Bitcoin Forum
May 20, 2024, 11:37:28 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: confused about offline paper wallet  (Read 828 times)
baggage (OP)

Activity: 46
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 19, 2013, 10:24:04 PM

I made an offline paper wallet, but what confuses me is why is my wallet still accessible on the Blockchain?

What am I doing wrong and/or misunderstanding?
deepceleron
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1032

View Profile WWW
November 19, 2013, 10:31:50 PM

The balance of your bitcoin address is public. The payments to an address and its balance are part of the public ledger that allows people to know when you have sent them a legitimate payment.

The ability to spend your bitcoins is only contained on the piece of paper.
christop

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

View Profile
November 19, 2013, 10:33:08 PM

How did you generate your paper wallet? And what do you mean by "accessible on the Blockchain"? Do you mean you see transactions being sent to your paper wallet?

Tips are always welcome: 17Z63hLi2ox4fCMhDqVJrLTJiXVcBMJpMo
Alpaca socks donations: 1sockzDWcF8mrC59CgiN7HAJm6xL7TiRW
baggage (OP)

View Profile
November 19, 2013, 10:46:25 PM

How did you generate your paper wallet? And what do you mean by "accessible on the Blockchain"? Do you mean you see transactions being sent to your paper wallet?

I generated it on the blockchain and printed it out.

I guess what I mean by accessible is that I'm still able to move coins from wallet to wallet when I log into my wallet on the blockchain.

For instance I have two wallets. I generated (printed out two paper wallet for each)... I wanted to put a bitcoin from one wallet into another wallet and
I was able to do it by just logging in.   So what I don't get is why am I able to do this if my wallets are supposed to be "offline."

Can someone hack into my wallet and take my coins? If so what good is my paper wallet? 

Sorry if I'm not being clear enough.
baggage (OP)

View Profile
November 19, 2013, 10:51:53 PM

The balance of your bitcoin address is public. The payments to an address and its balance are part of the public ledger that allows people to know when you have sent them a legitimate payment.

The ability to spend your bitcoins is only contained on the piece of paper.

Ok. It's making a little more sense.  Thank you.
deepceleron
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1032

View Profile WWW
November 19, 2013, 10:55:15 PM

A proper paper wallet is an address that only exists on paper. It is a savings account that cannot be hacked because it is not stored on a computer anywhere. I don't know what blockchain.info is calling a "paper wallet". Are you using their "my wallet" service, or just looking at addresses using the blockchain explorer part of their site?

bitaddress.org will generate one for you, using only javascript in your browser (no information is sent elsewhere). It is not part of a wallet or any online service, the private key information you calculate and print out is the only record that can spend money sent to that address, and only when it is put back into a computer. Lose the paper, lose any bitcoins sent to the address.
DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079

Gerald Davis

View Profile
November 19, 2013, 10:57:07 PM

I generated it on the blockchain and printed it out.

I guess what I mean by accessible is that I'm still able to move coins from wallet to wallet when I log into my wallet on the blockchain.

That isn't a paper wallet.  Not sure what you did or think you did but you didn't create a paper wallet.

A paper wallet is ONLY offline.  It doesn't exist ANYWHERE else.
piuk

Activity: 910
Merit: 1005

View Profile WWW
November 19, 2013, 11:17:18 PM

Blockchain.info has two different ways of printing a paper wallet

- A paper "backup" which prints the private keys and keeps the keys in the wallet. The funds will still be accessible online so does not improve security, its purpose is so you can still access you coins if something happens to the website or you forget your password.

- A "cold storage" paper wallet which prints a new private key and does not store it in the online wallet. A new address will be added to the wallet labelled (Watch Only) and can only be accessed using the key from the paper.

You want the second way, follow this tutorial https://blockchain.info/wallet/paper-wallet-tutorial-web

baggage (OP)

View Profile
November 19, 2013, 11:22:36 PM

Thank you all for the insight. Will research all of your provided links.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: