Bitcoin Forum
April 20, 2024, 01:48:00 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: November fork Segwit2x - Advice on what to do  (Read 845 times)
AntonioE

Activity: 28
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 06, 2017, 01:36:49 AM

I gotta say I also need some advise on what to do so I'll watch this one.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Hugroll

Activity: 756
Merit: 500

View Profile
November 06, 2017, 01:46:47 AM

I would need advice on the best way to profit from Segwit2x (if there is a way). At the moment, I have some bitcoin at 3 different exchanges, but I have read that not all of them will list a possible new chain and that I should keep funds cold stored for the occassion.

So far it seems that segwit2x and original bitcoin both don't have replay protection, that means that if you spend coins on either chain someone could attack and mimic a transaction on the other chain.

You are suggested to not spend any coins after the fork until either chain integrates replay protection. I'm sure one of the chains is going to cave in and enable it.
pentol86

Activity: 851
Merit: 254

Borderless for People, Frictionless for Banks

View Profile WWW
November 06, 2017, 01:57:01 AM

better you hold your bitcoin to private wallet, with private key, if you want new coin after fork, try trusted exchanger.

=====================================================
BILLCRYPT - CREATING HISTORY
=====================================================
Micerker J. Meyer

Activity: 53
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 06, 2017, 01:58:41 AM

Hi,

I would need advice on the best way to profit from Segwit2x (if there is a way). At the moment, I have some bitcoin at 3 different exchanges, but I have read that not all of them will list a possible new chain and that I should keep funds cold stored for the occassion.

Is it possible to get coins in both chains? Does that mean that you get "free" BC2 or whatever the name they choose? If so, how can I make sure I am in?

Thanks!
You should store your bitcoin and wait for segwit2x or you exchange bitcoin to cash
Cutekittens21

Activity: 140
Merit: 100

View Profile
November 06, 2017, 02:26:28 AM

I would assume most intelligent people will avoid this fork, just like the btc cash fork.

Who with a brain would trust an open exchange with their btc? Not me, fork that shit!

This fork will fail, just like the bitcoin cash fork was a failure. Fork that!

This is the most controversial fork to date. Not at all on the same level at bitcoin cash.
sabine80

Activity: 728
Merit: 14

View Profile
November 06, 2017, 03:37:53 AM
Last edit: May 22, 2018, 01:28:23 AM by sabine80

The only advice I would give you is to hold out until the fork is completed.  Then you would have two currencies, the old bitcoin and bitcoin 2x segwit.  You get free coins, to which you can sell those coins for more bitcoins or any other altcoin you desire.

thanks for this advice. Smiley
FoxTheHuman

Activity: 238

View Profile
November 06, 2017, 03:48:47 AM

If you want to receive BC2 from this hard fork event you can store your bitcoin at coinbase here is a wallet support event this time and you can get BC for free.
cokkapaga
Legendary

Activity: 867
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
November 06, 2017, 03:54:47 AM

many of people buy bitcoin before the hardfork to get coin from the hardfork
its better to hold your btc and you will received coin too.

▄▄▄████████▄▄▄
▄▄██████████████████▄▄
▄███████████▀▀███████████▄
▄███████████▀    ▀███████████▄
███████████▀        ▀█    ██████
██████████▀                ███████
█████████▀      ▄██▄        ████████
▄███████▀      ▄█▀  ▀█▄      ▀███████▄
██████▀      ▄█▀      ▀█▄      ▀██████
█████▄     ▄█▀    ▄ ▄   ▀█▄     ▄█████
███████▄ ▄█▀    ██████    ▀█▄ ▄███████
█████████▀       █   ██     ▀█████████
▀████████        █████       ████████▀
████████        █   ██      ████████
███████       ██████       ███████
██████         ▀ ▀        ██████
▀████                    ████▀
▀████████████████████████▀
▀▀██████████████████▀▀
▀▀▀████████▀▀▀

Alt.Estate

█████
█████
█████

█████
█████
█████

█████
█████
█████

█████
█████
█████

█████
█████
█████

█████
█████
█████

█████
█████
█████

█████
█████
█████

█████
█████
█████

█████
█████
█████

█████
█████
█████

█████
█████
█████
  TELEGRAM
MEDIUM
TWITTER
FACEBOOK
illinest

Activity: 454
Merit: 251

View Profile
November 06, 2017, 05:15:22 AM

You are suggested to not spend any coins after the fork until either chain integrates replay protection. I'm sure one of the chains is going to cave in and enable it.

I think that's unlikely. As much as the NYA signers want B2X to succeed, they don't seem interested in supporting it as a minority chain. Replay protection would only be introduced if they wanted the fork to survive (as an altcoin) despite having minority hash rate. Why would they do that? With majority hash rate, they can at least argue that B2X is the stronger chain. That doesn't make it "Bitcoin" to us, but according to most of the NYA signers' policies, it does.

At the end of the day, companies like Coinbase, BitGo and Blockchain want to see regular capacity increases to Bitcoin that simply aren't realistic. I can see why they are pivoting to altcoins. I just wish they'd do it a bit more peacefully...
aizen10

Activity: 546

View Profile
November 06, 2017, 05:51:09 AM

some of the investors of bitcoin are getting crazy to buy bitcoin as much as they can just to get free coin from the upcoming fork. so they adding their on hold bitcoin just to collect more free coins, so i suggest you that during the fork dont make any transactions on the blockchain to prevent of loosing it. like me i decided to store all my bitcoin on my cold storage and dont use/spend or make any transaction during the fork to prevent for any looses.
Hell-raiser

Activity: 462
Merit: 515

View Profile
November 06, 2017, 06:01:06 AM

No offense Pointhope but wth are you talking about, clearly uneducated on Bitcoin Cash and the current state of things.

It is not a completely invalid what he states, although the tone could have been better Wink But there are risks in having them on exchange sites given the history of some larger exchange sites that closed suddenly and froze/stole people's balances. Once the market matures a bit more and becomes better regulated, this risk will lower.

Back to the point, there is an excellent post here above that actually describes it thoroughly and well.

Yes, saving coins in a personal wallet is the best thing which you can do if your primary concern is safety. Correct me if I'm wrong on this, but to get the alternative chain coins, your wallet should support this new chain, right? And if it doesn't do that right from the start while you want to sell the forked coins immediately, this may be a suboptimal option.
lighpulsar07

Activity: 518
Merit: 271

View Profile
November 06, 2017, 08:06:43 AM

I think that's unlikely. As much as the NYA signers want B2X to succeed, they don't seem interested in supporting it as a minority chain. Replay protection would only be introduced if they wanted the fork to survive (as an altcoin) despite having minority hash rate. Why would they do that? With majority hash rate, they can at least argue that B2X is the stronger chain. That doesn't make it "Bitcoin" to us, but according to most of the NYA signers' policies, it does.

At the end of the day, companies like Coinbase, BitGo and Blockchain want to see regular capacity increases to Bitcoin that simply aren't realistic. I can see why they are pivoting to altcoins. I just wish they'd do it a bit more peacefully...
that's right the NYA signers want segwit2x to succeed and became a majority chain but due it lack of replay protection which is needed for hard fork and without it the loss of funds is unvoidable due to replay spending and because of this issue, the communities and notable bitcoin start ups condemned this and some NYA signers dropped their support. and if they successfully forked the coin, the market will choose legacy over B2X. so, in the end B2X will fail
malikusama
Copper Member

Activity: 1050
Merit: 294

View Profile
November 06, 2017, 08:07:38 AM

To claim your coins you should store your funds before the fork on the wallets or exchanges which are offering B2X coins such as coins.ph or exchanges Bitfinex and coinbase which are currently on the top of the list. Don't worry you will be credited with free B2X coins, hence you will have coins on both chains.
monir34

Activity: 93
Merit: 10

View Profile
November 06, 2017, 08:20:32 AM

You will be in profit if you hold Bitcoin during Segwit2x fork. You will get Segwit2x equal of your Bitcoin specially in coinbase wallet. But there is another risk. Bitcoin price might be down. But if your plan to stock Bitcoin for long term, there is no need worry. Once Bitcoin will up. So my personal advice to you better hold Bitcoin in coinbase wallet.
bitart

Activity: 1442
Merit: 629

Vires in Numeris

View Profile
November 06, 2017, 10:35:45 PM

I've tried to google for the list of exchanges supporting Segwit2X forked coin, and found this list (as of 5th Nov.):
https://cryptocoinmastery.com/what-exchanges-are-supporting-segwit2x/
Does anyone have a more up to date list, or we should wait a bit because fork is about 10 days ahead and exchanges still have time to prepare?
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: