Bitcoin Forum
April 18, 2024, 12:16:29 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Building a bitcoin embassy!  (Read 13796 times)
adamstgBit (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1037

Trusted Bitcoiner

View Profile WWW
June 16, 2013, 03:02:55 AM
Last edit: July 23, 2013, 04:46:06 PM by adamstgBit

goto the Official thread

Coming soon to montreal
The Bitcoin Embassy!

Thanks to a generous person who will remain anonymous for the time being, We have been given a building that we hope to convert into a  " Bitcoin Embassy ". With three floors to do with as we please, we hope to organize the space to make it easy and fun for people from all over the province to come and learn about bitcoin, as well provide an office space for bitcoiners to come do in order to start bitcoin related projects, so they can work closely with other bitcoin entrepreneurs, to develop exciting projects that will utilize bitcoin in new ways! We are still in the early stages of development, but we hope to open our doors ASAP! With that said there is much work to be done in a short time, we welcome any and all ideas from the community at large, if you had to build turn a building into a " Bitcoin Embassy " how would you do it?

Many questions that need to be answered:

Is the title " Bitcoin Embassy " appropriate?
How should be organizes the street floor and the 2 other floors?
What will be our main mission?
What kind of services do we want to offer? ( BTC / CAD exchange ? )
Building policy?
(There is at least 21 million other questions, but this is a start )

We welcome any and all ideas from the community at large, if you had to turn a building into a " Bitcoin Embassy " how would you do it?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The Bitcoin network protocol was designed to be extremely flexible. It can be used to create timed transactions, escrow transactions, multi-signature transactions, etc. The current features of the client only hint at what will be possible in the future.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
QuantumKiwi

Activity: 322
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
June 16, 2013, 03:04:09 AM

Would love to do it here in NZ, would require substantial funds though.

Starting your own website?
CLOUD Hosting from $4.95/0.05BTC!
adamstgBit (OP)
Legendary

Trusted Bitcoiner

View Profile WWW
June 16, 2013, 03:16:19 AM

Would love to do it here in NZ, would require substantial funds though.

I feel so fortunate that its happening in montreal, since I live nearby.  Smiley

Korbman
Legendary

Activity: 1064
Merit: 1001

View Profile
June 16, 2013, 03:17:24 AM

Wow, that's pretty awesome! Not to mention Montreal is only an hour and a half away, so visiting isn't really a big deal Cheesy

There are certainly a number of things you could do with 3 floors worth of space...hmm...

adamstgBit (OP)
Legendary

Trusted Bitcoiner

View Profile WWW
June 16, 2013, 03:25:48 AM

How should be organizes the street floor and the 2 other floors?

IMO, Jake's vision is the way to go,

The street floor we have a "bitcoin help desk" ( a place anyone can walk into and ask questions to a professional behind the desk )
  maybe we want to allow customers to buy and sell bitcoin here?
  maybe we want to sell bitcoin related products here?

The second floor is a lounge that is open to all bitcoiners, this is where we kick back and have a few drinks as we talk about the endless possibilities bitcoin offers.
  maybe we want to have some events happen here open to the general public?

The third floor is the office space where bitcoiners come to work!
   I work from home and its a bitch sometimes having the kids constantly distract me, maybe I could be allowed to work 9 to 5, 5 days a week in the building Huh  Cheesy

adamstgBit (OP)
Legendary

Trusted Bitcoiner

View Profile WWW
June 16, 2013, 03:27:47 AM

Wow, that's pretty awesome! Not to mention Montreal is only an hour and a half away, so visiting isn't really a big deal Cheesy

There are certainly a number of things you could do with 3 floors worth of space...hmm...

We will have a big meetup sometime soon when we have a good plan and something worth showing off

i'll add you to the bitcoin montreal meetup mailing list to keep you updated

Brunic

Activity: 632
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 16, 2013, 03:48:14 AM

Hey guys.

I'm looking for physical Bitcoin-related products that could be sold in a store. For example, Casascius coin or something similar, but also everything related. It could be t-shirts, beer glasses, cars, I don't know.

Also, do anyone have a source of physical Bitcoin information? Like pamphlet, posters, anything that can be distributed?

We can't use that. With the law 101, we need a french name or something in french to describe it. If not, we're going to be stuck with something like "Les ambassades Bitcoin Embassy".
But don't worry, I have something for this and I believe this problem is solved. I'll talk about it next time we meet.
adamstgBit (OP)
Legendary

Trusted Bitcoiner

View Profile WWW
June 16, 2013, 04:03:03 AM

Hey guys.

I'm looking for physical Bitcoin-related products that could be sold in a store. For example, Casascius coin or something similar, but also everything related. It could be t-shirts, beer glasses, cars, I don't know.

Also, do anyone have a source of physical Bitcoin information? Like pamphlet, posters, anything that can be distributed?

We can't use that. With the law 101, we need a french name or something in french to describe it. If not, we're going to be stuck with something like "Les ambassades Bitcoin Embassy".
But don't worry, I have something for this and I believe this problem is solved. I'll talk about it next time we meet.

law 101 I forgot about that.

I will make a list of Bitcoin-related products we might want to showcase in the store.

Brunic

View Profile
June 16, 2013, 04:14:07 AM

Hey guys.

law 101 I forgot about that.

I will make a list of Bitcoin-related products we might want to showcase in the store.

Great! That would be helpful. Are you going to post the list here?

As for the name, I'm making a document right now to describe the "trademark". If you want, PM your email and I can send you the document. It's in french, but I think you can read it.  Wink

Otherwise, well, I can make a translated version later.
The Bitcoin Catalog

Activity: 238
Merit: 100

The Bitcoin Catalog ---> Get Started!

View Profile WWW
June 16, 2013, 04:24:25 AM

As for the name, I'm making a document right now to describe the "trademark". If you want, PM your email and I can send you the document. It's in french, but I think you can read it.  Wink

Send it to me either! I'm curious about it

The Bitcoin Catalog: Second edition coming out in November! Click here for a  FREE pdf catalog!
Follow us on twitter! @BTCcatalog
Brunic

View Profile
June 16, 2013, 04:31:07 AM

Send it to me either! I'm curious about it

PM me your email.
coinguycanada

Activity: 20
Merit: 10

View Profile
June 16, 2013, 05:05:09 AM

It might be interesting to offer courses on setting up wallet and other basics of Bitcoins especially in two streams, English and French, would be good.
dwdoc
Legendary

Activity: 966
Merit: 1000

- - -Caveat Aleo- - -

View Profile
June 16, 2013, 05:22:04 AM

Re: Is the title " Bitcoin Embassy " appropriate?

Sounds a little political.

What about Bitcoin Institute or Bitcoin Bureau?  Huh
AbraxasCcs
Legendary

Activity: 1568
Merit: 1032

Beyond the flavor!

View Profile
June 16, 2013, 05:30:11 AM

What kind of services do we want to offer? ( BTC / CAD exchange ? )

Absolutely you must offer offshore mining.

Mine Chococoin, eat real chocolate!
Bitrated user: Abraxas.
bitcoinstarter

Activity: 484

View Profile
June 16, 2013, 06:01:59 AM

Be cool to Bitcoin crowdfund some of these places!  I can see where people open up Bitcoin embassies all over the world. Very cool idea indeed!
Brunic

View Profile
June 16, 2013, 06:14:20 AM

It might be interesting to offer courses on setting up wallet and other basics of Bitcoins especially in two streams, English and French, would be good.

Yeah, that's a good point. We will probably be the first place people come complain if they get their BTC stolen. No worries about the French part, I'm one of those "racist nazi" quebecers that abide by our "language police".  Grin

Re: Is the title " Bitcoin Embassy " appropriate?

Sounds a little political.

What about Bitcoin Institute or Bitcoin Bureau?  Huh

Just to specify a point that may be uncommon to people around here. The only official language in Québec province is French and we have laws in place to protect our french heritage, mainly to prevent english assimilation. The most famous law is named the law 101 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charter_of_the_French_Language). To put it simply, the name of the place MUST be in French. There is some exceptions in the law, "Bitcoin" could fall under those exceptions easily, but not general terms like "embassy" or "institute". "Bureau" could work though, we have the same in french.

All this to say, I know how that law works and I currently have a name I'm working on right now. I'm pretty confident in it and I think it's a really elegant solution to all this. I'll keep you informed.

Absolutely you must offer offshore mining.

That's something really interesting to consider. Didn't taught of it, thanks!
BTCLuke

Activity: 526
Merit: 508

My other Avatar is also Scrooge McDuck

View Profile
June 17, 2013, 12:22:32 AM

+1 Bureau de la Bitcoin - Embassies are for states and a lot of us bitcoin anarchists are frankly offended. Wink

Ideas for usage:

1. Musee de la bitcoin! Any physical objects of historical significance to buy up and display here? First caus coin? First hardware wallet? etc...

2. Daily "bitcoin for noobs" class. Make a room into a presentation that runs several times a day teaching new coiners everything they need to know... Not just a movie though, have workstations and some activities like downloading a wallet to their own phone and so forth...

3. A Bitcoin ATM, of course! Preferably facing the street like a bank would do it.

4. More startup space than just the top floor... I'd say half the 2nd floor too, as long as the 2nd floor is big enough for a solid-sized meetup group.

5. A cybercafe/starbucks that ONLY takes bitcoin.

Bon chance!

Luke Parker
Bank Abolitionist
adamstgBit (OP)
Legendary

Trusted Bitcoiner

View Profile WWW
June 17, 2013, 12:31:00 AM

+1 Bureau de la Bitcoin - Embassies are for states and a lot of us bitcoin anarchists are frankly offended. Wink

Ideas for usage:

1. Musee de la bitcoin! Any physical objects of historical significance to buy up and display here? First caus coin? First hardware wallet? etc...

2. Daily "bitcoin for noobs" class. Make a room into a presentation that runs several times a day teaching new coiners everything they need to know... Not just a movie though, have workstations and some activities like downloading a wallet to their own phone and so forth...

3. A Bitcoin ATM, of course! Preferably facing the street like a bank would do it.

4. More startup space than just the top floor... I'd say half the 2nd floor too, as long as the 2nd floor is big enough for a solid-sized meetup group.

5. A cybercafe/starbucks that ONLY takes bitcoin.

Bon chance!

thank you for your input  Smiley

adamstgBit (OP)
Legendary

Trusted Bitcoiner

View Profile WWW
June 17, 2013, 12:36:21 AM

our focus right now should be to, get a good plan all squared away , and get more people from montreal involved
if we have a good plan, it will be easy to organize people to help out in whatever way they can

I wait to hear from Jake about the legal status of buying and selling bitcoin in the province of quebec.

fallinglantern

Activity: 260
Merit: 251

View Profile
June 17, 2013, 02:57:49 AM

To be a proper supernode, you must have ceilings that are at least 4m tall.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: