Bitcoin Forum
April 23, 2024, 10:53:20 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: free wallet ?  (Read 528 times)
aliitp (OP)

Activity: 91
Merit: 1

View Profile
November 05, 2017, 07:53:00 PM

I had terrible experience with a major scam bitcoin site which i think most people know so i kinda lost confidence in the BTC trade, but TBH the incentives seems high nowadays and promising that am considering even mining with my own hardware, anyways, i need to know are there any trusted free wallets where i can store my BTC ? and can i for example have my OWN wallet instead of relying on third parties to keep my BTC ?...

Also what is the most reliable and trusted BTC trading website ? and is is advised to use that service as your main wallet or should i store my BTC somewhere more secure ?..

thanks,

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
I HATE TABLES I HATE TABLES I HA(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ TABLES I HATE TABLES I HATE TABLES
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
AdolfinWolf
Legendary

Activity: 1946
Merit: 1427

View Profile
November 05, 2017, 08:55:37 PM

I had terrible experience with a major scam bitcoin site which i think most people know so i kinda lost confidence in the BTC trade, but TBH the incentives seems high nowadays and promising that am considering even mining with my own hardware, anyways, i need to know are there any trusted free wallets where i can store my BTC ? and can i for example have my OWN wallet instead of relying on third parties to keep my BTC ?...

Also what is the most reliable and trusted BTC trading website ? and is is advised to use that service as your main wallet or should i store my BTC somewhere more secure ?..

thanks,

Yes. Use any of the wallets listed here, http://bitcoin.org/wallets, I personally really enjoy and like electrum, https://electrum.org/#home

As far as exchanges are concerned, the most safe ones are both http://bitfinex.com and http://coinbase.com

And no, i wouldn't advise using them as your main wallet due to you not having control over your private keys.

( unless you are going to use them to collect dust, so that you don't need to pay a heckton of fees. )

HabBear

Activity: 1106
Merit: 637

View Profile WWW
November 05, 2017, 09:00:22 PM

Kraken and Freebitco.in are free exchanges.

Trezor only costs to buy the device (same with Ledger i believe).

Most wallets are free...transaction fees are dictated by the miner population.
Bitcoinsummoner

Activity: 1316
Merit: 622

Maintain Social Distance, Stay safe.

View Profile WWW
November 05, 2017, 09:23:12 PM

I think all bitcoin wallet are free to use.. but the security level is different..
Well in my own experience i recommend electrum wallet than the other wallet because you have fully control about your bitcoin and you can do sign message you can use the segwit support wallet (bech32) for cheaper fee and faster transaction..
But make sure you are using compatible OS because electrum 3.0 is not working in windows 7 32 bit and  windows 8.1

.BIG WINNER!.
[15.00000000 BTC]

▄████████████████████▄
██████████████████████
██████████▀▀██████████
█████████░░░░█████████
██████████▄▄██████████
███████▀▀████▀▀███████
██████░░░░██░░░░██████
███████▄▄████▄▄███████
████▀▀████▀▀████▀▀████
███░░░░██░░░░██░░░░███
████▄▄████▄▄████▄▄████
██████████████████████

▀████████████████████▀
▄████████████████████▄
██████████████████████
█████▀▀█▀▀▀▀▀▀██▀▀████
█████░░░░░░░░░░░░░████
█████░░░░░░░░░░░░▄████
█████░░▄███▄░░░░██████
█████▄▄███▀░░░░▄██████
█████████░░░░░░███████
████████░░░░░░░███████
███████░░░░░░░░███████
███████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄███████

██████████████████████
▀████████████████████▀
▄████████████████████▄
███████████████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
███████████▀▀▄▄█░░░░░█
█████████▀░░█████░░░░█
███████▀░░░░░████▀░░░▀
██████░░░░░░░░▀▄▄█████
█████░▄░░░░░▄██████▀▀█
████░████▄░███████░░░░
███░█████░█████████░░█
███░░░▀█░██████████░░█
███░░░░░░████▀▀██▀░░░░
███░░░░░░███░░░░░░░░░░

██░▄▄▄▄░████▄▄██▄░░░░
████████████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██
█████████████░█▀▀▀█░███
██████████▀▀░█▀░░░▀█░▀▀
███████▀░▄▄█░█░░░░░█░█▄
████▀░▄▄████░▀█░░░█▀░██
███░▄████▀▀░▄░▀█░█▀░▄░▀
█▀░███▀▀▀░░███░▀█▀░███░
▀░███▀░░░░░████▄░▄████░
░███▀░░░░░░░█████████░░
░███░░░░░░░░░███████░░░
███▀░██░░░░░░▀░▄▄▄░▀░░░
███░██████▄▄░▄█████▄░▄▄

██░████████░███████░█
▄████████████████████▄
████████▀▀░░░▀▀███████
███▀▀░░░░░▄▄▄░░░░▀▀▀██
██░▀▀▄▄░░░▀▀▀░░░▄▄▀▀██
██░▄▄░░▀▀▄▄░▄▄▀▀░░░░██
██░▀▀░░░░░░█░░░░░██░██
██░░░▄▄░░░░█░██░░░░░██
██░░░▀▀░░░░█░░░░░░░░██
██░░░░░▄▄░░█░░░░░██░██
██▄░░░░▀▀░░█░██░░░░░██
█████▄▄░░░░█░░░░▄▄████
█████████▄▄█▄▄████████

▀████████████████████▀

Rainbot
Daily Quests
Faucet
aliitp (OP)

View Profile
November 06, 2017, 08:24:28 AM

sorry to ask this dumb question but where are my bitcoins saved on my Desktop or Cloud or where ?? because i want the most control over my BTC and never loose them, also is there a way to store my BTC and use them on the go on both my Desktop and Mobile or am i shooting for the stars here ?! Cheesy Cheesy
aliitp (OP)

View Profile
November 06, 2017, 09:47:36 AM

OK TBH electrum sounds like the best option, but what if say the website goes down does that mean ill lose my BTC ?!  Huh

And can i sync my BTC between my electrum windows app and android ?? And does it support windows 8.1 or what ??!...
nier00

Activity: 176
Merit: 100

View Profile
November 06, 2017, 10:09:19 AM

You need to understand how bitcoin works.
Your coins are saved anywhere but your public/private keys (those are used to prove that you own the coins) are in the wallet.dat
You need to encrypt it (via the wallet) and store it somewhere (if you use the bitcoin core wallet).

★ ★ ★ ★ ★   DeepOnion    Anonymous and Untraceable Cryptocurrency    TOR INTEGRATED & SECURED   ★ ★ ★ ★ ★
› › › › ›  JOIN THE NEW AIRDROP ✈️        VERIFIED WITH DEEPVAULT  ‹ ‹ ‹ ‹ ‹
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬   ANN  WHITEPAPER  FACEBOOK  TWITTER  YOUTUBE  FORUM   ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
AdolfinWolf
Legendary

View Profile
November 06, 2017, 03:24:37 PM

OK TBH electrum sounds like the best option, but what if say the website goes down does that mean ill lose my BTC ?!  Huh

And can i sync my BTC between my electrum windows app and android ?? And does it support windows 8.1 or what ??!...

but what if say the website goes down does that mean ill lose my BTC ?!

No. The website doesn't control your bitcoin, you do. Only if your internet goes down, or all the nodes you connect to ( which is extremely unlikely ), you will be unable to access your bitcoins.
And can i sync my BTC between my electrum windows app and android ?

Yes. Simply export the private keys into your android wallet, it should work just fine.

And does it support windows 8.1 or what ??!...
Yes, electrum should work fine on Windows 8.1

BitcoinDiamond

Activity: 28
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 06, 2017, 03:27:57 PM

I lost all my litecoins from about 8 years ago. (had too many) And the website collapsed. Lost all of them so understand where you're coming from.
AdolfinWolf
Legendary

View Profile
November 06, 2017, 03:35:36 PM

I lost all my litecoins from about 8 years ago. (had too many) And the website collapsed. Lost all of them so understand where you're coming from.

That's funny, especially since Litecoin is only 6 years old.  Roll Eyes https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Litecoin `Date of introduction    7 October 2011; 6 years ago`

Also, did the website collapse because you had "too many" coins?  Roll Eyes

Ontop of that,  I don't think that there was a webwallet with litecoin that didn't gave you your seed as backup in case their site would go down.

https://www.litevault.net/ was the first litecoin webwallet i believe

nier00

Activity: 176
Merit: 100

View Profile
November 06, 2017, 03:38:24 PM

but what if say the website goes down does that mean ill lose my BTC ?!

No. The website doesn't control your bitcoin, you do. Only if your internet goes down, or all the nodes you connect to ( which is extremely unlikely ), you will be unable to access your bitcoins.
And can i sync my BTC between my electrum windows app and android ?

Yes. Simply export the private keys into your android wallet, it should work just fine.

And does it support windows 8.1 or what ??!...
Yes, electrum should work fine on Windows 8.1

The "good" thing with electrum is even if you lost the keys you can regenerate them with the passphrase, so don't forget to store it in a safe place.

★ ★ ★ ★ ★   DeepOnion    Anonymous and Untraceable Cryptocurrency    TOR INTEGRATED & SECURED   ★ ★ ★ ★ ★
› › › › ›  JOIN THE NEW AIRDROP ✈️        VERIFIED WITH DEEPVAULT  ‹ ‹ ‹ ‹ ‹
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬   ANN  WHITEPAPER  FACEBOOK  TWITTER  YOUTUBE  FORUM   ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
aardvark15

Activity: 994
Merit: 510

View Profile
November 06, 2017, 04:10:51 PM

thanks,

Don’t use exchanges to store your Bitcoins and altcoins. They can’t be trusted. If you do trading, you can put some cryptocurrencies on those exchanges just while you are trading, but keep the bulk of your portfolio in offline wallets or wallets where you control the private keys.

Exchanges have a tendency to have problems and they can get hacked or just steal your money. That happened to me with Cryptsy. Right now, Bittrex may be the best exchange, but there may be others that are good like Kraken, etc. I haven’t used all of the exchanges. I stopped using Poloniex because of their support problem.
CodyAlfaridzi

Activity: 1708
Merit: 541

View Profile
November 06, 2017, 04:17:45 PM

i need to know are there any trusted free wallets where i can store my BTC ? and can i for example have my OWN wallet instead of relying on third parties to keep my BTC ?...

thanks,

You should use your own wallet to store your Bitcoin. Storing Bitcoin on an exchange is generally a bad idea. Remember, if you don't own the private key of an address containing some Bitcoin, you don't own those Bitcoin. By storing BTC in an exchange, you gave exchanger control over your Bitcoin. Those exchangers might run away, hold and refusing your withdrawal request for some reasons, etc. There have been numerous unfortunate events from exchanger, MtGox hack/insolubility, Bitfinex hacking, and numerous account freezing and a lot more.

You can find recommended wallets list here: https://bitcoin.org/en/choose-your-wallet

I personally would recommend Electrum for your PC wallet and Mycelium for Android/iOS. If you have some money, buy a hardware wallet like Trezor or Ledger instead, especially if you're planning to hold a large amount of Bitcoin.

No, Electrum is not a web wallet service. It is a native computer software. By the way, ownership of Bitcoin is not related to what wallet you are using, instead it is tied to address(public key) and private key. As long as you store your Bitcoin in an address and you keep that address private key safe, your BTC should also be safe.

Electrum doesn't have Android apps yet AFAIK. But you can import your address private key into more than wallet, i.e into your Electrum in computer and Mycelium on Android. Both wallet will synchronize automatically as long as you're connected to internet.
babay_ko

Activity: 98
Merit: 10

View Profile
November 06, 2017, 07:31:48 PM

What wallet is the best ?

hheight

Activity: 392
Merit: 102

View Profile
November 06, 2017, 07:50:34 PM

What wallet is the best ?
I prefer Electrum https://electrum.org/#home. It's fast and simple.
xBitHodler

Activity: 112
Merit: 10

View Profile
November 06, 2017, 09:34:58 PM

If your balance is 1 btc or higher, I think you should use Electrum at least. Don't keep it on exchanges.

You should use Electrum even if you don't have 1 BTC. 0,01 BTC could be worth a fortune in the near future. Electrum is much safer than web wallets because you are in control of your private keys. The latest update of Electrum has introduced SegWit support. I would recommend you to use this type of address if you decide to use Electrum.
Bitcoin_Africa

Activity: 11
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
November 06, 2017, 10:22:52 PM

I also use Electrum as it offers more control and is working on Linux (thats what i need).
No issues noticed so far.
aliitp (OP)

View Profile
November 10, 2017, 09:33:49 PM

guys the andoid app is buggy as hell !!

cant import private key and cant even enter the phrase and click next, something si wrong with the android app ! windows app seems fine so far...
aliitp (OP)

View Profile
November 10, 2017, 09:37:51 PM

after a second thought, electrum seems like the shittiest wallet even for windows, buggy and crashes + it got 3.2 rating on google store, not sure how many people manage to work with it !...
AdolfinWolf
Legendary

View Profile
November 10, 2017, 10:44:49 PM

after a second thought, electrum seems like the shittiest wallet even for windows, buggy and crashes + it got 3.2 rating on google store, not sure how many people manage to work with it !...

I've never had any problems with it. It never crashed on me, i only use it for windows though.

Do you have a high end system or? I doubt something like Bitcoin-Core is going to run better then electrum, if you're not even able to run that properly..

Try maybe running an older version to see if that works better.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: