Bitcoin Forum
May 21, 2024, 03:16:58 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Where are you all holding your Bitcoin for the fork?  (Read 1262 times)
Pursuer
Legendary

Activity: 1638
Merit: 1163

Where is my ring of blades...

View Profile
November 06, 2017, 09:37:23 AM

the funds I have for trading, or practically my hot wallet is going to be on an exchange of my choice which I have not yet decided which one. but I will keep it there so that I can receive the coins fastest way possible then sell before the drop begins. I might buy back what I sell though. I will wait a little to see how the market is reacting and wait for a bottom to buy back and keep the difference as profit.

the rest I will keep in my cold storage for safe keeping and will split my coins after some time has passed and as soon as I find a secure way of doing so. I have to consider risks, the replay protection and the safety of what I am going to download.

Only Bitcoin
Microtalk

Activity: 10
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 06, 2017, 09:45:36 AM

Im keeping mine in a wallet like coinph or xapo.I tried storring it in exchanger but loss funds.
I keep my bitcoins in myetherwallet and blockchain witch i think are the best wallets and the most Trustfull because a lot of people use them and have no problems with them. So i think you should try to use these 2.
Juggy777

Activity: 2646
Merit: 686

View Profile
November 06, 2017, 09:52:38 AM

I had been moving mine to a wallet for the fork. But then I'd have to deal with how wallets are going to recognize the forked coins and have to worry about figuring out how to split the coins and whatnot. Saw Coinbase said they are planning to have the B2X coins available 24 hours after the fork, so now I'm just holding all my coins on Coinbase for the fork as that just seems like the easiest solution. Once the dust has settled and the danger has passed and we know which chain is the main chain I'll sell the minority chain and throw all my Bitcoin in a paper wallet.

How about you guys? Coinbase? Exchanges? Wallet?

I am doing the same thing I had done before this year first fork move my coins away from coinbase.com, I was recently tempted to go back but I am very glad I didn't they closed my account it's really strange. I am keeping my coins locked in the electrum and I am not going to claim the btc2x until they have replay protection. I would advise all to move to electrum and be safe cause post this another fork is coming in December.
sirmitchel

Activity: 164
Merit: 100

View Profile
November 06, 2017, 10:02:53 AM

I am holding my bitcoin not because of fork but because I want to gain profit for long term investment. The fork did make the value of my bitcoin increase and I hope after the fork I can buy bitcoin again when the price will go down.

░░░░░░▒▒▒▒▓▓█      ZUFLO .io   ▌ EXCHANGE AND FINANCE      █▓▓▒▒▒▒░░░░░░
INTEGRATED TRADING & FINANCE PLATFORM ON BLOCKCHAIN
WP   |   Telegram   Twitter   [[  Pre ICO is LIVE  ]]   Instagram   Facebook   |   ANN
doreraj

Activity: 173
Merit: 1

View Profile WWW
November 06, 2017, 10:07:33 AM

As for me prefer core, but previous segvit  one order closed just before segvit so it was got to find bcc as well))

MINTER - WE MINT COINS AND CREATE THE INTERNET OF MONEY
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
https://www.minter.networ
loragean03

Activity: 403

View Profile
November 06, 2017, 10:19:50 AM

I had been moving mine to a wallet for the fork. But then I'd have to deal with how wallets are going to recognize the forked coins and have to worry about figuring out how to split the coins and whatnot. Saw Coinbase said they are planning to have the B2X coins available 24 hours after the fork, so now I'm just holding all my coins on Coinbase for the fork as that just seems like the easiest solution. Once the dust has settled and the danger has passed and we know which chain is the main chain I'll sell the minority chain and throw all my Bitcoin in a paper wallet.

How about you guys? Coinbase? Exchanges? Wallet?

for me, all of my bitcoin from all of my different bitcoin wallets are been move into my offline wallet which is electrum wallet, I want to store on that wallet because it has a cold storage features in there to be safe during the fork, It works perfectly and have a good experience on that wallet which I already used it on that recent hard fork (BCH) because I don't have any trust on that any web wallet. you don't have a full control on that wallet if you have that one.
FrueGreads
Legendary

Activity: 1582
Merit: 1059

View Profile
November 06, 2017, 10:24:31 AM

This whole situation worries me a bit as well. I usually hold my coins on a wallet, because it's safer, than leaving them on a exchange, where you normally don't have control over your private keys. But because of the lack of replay protection on this fork, I just don't know what to do. I know exchanges and wallets are going to implement their own replay protection, so it should be ok to leave the coins on a exchange that does that. Right now it could even be safer to hold them there, if your wallet is not implementing their own replay protection.

I'm using Electrum right now, and I need to do some research, to see if they will do the same. If they don't take any measures, and since I don't really want to lose any of the coins (BTC to hold, and B2x to dump), I guess I wont be moving any of my coins around, until all the dust settles.

░░░░░░░▄▄▄▄▄▄
░░░░▄██████████▄
░░░██████████████
░░██████▐▌██████
█████░░░░░░░▀█████
██████▄▄░░▄▄░░██████
████████░░▀▀▄██████
████████░░▄▄▄░░█████
██████▀▀░░▀▀▀░░█████
█████░░░░░░░░█████
░░██████▐▌██████
░░░██████████████
░░░░▀██████████▀
░░░░░░░▀▀▀▀▀▀
░░░

BitCloak Bitcoin Mixer  
  BTC & BCH | API| MULTIADDRESS| PGP PROOF|  FAST MIX |  ESCROW|  MORE ! 

░░░░░░░▄▄▄▄▄▄
░░░░▄██████████▄
░░░██████████████
░░██████▐▌██████
█████░░░░░░░▀█████
██████▄▄░░▄▄░░██████
████████░░▀▀▄██████
████████░░▄▄▄░░█████
██████▀▀░░▀▀▀░░█████
█████░░░░░░░░█████
░░██████▐▌██████
░░░██████████████
░░░░▀██████████▀
░░░░░░░▀▀▀▀▀▀
░░░

aizen10

Activity: 546

View Profile
November 06, 2017, 10:57:07 AM

for me, i preferred to use offline wallet like electrum, because i already use this wallet before and at the time that BCH hard fork comes, all of my bitcoin are stored on that wallet ive mentioned and all my bitcoin are fine. im not telling you that coinbase is not safe to store bitcoin during the fork, since you have a good experience on that wallet before, you can use that, theres no problem on that bitcoin wallet, but i recommend you to use this electrum wallet as well for more secure.
treather

Activity: 266
Merit: 102

View Profile
November 06, 2017, 11:00:02 AM

In my wallet, where else? Ever since the first fork, my instincts is to hold them myself rather than use an exchange. I have always felt fear keeping my coins in an exchange because you never know when they will go rogue.

thecodebear (OP)

Activity: 2114
Merit: 814

View Profile
November 06, 2017, 01:57:53 PM

This whole situation worries me a bit as well. I usually hold my coins on a wallet, because it's safer, than leaving them on a exchange, where you normally don't have control over your private keys. But because of the lack of replay protection on this fork, I just don't know what to do. I know exchanges and wallets are going to implement their own replay protection, so it should be ok to leave the coins on a exchange that does that. Right now it could even be safer to hold them there, if your wallet is not implementing their own replay protection.

I'm using Electrum right now, and I need to do some research, to see if they will do the same. If they don't take any measures, and since I don't really want to lose any of the coins (BTC to hold, and B2x to dump), I guess I wont be moving any of my coins around, until all the dust settles.

Yeah I had been moving my coins to electrum for the forks, though the Bitcoin Gold fork happened two days earlier than they said it was going to so I ended up not doing it soon enough for that fork. But then I was looking up how to get B2X coins from electrum and I couldn't find electrum saying they would do it and i found some long process on the internet for splitting your own coins and it just seemed like such a hassle when coinbase said they will do it for you within a day after the fork. So I'm just gonna store my coins there until they are safe to move. Then I'll sell B2X for more BTC and move BTC to electrum or cold storage.
gurunanakji777

Activity: 2100

Chainjoes.com

View Profile
November 06, 2017, 04:07:04 PM

I am holding my bitcoin in yobit and bittrex. Last time when fork happened there were rumors save your bitcoin in offline wallet otherwise you may loose your btc but still I kept my btc in yobit that time and I got Bch. Even this time also I don't think any risk to loose my bitcoin. I trust both bittrex & yobit and will continue to keep in both.

sandos

Activity: 440
Merit: 250

#SWGT CERTIK Audited

View Profile
November 06, 2017, 05:21:15 PM

Bitcoin Silver hard fork is different Bitcoin Gold hard fork. We will not receive Bitcoin Silver free. Therefore, to ensure safety, I will put my bitcoin in an offline wallet.

xBitHodler

Activity: 112
Merit: 10

View Profile
November 06, 2017, 06:10:49 PM

I consider Bitcoin SegWit2x hard fork as a well prepared air drop of "free money". Some of the NYA participants have already started to withdraw from it. About 80% of hashpower is signaling support for SegWit2x but it doesn't mean that they are going to follow this hard fork. I wouldn't be surprised if SegWit2x were worth 50% of BTC price.
thecodebear (OP)

Activity: 2114
Merit: 814

View Profile
November 06, 2017, 07:17:01 PM

I consider Bitcoin SegWit2x hard fork as a well prepared air drop of "free money". Some of the NYA participants have already started to withdraw from it. About 80% of hashpower is signaling support for SegWit2x but it doesn't mean that they are going to follow this hard fork. I wouldn't be surprised if SegWit2x were worth 50% of BTC price.

If that ended up being true I'd be pumped, though if it were that high it would mean it stole a bunch of market share from bitcoin so that would not be good! I'm hoping to just sell B2X at 0.1 BTC, that way it won't have taken much from BTC market and I'd be very happy selling it for that much.

Fen1X

Activity: 81
Merit: 10

View Profile
November 06, 2017, 07:23:59 PM

I holding most in my ledger nano s.
I believe it is best to hold them in a wallet where you have control over the private key.
bitart

Activity: 1442
Merit: 629

Vires in Numeris

View Profile
November 06, 2017, 10:20:40 PM

As long as you don't need your coins at the time of the fork (or early after it) hardware wallets are fine. If you don't want to sell the forked coins immediately then offline storage is OK.
I'm still thinking about using an exchange, not because of I want to sell the forked coins but thinking about buying some alts because they're really cheap now compared to summer. This is only possible when you have your coins on an exchange. Just be sure to select an exchange that works under pressure too...
iluvpie60

Activity: 700
Merit: 500

View Profile
November 07, 2017, 03:06:13 AM

I'll be storing mine in a wallet just to be safe. I used to store on exchanges but I feel it gets riskier and riskier everyday.

It does get risky. I have had that coinpw website take some of my coins when they shut down. I can't remember if they were called coinpw, I think that is what it was. Also MTGOX + BTC-E got hold of some of the coins I used to have there and I had to take a hit withdrawing the ETH I had there because the government seized a bunch of people's coins.

That can't happen if you have your own coins on your own wallet and own the private keys.
youdacapt

Activity: 1806
Merit: 295

View Profile WWW
November 07, 2017, 03:48:53 AM

I'll be storing mine in a wallet just to be safe. I used to store on exchanges but I feel it gets riskier and riskier everyday.

It does get risky. I have had that coinpw website take some of my coins when they shut down. I can't remember if they were called coinpw, I think that is what it was. Also MTGOX + BTC-E got hold of some of the coins I used to have there and I had to take a hit withdrawing the ETH I had there because the government seized a bunch of people's coins.

That can't happen if you have your own coins on your own wallet and own the private keys.

Every hardfork and even all the markets do not seem to panic and are very confident doing promotional split coins, so I assume they are safe to use, if you do not want to face the risk, then blockchain remains the best choice because no negative statements ever happened. They even plan to install bitcoingold wallet for users.
iluvpie60

Activity: 700
Merit: 500

View Profile
November 08, 2017, 12:53:36 AM

Every hardfork and even all the markets do not seem to panic and are very confident doing promotional split coins, so I assume they are safe to use, if you do not want to face the risk, then blockchain remains the best choice because no negative statements ever happened. They even plan to install bitcoingold wallet for users.

It is pretty easy to split the coins yourself though and you have no risk.

I have done it myself for my bitcoin split into bitcoin cash. I found a guide and read through it, watched a video and saw how it was done.

Having anything on an exchange you are risking losing your coins. Almost every exchange out there has lost funds due to government seizing coins or been hacked in some way. Take this from someone who had BTC-E coins lost due to govt taking them away and BTC-E gave us tokens to reimburse us. Those tokens right now are only worth 50% of what I actually had. MTGOX lost everything. Bitfinex was hacked awhile back and had to do the same thing BTC-E is doing with giving out tokens. Coinexpw is gone. Many others have had issues too.

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=265277.msg5769484#msg5769484
wilwxk

Activity: 476
Merit: 314

View Profile
November 08, 2017, 01:29:58 AM

My bitcoi s was always in secure paper wallets which I can see my private keys. If you are in doubt of what you should do to get you post-fork coins i reccomend for you to store at any wallet which you can control your private keys and withdraw then of all exchanges or hot wallets.
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: