Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 06:23:26 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Electrum HELP !!!  (Read 139 times)
leotry (OP)

Activity: 24
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 09, 2017, 02:07:24 PM

Should I get my private key as i heard it is not the same as your seed just want to know incase i switch to another place like a exchange for some reason like electrum goes down or something?

and if yes how do i do that with a mac using electrum?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The Bitcoin network protocol was designed to be extremely flexible. It can be used to create timed transactions, escrow transactions, multi-signature transactions, etc. The current features of the client only hint at what will be possible in the future.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
mocacinno
Legendary

Activity: 3388
Merit: 4919

https://merel.mobi => buy facemasks with BTC/LTC

View Profile WWW
November 09, 2017, 02:08:19 PM

Should I get my private key as i heard it is not the same as your seed just want to know incase i switch to another place like a exchange for some reason like electrum goes down or something?

and if yes how do i do that with a mac using electrum?

nope.... just save the seed, that's sufficient.
The seed is used to generate a master private key.
Using a prefined derivation path, child keys are derived from this master private key.

Since both the algorithm for generating a master private key from the seed, as the way the child keys are derived from the master key are well described, there is no need to save individual child keys.

IF, some day, electrum becomes unmaintained, there are tools available to derive all child keys starting from your seed phrase. (for example: https://iancoleman.io/bip39/, whose sourcecode can be downloaded and ran on an offline machine for maximum security)

BTW: please move this topic to the correct subforum: alternative clients => electrum

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
squallw

Activity: 504
Merit: 122

View Profile
November 09, 2017, 02:20:54 PM

I generated an offline paper wallet from a linux live, so I have the private key secured with me. So i imported the key to Electrum wallet, you can import public one to view you balance only or you can import you private one to view and spend the balance.
Even Electrum stops working, you can simply use another wallet with the private key.
You can do it with seed too but I really prefer my private key.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: