Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 09:31:09 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Miner Life and Dead Hashboards  (Read 507 times)
BitcoinIntern (OP)

Activity: 210
Merit: 100

View Profile
November 07, 2017, 06:32:29 PM

Hi Everyone...

I am trying to figure out top 5 to 10 reasons why miners fail due to ignorance of the owners. Has anyone had any unfortunate incident where the miners/boards were burnt or stopped working because of the fact that the owner of the miners missed something while setting up their farms or any such thing? Thanks for your time.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Activity + Trust + Earned Merit == The Most Recognized Users on Bitcointalk
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
wavelengthsf

Activity: 658
Merit: 118

View Profile
November 07, 2017, 07:04:59 PM

Using incorrect PSUs seems like it'd be a common reason
lightfoot
Legendary

Activity: 3094
Merit: 2239

I fix broken miners. And make holes in teeth :-)

View Profile
November 07, 2017, 08:02:33 PM

That's easy. I'm writing a FAQ of things in the mining support forum.

I'd say #10 is running the miner in a horse barn and having the board coated in hay and horse crap. :-)

C
NotFuzzyWarm
Legendary

Activity: 3612
Merit: 2506

Evil beware: We have waffles!

View Profile
November 07, 2017, 08:17:20 PM

Hi Everyone...

I am trying to figure out top 5 to 10 reasons why miners fail due to ignorance of the owners. Has anyone had any unfortunate incident where the miners/boards were burnt or stopped working because of the fact that the owner of the miners missed something while setting up their farms or any such thing? Thanks for your time.
I'd say the horror show pics in this thread Burnt s7 rather qualifies as an 'unfortunate incident'...
The miner itself shorted and because it was fed by a 4kw PSU without the PCIe wire triplets being fused -- poof...

- For bitcoin to succeed the community must police itself -    My info useful? Donations welcome! 1FuzzyWc2J8TMqeUQZ8yjE43Rwr7K3cxs9
 -Sole remaining active developer of cgminer, Kano's repo is here
-Support Sidehacks miner development. Donations to:   1BURGERAXHH6Yi6LRybRJK7ybEm5m5HwTr
BitcoinIntern (OP)

View Profile
November 07, 2017, 08:51:36 PM

That's easy. I'm writing a FAQ of things in the mining support forum.

I'd say #10 is running the miner in a horse barn and having the board coated in hay and horse crap. :-)

C

Let me know when you have it Smiley... Thanks.
BitcoinIntern (OP)

View Profile
November 07, 2017, 08:52:19 PM

Using incorrect PSUs seems like it'd be a common reason

So Bitmain's own PSU's should be fine I suppose...
BitcoinIntern (OP)

View Profile
November 07, 2017, 08:54:26 PM

Hi Everyone...

I'd say the horror show pics in this thread Burnt s7 rather qualifies as an 'unfortunate incident'...
The miner itself shorted and because it was fed by a 4kw PSU without the PCIe wire triplets being fused -- poof...

My goodness...that guy really got lucky. His place would have easily caught fire. I guess Bitmain PSU's are the way to go. Do you think these Bitmain PSU's are switching power PSU's? Somebody was telling me these switching power PSU's produce harmonics. I guess I should open up a new topic on it
lightfoot
Legendary

Activity: 3094
Merit: 2239

I fix broken miners. And make holes in teeth :-)

View Profile
November 07, 2017, 10:31:25 PM

Only cheap low power factor ones. The raction time against the sine wave causes heat which can cause components to fail even under current limits. That's on the AC side.

A good power supply has PFC (power factor correction) so that's not a problem. Putting a fuse on each miner's supply lines is another way to prevent that sort of a fire with a larger supply.
castiel0504

Activity: 266
Merit: 109

Ultra Mega Giga Super Cool Flying Oposum!

View Profile
November 08, 2017, 12:52:56 AM

Hi Everyone...

Damn...thats...SCARY  Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked

I am not sure how much big of quality is PSU from Bitmain, but i ordered this one:

https://shop.bitmain.com/productDetail.htm?pid=00020170920224132179WEIOvhXx06D6

I hope so nothing like that won't happen :S

What i would like to add, i saw few days ago topic on some miner, it got faulty and OP was asking why. When he posted pictures it was all dusty and dirty, so i guess you can add that on list. At least he could clear it from dust once a month or less. It was working for few months without cleaning at all, so my guess it overheated because of it.
NotFuzzyWarm
Legendary

View Profile
November 08, 2017, 01:27:02 AM
Last edit: November 08, 2017, 01:42:43 AM by NotFuzzyWarm

Do note that Finsky being Finsky, no doubt the PCIe leads are 16ga and survived without even a blister. Then again, together 9x 16ga wires can carry a helluva lot of current. Connectors got toasted as aftermath of the main fault. What very obviously blew are the power planes on the PCB's.

He mentioned it was an s7 batch-1, those have no Vcore reg so the strings of chips are fed directly from the PSU with nothing at all to limit power going through the PCB other than the resistance of the copper itself. The first 3 batches of s9's are the same setup.

When a chip or something else shorted the power planes and with the board fed by a supply more than happy to dump in over 3x more than an entire 3-board miner normally takes
Been using the Bitmain PSU's for several years with zero problems other than the fan whines more after a couple years. While a similar fault when using a more reasonably rated supply would still toast a board the result should be far less catastrophic since the PSU would shut down a lot sooner.

Oh, and all computer PSU's and pretty much all industrial ones are switchers. Other than in legacy equipment from the 70's or for very special needs I haven't seen a high power linear supply in decades.

- For bitcoin to succeed the community must police itself -    My info useful? Donations welcome! 1FuzzyWc2J8TMqeUQZ8yjE43Rwr7K3cxs9
-Support Sidehacks miner development. Donations to:   1BURGERAXHH6Yi6LRybRJK7ybEm5m5HwTr
leowonderful
Legendary

Activity: 1624
Merit: 1129

Bitcoin FTW!

View Profile
November 08, 2017, 02:30:46 AM

Do note that Finsky being Finsky, no doubt the PCIe leads are 16ga and survived without even a blister. Then again, together 9x 16ga wires can carry a helluva lot of current. Connectors got toasted as aftermath of the main fault. What very obviously blew are the power planes on the PCB's.

He mentioned it was an s7 batch-1, those have no Vcore reg so the strings of chips are fed directly from the PSU with nothing at all to limit power going through the PCB other than the resistance of the copper itself. The first 3 batches of s9's are the same setup.

When a chip or something else shorted the power planes and with the board fed by a supply more than happy to dump in over 3x more than an entire 3-board miner normally takes
Been using the Bitmain PSU's for several years with zero problems other than the fan whines more after a couple years. While a similar fault when using a more reasonably rated supply would still toast a board the result should be far less catastrophic since the PSU would shut down a lot sooner.

Oh, and all computer PSU's and pretty much all industrial ones are switchers. Other than in legacy equipment from the 70's or for very special needs I haven't seen a high power linear supply in decades.
Had no idea Bitmain has cut down so much on costs and production quality recently (well, I did know but I wasn't aware of catastrophic failures resulting from em like this). Thank god Finsky actually found those issues in time, could have been a lot worse for all of us if Bitmain got away with it. Hope they don't try to sneak in the same thing for the next batch of their future SHA miners.

Just another note to always use good, low AWG cables. Good cabling not only prevents heat issues and melting wires but can also help diagnose the root of an issue like with the faulty S7s/9s. I personally never use any cables higher than 16s with breakout boards.

Never use any molex or SATA to 6 pin connector either, they use high awg wire and the quality on those are extremely bad.
NotFuzzyWarm
Legendary

View Profile
November 08, 2017, 03:39:15 AM

As a closer at the end of that thread, Finsky did make a point of the fact that the miners were being fed from one of his 2x DPS2000 4kw breakout boards. As a pretty righteous test of the breakout boards construction (very thick copper. 4oz/in?) the breakout survived unscathed despite what happened to the large but much thinner power planes on the hash boards.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: