Bitcoins, then this Bitcoins are dirty.

So such a person tries to get rid of them. For example he tries to change them into Fiat or buys Altcoins. If I am the person who gives this person my Altcoins and this person pays me with the dirty Bitcoins I have now this Bitcoins. No I have dirty Bitcoins. (Bitcoins with a dirty source Bitcoin Address)

There can be exchanges who have a black list of such dirty Bitcoins. (Maybe Bittrex?). And if a user who has such Bitcoins transfers them to such an exchange will become suspicious.

Question:
How can I check, how clean my Bitcoins are?

I have traded with many Altcoins on Poloniex. Maybe through this I got some dirty Bitcoins?
And I have lended many Bitcoins on Poloniex and Bitfinex. I assume the Bitcoins I lended were not the same which I got back. Maybe through this I got some dirty Bitcoins?

Is there a way to test this for myself?

Thank you.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
OmegaStarScream
Staff
Legendary

Activity: 3444
Merit: 6085

View Profile
November 03, 2017, 08:16:07 AM

The exchange you mentioned is not P2P so the funds will come from different sources and not from the address of the guy you're trading with. It's impossible to blacklist anything unless there is a major hack of millions of dollars and It's known for the public where the funds from the hack were sent to. If you're afraid of law enforcement or something then you shouldn't worry much, If the coins are not originally yours then you should be fine, they know how exchanges work and If you're paranoid, use mixers like ChipMixer.

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
Mbidox (OP)

View Profile
November 03, 2017, 09:16:12 AM

...  unless there is a major hack of millions of dollars and It's known for the public where the funds from the hack were sent to.
Yes, from such dirty Bitcoins I am talking about.

Would appreciate if someone can say me, how I can check if my Bitcoins are clean (at the moment).
Thekool1s
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1218

Change is in your hands

View Profile
November 03, 2017, 09:37:22 AM

I don't think a service like this exists, which tracks down the well known hacks etc, There is no way right now someone can tell you whether your coins are clean or not, because each of them would have been in thousands of different addresses through their life. Making it almost impossible to tell from where the coins were stolen from. Just like OmegaStarScream said you can use a mixing service like ChipMixer, just to get that mind satisfaction you are looking for.
stan_almighty1

Activity: 32
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 11, 2017, 01:27:50 PM

I think there is nothing as dirty coin in this blockchain system. You can get it from the dirty way but it's still clean coins. Unless you're busted by the goverments . Cheesy
Mbidox (OP)

View Profile
December 11, 2017, 02:52:27 PM
Last edit: December 12, 2017, 08:53:49 PM by Mbidox

Thank you. But my question was not: "How can I clean my coins."
But it was: "Where can I check if my coins are clean."

As long as I do not know if my coins are clean or not, I will not use any mixer, because the most who use a mixer, are persons who have dirty coins and want to clean it.

So if my coins are clean and I would use a mixer, then my coins will be less clean:

If you mix dirty coins from Person A with dirty cons from Person B, then the coins are still dirty.
If you mix dirty coins from person A with clean coins from me, then person A has now less dirty coins, but I have now also dirty coins.

Edit: The following was a statement to a post which is deleted in the mean time. Seems it was indeed a scam, why else should it be deleted in the mean time?:

No idea if www.helixlightgrams.com is serious or a scam. Can this be true? How can I get brand new Bitcoins through a mixer? Sounds like a scam. (?)
mocacinno
Legendary

Activity: 3360
Merit: 4916

https://merel.mobi => buy facemasks with BTC/LTC

View Profile WWW
December 11, 2017, 02:58:59 PM

As long as I do not know if my coins are clean or not, I will not use any mixer, because the most who use a mixer, are persons who have dirty coins and want to clean it.

So if my coins are clean and I would use a mixer, then my coins will be less clean:

If you mix dirty coins from Person A with dirty cons from Person B, then the coins are still dirty.
If you mix dirty coins from person A with clean coins from me, then person A has now less dirty coins, but I have now also dirty coins.

No idea if www.helixlightgrams.com is serious or a scam. Can this be true? How can I get brand new Bitcoins through a mixer? Sounds like a scam. (?)

bitcoin mixers are real... you don't get new coins, you just break the link between your old and your new coins... However, i haven't used grams in the past, but i do know there are many scam sites that impersonate helix grams... I have no idear if this is the real link,  or a link to a scam version

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
TheQuin

Activity: 2576
Merit: 882

Freebitco.in Support https://bit.ly/2I9BVS2

View Profile WWW
December 11, 2017, 03:03:21 PM

I don't think that you can other than tracking back the history of all the inputs you own. I'm not really sure there is any point if you got them legitimately. It's a bit like worrying if the 20 dollar bill in your pocket was ever used in a crime. You can't be held responsible for what happened before the person you did business with got the coins.

freebitcoin.TO WIN A  LAMBORGHINI!..

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄███████████▄▄▄▄▄
                    ▄▄▄▄▄██████████████████████████████████▄▄▄▄
                    ▀██████████████████████████████████████████████▄▄▄
                    ▄▄████▄█████▄████████████████████████████▄█████▄████▄▄
                    ▀████████▀▀▀████████████████████████████████▀▀▀██████████▄
                      ▀▀▀████▄▄▄███████████████████████████████▄▄▄██████████
                           ▀█████▀  ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀  ▀█████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
                   ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
stevegee58
Legendary

Activity: 916
Merit: 1003

View Profile
December 11, 2017, 03:04:56 PM

US $20 bills are supposedly contaminated with cocaine residue.  Would any reasonable person stop using them because of that?

You are in a maze of twisty little passages, all alike.
JoyofCrypto

Activity: 198
Merit: 10

View Profile
December 11, 2017, 03:08:52 PM

Couldn't care less if my bitcoins are clean or not. They are still worth the same amount of money, so whatever...
Mbidox (OP)

View Profile
December 11, 2017, 03:15:57 PM

It's a bit like worrying if the 20 dollar bill in your pocket was ever used in a crime. You can't be held responsible for what happened before the person you did business with got the coins.

There is a difference:
dollar bill: It is not possible to trace backward, if this dollar bill was used in a crime.

Bitcoin: It is possible to trace backward, if any fragment of your Bitcoins are involved in a crime in the past.

fictive scenario:
So it can be that any government office could lock all bitcoin fragments who were involved in a crime in the past, for security. Maybe no trading platform is allowed then to accept such bitcoin fragments, for security. I want to be sure, that my bitcoins are clean. But I have to check this, before this scenario is real. Because then, I am possible to change my bitcoins. But when I wait until this scenario is real, I will not have the possibility to change my bitcoins. It will be to late.

I think it would be enough just to know a website with a list of addresses which were involved in a crime. So we could trace back our own bitcoins to find out if we have a fragment of a bitcoin who was involved in a crime in the past.
TheQuin

Activity: 2576
Merit: 882

Freebitco.in Support https://bit.ly/2I9BVS2

View Profile WWW
December 11, 2017, 03:26:41 PM

fictive scenario:
So it can be that any government office could lock all bitcoin fragments who were involved in a crime in the past, for security. Maybe no trading platform is allowed then to accept such bitcoin fragments, for security. I want to be sure, that my bitcoins are clean. But I have to check this, before this scenario is real. Because then, I am possible to change my bitcoins. But when I wait until this scenario is real, I will not have the possibility to change my bitcoins. It will be to late.

That is really not the case. As I said you cannot be held responsible for the entire history of the coin any more than you can with cash. The authorities can take action against the first person that received the coin say for example if it was an exchange and try and recover the funds from them. They would not be able to take any action to recover from that exchanges legitimate customers that may have received the coins.

I think you will find that is why the service you are looking for to check if your coins are 'clean' doesn't exist. It doesn't exist because it is irrelevant.

freebitcoin.TO WIN A  LAMBORGHINI!..

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄███████████▄▄▄▄▄
                    ▄▄▄▄▄██████████████████████████████████▄▄▄▄
                    ▀██████████████████████████████████████████████▄▄▄
                    ▄▄████▄█████▄████████████████████████████▄█████▄████▄▄
                    ▀████████▀▀▀████████████████████████████████▀▀▀██████████▄
                      ▀▀▀████▄▄▄███████████████████████████████▄▄▄██████████
                           ▀█████▀  ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀  ▀█████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
                   ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
ForeverSmall

Activity: 36
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 11, 2017, 03:35:07 PM

bitcoin clean or not is up to you not it self
in someway bitcoin like money so clean or not i think you can answer this
stevegee58
Legendary

Activity: 916
Merit: 1003

View Profile
December 11, 2017, 03:35:20 PM

Something else to consider: Paper currency is regularly removed from circulation as it deteriorates and replaced with new notes.  The supply of paper money is effectively infinite.

Bitcoin on the other hand is definitely limited to about 21 million.  As the blockchain ages, Bitcoins will increasingly become "tainted" until nearly all are.

What is more, once you're paid you can't just decide to not take some of it because it's tainted.

You are in a maze of twisty little passages, all alike.
Mountaingoat

Activity: 714
Merit: 500

View Profile WWW
December 11, 2017, 08:52:28 PM

As far as I know a Bitcoin can not be clean or unclean, a Bitcoin is just a Bitcoin.

It should matter if it has been used to donate to a charity or used to buy something from a black market.
Mbidox (OP)

View Profile
December 11, 2017, 09:33:33 PM

As the blockchain ages, Bitcoins will increasingly become "tainted" until nearly all are.
Interesting thought.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: