Bitcoin Forum
May 21, 2024, 08:41:57 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Mobile or Desktop Wallet?  (Read 482 times)
SirChadimus (OP)

Activity: 2
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 05, 2017, 10:50:32 PM

Hello,

I'm new to crypto and currently have a small amount of BTC on Mycelium on my Android device. I ran a virus and malware scan on the phone prior to installing the wallet.

I'm considering also looking into some alt coins, and that led me to looking at Exodus for a desktop wallet.

My gut would tell me a mobile wallet is more secure than a desktop wallet like Exodus, since its exposure to the internet is more limited, as I'm using my PC for more things and being more "exposed".

I know a mobile wallet can be lost or stolen, however, since I have the 12 word seed phrase, it seems more secure than a Desktop wallet where you could get a keylogger or other virus and have your private key stolen.

However, many sites online say the opposite that Desktop is more secure?

Im trying to decide if I should move my funds to Exodus and operate all in 1 program, ( I wanna dip into alt coins as well), or if Mycelium is a more secure option.

I'll be looking into a hardware wallet for cold storage when I more funds invested in Crypto.

Thanks.
TryNinja
Legendary

Activity: 2842
Merit: 7040

Crypto Swap Exchange

View Profile WWW
November 05, 2017, 10:59:08 PM

I honestly think that it doesn't matter if you want to hold your coins in your phone or computer. Both are secure enought if you know how to secure your device.

It's actually pretty simple to have standard security for your devices.

PC = Use anti-virus, don't download everything from the internet. Better if you just hold your coins in a offline cold-storage wallet.
Android = Don't root your phone. If you do, don't download random apks from the internet and don't give them root permission.

If you want to hold multiple coins other than Bitcoin, use Exodus for PC or Coinomi for Android.

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
Mike Mayor

Activity: 966
Merit: 535

View Profile
November 05, 2017, 11:44:12 PM

I think most viruses and other nasties would mostly be designed to Target desktop wallets so I think a mobile one for your phone is more safe. The thing is you keep your phone with you so having your wallet and phone linked means if your phone is lost or stolen you have a problem. You should also keep backups of your private keys no matter what kind of wallet you are using. I suggest use the mobile wallet for smaller transactions and more frequent spends and the desktop wallet for longer term usage.

mk4
Legendary

Activity: 2772
Merit: 3838

Paldo.io 🤖

View Profile
November 06, 2017, 02:23:04 AM

Just to add to what TryNinja and SirChadimus said:

I've noticed from social media that a significant amount of people save their recovery seeds digitally, which is a very bad idea. And some even save their recovery seeds on something like a .txt file or a Word document, which is a makes it a lot lot worse a hundred fold. Always save your seed offline, on something like a paper.

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
zeragame

Activity: 14

View Profile
November 06, 2017, 03:30:45 AM

Use only desktop version!
SirChadimus (OP)

Activity: 2

View Profile
November 06, 2017, 04:57:57 AM

Why is desktop more secure
Shivasenap

Activity: 94
Merit: 10

View Profile
November 06, 2017, 05:14:09 AM

Good decision finally. You have decide to store your coins in cold storage.That is a good option.
KomrelliManikanta

Activity: 89

trade.io - Join the Trading Revolution trade.io

View Profile
November 06, 2017, 05:15:24 AM

Yes as you said, mobile wallet is always risky. Mobiles are easy to hack.So better options are cold storage and paper wallet

▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
▽  TRADE.IO  ▽     ║     WHITEPAPER  •  ANN THREAD  •  TELEGRAM     ║     JOIN THE TRADING REVOLUTION
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
SainagBurra

Activity: 55

View Profile
November 06, 2017, 05:18:13 AM

Yes its good.I personally like desktop wallets and cold storage.Mobile wallets are risky as everyone said here.

Electroneum
SrujanPanuganti

Activity: 51

View Profile
November 06, 2017, 05:20:10 AM

Better decision. Go with hardware wallets. Also mobile wallets are easy to use but with bit of risk.
GGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG

Activity: 28

View Profile
November 06, 2017, 07:33:29 AM

i newbie and i dont use wallet ,only exchange . peaple talk better keeping btc in wallet . why ?
Manyara

Activity: 92

View Profile WWW
November 06, 2017, 08:06:03 AM

Currently I have a Mycelium mobile wallet for BTC and a desktop wallet for Ether. I haven't experienced any problems so far. The mobile wallet is simple to use, and I have a password for logging in.

I have heard good testimonies on Exodus too.

For all the latest Cryptocurrency and blockchain news visit www.coinweez.com Join coinweez telegram community https://t.me/joinchat/E4QgYhDAXeum7azNK8JRuw Follow on Twitter: https://twitter.com/coinweez Like the Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/coinweezofficial/
deadsilent

Activity: 1148
Merit: 500

View Profile
November 06, 2017, 08:44:42 AM

For me, there's no difference at all. Because they are susceptible to any kinds of harms like virus or any kinds of malware that can be a cause why the funds are being stole. It's up to you how you manage to protect your funds in you wallets. Im using both computer and smartphone. Just protect them with antivirus and anti-keylogger. Don't go to suspicious sites that possibly phishing sites and don't install any apps or extensions. On smartphones, as Tryninja said. Don't install any apps that can penetrate the root where all your datas including your wallet stored.

i newbie and i dont use wallet ,only exchange . peaple talk better keeping btc in wallet . why ?

Because you don't have the full access to your Bitcoin. Because exchanges don't give any access to your private keys. Exchanges also are prone from hacker's attacks which cause losing funds. If you know what happen recently to Bitfinex. They lost huge amount because hackers stole the funds and unable to recover it.
Dudy

Activity: 48

View Profile
November 06, 2017, 08:50:44 AM

for me Desktop is better but make the desktop only to open the wallet don't work on it your office work or download movies and all this kind of things
earb1010

Activity: 7

View Profile
November 06, 2017, 08:53:02 AM

Currently I have a Mycelium mobile wallet for BTC and a desktop wallet for Ether. I haven't experienced any problems so far. The mobile wallet is simple to use, and I have a password for logging in.

I have heard good testimonies on Exodus too.

is that free from playstore?
Mitchell
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 3934
Merit: 2200

Verified awesomeness ✔

View Profile WWW
November 06, 2017, 10:47:24 AM

There is a General thread for questions like these. Please ask them there.

Duelbits
            ▄████▄▄
          ▄█████████▄
        ▄█████████████▄
     ▄██████████████████▄
   ▄████▄▄▄█████████▄▄▄███▄
 ▄████▐▀▄▄▀▌████▐▀▄▄▀▌██

██████▀▀▀▀███████▀▀▀▀█████

▐████████████■▄▄▄■██████████▀
▐██████████████████████████▀
██████████████████████████▀
▀███████████████████████▀