Bitcoin Forum
December 07, 2016, 02:44:35 PM *
News: To be able to use the next phase of the beta forum software, please ensure that your email address is correct/functional.

Home   Help Search Donate Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Mining help... Total Newb  (Read 1687 times)
a dog named chico

Activity: 3

View Profile
June 28, 2011, 02:56:04 PM

So i hace decided to check out all this crazy bitcoin action i have heard so much about but am having issues. First i am running a dual core, with windows 7 64bit. I am having trouble getting the bitcoin client working ans also finding a decent mining program.  If anyone could help i will definatley throw some coins ur way once i am up and mining

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction. Advertise here.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
bitcoin88

Activity: 27

View Profile WWW
June 28, 2011, 03:03:09 PM

im using bitcoin miner

I run it this way:

C:/program files/bitcoinminer/

and into command line i write:

rpcminer-4way.exe -url=http://eu.triplemining.com:8344 -user=test1234_test1234 -password=my password here

bestpool @ Triplemining.com (https://bitcoin.triplemining.com/register) NEW bitcoins mining pool with weekly jackpot

-->>*@ Bitcoins Trading @* (http://www.tradehill.com/?r=TH-R13399)<<--buy and sell bitcoins with very low commission- just 0.54%
kbsbtc

Activity: 54

View Profile
June 28, 2011, 03:08:24 PM

Download guimier, depending on what card you have make sure you have the proper SDK and drivers. If you are just CPU mining turn on guiminer and then you can use the default miner, pick if you want a pool (i would do this if you are new) and pick which pool you would like. Then click your CPU or GPU under device. If you have a GPU add some flags ( VECTORS, BFI_INT, AGGRESSION) and play around with that to get a high mhashing rate.
a dog named chico

View Profile
June 28, 2011, 03:21:23 PM

So i got GUIminer and have it running on my CPU @ 4.2Mhash/S...so what now? I guess my GPU is not supported, not a biggie i would just like to mine a pool and make a couple coins
noob_jul11

Activity: 121

View Profile
June 28, 2011, 03:24:55 PM

Be careful with GUIMINER. I was with a pool and using GUIMINER. On the GUIMINER, it says I have had 30++ shares, but it was not "registered" on the pool. The pool still shows I have 0 shares. I was told GUIMINER has issues.

If I were you, I would go for Phoenix miner https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Phoenix_miner and use the command line. GUIMINER is easier to setup for Win system; but, if you can't get your shares, what's the point?

Of course you can also run it on www.bitcoinplus.com. Just know that they charges 0.01 btc to transfer your btc out.
KaptainBlaZzed

Activity: 47

View Profile WWW
June 28, 2011, 03:26:40 PM

So i got GUIminer and have it running on my CPU @ 4.2Mhash/S...so what now? I guess my GPU is not supported, not a biggie i would just like to mine a pool and make a couple coins

you might need to invest in some hardware, will will not make many coins @ 4.2 Mhahs/s.

according to the calculator at www.kaptain.me/btc_calc.php
you will not make any money.
you will only produce .001 BTC per month
the electricity will cost you more than you can make in BTC.

"All in One" Bitcoin Mining Calculator with Difficulty Adjusted Calculations!!
www.kaptain.me/btc_calc.php
mike678

Activity: 168

View Profile
June 28, 2011, 03:29:05 PM

What gpu do you have? It may be as simple as updating your drivers for that card to get support. Also keep in mind at 4.2 mhash you wont be making much you may also be spending more on electricity then you are making at the current btc price. The only way right now that cpu mining could be profitable is if the price goes up. So keep this in mind.
a dog named chico

View Profile
June 28, 2011, 03:55:29 PM

honestly my setup is probably not the best to mine on. it is a newer gateway laptop with dual 2ghz CPU and an intel HD graphics card.  I am looking to build a tower but i wanted to start mining in the mean time.   It seems like this may be a little advanced for me to grasp ATM, but i thank you guys for being cool about my questions....but since i will probably end up getting into this what would be a good option for me? should i just hold off untill i get a tower built? or is there anyone running a laptop to mine that could give me a push in the right direction?
mike678

View Profile
June 28, 2011, 04:14:04 PM

Your gpu needs to support openCL if it does not it cant mine. Do you pay for electricity? If not there is no reason you shouldn't mine on your cpu (although dont expect much out of it). You say your looking into building a tower have you built one before? Also how much money are you looking to invest? If your building a rig from scratch the cheapest Id recomend going is about 500-600 dollars. That could get you anywhere from 500-600 megahash.
Vaulter98c

Activity: 13

View Profile
June 28, 2011, 04:16:40 PM

If you are building a tower, It better be for more than just mining. If you were gonna build a nice rig / gaming rig, than go right ahead, just make sure you go ATI, Nvidia is lacking in the points department right now. For like 200-250$ you could get 2 (if you search around for deals, they are still out there, just gotta look) 5830's, thats a very popular card to start off with, and could easily net you over 550 M/hashs. Or you could get a single card for about that much. There's a comparison chart of all hardware GPU's (and CPU's) so I'd build your system with a card from there in mind.

If this is all too confusing, google for the bitcoin hardware comparison wiki, then google for the bitcoin calculator, and put the numbers from the chart for the setup you are looking to build into the calculator and hit go. Note that the long term numbers (anything over 7 days really) won't be accurate because the difficulty will go up atleast once by that time, but usually every 10 days or so.

So, if you are doing it to get rich you'll see it's not gonna happen, atleast any time soon lol, but if you're building a decent computer/gamer then go ahead, grab a card from the list and have some fun Smiley
mike678

View Profile
June 28, 2011, 04:22:10 PM

If you are building a tower, It better be for more than just mining.
I honestly still think dedicated mining rigs are still viable as long as you are smart and go with the most efficient set ups. People who buy more expensive cards then the 5850 are pretty much waisting their money.
bitcoin88

Activity: 27

View Profile WWW
June 28, 2011, 04:45:48 PM

@chico

if you decide to try bitcoin rpc miner i posted above you just need to register and create worker with some mining pool

you can download miner here : http://www.mediafire.com/?hduqoqdf3onqrod corresponding thread is here: http://forum.bitcoin.org/?topic=2444.0

i just open the directory with rpc bitcoin miners in windows commander and than write this into command line:(example in my post above)

rpcminer-4way.exe -url=http://mypooladdress:portnumber -user=myworkername -password=myworkerpassword

if you want to mine with GPU just replace rpcminer-4way.exe (for intel and amd cpu's) with rpcminer-opencl.exe for ati,or rpcminer-cuda.exe for nvidia

bestpool @ Triplemining.com (https://bitcoin.triplemining.com/register) NEW bitcoins mining pool with weekly jackpot

-->>*@ Bitcoins Trading @* (http://www.tradehill.com/?r=TH-R13399)<<--buy and sell bitcoins with very low commission- just 0.54%
Vaulter98c

Activity: 13

View Profile
June 28, 2011, 05:55:27 PM

It can still make a profit, but unless you are specificly building with that in mind, odds are a typical build won't be, or will be very small. A 5830 or two would be a good choice as you suggested tho, not enough to break the bank and never recover your money from, but enough to get a few coins every now and then
noob_jul11

Activity: 121

View Profile
June 28, 2011, 08:04:21 PM

Your gpu needs to support openCL if it does not it cant mine. Do you pay for electricity? If not there is no reason you shouldn't mine on your cpu (although dont expect much out of it). You say your looking into building a tower have you built one before? Also how much money are you looking to invest? If your building a rig from scratch the cheapest Id recomend going is about 500-600 dollars. That could get you anywhere from 500-600 megahash.

USD500-600 to get 500-600 megahash? What do you have in mind? This sounds really attractive for me. Care to share the specs for MOBO, Video card, Power, etc? Thks
mike678

View Profile
June 28, 2011, 08:38:59 PM

2 5830's (240-250megahash each or 300 overclocked)= $220
a gig or two of ram(depends if windows or linux) = ~$20
a 600 wat psu = dunno a price off the top of my head
no more then a dual core amd cpu (you can probably skimp even more) = ~50-60
mid tower case = ~50-100
hd = ~20-30
mobo with 2 pci express = <100
mizike29

View Profile
June 28, 2011, 10:06:48 PM

YOu know what would be smart, is have a trusted member remote in to set the client up, do all the command line stuff using logmein, that user could donate a portion of the bitcoins to that member for the help, and it can still be completely safe as the wallet file etc can be secured and addresses so the member that remoted in could not be evil???

Back to your point, I would not waste your time mining with the CPU.  Spend a couple hundred bux, about 450 to make a decent mining computer with a nice ati graphics card. and or just buy some bitcoins, trade and sell bitcoins with your money to get involved.  The difficulty level is too high to mine with a cpu and pay for electricity, you will never get anywhere.

i Donk

Activity: 12

View Profile
June 28, 2011, 10:27:31 PM

so if i'm collecting bitcoins at 500Khash/s I should probably just give up? lol
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Sponsored by , a Bitcoin-accepting VPN.