Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 07:12:15 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: "Important announcements"?!  (Read 761 times)
Sukrim (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 2618
Merit: 1006

View Profile
June 16, 2013, 08:11:22 AM

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=234850.0

Why the hell does this stuff belong in important announcements and not in service announcements?

https://www.coinlend.org <-- automated lending at various exchanges.
https://www.bitfinex.com <-- Trade BTC for other currencies and vice versa.
Bitcoin addresses contain a checksum, so it is very unlikely that mistyping an address will cause you to lose money.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
🏰 TradeFortress 🏰
Bitcoin Veteran
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1316
Merit: 1043

👻

View Profile
June 16, 2013, 11:33:29 AM

I raised payouts by ~5x, and it's out of 'beta'.

It's as "important" as "Block Erupter USB | Group Buy Newsletter".
Sukrim (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 2618
Merit: 1006

View Profile
June 16, 2013, 12:32:59 PM

Yeah, there are actually quite a few "announcements" in there that I don't see very important at all and some (e.g. new releases of main bitcoin wallet software like bitcoin-qt or Armory or electrum) are not posted there...

Most threads are about hacks, compromises and lawsuits or their fallout. Is this really the impression that "important announcements" of the Bitcoin community wants to give of Bitcoin?

Posting threads about how one can earn some sub-cent amounts for using a centralized, closed source, proprietory version of IRC is also not the solution imho.

https://www.coinlend.org <-- automated lending at various exchanges.
https://www.bitfinex.com <-- Trade BTC for other currencies and vice versa.
Herbert

Activity: 488
Merit: 500

View Profile WWW
June 16, 2013, 08:42:03 PM

Yeah, there are actually quite a few "announcements" in there that I don't see very important at all and some (e.g. new releases of main bitcoin wallet software like bitcoin-qt or Armory or electrum) are not posted there...

Most threads are about hacks, compromises and lawsuits or their fallout. Is this really the impression that "important announcements" of the Bitcoin community wants to give of Bitcoin?

Posting threads about how one can earn some sub-cent amounts for using a centralized, closed source, proprietory version of IRC is also not the solution imho.

+1! I was just thinking wtf why is advertisement posted under important announcements. Then I realized that moderator also has it in his sig. Oookay. Nice way to abuse one's power.

www.bitcoinmonitor.net - Free payment notification via email, newsfeed, xpmm/jabber, url callback and full API access!
Send SMS with www.txt4coins.net! No registration, pay-per-use, full API access, bulk messages - All inclusive!
Maged
Legendary

Activity: 1204
Merit: 1015

View Profile
June 17, 2013, 03:01:05 AM

This is why I disagree with VIPs being allowed to post there, but ultimately theymos made the call on this that this was acceptable.

John (John K.)
Global Troll-buster and
Legendary

Activity: 1288
Merit: 1225

Away on an extended break

View Profile
June 17, 2013, 04:31:53 AM

+1! I was just thinking wtf why is advertisement posted under important announcements. Then I realized that moderator also has it in his sig. Oookay. Nice way to abuse one's power.

I don't think any moderators has posted any of their own advertisements in that subforum though. It's VIP's who posted there themselves.

This is why I disagree with VIPs being allowed to post there, but ultimately theymos made the call on this that this was acceptable.

So, it costs ~5k to get a prime advertising spot in Important Announcements?

In theory, yes. Note that there's a 1 per week posting limit there though.
I'm with Maged here too as I agree that the important announcements subforum should be reserved for situations where there's a security risk/something important and time limited, not personal company advertisements.
🏰 TradeFortress 🏰
Bitcoin Veteran
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1316
Merit: 1043

👻

View Profile
June 17, 2013, 06:33:36 AM

Yep, it's a pretty good point, which is why I have requested deletion of my ad.
Herbert

Activity: 488
Merit: 500

View Profile WWW
June 17, 2013, 07:31:09 PM

Yep, it's a pretty good point, which is why I have requested deletion of my ad.

Damn decent of you.

+1. (And sorry for mixing up Mods and VIP)

www.bitcoinmonitor.net - Free payment notification via email, newsfeed, xpmm/jabber, url callback and full API access!
Send SMS with www.txt4coins.net! No registration, pay-per-use, full API access, bulk messages - All inclusive!
jackjack
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1233

May Bitcoin be touched by his Noodly Appendage

View Profile
June 18, 2013, 07:50:06 AM

I never went there before, I just did and I'm kind of disappointed of what I'm seeing
So I can't agree more...

[ANN] Bitcoin Venture Capital bitfund.pe raised $3.22 million, 64% completed.
Nope
Block Erupter USB | Group Buy Newsletter
Nope

Own address: 19QkqAza7BHFTuoz9N8UQkryP4E9jHo4N3 - Pywallet support: 1AQDfx22pKGgXnUZFL1e4UKos3QqvRzNh5 - Bitcointalk++ script support: 1Pxeccscj1ygseTdSV1qUqQCanp2B2NMM2
Pywallet: instructions. Encrypted wallet support, export/import keys/addresses, backup wallets, export/import CSV data from/into wallet, merge wallets, delete/import addresses and transactions, recover altcoins sent to bitcoin addresses, sign/verify messages and files with Bitcoin addresses, recover deleted wallets, etc.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: