Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 10:41:33 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin scolarship  (Read 1489 times)
RedRobin2442 (OP)

Activity: 168
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 17, 2013, 09:17:16 PM

Now, I want to start off by saying I am not looking to start such an idea. While I would love to, I feel that I, as a person, am not responsible to handle such a task, but maybe a person or group of people from here in the bit-verse can go ahead and take this and run with it.

Every other day or so I read some sappy and joyful story of some teen, somewhere, who has embraced the sciences at a young age and has already proved to be a force in our planets history that has the drive and ability to change our peoples and planets future for the better. Many of us came to bitcoin with a similar dream of making a world where currency is not bound by borders, banks and governments and allow the people to use the fruit of their labors to benefit themselves as well as their homeland without the hassles of traditional banking and treasury.

What I propose, is that a very well established member such as (these are just the first names that pop into my head) Charlie Sherm of BitInstant or Gareet (did I spell that right) of Ozcoin, to setup a wallet as a donation wallet that will be dispersed to verified applicants on a set scheduled like traditional scholarships.  I would imagine that CompSci, electrical enginerring and other sciences would be the fields to offer to, but even the finance field could benifit from this.

We have hundreds of projects and securities here in the bitcoin world that have thousands if not close to millions tied up in them with little to no security, yet I find it hard that we all cant send 0.10btc to a single address once a year to give many the chance for a higher education that they normally could not obtain with traditional education funding methods.

Please respond. While I said I do not want to head this project, I do offer both coin and my effort to help make it a reality. Also, while you are here, this is my personal candidate for such a scholarship.
http://www.tampabay.com/news/education/k12/budding-scientist-headed-on-a-summer-trip-to-nasa-lab/2126473

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Even in the event that an attacker gains more than 50% of the network's computational power, only transactions sent by the attacker could be reversed or double-spent. The network would not be destroyed.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Welsh
Staff
Legendary

Activity: 3262
Merit: 4110

View Profile
June 17, 2013, 10:47:04 PM

Sounds like a interesting project. You would want to send them a message/email personally though I think.
RedRobin2442 (OP)

Activity: 168

View Profile
June 18, 2013, 01:24:30 AM

Sounds like a interesting project. You would want to send them a message/email personally though I think.

I would imagine as such. I just want to get a public opinion on the subject and maybe get some other ideas for people to be the trustee of the account. The reason why I dont wan to head it is that I have made bad investments in regards to the use of bitcoin, and I feel that while I would love to fully assist in this project, I dont not want to be the one who has access to the coins for both the integrity of the scholarship fund, but also the fiscal responsibility of such a duty. The mismanage something like this is the equivalent of dashing out a bright persons dreams and greatness and I for one, cannot assure such a thing. I will however draft up a letter of intent to the above mentioned people in hopes that they and possibly others will answer the call to enable the youths of the world to achive greatness that mankind can benefit from.
The basic idea I had was something like the EFF, but where the E was for education and the two F's for, Fucking Funding. Maybe not as crass, but the point is to create an accountable, established scholarship fund for math, science and the progress of mankind.

lixiaolai
a friend of time
VIP

Activity: 169

View Profile
June 18, 2013, 03:15:44 AM

Now, I want to start off by saying I am not looking to start such an idea. While I would love to, I feel that I, as a person, am not responsible to handle such a task, but maybe a person or group of people from here in the bit-verse can go ahead and take this and run with it.

Every other day or so I read some sappy and joyful story of some teen, somewhere, who has embraced the sciences at a young age and has already proved to be a force in our planets history that has the drive and ability to change our peoples and planets future for the better. Many of us came to bitcoin with a similar dream of making a world where currency is not bound by borders, banks and governments and allow the people to use the fruit of their labors to benefit themselves as well as their homeland without the hassles of traditional banking and treasury.

What I propose, is that a very well established member such as (these are just the first names that pop into my head) Charlie Sherm of BitInstant or Gareet (did I spell that right) of Ozcoin, to setup a wallet as a donation wallet that will be dispersed to verified applicants on a set scheduled like traditional scholarships.  I would imagine that CompSci, electrical enginerring and other sciences would be the fields to offer to, but even the finance field could benifit from this.

We have hundreds of projects and securities here in the bitcoin world that have thousands if not close to millions tied up in them with little to no security, yet I find it hard that we all cant send 0.10btc to a single address once a year to give many the chance for a higher education that they normally could not obtain with traditional education funding methods.

Please respond. While I said I do not want to head this project, I do offer both coin and my effort to help make it a reality. Also, while you are here, this is my personal candidate for such a scholarship.
http://www.tampabay.com/news/education/k12/budding-scientist-headed-on-a-summer-trip-to-nasa-lab/2126473

I'm interested in your idea.

inblockchain.com
moltenmich

Activity: 130

View Profile WWW
June 18, 2013, 11:00:47 PM

i like the idea. I would donate so long as there is a clear method of choosing the candidates. i would also like it to be headed up by people that can represent BTC well.

█ Professional Design & Multimedia █

michpalmer.com
cr1776
Legendary

Activity: 4032
Merit: 1299

View Profile
June 19, 2013, 04:10:48 PM

This is a good idea. We did a similar project with an Internet company in the scholarship area about ten-twelve years ago (sold 8-9 years ago).  Some thoughts:
1. This is good publicity for btc
2. It helps to have one larger prize -eg 10 BTC - and  a few smaller ones - eg 1 BTC.
3. There needs to be some kind a entry such as an essay on bitcoin and how it could change the world or something like that.
4. There are scholarship databases out there that it should be added to.
5. You could limit it to CS-y/stem types, but that does limit the field. Not limiting it expands the reach. There are two goals here: helping a student and getting kids aware of bitcoin. I believe the more the better.
6. You want to specify it would be paid in BTC (or not)
7. Is English required for this? Could expand it later. Are there specific countries or is it open anywhere?
8. Are there age and/or educational restrictions? Eg  the college age can vary by location. Say 17-19 at time of enrollment, in an accredited 4 year or longer program?

You can publish the essays (if you want) to raise awareness.

More later perhaps.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: