Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 04:49:59 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: yellowpages  (Read 8673 times)
mizerydearia (OP)

Activity: 574
Merit: 507

View Profile
July 21, 2010, 08:22:55 AM

<necrodearia> I think a Bitcoin yellow pages should be established, perhaps as a wiki page?
<Xunie> A "web of trust"?
<Xunie> Yeah.
<necrodearia> Mm, maybe not a wiki page
<Xunie> Then what?
<necrodearia> Perhaps a server side app should be established allowing organizations, businesses, entities, individuals, whatever to submit their information and after being processed it will be listed in a yellowpage-liek database.
<necrodearia> Processing could be automatic or manual
<Xunie> Go ask sirius, he's the server man.
<necrodearia> And perhaps integrating with that database could be comments/feedback and ratings so that the businesses can be rated
<lfm> necrodearia seems like you have dispensed with one central authority for a new one
<necrodearia> hmm
<Xunie> lfm, well no.
<necrodearia> lfm: good point
<Xunie> Actually, no.
<Xunie> It's just a list of honest traders, not a central authority!
<necrodearia> Actually, it's a database of traders, businesses, etc to keep it all organized, togehter, searchable, etc.
<Xunie> Just like the Ebay system, you can give someone "thumbs up" or "thumbs down".
<necrodearia> Reading a forum thread with a huge list can be daunting
<necrodearia> And with user/customer review, they can be ranked accordingly
<necrodearia> however
<necrodearia> the data is still in a central authoritative location
<necrodearia> Perhaps a p2p app can be designed to let the data exist without central authority ^_^
<lfm> who to trust can be more of a social problem than a technical one
<necrodearia> Although, central authority isn't such a bad thing really
<necrodearia> considering for example, yellowpages.com or infospace.com or yp.yahoo.com
<necrodearia> all central authorities with the information
<necrodearia> So, my idea should still be reasonable
<necrodearia> And I recommend several bitcoin-specific yellowpage-liek resources to be available.
<lfm> and it should be ok so long as you allow for other trusted lists
<lfm> so people dont get thrown out for social/politic or other unrelated reasons they still have a chance to maintain their trust on other lists maybe

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Anonymous

July 21, 2010, 08:55:31 AM

I was about to set up an elgg site that is invite only so that people can invite only those they trust to the network.It will have file sharing,private groups,blogs and activity streams like twitter.If anyone wants to help with this project pm me.I know it is a central system however it will be available to anyone who asks.It might do in the meantime untill something better comes along. Smiley
mizerydearia (OP)

Activity: 574
Merit: 507

View Profile
July 21, 2010, 09:41:40 AM

I think a site dedicated to publishing business info for those that do business with bitcoins and offering features such as business ratings, reviews/comments/feedback is better than a full blown social networking type of site.  Single Serving Sites seem more useful.  Besides, Diaspora is near!
melvster

Activity: 350
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 21, 2010, 10:12:20 AM

I was about to set up an elgg site that is invite only so that people can invite only those they trust to the network.It will have file sharing,private groups,blogs and activity streams like twitter.If anyone wants to help with this project pm me.I know it is a central system however it will be available to anyone who asks.It might do in the meantime untill something better comes along. Smiley

It's sometimes a challenge to seed an elgg community from scratch...

You're welcome to set up a group, at our open source elgg news exchange:

http://news-guru.com/

I'm hoping to do some cool bitcoin integration too when we have some development bandwidth.
melvster

View Profile
July 21, 2010, 10:13:04 AM

I think a site dedicated to publishing business info for those that do business with bitcoins and offering features such as business ratings, reviews/comments/feedback is better than a full blown social networking type of site.  Single Serving Sites seem more useful.  Besides, Diaspora is near!

Diaspora is a loooooong way off ... Smiley
Anonymous

July 21, 2010, 11:11:20 AM

I think a site dedicated to publishing business info for those that do business with bitcoins and offering features such as business ratings, reviews/comments/feedback is better than a full blown social networking type of site.  Single Serving Sites seem more useful.  Besides, Diaspora is near!

Is there a script people recommend I can install that does this?

Maybe this -http://www.phpmydirectory.com/features.html

melvster

View Profile
July 21, 2010, 12:17:05 PM

I think a site dedicated to publishing business info for those that do business with bitcoins and offering features such as business ratings, reviews/comments/feedback is better than a full blown social networking type of site.  Single Serving Sites seem more useful.  Besides, Diaspora is near!

Is there a script people recommend I can install that does this?

Maybe this -http://www.phpmydirectory.com/features.html

Looks very cool!  Reminds me a bit of this: http://openiddirectory.com/
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: