Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 09:50:14 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Antminer farm now operational!  (Read 7818 times)
VentMine

Activity: 236
Merit: 105

View Profile
November 17, 2017, 11:49:40 PM

Nice farm. I see L3+,  Is This machine to minning LTC coin or anorther coin ? I'm newbie in minning forum.

It's mining through Nicehash, which gives you larger profits by switching the coin it mines automatically.

Just curious GMPoison, does nicehash pay you out in BTC even tho your mining LTC / Nicehash switches it between the most profitable coin?

Cool set up, nice to see you followed through, as I was watching your initial posts asking the forum for feedback. Good job buddy welcome to mining!!!

What are the specs for those Tripplite PDU's? If you don't mind me asking, how much did they cost you? I'm thinking of making my next set-up with PDUs.

Thanks, and yes, Nicehash automatically converts the coins it mines to BTC.

Here is a link to the PDU's I used. They provide up to 7.4kW on 240v, it's legit! Two L3+ per PSU, one PSU per connector, and four connectors per PDU makes a perfect 6.4kW per PDU per outlet! Well, well worth the $180 I paid for each of them.

@error08 - Use the profitability calculator on Nicehash, it's accurate. Based on the price I paid per L3+ ($1650) and PSU ($115) you can calculate my ROI, minus the couple grand I dropped on the equipment and electric install.

Thank you sir, and good luck - may Satoshi smile upon your farm.

1ESSdoVYKm8sNtYMfdkFBajhAe2e6G8keH

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
There are several different types of Bitcoin clients. The most secure are full nodes like Bitcoin Core, which will follow the rules of the network no matter what miners do. Even if every miner decided to create 1000 bitcoins per block, full nodes would stick to the rules and reject those blocks.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
YabaDabaDoo

Activity: 68
Merit: 10

View Profile
November 18, 2017, 12:14:13 AM

Nice setup, wish I could do that in my empty Miami condo Wink
GMPoison (OP)

Activity: 434
Merit: 250

View Profile
November 18, 2017, 03:56:29 AM
Last edit: November 18, 2017, 11:40:44 AM by GMPoison

@VentMine - Opportunity cost was of course factored into the decision as I've always believed that the price of bitcoin will never stop climbing, and 10 BTC  - even at current market prices - should be attainable in less than 12 months with my setup which is very very good.

@YabaDabaDoo - Getting the electricity you need for a farm my size in a condo, apartment, or townhouse is not a process you want to go through, lol. If it were a house, you would have no problem, but being connected to other people under the same roof brings with it a whole bunch of expensive and time consuming obstacles.
EDWARD78

Activity: 25
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 18, 2017, 11:01:07 AM

@VentMine - Opportunity cost was of course factored into the decision as I've always believed that the price of bitcoin will never stop climbing, and 10 BTC at current market price should be attainable in less than 12 months with my setup which is very very good.

@YabaDabaDoo - Getting the electricity you need for a farm my size in a condo, apartment, or townhouse is not a process you want to go through, lol. If it were a house, you would have no problem, but being connected to other people under the same roof brings with it a whole bunch of expensive and time consuming obstacles.

Great job with your setup! Quick question. How noisy are the 19? Is it all so loud that it’d be distracting to neighbors?
GMPoison (OP)

View Profile
November 18, 2017, 11:29:48 AM

@VentMine - Opportunity cost was of course factored into the decision as I've always believed that the price of bitcoin will never stop climbing, and 10 BTC at current market price should be attainable in less than 12 months with my setup which is very very good.

Great job with your setup! Quick question. How noisy are the 19? Is it all so loud that it’d be distracting to neighbors?

Surprisingly not. When you're inside the room of course it sounds like a very loud server room, but outside the window unless you're directly in front of it it's surprisingly quiet.

Inside the house is another story. I have a professional heavy duty sound dampening blanket hung over the door which blocks a lot of the noise from the rest of the house, but even with that throughout the entire house you can hear the low pitched hum of the fans.
BitcoinIntern

Activity: 210
Merit: 100

View Profile
November 18, 2017, 04:16:22 PM

Have you installed any kind of surge or spike protection? What’s your take on that? Thanks
DDank

Activity: 8

View Profile
November 19, 2017, 04:25:14 AM

Very awesome and impressive set up your have there sir! Really inspiring hearing you're from Florida as well  Cool

I have been thinking about putting something together for a while now. After seeing yours I'm more determined than ever.

So you definitely recommend going with the L3+ to mine Lite instead of the S9 to mine BTC correct?

This would back up my other buddy which is in the industry recommend against mining bitcoin because its way too crowded.

Anyways best of luck my fellow Floridian. Cheers!
spiftheninja

Activity: 36

View Profile
November 19, 2017, 05:49:04 AM

Wow, this is a really nice setup. I like how you managed the airflow like that. Mad props!
CMvet1

Activity: 19

View Profile
November 19, 2017, 09:13:43 AM

I remember back in the summer of '13, I had 11 GPUs mining LTC, and with the difficulty holding right around 1,000 , I was collecting about 10 LTC per week for a few months.

I remember those days fondly '13/'14.  I only had 5 GPU's and a couple Zues/GAW 55nm asics.  It was decently profitable in the winter time, not so much in the summer time.  The damn garage would get so hot even with multiple exhaust fans.  Ambient temps here in so cal in the summer make garage setups tough.  When I bbq'd 2 PSU's in 1 week, I had to rethink things a bit
DDank

View Profile
November 19, 2017, 04:29:32 PM

Taking a look at the Bitmain power supply, the next batch only has 10 PCIe connectors so you can only run 1 L3+ on each one which is disappointing. Does this make it half as efficient? I was really hoping to plug up 2 L3s per power supply unit, like you have setup.

any recommendations on other possible power supplies ?

or just get one APW3++ for each unit?.. wouldn't this waste more energy ? 

goldelectra

Activity: 4

View Profile
November 19, 2017, 05:37:49 PM

Super nice setup .

What sort of temps do you get in the room?
CMvet1

View Profile
November 19, 2017, 07:34:14 PM
Last edit: November 19, 2017, 07:48:14 PM by CMvet1

Taking a look at the Bitmain power supply, the next batch only has 10 PCIe connectors so you can only run 1 L3+ on each one which is disappointing. Does this make it half as efficient? I was really hoping to plug up 2 L3s per power supply unit, like you have setup.

any recommendations on other possible power supplies ?

or just get one APW3++ for each unit?.. wouldn't this waste more energy ?  

The power supplies are mainly just supplying the power required by the miner, they are using little for their own operation.  So a Power supply for each L3+ would only increase your power usage minimally at the wall.  Plus it makes sure you are not going to over tax the power supply so much that you have a higher chance of running into catastrophic failure.
DDank

View Profile
November 19, 2017, 09:23:24 PM

The power supplies are mainly just supplying the power required by the miner, they are using little for their own operation.  So a Power supply for each L3+ would only increase your power usage minimally at the wall.  Plus it makes sure you are not going to over tax the power supply so much that you have a higher chance of running into catastrophic failure.

Thanks for clearing that up for me. That was my original thought.  Makes sense.
CMvet1

View Profile
November 20, 2017, 12:46:13 AM

After months of planning, stressing, and budgeting my mining operation is finally up and running! The electrician just installed three 30 amp 240v circuits/outlets, and I'm using heavy duty tripp lite pdu's to distribute power to all 19 miners. My makeshift hot/cold isle is working nicely and keeping temps in a very acceptable range. I'm using insulated tarp to keep the hot exhaust air separate from the cooler intake air so the exhaust can be vented out of the window, and I'm using a 14,000 BTU AC to assist in the cooling process. Let me know what you guys think or if you have any questions.

Since I still have plenty of electrical overhead and the miners are running at good temps and in a well managed condition, I may offer hosting to a couple of people for a couple machines at a very competitive rate and see how it goes, then offer a more legitimate hosting solution when I scale up in the future.

OP, Nice setup.

I'm thinking of getting a small farm going myself if I can get a server space reasonable enough ( would already have fire suppression built in and adequate power setup) and business rates on the power here in southern Cali.  Would be curious to know what your first months power bill was at your rate, how long you plan to run the miners before selling the equipment in the secondary market to replace with newer units.
falsealarm_bf1

Activity: 124
Merit: 3

View Profile
November 20, 2017, 02:34:34 AM

You mentioned three 30 amp 240v circuits. Is that the most you could get installed in your basement? How many L3+s maximum can you run? How much did the electrician charge you for that installation?

HORIZEN ►►► Bringing Privacy To Life | https://horizen.global/
kitsunesanx

Activity: 1

View Profile
November 20, 2017, 03:14:31 AM

i wonder how much does that total cost your wallet? mind sharing where to order that in bulk too? =) Wink
CMvet1

View Profile
November 20, 2017, 04:04:08 AM

Additional question would be how much hands on time do you spend on the farm per day?  I would imagine most could be handled remotely to facilitate off site hosting in a small office space setup as a server room for example.  Just curious how much hands on work you do daily.
GMPoison (OP)

View Profile
November 20, 2017, 03:24:59 PM

@BitcoinIntern - Each miner is hooked up to a PDU which should provide enough protection.
@Crypto-Age - I was lucky enough to purchase them directly from Bitmain when they released that surprise batch late at night for $1650 a few months ago.
@DDank - Yes, if I could go back and do it again I would still rather purchase the L3+ over the S9. As far as power supplies go, you can find server power supplies that cost the same and do the same thing, but Bitmains are good.
@bizalaz - It's all logistics. The real work is the months of preparation, but after that it's fairly low maintenance.
@CMvet1 - I pay about $0.10/kWh so you can do the math, it's a funny sight to see your electricity bill be the same as your rent! As far as maintenance, there's not much to do day to day, it's all in the setup.
@falsealarm_bf1 - It's not in my basement, I live in Florida and there aren't many homes with basements in Florida. The entire electric install including labor was $3800.

mrayazgul

Activity: 560
Merit: 500

View Profile
November 26, 2017, 03:56:39 AM

I am worried about the electricity you are going to pay. Anyways i am shocked by watching these 19 ant miners. Can you tell us more detail like you how fast they're and your monthly income with these ant miner? I  also looking to develop some ant-miner and start working like you but maybe it cost a lot how much paid for this setup ?
DevelopmentBank

Activity: 406
Merit: 110

View Profile
November 26, 2017, 01:33:51 PM

Good job sir! Posts like these never fail to inspire. I too am on my way to building more GPU and ASIC rigs. Hopefully one day I get to that point as well.
Did you buy these ASICs all at the same time or did you slowly accumulate until you arrived at what you have today?

Key question - how long to ROI, i.e. have it pay for itself and be into profit? I would worry that the difficulty would go up and you might never make a profit.

I wouldn't worry too much about difficulty, bitcoin value is also slowly going up. Unless bitmain comes out with a new ASIC (s11 maybe?) then we should be fine. An s11 is pretty far off i'd say. 6 months ROI on these antminers are not bad.
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: