Bitcoin Forum
April 23, 2024, 09:52:01 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Buying an account to claim ownership of username  (Read 777 times)
Decoded (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1232
Merit: 1029

give me your cryptos

View Profile
November 05, 2017, 08:30:48 PM

I know that buying accounts in general is strongly frowned upon. But if there's an inactive account with a username I like, and I have managed to contact the original owner through external social media, can I purchase the account? I will publicly state that I own the account, and don't plan to do anything but on that account.

I don't see any problem regarding this, but wanted to make sure.

looking for a signature campaign, dm me for that

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Make sure you back up your wallet regularly! Unlike a bank account, nobody can help you if you lose access to your BTC.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
aTriz

Activity: 1218
Merit: 683

Tontogether | Save Smart & Win Big

View Profile
November 05, 2017, 08:31:59 PM

What's the account?

Decoded (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1232
Merit: 1029

give me your cryptos

View Profile
November 05, 2017, 10:00:04 PM

What's the account?

I haven't bought it yet  Tongue

looking for a signature campaign, dm me for that
Quickseller
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 2870
Merit: 2298

View Profile
November 06, 2017, 12:07:06 AM

I would prepare to get negative ratings from Lauda for just asking about this. I would not expect any kind of discussion about the matter, and any points that support your argument by both yourself and others will be ignored.

You might be able to pay Lauda some kind of "fee" to get the negative rating removed, however there would be no guarantee it would be removed forever, nor that Lauda will not ask for an additional payment in the future.
Pearls Before Swine

Activity: 1190
Merit: 306

View Profile
November 06, 2017, 12:12:20 AM

I would prepare to get negative ratings from Lauda for just asking about this. I would not expect any kind of discussion about the matter, and any points that support your argument by both yourself and others will be ignored.

You might be able to pay Lauda some kind of "fee" to get the negative rating removed, however there would be no guarantee it would be removed forever, nor that Lauda will not ask for an additional payment in the future.
Mm.  I don't know about that, and I wouldn't be so presumptuous as to speak for Lauda or anyone else,
but Decoded might get a pass.  He's trusted enough at this point that his reasons for buying an account are
good enough not to get a negative.  I think the reason he gave here is a pretty decent one, and I don't think
the intent is to spam or scam anyone, which is why Lauda, actmyname, and others have been handing out the
red paint in the first place.  Being fair doesn't necessarily mean meting out the same punishment for everything;
every case is different. 

Paying Lauda a fee to remove a negative?  Do you have any sort of evidence that Lauda has ever taken a bribe
like that?  I know you think that extortion attempt was a reputation breaker, but I've never read anywhere
that you could make such a deal with him.  Or her.
Lauda
Legendary

Activity: 2674
Merit: 2965

Terminated.

View Profile WWW
November 06, 2017, 05:11:53 AM

Paying Lauda a fee to remove a negative?  Do you have any sort of evidence that Lauda has ever taken a bribe like that?  I know you think that extortion attempt was a reputation breaker, but I've never read anywhere
that you could make such a deal with him.  Or her.
No, he has not. The reason for which he is insinuating that, is because he likely tried to do this with an alt account which promptly got a negative for attempting to do it. I remember explicitly tagging at least one person because of this.

Update,  here's an example: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?action=profile;u=973899. Don't drink the scammer kool-aid from QS.

"The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"
😼 Bitcoin Core (onion)
rivoke
Legendary

Activity: 924
Merit: 1006

View Profile
November 06, 2017, 06:56:11 AM

AFAIK, when Lauda know that you bought account, you will got red-ve immediately. ( Her principle : to combat account sales )
or
AFAIK, when Lauda know that you bought account, you will got red-ve immediately because the account that you bought has scam attempt on the past
For example bitcoin boys's case : https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=2347166.0

So I think you will got negative trust as soon as you purchase account except she grant the permission for you to purchase that account
actmyname
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 2562
Merit: 2504

Spear the bees

View Profile WWW
November 06, 2017, 08:12:19 AM

AFAIK, when Lauda know that you bought account, you will got red-ve immediately. ( Her principle : to combat account sales )
or
AFAIK, when Lauda know that you bought account, you will got red-ve immediately because the account that you bought has scam attempt on the past
For example bitcoin boys's case : https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=2347166.0

So I think you will got negative trust as soon as you purchase account except she grant the permission for you to purchase that account
I believe this is a misrepresentation of the ideals behind combatting account sales.

Having multiple accounts so long as it doesn't pose a threat to the forum's cleanliness in terms of scams and spam should not be a problem. Take hilariousandco & hilariousetc for example. He's not spamming. He's not scamming. He's simply using two accounts.
Decoded has a benign reason for having a second account and I would absolutely not expect anyone to send negative trust solely because of the alternate account.

TheUltraElite
Legendary

Activity: 2856
Merit: 1218

Call your grandparents and tell them you love them

View Profile WWW
November 06, 2017, 08:47:50 AM

I know that buying accounts in general is strongly frowned upon. But if there's an inactive account with a username I like, and I have managed to contact the original owner through external social media, can I purchase the account? I will publicly state that I own the account, and don't plan to do anything but on that account.

The account you talk about here simply has a username that you find yourself to like and not any other "plus point".
Now in the forum account sales only allow farming spamming and scamming according to Lauda. Now if we finely examine this then any green trusted account will only be allowed to scam others preferentially than a zero trust account.

Next you are saying that you will publicly claim that you are the new owner of the account. Darkstar also has an alt account which he/she uses for less secure connections and they also publicly claim that. Hence I dont see any problem if you do the same. The idea of the account abusing signature campaigns also goes away with this.

One thing that may be problematic is that if the person who was the original owner had some friends in the forum  and with whom they had previous trades by contacting on this forum and done on another place, or other social afflictions which Decoded will obviously not know of. Certainly we cannot expect the original owner to list down every other person whom they have done such deals. They may not always end up as green trusts and thus this is something I would not like.

However it is the sole decision of the DT2 members to decide and solve the problem. I am only giving my opinion in this regard.

R

▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██████▄▄
████████████████
▀▀▀▀█████▀▀▀█████
████████▌███▐████
▄▄▄▄█████▄▄▄█████
████████████████
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██████▀▀
LLBIT
  CRYPTO   
FUTURES
 1,000x 
LEVERAGE
COMPETITIVE
    FEES    
 INSTANT 
EXECUTION
   TRADE NOW   
Lauda
Legendary

Terminated.

View Profile WWW
November 06, 2017, 09:01:07 AM

I'm not a gatekeeper. Even if I don't tag you for something like that, that provides zero guarantee that someone else won't do it.

Now in the forum account sales only allow farming spamming and scamming according to Lauda.
Correct. No good can come of them. If you need a second account for whatever reason, just create one.

Next you are saying that you will publicly claim that you are the new owner of the account. Darkstar also has an alt account which he/she uses for less secure connections and they also publicly claim that. Hence I dont see any problem if you do the same. The idea of the account abusing signature campaigns also goes away with this.
I guess it is acceptable given that we tag it with at least neutral to a archived post admitting to the ownership of the account (and obviously given that it does not abuse any campaigns or similar).

😼 Bitcoin Core (onion)
rivoke
Legendary

Activity: 924
Merit: 1006

View Profile
November 06, 2017, 10:17:36 AM

Having multiple accounts so long as it doesn't pose a threat to the forum's cleanliness in terms of scams and spam should not be a problem. Take hilariousandco & hilariousetc for example. He's not spamming. He's not scamming. He's simply using two accounts....

hilariousandco  create his own account

Decoded is try to purchase account

These are different things and Lauda is very against with account sales ( account that being purchase )

I'm not a gatekeeper. Even if I don't tag you for something like that, that provides zero guarantee that someone else won't do it.

Ok, so I can conclude , purchasing account will be tag -ve.

Lauda
Legendary

Terminated.

View Profile WWW
November 06, 2017, 03:14:16 PM

Ok, so I can conclude , purchasing account will be tag -ve.
I would say, from my side, in >99% of the cases, but not in 100% of them. I don't believe things to be absolutely white and black; there must be some gray in between.

😼 Bitcoin Core (onion)
yojodojo21

Activity: 420
Merit: 171

View Profile
November 07, 2017, 01:34:40 AM

I Think Before doing this Thing Sir, you should contact Person who is Eligible to give you "Just" Advice if It's okay or Not.
Maybe This Wish will be Granted by Moderators and Admins Because As seen in your Trust Feedback it has more Positive Trust.
Means that you Are Trustworthy Person But Be Formal and Professional to Ask before Doing. Cheesy

I may not Have the Authority to give Advice Because my rank is Member and you are Legendary Cheesy but, That is the best Thing I can suggest.

TheUltraElite
Legendary

Activity: 2856
Merit: 1218

Call your grandparents and tell them you love them

View Profile WWW
November 07, 2017, 08:57:08 AM

I Think Before doing this Thing Sir, you should contact Person who is Eligible to give you "Just" Advice if It's okay or Not.
Account buying/selling only allows spamming shitposting farming trust and scamming. Read what has been posted above by Lauda.

Maybe This Wish will be Granted by Moderators and Admins Because As seen in your Trust Feedback it has more Positive Trust.
If a person needs an alternate account then can make a new one. Buying an account gives access to a rank which they did not achieve themselves and thus it is looked down upon.

Means that you Are Trustworthy Person But Be Formal and Professional to Ask before Doing. Cheesy
We have seen many trusted members in this forum grow their trust and then become trust farmers and scam people. The trust system is unmoderated and is in a total mess if you ask me. In this forum nobody can be trusted.
I may not Have the Authority to give Advice Because my rank is Member and you are Legendary Cheesy but, That is the best Thing I can suggest.
Your rank does not mean you dont have authority to advice anyone. Everyone is free to state their opinion.

R

▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██████▄▄
████████████████
▀▀▀▀█████▀▀▀█████
████████▌███▐████
▄▄▄▄█████▄▄▄█████
████████████████
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██████▀▀
LLBIT
  CRYPTO   
FUTURES
 1,000x 
LEVERAGE
COMPETITIVE
    FEES    
 INSTANT 
EXECUTION
   TRADE NOW   
LoyceV
Legendary

Activity: 3290
Merit: 16540

Thick-Skinned Gang Leader and Golden Feather 2021

View Profile WWW
November 08, 2017, 01:27:45 PM

Something is missing here, did you mean to say you don't plan to do anything but own that account, or "do anything but ...post... on that account"?
If you don't plan to use the account at all, what good does it do you?

I know one guy who has a neutral "this is a bought account"-tag from DT2 in his trust, and since then he's earned several green DT2-tags, and does a good job fighting spam.

The reason account sales are in general "frowned upon", and most people are against it, is because they're almost always used to spam and/or scam. This is clearly not the case here, otherwise you wouldn't publicly announce it. To avoid any confusion, you could leave mutual neutral trust to and from that account, saying: "I bought this account because I like the name".
I hate spammers and scammers, and I don't think you'll do that when you buy this account. So, if my 2 cents are worth anything, it's fine by me.

It's interesting to see the ones who "warn for Lauda" are the ones with red trust already.

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
akamit

Activity: 1484
Merit: 595

View Profile
November 08, 2017, 05:11:17 PM

I don't see any problem as long as you declare the account as your alt.
Lauda can tag the account with neutral comment that the account is a alt of Decoded. And you can also do the same.

But if the community members allow you to do this,
then we are somehow encouraging account buy/sale and others will try to take advantage.

One thing more, your email has been changed recently.
So you might need to sign a message when you will declare your bought account (if community allows).

I hope the bought account won't be used for spamming.

actmyname
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 2562
Merit: 2504

Spear the bees

View Profile WWW
November 08, 2017, 07:39:18 PM

Something is missing here, did you mean to say you don't plan to do anything but own that account, or "do anything but ...post... on that account"?
If you don't plan to use the account at all, what good does it do you?
Might be a little confusing, but here's the likely interpretation of it: "don't plan to do anything but on that account" implies that Decoded will abandon their current account and move all activity to the new one.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but that's the only way it would make sense given his post.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: