Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 06:58:39 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Kaspersky Discoveres New Cryptocurrency Stealing Trojan Called CrryptoShuffler  (Read 386 times)
vapourminer
Legendary

Activity: 4326
Merit: 3519

what is this "brake pedal" you speak of?

View Profile
November 05, 2017, 08:59:37 PM

Now that Ive had the malware described to me (read this as a bitcoin headline but didnt click), Im a bit confused. How is this any different that any other trojan that compromises a wallet and steals the keys? maybe this was a simplistic explanation, but seriously there have been programs that hijack wallet clients pretty much since bitcoin started to be worth something. I guess maybe this one can compromise multiple clients with just the one piece of code?

this one monitors the clipboard for a crypto addys and replaces it with it own, similar one. its been around for a long time, well over a year im sure, at least the btc one. im sure newer ones monitor for more.

simple solution: get a hardware wallet for crypto that they support (trezor supports btc/eth/ltc/bcc, a couple others for example). also helps not to install alt wallets willy nilly. not to mentions pirated software in general. *nix/mac helps but they not immune to virii, contrary to what some think.
There are several different types of Bitcoin clients. The most secure are full nodes like Bitcoin Core, which will follow the rules of the network no matter what miners do. Even if every miner decided to create 1000 bitcoins per block, full nodes would stick to the rules and reject those blocks.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
jseverson

Activity: 1834
Merit: 759

View Profile
November 06, 2017, 09:24:38 AM

I've read about this in a thread a few weeks ago. Some user said he had the very same problem. It's very alarming if you're blindly using copy paste, but I'm willing to bet that most users at least try to cross check their addresses. This is money we're dealing with after all.

Still, they have already stolen a few coins, and it's just alarming how these hackers are crafting viruses specifically for hacking Bitcoins. This is a relatively simple one, but if these are starting to get popular, how long will it take for more elaborate viruses and trojan to spread right? Everyone should really learn how to protect themselves.

bitjoin

Activity: 1372
Merit: 500

View Profile
November 06, 2017, 09:28:13 AM

Hardware wallets have solved this issue. They display the address on the screen so you can clearly see if there was tampering or not. With Bitcoin price of 7500$ (at the moment of writing this) I don't think that investing 100$ into hardware wallet in order to secure your coins is a bad idea.

I think its a good idea but i cant fully 100% trust a hardware wallet, any reason why i should? Maybe having a % in your hardware wallet is the way to go.

THE BEST IN SPACE
AUTO-COMPOUNDING DEFI 3.0
PROTOCOL ON BSC
▀█▄▄▄                                                                      ▄▄▄█▀
▀██
████▄▄▄                                                          ▄▄▄██████▀
▀▀███
██████▄▄▄                                              ▄▄▄█████████▀▀
▀▀████
████████▄▄▄                                ▄▄▄████████████▀▀
▀████████████████▄ ▄▄                  ▄▄ ▄████████████████▀
████████████████████▄▄          ▄▄████████████████████
▀█████████████████████        █████████████████████▀
▀████
███████████████▌      ▐███████████████
████▀
▀▀█████████
██████████████████
█████████▀▀
▀████████████████████████████████▀

▀███████████████████████████▀

▀██
█████ ███    ███ ███████▀
▀▀███   ██    ██   ███▀▀
.....5 0 1 , 6 5 2 %   A P Y......
|     TWITTER     |    TELEGRAM    |     DISCORD     |
....JOIN NOW....
yndye

Activity: 616
Merit: 262

View Profile WWW
November 06, 2017, 09:36:47 AM

I've read about this in a thread a few weeks ago. Some user said he had the very same problem. It's very alarming if you're blindly using copy paste, but I'm willing to bet that most users at least try to cross check their addresses. This is money we're dealing with after all.

Still, they have already stolen a few coins, and it's just alarming how these hackers are crafting viruses specifically for hacking Bitcoins. This is a relatively simple one, but if these are starting to get popular, how long will it take for more elaborate viruses and trojan to spread right? Everyone should really learn how to protect themselves.

We should always be careful in all we do online especially regarding the addresses because if one is not careful then the funds can be easily stolen. It would be advisable to use a separate gadget strictly for cryptocurrency and if possible disconnect the internet if one is not using it. The safer way would be to store the funds in a hardware wallet. Due to the recent spike in price, cryptocurrency has attracted more attention to people and those who are looking for an easy way to get hold of bitcoin would likely do something illegal like this and others would follow suit so we should always secure our funds.

▄▄▄████████▄▄▄
▄▄██████████████████▄▄
▄████████████████████████▄
▄███████████▀▀███████████████▄
██████████▀▀ ▄▄█▀  █████████████
███████████▄▄█▀  ▄███▀   █████████
█████████████  ▄███▀      ██████████
▄████████████████▀        ███████████▄
██████████████▀          ▄████████████
███████████▀             █████████████
████████▀               ██████████████
████████▄              ███  ██████████
▀██████████████        ██  █▀ ███████▀
███████████████      ██▀ ▄█ ▄███████
██████████████     ███  █  ███████
██████████████   ▄██  █▀ ███████
▀████████████▄ ▄█████████████▀
▀████████████████████████▀
▀▀██████████████████▀▀
▀▀▀████████▀▀▀

▄████████████████████▄
████████      ████████
██████████████████████
██                  ██
██                  ██
██                  ██
██                  ██
██                  ██
██                  ██
██                  ██
██                  ██
██                  ██
██                  ██
██                  ██
██                  ██
██                  ██
██████████▀▀██████████
████████▀    ▀████████
████████▄    ▄████████
▀█████████▄▄█████████▀
  Download on the
App Store

GET IT ON
Google Play
  ●  FACEBOOK
●  TWITTER
●  TELEGRAM
silent17

Activity: 420
Merit: 119

View Profile
November 06, 2017, 10:11:06 AM

Researchers at the Kaspersky Lab have recently discovered a new malware named CryptoShuffler Trojan that is being used by cybercriminals to steal cryptocurrencies from a user’s wallet. What this malware does is that it replaces the user’s wallet address by its own in their devices.

Kaspersky – The Russia-based cybersecurity company has claimed that the cybercriminals are targeting popular cryptocurrencies like Ethereum, Bitcoin, ZCash, Dash, Monero with a target of stealing 23 BTC worth nearly $100,000. Smiley
Does this malware also change the online wallet that we have? currently i'm only using a web base wallet because i don't want to install wallet in my cellphone or PC to avoid being stolen, because i usually don't have a permanent PC nor Phone. because of that I choose to have a web base wallet.
ivrynx

Activity: 518
Merit: 103

View Profile
November 06, 2017, 10:22:36 AM

This news is very disturbing, what we should do is to be more careful at sites that w go to, a d especially the programs that we download, they should all.come to trusted websites or sources. It is a good that we this community,.everyone is becoming aware in cases like this, hopefully kaspersky team will announce what is the source of the trojan and hopefully find a way to block and deleted its files. Hopefully there would be an update from kaspersky.
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: