Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 03:22:32 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Pool payment system immune to any kind of hopping? And clarity on ethics.  (Read 465 times)
ca1987 (OP)

Activity: 39
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 19, 2017, 02:22:59 AM

Or what pool is immune? I mean even to things like block sniping or variable hashrate?

And what is your opinion on the ethics? I'm thinking about doing it in some form to maximize what I can earn, but I don't want to do something that's wrong.

I guess I'm stuck between 1) the systems were made to stop pool hopping of proportional pools and if they still have flaws that allow people to make more from the system than consistent miners, maybe in the spirit of things they shouldn't be exploited.

But then again, 2) it's just another small disadvantage to a system (like pool fees) that we all agree to use for the main advantage (consistent payments).

And when other people jump in on a block to me, well it's unfortunate but I've never felt it was wrong of them to do. That's just the way the system is.

It's also just rewarding people more who are working smarter or harder and a little less if you want to run a constant rate all the time at your pool. But then again that's not meant to be a possibility, so in the spirit of things... could it be wrong?

Another thing is, several pools have $1M-5M USD a day going through right now. Even if I push a lot of power through, if I make an extra couple thousand bucks a day, no one's really going to notice my extra earnings. But they are *extra* earnings and passive miners will lose a fraction of a percent of their income to that on top of pool fees. But is it my right to use the system any way I see fit, so long as it's not actually cheating and stealing like manipulating the server through some malicious process/injection? (Which is not what I'm trying to do at all.. would never do something explicitly wrong).

Another thing is, if I want to test some of these more advanced pool hopping techniques or I want to do some block sniping, no one's going to care if I make an extra $5 on a block worth $120k, but principally I'm still making more so is it even wrong to test these things, or again is it just part of the system?

I've been in a moral quandary for a few days now. I've read a lot of people's thoughts on the original pool hopping scheme of jumping between many pools after 43.5% and a lot seem to hate it and are very emotional and a lot of people say it's just their right to make the most of their investment and they're putting in the extra work to do it; that it should be expected and if you don't like it you need to go to a pool with a payout scheme that makes inconsistent mining for greater returns less viable to protect your interests.

Thanks for all your input.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Activity + Trust + Earned Merit == The Most Recognized Users on Bitcointalk
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
kano
Legendary

Activity: 4466
Merit: 1800

Linux since 1997 RedHat 4

View Profile
November 19, 2017, 10:44:58 PM

Relieve your quandary by realising that:

1) Sniping - not possible

2) PPS - no way to hop

3) PPLNS can ONLY be hopped on diff changes, once every 2 weeks - but then you need to hop away to somewhere that will pay you better across the diff change ... basically it ends up being next to nothing, very rare and probably not a gain Tongue

Pool: https://kano.is - low 0.5% fee PPLNS 3 Days - Most reliable Solo with ONLY 0.5% fee   Bitcointalk thread: Forum
Discord support invite at https://kano.is/ Majority developer of the ckpool code - k for kano
The ONLY active original developer of cgminer. Original master git: https://github.com/kanoi/cgminer
ca1987 (OP)

Activity: 39
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 20, 2017, 12:56:17 AM

I found a way, though, to get like 20-30% more out of a couple payment systems that are in use at the large pools. It's just not traditional hopping methods.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: