Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 05:21:51 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin uneven distribution as a global currrency  (Read 332 times)
Paranuatu (OP)

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

View Profile
November 07, 2017, 11:08:43 AM

I have recently read how bitcoin distribution is much more uneven the the current fiat wealth distribution in the the developed countries and the whole world. Few individuals hold very large amount of bitcoins, I am guessing mostly early adopters.

One of the early arguments for bitcoin was that it will allow for a fairer distribution of wealth.

If bitcoin ever becomes a global currency, a handful of individuals will be extremely rich,more than today's billionaires and policy makers. Those individuals will own half or more of the global assets. They will rule, influence the world and its people.

I missed the BTC train Sad donate bitcents: BTC:1CWpbYGZVmC14zqLgNmnU8R8CbM9dbx4CY ETH:0x546A87681f70929634236Ad243AE4722A5CbDcC6

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"You Asked For Change, We Gave You Coins" -- casascius
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
alfstep

Activity: 308
Merit: 128

Here I come! Again!

View Profile
November 07, 2017, 11:19:40 AM

I guess early adopters have the upper hand, because yeah they are early adopters
They believe in bitcoin before others do, so it's pretty much acceptable I think

monkeydominicorobin

Activity: 294
Merit: 104

✪ NEXCHANGE | BTC, LTC, ETH & DOGE ✪

View Profile
November 07, 2017, 11:27:15 AM

I have recently read how bitcoin distribution is much more uneven the the current fiat wealth distribution in the the developed countries and the whole world. Few individuals hold very large amount of bitcoins, I am guessing mostly early adopters.

One of the early arguments for bitcoin was that it will allow for a fairer distribution of wealth.

If bitcoin ever becomes a global currency, a handful of individuals will be extremely rich,more than today's billionaires and policy makers. Those individuals will own half or more of the global assets. They will rule, influence the world and its people.

Says who. Fake news. The problem with your statistics is that it is simply a propaganda piece of Central Bankers. What is their money worth? Zero. They are just pieces of paper. If it is worthless then why are we using their money. Because you are a slave and the  school system turned you into their slave. They made you think that stock certificates are special. It is just a piece of paper. They made you think that insurance is special. It is just a piece of paper. That is how they turn you into stupid members of society. Gold bullion certificates? Just a piece of paper. Gold is just a shiny metal. Zero value in practical world. My precious will turn you into Gollum.

Paranuatu (OP)

View Profile
November 07, 2017, 11:30:49 AM

Says who. Fake news. The problem with your statistics is that it is simply a propaganda piece of Central Bankers. What is their money worth? Zero. They are just pieces of paper. If it is worthless then why are we using their money. Because you are a slave and the  school system turned you into their slave. They made you think that stock certificates are special. It is just a piece of paper. They made you think that insurance is special. It is just a piece of paper. That is how they turn you into stupid members of society. Gold bullion certificates? Just a piece of paper. Gold is just a shiny metal. Zero value in practical world. My precious will turn you into Gollum.

I think bitcoin adresses are public so its not that hard to calculate the disctribution, seeing the richest adrersses and the fact there is a limited suply.
And the opposite argument for this could be - bitcoin is a peace of code (which also the majority of fiat is, very few of the world fiat is actually on paper).

My question is of course - if bitcoin is adopted to the scale of fiat - how will major bitcoin owners, controlling the majority of the world's currency, be different from todays Central bankers?

I missed the BTC train Sad donate bitcents: BTC:1CWpbYGZVmC14zqLgNmnU8R8CbM9dbx4CY ETH:0x546A87681f70929634236Ad243AE4722A5CbDcC6
Theb

Activity: 1680
Merit: 655

View Profile
November 07, 2017, 11:42:43 AM

I don't think so if these individuals we are talking about are only rivh because of their assets it won't last long as they don't have their own businesses to maintain their wealth and to influence other markets in return. The uneven distribution of Bitcoin is natural for it as it is decentralized and  on its early stage it was easy to buy one at an early stage these people who have bought Bitcoin at a cheaper price on a large quantity are lucky people and will know benefit from it with today's higher price.

..bustadice..         ▄▄████████████▄▄
     ▄▄████████▀▀▀▀████████▄▄
   ▄███████████    ███████████▄
  █████    ████▄▄▄▄████    █████
 ██████    ████████▀▀██    ██████
██████████████████   █████████████
█████████████████▌  ▐█████████████
███    ██████████   ███████    ███
███    ████████▀   ▐███████    ███
██████████████      ██████████████
██████████████      ██████████████
 ██████████████▄▄▄▄██████████████
  ▀████████████████████████████▀
                     ▄▄███████▄▄
                  ▄███████████████▄
   ███████████  ▄████▀▀       ▀▀████▄
               ████▀      ██     ▀████
 ███████████  ████        ██       ████
             ████         ██        ████
███████████  ████     ▄▄▄▄██        ████
             ████     ▀▀▀▀▀▀        ████
 ███████████  ████                 ████
               ████▄             ▄████
   ███████████  ▀████▄▄       ▄▄████▀
                  ▀███████████████▀
                     ▀▀███████▀▀
           ▄██▄
           ████
            ██
            ▀▀
 ▄██████████████████████▄
██████▀▀██████████▀▀██████
█████    ████████    █████
█████▄  ▄████████▄  ▄█████
██████████████████████████
    ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
    ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
       ████████████
......Play......
baedrill

Activity: 30
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 07, 2017, 11:49:40 AM

Who actually said this? Bitcoin was much much easier to get in the earlier days so the argument falls apart instantly. I don't think Satoshi mentioned this in his whitepaper either, so it was never designed with that in mind.
zakalwe

Activity: 445
Merit: 251

View Profile
November 07, 2017, 11:59:54 AM

Your concerns are on point. I also think this is one of the biggest problems of bitcoin. I don't remember exact numbers but about 1000 bitcoin addresses own like 50% of all bitcoins and those 1000 addresses don't mean 1000 different people because some very rich guys have their bitcoins spread among multiple addresses so maybe only 300 people own 50% of bitcoins. If they decide to sell too much at once, bitcoin will crash massively.
teilwalL05

Activity: 980
Merit: 500

View Profile
November 07, 2017, 12:01:17 PM

I don't think so if these individuals we are talking about are only rivh because of their assets it won't last long as they don't have their own businesses to maintain their wealth and to influence other markets in return. The uneven distribution of Bitcoin is natural for it as it is decentralized and  on its early stage it was easy to buy one at an early stage these people who have bought Bitcoin at a cheaper price on a large quantity are lucky people and will know benefit from it with today's higher price.

I agree, and I think bitcoin had a higher price right now than any other currency and it will keep on increasing as the year goes by, it is up to a certain someone if he would truly go with the flow of the increasing with bitcoin by investing with this they can truly catch up with previous bitcoin investors, and I think business man and the rich people right now are very afraid in doing an investment with bitcoin, they are really doubting the possibility in Cryptocurrency.
Red-Apple

Activity: 1470
Merit: 655

View Profile
November 07, 2017, 12:02:35 PM

those big balances you see mostly belong to services such as exchanges cold storage. like the first one belonging to bitfinex.
the early adopters have sold at least something and moved their coins to multiple addresses so that nobody can see it. and that is what you get for being an early adopter. there is nothing wrong with that. you could have done it too, the early adopters were not some secret society who got the news about bitcoin first!!!

not it has never been!
bitcoin is a currency and it is supposed to be a currency not a wealth distributor!

i bought bitcoin 2 years ago when price was $200. each coin that i may h ave bought back then is worth $7000+ today. is it unfair that i risked my money for 2+ years and you kept your money in banks?

--signature space for rent; sent PM--
BFTW

Activity: 13

View Profile
November 07, 2017, 12:11:02 PM

I highly doubt that its the case. Show some proofs maybe?
Paranuatu (OP)

View Profile
November 07, 2017, 12:20:47 PM

I am not saying bitcoin gives unfair advantage to early adopters. I think it is great that people were able to get rich by taking early risks.

What I am saying is that if bitcoin is ever to become worlds no 1 currency or asset, the people who bought the majority bitcoin and are holding it now, will be the new world's elite, just like the bankers and ols money people are right now. Except that the elite will be even more anonymous than today.

Paranuatu (OP)

View Profile
November 07, 2017, 12:29:28 PM

And another thought:
70-80% bitcoins have been mined are are owned by a couple of 10 million adresses. Even if you forget the uneven distribution of the allready owned bitcoin, 99% of people in the world do not own bitcoin right now and even this is an advantage of this 1% compared to most of the worlds population, if the bitcoin ever gets adopted as the main currency.

kiboloves

Activity: 242

View Profile
November 07, 2017, 12:32:43 PM

I think it's just temporary. Now ETH is more than bitcoin in applications, one day will replace the status of bitcoin. Compared with the previous wealth distribution, the virtual currency should be more fair. And it's more transparent.
Paranuatu (OP)

View Profile
November 07, 2017, 12:36:47 PM

Limited supply is great for an investment asset, but not for a world currency. Bitcoin as an investment asset, however, is also growing due to the promise that it will one day become a no. 1 global currency.

teamjk

Activity: 39

View Profile
November 07, 2017, 12:54:44 PM

18013 wallets currently hold the 61,77% of BTC
these are the ones that own more than 100 BTC on each wallet.
Each one wallet of these has value now of more than 7 million US$. (today prices)

Not even a crazy would support a global currency with this structure.
simple logic
BFTW

Activity: 13

View Profile
November 07, 2017, 01:25:49 PM

Each one wallet of these has value now of more than 7 million US$. (today prices)

simple logic

You might be amazed about the distribution of our 'dear' fiat currency in the world. Try and enter your annual income and see where you are : globalrichlist.net
teamjk

Activity: 39

View Profile
November 07, 2017, 01:43:21 PM

simple logic

You might be amazed about the distribution of our 'dear' fiat currency in the world. Try and enter your annual income and see where you are : globalrichlist.net

so you basically propose something similar to the curent wealth distribution system?what is the point of that?

actually what is in BTC right now is even worst.
In real world , 1% holds some 45% of global wealth
in BTC world, some 0,08% hold some 61% of BTC wealth. And we don't count the double and triple wallets at this exercise.

Are we sure that this is the right way to go?

UsernameBitcoin

Activity: 530
Merit: 250

CryptoTalk.Org - Get Paid for every Post!

View Profile
November 07, 2017, 02:07:47 PM

I am 100% completely okay with the people who took a chance having power in the future. That is if they can hold onto it for so long. I don't know why people think they're all going to hold them forever. They're going to spend them eventually, but the good thing is it won't be on war or forming a new government to find ways to get people to pay taxes. The ones who bought early on are mostly good people.

. ██████████.
                              .████████████████.
                           .██████████████████████.
                        -█████████████████████████████
                     .██████████████████████████████████.
                  -█████████████████████████████████████████
               -███████████████████████████████████████████████
           .-█████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
        .████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
       .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       ..████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████..
       .   .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       .      .████████████████████████████████████████████████.

.       .██████████████████████████████████████████████
       .    ██████████████████████████████████████████████████████
       .█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
        .███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
           .█████████████████████████████████████████████████████
              .████████████████████████████████████████████████
                   ████████████████████████████████████████
                      ██████████████████████████████████
                             ████████████████████
                               ████████████████
                                   █████████
.CryptoTalk.org.|.MAKE POSTS AND EARN BTC!.🏆
aoihs00

Activity: 700
Merit: 300

View Profile
November 07, 2017, 02:10:37 PM

And another thought:
70-80% bitcoins have been mined are are owned by a couple of 10 million adresses. Even if you forget the uneven distribution of the allready owned bitcoin, 99% of people in the world do not own bitcoin right now and even this is an advantage of this 1% compared to most of the worlds population, if the bitcoin ever gets adopted as the main currency.

But do you really think that this 1% could help us get the bitcoin as worlds currency recognition! I don't think so because that is really not enough for the hold to hold and survive on it because simply it is just not enough for everyone.

Bitcoin is not at all distributed equally because early investor gets big chunks of money while the investors like us who are struggling to buy bitcoin at 7K rate would always struggle to acquire that perfect ROI which is just very much impossible now a days in short period of time.

These things are really messy when we see that bitcoin is just limited and can't fulfil every address that is created each second. Afraid that how things will work once the prices are gone high and there is no supply remaining for us to buy more.  

cryptojac17

Activity: 490
Merit: 107

View Profile
November 07, 2017, 02:16:01 PM

I agree, and I think bitcoin had a higher price right now than any other currency and it will keep on increasing as the year goes by, it is up to a certain someone if he would truly go with the flow of the increasing with bitcoin by investing with this they can truly catch up with previous bitcoin investors, and I think business man and the rich people right now are very afraid in doing an investment with bitcoin, they are really doubting the possibility in Cryptocurrency.
As of now BTC is the most popular currency that is why the price is higher, lucky are those who bought earlier he is just doing it in a certain way, but there are also lot other currencies that are considered competitors of BTC that should be considered as an opportunities if-you will buy it while the price is low and hold for while maybe it’s not late for us to earn for the future.

Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: