Bitcoin Forum
March 29, 2024, 05:26:29 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: 2013-06-10 Twitter: Edward Snowden bitcoin address requests  (Read 1720 times)
pbtc (OP)

Activity: 24
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 11, 2013, 06:24:09 AM

Edward Snowden bitcoin address requests starting to appear on twitter:
https://twitter.com/search?q=snowden%20bitcoin&src=typd

Next phase of bitcoin explosion ...

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Each block is stacked on top of the previous one. Adding another block to the top makes all lower blocks more difficult to remove: there is more "weight" above each block. A transaction in a block 6 blocks deep (6 confirmations) will be very difficult to remove.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
ErisDiscordia
Legendary

Activity: 1133
Merit: 1163

Imposition of ORder = Escalation of Chaos

View Profile
June 11, 2013, 08:00:28 AM

This needs to happen ASAP. Could help the guy a lot and also showcase another legitimate use of BTC in the fight against (government) terror.

It's all bullshit. But bullshit makes the flowers grow and that's beautiful.
keystroke

Activity: 900
Merit: 1014

advocate of a cryptographic attack on the globe

View Profile
June 12, 2013, 03:23:19 AM

This needs to happen ASAP. Could help the guy a lot and also showcase another legitimate use of BTC in the fight against (government) terror.

We need someone who is trusted to escrow. Then the coins can be donated to one of the organizations which has pledged to help him. (e.g. whistleblower.org) Ideally the org should be non-partisan.

"The difference between a castle and a prison is only a question of who holds the keys."
pbtc (OP)

View Profile
June 12, 2013, 04:31:42 AM

I just emailed (non-anonymously) one of their officers who manages a legal defense fund for another whistleblower:

Greetings Michael,

I am looking for a way to support Edward Snowden, and I wonder if your organization has contacts with him or Glenn Greenwald and could arrange a legal defense or personal support fund similar to what your organization provides for John Kiriakou.

Specifically, I wonder if you could consider acting as a trustee or escrow agent of a bitcoin address for Mr. Snowden. Bitcoin is a peer-to-peer currency/digital commodity based on open-source cryptography, and I know that many people in the bitcoin community are sympathetic to Mr. Snowden's stated goals. The exchange value of bitcoins has grown meteorically over the last 2 years, and I can only guess that many in the community would welcome the opportunity to support Mr. Snowden with their new-found wealth. Because bitcoins are based on a peer-to-peer protocol, they are easily moved across national boundaries, an attribute which Mr. Snowden may find advantageous.

Please feel free to contact me if I can provide you with more information about bitcoins or if you would like to discuss technical concerns. I would be delighted if I can help your work in any way.

Regards,

I will keep this thread updated if anything comes of this.

-pbtc
keystroke

View Profile
June 12, 2013, 05:44:24 AM

I just emailed (non-anonymously) one of their officers who manages a legal defense fund for another whistleblower:

Greetings Michael,

I am looking for a way to support Edward Snowden, and I wonder if your organization has contacts with him or Glenn Greenwald and could arrange a legal defense or personal support fund similar to what your organization provides for John Kiriakou.

Specifically, I wonder if you could consider acting as a trustee or escrow agent of a bitcoin address for Mr. Snowden. Bitcoin is a peer-to-peer currency/digital commodity based on open-source cryptography, and I know that many people in the bitcoin community are sympathetic to Mr. Snowden's stated goals. The exchange value of bitcoins has grown meteorically over the last 2 years, and I can only guess that many in the community would welcome the opportunity to support Mr. Snowden with their new-found wealth. Because bitcoins are based on a peer-to-peer protocol, they are easily moved across national boundaries, an attribute which Mr. Snowden may find advantageous.

Please feel free to contact me if I can provide you with more information about bitcoins or if you would like to discuss technical concerns. I would be delighted if I can help your work in any way.

Regards,

I will keep this thread updated if anything comes of this.

-pbtc

Nice work! I'll be watching this thread. This could help get additional press for bitcoin and help one of our nation's heroes. Doubleplusgood.

"The difference between a castle and a prison is only a question of who holds the keys."
ErisDiscordia
Legendary

Activity: 1133
Merit: 1163

Imposition of ORder = Escalation of Chaos

View Profile
June 12, 2013, 06:11:27 AM

Following this thread to find out how I can help. Was there ever a more perfect opportunity for symbiosis than BTC and Edward Snowden? Smiley

And good job pbtc!

It's all bullshit. But bullshit makes the flowers grow and that's beautiful.
CoinEntropy

Activity: 126
Merit: 100

Metacoin Enthusiast

View Profile
June 12, 2013, 06:12:49 AM

Huge PR concerning this man, involving BTC in there somewhere would be massive.

Hey.
keystroke

View Profile
June 13, 2013, 03:51:11 PM

The EFF replied as follows:

> Some of us in the bitcoin community are looking to donate to a Snowden
> legal defense fund. Can the EFF recommend one?

I'm unaware of any specific legal defense funds, and generally EFF does not recommend specific legal defense funds for donations for individuals.

Would EFF be willing to set up a bitcoin address to hold donations for a Snowden defense fund?

EFF is unable to set up such a defense fund or a bitcoin address. We have only just begun to start collecting bitcoin and still need to make sure that all of our donations and relevant processes are working.

BTCLuke

Activity: 526
Merit: 508

My other Avatar is also Scrooge McDuck

View Profile
June 13, 2013, 06:20:19 PM

Doesn't everyone know about this yet?

https://www.crowdtilt.com/campaigns/reward-edward-snowden-for-courageously-leaking-nsa-docs/description

Luke Parker
Bank Abolitionist
bernard75
Legendary

Activity: 1316
Merit: 1003

View Profile
June 13, 2013, 06:57:51 PM

This might also help and its just one click:
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=232959.0
pbtc (OP)

View Profile
June 18, 2013, 04:28:55 AM

-- thanks for the pointers to those links.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: