Bitcoin Forum
April 28, 2024, 09:33:10 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Where's the new forum Theymos?  (Read 24338 times)
rudrigorc2
Legendary

Activity: 1064
Merit: 1000

View Profile
June 17, 2013, 11:44:48 AM

Why don't you use that CIYAMOpen site from the guy here (Ian Knowles) to have task based bounties Theymos? You could easily add any small features and fix bugs that way. There is plenty of money on the site for it.

There are a lot of big brains in this forum and it would be nice see some cooperation to bring a new forum to the table, especially if that can offer all the crypto kung fu, ratings, top security, and all. Descentralize the tasks, Theymos!

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"You Asked For Change, We Gave You Coins" -- casascius
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
ShroomsKit

Activity: 672
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 17, 2013, 11:48:06 AM

- More money is better than less money. I'm not going to turn down donations when people want to donate. (Though when asked, I often recommend that people not donate.) I'm not going to stop selling ads even though the forum probably has "enough" money. It's not bad for the forum to have extra money. It will be used on something useful at some point. If you don't like this, don't donate.
- More than half of the forum's money is from ads, not donations.
- During the school year, I am a full time student. I barely have time to administrate the forum.
- When I do have time, there are many interesting/important/fun things that compete for my attention. I don't spend all day working on the forum. I've certainly not been working full-time for 12 months on vaporware forum software...

I am still very interested in creating new forum software, and we probably now have enough money to do it. SMF works alright (definitely not perfectly), but there are two main problems with it that require more than just some modifications. Firstly, the coding style is generally insecure. It's very easy to introduce new security flaws, and it's likely that SMF has unknown security flaws. Secondly, modifications to SMF are somewhat difficult, and some types of modifications are so difficult that they will almost certainly never be done here. (Other forum software isn't significantly better, from what I've seen.)

There is unfortunately no magical machine which takes money and creates excellent software or hires a team of competent people. I'm not quite sure how best to turn the money into a good software product. I originally intended to give someone a bunch of money and have them handle the whole thing. I talked with dozens of people interested in doing this, but none of them made me totally confident. A while ago I decided that I will probably never be confident in any one person/company handling the entire project because I've thought about it much longer than they have (2 years), and I have many details about how it should work in my mind. So I probably need to get closer to the development process. My current plan is to write some detailed up-to-date specifications and do some of the high-level architectural work (DB tables, primarily) and then lead a team to do the rest.

I have a little more time now, but the forum software project is a somewhat low priority. I have several high-priority things to fix with the current software. If you want to help, I could use a very security-conscious PHP programmer to help me maintain/improve the current SMF installation.

You'll be a millionaire soon just from donations and ads on a medium sized forum.
Congrats. Don't think i've seen that before.

Its price is not a very relevant factor in its adoption....
🏰 TradeFortress 🏰
Bitcoin Veteran
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1316
Merit: 1043

👻

View Profile
June 17, 2013, 11:58:35 AM

Seeing as how the forum does not seem to be making use of the money, it might be a better idea to send it to /dev/null and make everyone holding Bitcoin richer.
🏰 TradeFortress 🏰
Bitcoin Veteran
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1316
Merit: 1043

👻

View Profile
June 17, 2013, 12:01:27 PM

Might happen by accident, you never know Tongue

Currently, if theymos loses control of his 3k coins for whatever reason, the forum is out of ~half it's funds. Obviously this is a lot better than the situation a few months ago, but ideally the forum should not be holding this much funds in reserve.
Lohoris

Activity: 630

Bitgoblin

View Profile
June 17, 2013, 12:01:54 PM

Seeing as how the forum does not seem to be making use of the money, it might be a better idea to send it to /dev/null and make everyone holding Bitcoin richer.
Technically money "unspent forever" and money destroyed have the same effect on the market.

1LohorisJie8bGGG7X4dCS9MAVsTEbzrhu
DefaultTrust is very BAD.
escrow.ms
Legendary

Activity: 1274
Merit: 1004

View Profile
June 17, 2013, 12:06:36 PM

Well i will advice theymos to use mybb (Free) or xenforo (Paid) and let someone modify it as per your needs and then hire a another team that can do test and check security.

Both these forum softwares are more secure than SMF and highly customizable, most features that you need in new forum software are already inbuilt in them. Later you can import this forums database into that final software on a safe testing server and then after all test and security checks again yourself, and then change this forums software.

and frankly it can be done in some thousands dollars, you don't need millions to do that.
sonicby

Activity: 194
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 17, 2013, 12:08:45 PM

Hmm, so Santa Claus will bring us a gift for the new year?
YES or NO ?
wachtwoord
Legendary

Activity: 2324
Merit: 1125

View Profile
June 17, 2013, 12:09:37 PM

- More money is better than less money. I'm not going to turn down donations when people want to donate. (Though when asked, I often recommend that people not donate.) I'm not going to stop selling ads even though the forum probably has "enough" money. It's not bad for the forum to have extra money. It will be used on something useful at some point. If you don't like this, don't donate.
- More than half of the forum's money is from ads, not donations.

Wasn't there a topic a couple of days back about the add revenue being divided among the mods/admins based on performance metrics?
infested999

Activity: 854

View Profile
June 17, 2013, 12:11:04 PM

Sometimes you wonder how corrupt your government is when they spend millions building simple street or public buildings, and you think "they don't need that much money to do this". Funny how the same thing happened here so quickly.

▄███▄   ▄███▄
              █████   █████
      ▄███▄    ▀▀▀     ▀▀▀    ▄███▄
      █████     ▄██▄ ▄██▄     █████
       ▀▀▀ ▄██▄ ▀██▀ ▀██▀ ▄██▄ ▀▀▀
 ▄███▄     ▀██▀           ▀██▀     ▄███▄
 █████ ▄██▄                   ▄██▄ █████
  ▀▀▀  ▀██▀                   ▀██▀  ▀▀▀
                       ▄█
▄███▄ ▄██▄            ███ ███  ▄██▄ ▄███▄
█████ ▀██▀  ████      █████    ▀██▀ █████
 ▀▀▀         ▀███▄    ████           ▀▀▀
       ▄██▄    ████   ███     ▄██▄
 ▄███▄ ▀██▀     ▀███  ███     ▀██▀ ▄███▄
 █████            ███▄██           █████
  ▀▀▀              ▀████            ▀▀▀
                     ███
                     ███
                     ██
                   ███

████    ██
  ████    ██
    ████    ██
      ████    ██
        ████    ██
          ████    ██
          ████    ██
        ████    ██
      ████    ██
    ████    ██
  ████    ██
████    ██

White Paper
Yellow Paper
Pitch Deck
Telegram
LinkedIn
Twitter
escrow.ms
Legendary

Activity: 1274
Merit: 1004

View Profile
June 17, 2013, 12:16:08 PM

Sometimes you wonder how corrupt your government is when they spend millions building simple street or public buildings, and you think "they don't need that much money to do this". Funny how the same thing happened here so quickly.

Truth is Truth, you seriously don't need that much money to modify a premade opensource software or even to make a new forum software from scratch. However it will take alot time to build and make it 100% secure if you choose to make it from scratch.

wachtwoord
Legendary

Activity: 2324
Merit: 1125

View Profile
June 17, 2013, 01:24:58 PM

You do realize that the forum money was not spent right?

I'm not saying it's wrong, but it kinda is.
maksm

Activity: 21
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 17, 2013, 01:58:05 PM

Well to update to just another forum platform seems quite pointless, since this one serves the purpose of exchanging messages just fine. If something needs to be done it has to be a more radical change. But the problem is in which direction.
Crowdsourcing ideas seems like a modern way of evolution, so an idea and work rewarding modular platform is probably a good candidate. Users could post their own ideas and/or vote/give bounty to them. If the ideas can be planned into milestones, then users achieving those milestones could claim the bounty or at least a portion of it. Maybe smaller tasks that are more achievable would speed up the development of the project. But most importantly, the vox populi would steer the direction of development.
Matthew N. Wright (OP)
Untrustworthy

Activity: 588

Hero VIP ultra official trusted super staff puppet

View Profile
June 17, 2013, 02:06:22 PM

I'm still waiting for a response from Theymos regarding that task based system CIYAMOpen. I looked at thoroughly and it seems to fit into a fair model of development that everyone could agree with. There doesn't seem to be any reason not to trust it, or any reason to not begin development immediately. 12 months is long enough, don't you think?

ShroomsKit

View Profile
June 17, 2013, 02:09:42 PM

I wish they would change the quote system so it behaves like 99% of the other forums out there.
The one they use here is horrible.

Its price is not a very relevant factor in its adoption....
infested999

View Profile
June 17, 2013, 02:21:55 PM

Well to update to just another forum platform seems quite pointless, since this one serves the purpose of exchanging messages just fine. If something needs to be done it has to be a more radical change. But the problem is in which direction.
Crowdsourcing ideas seems like a modern way of evolution, so an idea and work rewarding modular platform is probably a good candidate. Users could post their own ideas and/or vote/give bounty to them. If the ideas can be planned into milestones, then users achieving those milestones could claim the bounty or at least a portion of it. Maybe smaller tasks that are more achievable would speed up the development of the project. But most importantly, the vox populi would steer the direction of development.

The main feature everyone is waiting for is one-click mini-donations to posts. Nobody can say this is a bad idea since it works perfectly for the Bitcoin subreddit.

▄███▄   ▄███▄
              █████   █████
                       ▄█
 ▀▀▀         ▀███▄    ████           ▀▀▀
       ▄██▄    ████   ███     ▄██▄
 ▄███▄ ▀██▀     ▀███  ███     ▀██▀ ▄███▄
 █████            ███▄██           █████
  ▀▀▀              ▀████            ▀▀▀
                     ███
                     ███
                     ██
                   ███

████    ██
  ████    ██
    ████    ██
      ████    ██
        ████    ██
          ████    ██
          ████    ██
        ████    ██
      ████    ██
    ████    ██
  ████    ██
████    ██

White Paper
Yellow Paper
Pitch Deck
Telegram
LinkedIn
Twitter
Boelens

View Profile
June 17, 2013, 02:44:49 PM

I'm still waiting for a response from Theymos regarding that task based system CIYAMOpen. I looked at thoroughly and it seems to fit into a fair model of development that everyone could agree with. There doesn't seem to be any reason not to trust it, or any reason to not begin development immediately. 12 months is long enough, don't you think?

This seems like a great idea to me. Hope Theymos responds.
dexX7
Legendary

Activity: 1106
Merit: 1024

View Profile WWW
June 17, 2013, 02:45:38 PM

I only would need two additional features:

Search for "threads started by user" and no search rate limitation. Smiley

mc_lovin
Legendary

Activity: 1190
Merit: 1000

www.bitcointrading.com

View Profile WWW
June 17, 2013, 02:51:02 PM

Eventually that will be like.. billions of dollars lmao..  maybe instead of a new forum we should build a space ship?
supert

Activity: 160
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 17, 2013, 03:09:48 PM

In my opinion they should plan it out thoroughly and turn this forum into a sustainable business model. They can monetize this forum around micropayments and not have to worry about donations ever again if they take their time. There is no rush either because Bitcoins are only worth $100.

My opinion is Bitcointalk should integrate tipping functionality, it should integrate cryptocurrencies into the forum in such a way that clicking certain links initiates a microtransaction or costs a fee. Honestly they will have to take the code base of Bitcointalk and completely integrate cryptocurrencies into it so micropayments, trading, smart contracts and other functionalities can be built into the forum itself.

The reddit tipbot works very well.
Reddit is open source and scales very well.
infested999

View Profile
June 17, 2013, 03:17:35 PM

In my opinion they should plan it out thoroughly and turn this forum into a sustainable business model. They can monetize this forum around micropayments and not have to worry about donations ever again if they take their time. There is no rush either because Bitcoins are only worth $100.

My opinion is Bitcointalk should integrate tipping functionality, it should integrate cryptocurrencies into the forum in such a way that clicking certain links initiates a microtransaction or costs a fee. Honestly they will have to take the code base of Bitcointalk and completely integrate cryptocurrencies into it so micropayments, trading, smart contracts and other functionalities can be built into the forum itself.

The reddit tipbot works very well.
Reddit is open source and scales very well.

and also implement !bitcointip on IRC #bitcoin

▄███▄   ▄███▄
              █████   █████
                       ▄█