Bitcoin Forum
March 28, 2024, 12:00:33 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Where's the new forum Theymos?  (Read 24338 times)
ShroomsKit

Activity: 672
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 18, 2013, 01:09:12 PM

There is actually another reason for all this money, which theymos has been trying to keep under wraps. As bitcoin is becoming more popular, it is now being targeted by government agencies, like FinCEN, NSA, etc. and more government meddling is expected. There is expectation that main communication hubs, like this forum, will become major targets for governments to take down, in order to try to disrupt bitcoin itself. So the plan is to use this money to move the server into a location that will be impossible for governments to raid and shut down. Specifically, theymos is going to be buying a small drone that will be carrying a lightweight server, and will stay in the air almost 24x7. The large amount of money will mostly be used to pay for a satellite data connection, and refueling costs to keep it aloft.
While this is very funny, there is also good point to it - having funds to negate a legal attack on the forum could be very important in the future.

I don't know how the pirate bay manage their hosting, but they seem to be untouchable. If we need to go down that route at some point it could cost a fair bit, I assume?

Also having funds stashed for a potential legal defense is never a bad idea.

A legal attack on the forum because people talk about Bitcoin? Wth are you smoking?

Its price is not a very relevant factor in its adoption....

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
buyer

Activity: 56
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 18, 2013, 01:33:02 PM

There are a bunch of reasons for a legal attack on the forums.

1. running unregistered securities exchanges involving Americans
2. promoting illegal activities like online gambling to Americans
3. encouraging trading in amounts larger than $10,000 USD without SAR filings w Americans
4. promoting illegal banking activities like trade fortress offerings
5. promoting a possible mail fraud scheme like the one operated by BFL

it seems almost likely that some government agent would subpoena the operators/mods and records and database to determine who the specific players are in these illegal activities.

Matthew N. Wright (OP)
Untrustworthy

Activity: 588

Hero VIP ultra official trusted super staff puppet

View Profile
June 18, 2013, 01:34:33 PM

3. encouraging trading in amounts larger than $10,000 USD without SAR filings w Americans

it seems almost likely that some government agent would subpoena the operators/mods and records and database to determine who the specific players are in these illegal activities.

You forgot to mention:

• Various moderator sponsored/approved libel campaigns against businesses
  • Promotion and facilitating in the transaction of known criminals, scammers and money laundering
  • Having an admin who promotes and allows ponzi schemes, including those of Pirateat40's, as well as being a shareholder in things like GLBSE

Sometimes I second guess myself as being just naive, but jesus christ there is some epic naivety in bitcoin businesses. "They can't touch me because bitcoin!"  Roll Eyes

rme

Activity: 756
Merit: 504

View Profile
June 18, 2013, 01:36:32 PM

You forgot to mention:

• Various moderator sponsored/approved libel campaigns against businesses
  • Promotion and facilitating in the transaction of known criminals, scammers and money laundering
  • Having an admin who promotes and allows ponzi schemes, including those of Pirateat40's, as well as being a shareholder in things like GLBSE
  • Allowing scams and extortions
Scott J
Legendary

Activity: 1792
Merit: 1000

View Profile
June 18, 2013, 02:22:04 PM

There is actually another reason for all this money, which theymos has been trying to keep under wraps. As bitcoin is becoming more popular, it is now being targeted by government agencies, like FinCEN, NSA, etc. and more government meddling is expected. There is expectation that main communication hubs, like this forum, will become major targets for governments to take down, in order to try to disrupt bitcoin itself. So the plan is to use this money to move the server into a location that will be impossible for governments to raid and shut down. Specifically, theymos is going to be buying a small drone that will be carrying a lightweight server, and will stay in the air almost 24x7. The large amount of money will mostly be used to pay for a satellite data connection, and refueling costs to keep it aloft.
While this is very funny, there is also good point to it - having funds to negate a legal attack on the forum could be very important in the future.

I don't know how the pirate bay manage their hosting, but they seem to be untouchable. If we need to go down that route at some point it could cost a fair bit, I assume?

Also having funds stashed for a potential legal defense is never a bad idea.

A legal attack on the forum because people talk about Bitcoin? Wth are you smoking?

You are either very naive or how no idea how much business takes place on this forum.  
jackjack
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1233

May Bitcoin be touched by his Noodly Appendage

View Profile
June 18, 2013, 02:54:17 PM

This can't possibly not be a troll

Own address: 19QkqAza7BHFTuoz9N8UQkryP4E9jHo4N3 - Pywallet support: 1AQDfx22pKGgXnUZFL1e4UKos3QqvRzNh5 - Bitcointalk++ script support: 1Pxeccscj1ygseTdSV1qUqQCanp2B2NMM2
Pywallet: instructions. Encrypted wallet support, export/import keys/addresses, backup wallets, export/import CSV data from/into wallet, merge wallets, delete/import addresses and transactions, recover altcoins sent to bitcoin addresses, sign/verify messages and files with Bitcoin addresses, recover deleted wallets, etc.
Matthew N. Wright (OP)
Untrustworthy

View Profile
June 18, 2013, 02:59:00 PM

This can't possibly not be a troll

False. Theymos holds us all to high expectations, giving scammer tags to those whom he feels are dishonest despite no transactions of any kind having taken place (as with my bet), yet he is allowed to freely solicit 6000+ BTC from the community while claiming it's for something that has never been begun in 12 months, much less not yet completed. His standard is a double one at that and he should be called out on it.

jackjack
Legendary

View Profile
June 18, 2013, 03:01:47 PM

Actually I was talking about this post

Own address: 19QkqAza7BHFTuoz9N8UQkryP4E9jHo4N3 - Pywallet support: 1AQDfx22pKGgXnUZFL1e4UKos3QqvRzNh5 - Bitcointalk++ script support: 1Pxeccscj1ygseTdSV1qUqQCanp2B2NMM2
Pywallet: instructions. Encrypted wallet support, export/import keys/addresses, backup wallets, export/import CSV data from/into wallet, merge wallets, delete/import addresses and transactions, recover altcoins sent to bitcoin addresses, sign/verify messages and files with Bitcoin addresses, recover deleted wallets, etc.
Matthew N. Wright (OP)
Untrustworthy

View Profile
June 18, 2013, 03:03:07 PM

Oh, sorry then. Use quotes next time!

In response to their response, I think it's clear they just don't understand what happens on these forums. It's like calling congress a "big hall of just discussion of laws and stuff".

jackjack
Legendary

View Profile
June 18, 2013, 03:06:42 PM

In response to their response, I think it's clear they just don't understand what happens on these forums. It's like calling congress a "big hall of just discussion of laws and stuff".
For now at least

Also, about the topic, I'm curious to know what theymos ever said about all this money because I never really followed all this drama
A very short sum up would be nice
Did he said anything about possible refunds?

Matthew N. Wright (OP)
Untrustworthy

View Profile
June 18, 2013, 03:12:42 PM

For now at least

Also, about the topic, I'm curious to know what theymos ever said about all this money because I never really followed all this drama

With so many cultists defending his actions and not willing to take an objective look at the bigger picture here, it is likely entirely out of the realm of possibilities, or  at least as likely as giving BFL a scammer tag. I fully support a stand against this forum's revenue by creating the "better" forum Theymos never bothered to in 12 months time with all our money. I think the lack of progress should be met with a reaction fitting for a community that pretends to love the free market.

PrintMule

Activity: 980

FREE $50 BONUS - STAKE - [click signature]

View Profile
June 18, 2013, 03:17:40 PM

Was there a separate address for this "new forum" or everyone just donated to default one?

Also should've just get right quotes, find someone to take the possible job, and stopping accepting donations after estimated sum has been reached.

100 BTC is more than enough to employ team of 5-10 ppl for a month

██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
████████▀▀▀        ▀▀█████████████████████████████████████████████████
██████▀    ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄    ███████████████████████████████████████████████
█████    ▄█████████▌   ▐█████▀  ▐███████████████▌  ▀██████████████████
████▌   ▐██████████    █████    ████████████████    ██████████████████
████▌   ▐█████████▄▄▄▄█████▌   ▐███████████████▌   ▐███▀▀█████████████
█████    ▀███████████████▀▀        ▄███████████    ██▀   ▐████████████
██████▄     ▀▀███████▀▀         ▄▄███▀▀▀▀█████▌   ▐▀   ▄███▀▀   ▀█████
█████████▄▄     ▀▀███▄  ▄▄    ████▀    ▄   ███       ▄███▀   ▄█  ▐████
█████████████▄▄     ▀████▌   ▐███▀   ███   ██▌      ████    ██▀  █████
██████▀▀   ▀█████▄    ███    ████   ███▌  ▐██    ▌  ▐██▌      ▄▄██████
█████    ▄████████    ▐██    ██▀▀   ██▀   ▐▀    ▐█   ██▌   ▀██▀▀  ████
████▌   ▐████████▀    ███▄     ▄▄▄     ▄    ▄   ▐██   ██▄      ▄▄█████
████▌   ███████▀    ▄███████████████████████████████▄  ▀▀██████▀▀ ████
█████    ▀▀▀▀     ▄█████████▀    ▀█▀    ▀█       ▀████▄▄         ▄████
██████▄▄    ▄▄▄▄████████████  █████  ██  █  █  █  ████████████████████
█████████████████████████  █▄    ▄█▄    ▄█  █  █  ████████████████████
██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
▄▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▄
█  ▄▀▄             █▀▀▐▀▄▄
█  █▀█             █  ▐  ▐▌
█       ▄██▄       █  ▌  █
█     ▄██████▄     █  ▌ ▐▌
█    ██████████    █ ▐  █
█   ▐██████████▌   █ ▐ ▐▌
█    ▀▀██████▀▀    █ ▌ █
█     ▄▄▄██▄▄▄     █ ▌▐▌
█                  █▐ █
█                  █▐▐▌
█                  █▐█
▀▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▀█
▄▄█████████▄▄
▄█▀▀▀█████████▀▀▀█▄
▄█▀    ▄▀█████▀     ▀█▄
▄█▄    █        ▀▄   ███▄
▄████▀▀▀▀▄       ▄▀▀▀▀▀███▄
████      ▀▄▄▄▄▄▀       ███
███     ▄▄███████▄▄     ▄▀█
█  ▀▄ ▄▀ ▀███████▀ ▀▄ ▄▀  █
▀█   █     ▀███▀     ▀▄  █▀
▀█▄▄█▄      █        █▄█▀
▀█████▄ ▄▀▀ ▀▀▄▄ ▄▄███▀
▀█████        ████▀
▀▀█▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█▀▀
● OVER 1000 GAMES
● DAILY RACES AND BONUSES
● 24/7 LIVE SUPPORT
jackjack
Legendary

View Profile
June 18, 2013, 03:27:05 PM

For now at least

With so many cultists defending his actions and not willing to take an objective look at the bigger picture here, it is likely entirely out of the realm of possibilities, or  at least as likely as giving BFL a scammer tag. I fully support a stand against this forum's revenue by creating the "better" forum Theymos never bothered to in 12 months time with all our money. I think the lack of progress should be met with a reaction fitting for a community that pretends to love the free market.
Did he clearly state that?

Was there a separate address for this "new forum" or everyone just donated to default one?
That's also a pretty good question.

Matthew N. Wright (OP)
Untrustworthy

View Profile
June 18, 2013, 03:30:23 PM

Did he clearly state that?
That there will be no refunds? Nope, not yet.

Seems all donations are bundled into the same wallet, even if the addresses may in fact be different. Donations made that also carried "titles" such as "Donator" or "VIP" were made to custom addresses I believe.

Rassah
Legendary

Activity: 1680
Merit: 1035

View Profile WWW
June 18, 2013, 04:21:43 PM
Last edit: June 18, 2013, 04:38:42 PM by Rassah

It is people like you that damage Bitcoin's reputation.  The people with the most Bitcoins should be most concerned it because you are damaging their investment.

Are you a troll? You sound like Betty Bowers, a "better bitcoiner than us"

If not, you seem to be a bit overly concerned about Bitcoin's image. First, why? And second, sketchy ads are the least of your worries on a sketchy forum full of sketchy characters like this one.

Also, why are so many of you demanding regulations? Why are you demanding a successful forum fold to your personal wishes over the wishes of others? Why are you demanding that theymos work as a nanny for some other people you don't even know? Why do you think donations should be considered purchases? And why not just make a forum of your own? I know Bruce Wagner made one, as did BFL, so why not you?
jackjack
Legendary

View Profile
June 18, 2013, 04:49:24 PM

Seems all donations are bundled into the same wallet, even if the addresses may in fact be different. Donations made that also carried "titles" such as "Donator" or "VIP" were made to custom addresses I believe.
I don't understand your answer. Is there a (some) 'New forum only donations' address(es)?

With so many cultists defending his actions and not willing to take an objective look at the bigger picture here, it is likely entirely out of the realm of possibilities, or  at least as likely as giving BFL a scammer tag. I fully support a stand against this forum's revenue by creating the "better" forum Theymos never bothered to in 12 months time with all our money. I think the lack of progress should be met with a reaction fitting for a community that pretends to love the free market.
You were free to give him your Bitcoin and he is free to keep it.   

With 6000 BTC and it is pretty easy to hire part-time staff, develop tipping widgets, and have a person to handle the advertising.
I kinda agree
But I can see reasons why theymos doesn't seem to move a lot about this:
  • He can't find someone trustworthy enough
  • He is afraid some big bugs/hacks happens that would lead to reactions like "YOU wanted this new forum! That's YOUR fault!!1!"
  • SMF is not that bad
  • He has many other tasks with higher priority to do
  • He doesn't give a damn
  • He wants to keep the money in case of emergency (not necessarily related to the forum)

infested999

Activity: 854

View Profile
June 18, 2013, 04:56:56 PM

• He doesn't give a damn
  • He wants to keep the money in case of emergency (not necessarily related to the forum)

He has other tasks to do worth more than $600,000? I'm not saying there should be a new forum, infact it would be a waste of time and money since no significant improvement would be made over this one. But it is a real shame for $600,000 to be sitting there with nothing accomplished.

If he wants to keep the money for a personal emergency, that should be completely clear to any donator.

▄███▄   ▄███▄
              █████   █████
      ▄███▄    ▀▀▀     ▀▀▀    ▄███▄
      █████     ▄██▄ ▄██▄     █████
       ▀▀▀ ▄██▄ ▀██▀ ▀██▀ ▄██▄ ▀▀▀
 ▄███▄     ▀██▀           ▀██▀     ▄███▄
 █████ ▄██▄                   ▄██▄ █████
  ▀▀▀  ▀██▀                   ▀██▀  ▀▀▀
                       ▄█
▄███▄ ▄██▄            ███ ███  ▄██▄ ▄███▄
█████ ▀██▀  ████      █████    ▀██▀ █████
 ▀▀▀         ▀███▄    ████           ▀▀▀
       ▄██▄    ████   ███     ▄██▄
 ▄███▄ ▀██▀     ▀███  ███     ▀██▀ ▄███▄
 █████            ███▄██           █████
  ▀▀▀              ▀████            ▀▀▀
                     ███
                     ███
                     ██
                   ███

████    ██
  ████    ██
    ████    ██
      ████    ██
        ████    ██
          ████    ██
          ████    ██
        ████    ██
      ████    ██
    ████    ██
  ████    ██
████    ██

White Paper
Yellow Paper
Pitch Deck
Telegram
LinkedIn
Twitter
DeanC

Activity: 148
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 18, 2013, 04:58:50 PM

+1  Grin

Please start forking an Open Source forum CMS project now.
Offer bounties for some work, public the github, let the community find bugs.

Open a thread to suggest features (bitcointip bot, etc.).

Find a secure host for the forums.
I would reccomend a system like Piratebay's one, one main server and dozens of vps in different countries proxying from main server to users.

If bitcointalk.org is ddosed only vps are ddosed, if bitcointalk.org ip is blocked only vps ip is blocked, if vps is shut down you dont lose any data.
People dont know real server's IP address, also setup cloudflare in front of that system.

So when someone conects:
User -> Cloudflare -> VPS -> Main server

VPS is a proxy only, only redirects traffic, like a load balancer.

Wink
+1
Matthew N. Wright (OP)
Untrustworthy

View Profile
June 18, 2013, 05:00:45 PM

I don't understand your answer. Is there a (some) 'New forum only donations' address(es)?

Not that I know of, just a general donation address, however if you wanted a title like "Donator", you would tell him first and he'd give you a specific address to donate to that he could monitor to remind him to set your title, that's all.

jackjack
Legendary

View Profile
June 18, 2013, 05:14:34 PM

• He doesn't give a damn

He has other tasks to do worth more than $600,000? I'm not saying there should be a new forum, infact it would be a waste of time and money since no significant improvement would be made over this one. But it is a real shame for $600,000 to be sitting there with nothing accomplished.

If he wants to keep the money for a personal emergency, that should be completely clear to any donator.
$600k today is not $600k tomorrow. If we assume that an emergency happens, BTCUSD will likely drop a lot
I don't get why some people are so angry, if you want your donation to be used within 3 months (or for building a new forum) then make it clear before donating because a donation means that the money doesn't belong to you anymore
Also I'd want to state that I'm not a cultist, I personally wouldn't keep all that money doing nothing for so long but I don't know what responsabilities come with being one the head of the Bitcoin world

Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: