Bitcoin Forum
May 02, 2024, 12:27:31 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: speculation on the time of finding new blocks  (Read 791 times)
chenchunyu88 (OP)

Activity: 126
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
August 16, 2013, 05:26:09 PM

I am kind of wondering if there is method to estimate the time require to find a block when mining a specific block.

I am right now mining using aka Slush's pool. An interesting finding is that sometimes it takes hours (up to 10) to find a new block while other times it takes just few minutes.

If someone can estimate the time of each popular pools to find a new block at the beginning of mining, then we can switch pools to maximize the profit. I am wondering if it even possible to do that. Hope someone who knows clearly how bitcoin source code work and the mechanics of BTC can answer the question.

I am working on my PhD on Statistics so I am ready to write the prediction code once the parameters affecting the time of find new blocks are addressed. Hopefully we together can find some insights here and make a lot of BTC.   

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
There are several different types of Bitcoin clients. The most secure are full nodes like Bitcoin Core, but full nodes are more resource-heavy, and they must do a lengthy initial syncing process. As a result, lightweight clients with somewhat less security are commonly used.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Bitweasil

Activity: 420
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 16, 2013, 06:40:33 PM

It's pretty much pure luck.

Unless you can find some weaknesses in SHA256 to exploit.  But SHA256 is a pretty good approximation of a random oracle from my testing.

Need high quality, rack mountable GPU clusters for OpenCL work or password auditing?  http://www.stricture-group.com/
DebitMe
Legendary

Activity: 2786
Merit: 1011

Get Paid Crypto To Walk or Drive

View Profile
August 16, 2013, 06:45:26 PM

That is called Pool Hopping and is pretty frowned upon by not only Pool Admin, but people dedicated to individual pools.  You are essentially eating into their profits by jumping onto their pools before they find a block.  This is countered on most pools by payout structures that limit users who have not been mining for extended periods of time with the pool.

In summary, I doubt the people who actually know these statistics will easily give them up as they will lose profits from the pool they are currently mining at.  Plus, as previously stated, it is random luck to find a block.  The best way to know who will most probably get a block next is the pool with the highest hash rate.

Get paid crypto to walk or drive. Play CoinHuntWorld! Earn Hundreds Monthly!
https://coinhunt.gsc.im/IZIijYr64Q
Rannasha

Activity: 728
Merit: 500

View Profile
August 16, 2013, 09:25:14 PM

I am kind of wondering if there is method to estimate the time require to find a block when mining a specific block.

I am right now mining using aka Slush's pool. An interesting finding is that sometimes it takes hours (up to 10) to find a new block while other times it takes just few minutes.

If someone can estimate the time of each popular pools to find a new block at the beginning of mining, then we can switch pools to maximize the profit. I am wondering if it even possible to do that. Hope someone who knows clearly how bitcoin source code work and the mechanics of BTC can answer the question.

I am working on my PhD on Statistics so I am ready to write the prediction code once the parameters affecting the time of find new blocks are addressed. Hopefully we together can find some insights here and make a lot of BTC.   

Finding a block is a Poisson process, so the expected time to find a new block follows an exponential distribution. There really isn't any arcane voodoo behind it. Each hash calculated is a lottery-ticket, where the difficulty decides the probability of winning. The expected average time to find a block is given by D * 2^32 / H (D = difficulty, H = hashrate).

Many pools use a PPLNS payout system (or some other system) to prevent pool-hoppers from gaining increased returns, so it's unlikely that you can find a way to optimally select a pool. In the long run, they all give you the same expectation value for the profits, bigger pools just have less variance than smaller ones.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: