Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 12:10:44 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: RIPPLE: Bitstamp Destination Tags now include Bitstamp account #  (Read 1824 times)
Marbit (OP)

Activity: 686
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 14, 2013, 05:19:06 PM
Last edit: June 14, 2013, 05:42:11 PM by Marbit

I noticed today that Bitstamp changed my destination tag to be 9 + my Bitstamp account number. Since destination tags can be publicly viewed, doesn't this seem like a bad idea? To give out 50% of the login information for my Bitstamp account? It seems to me that it is just bad practice to provide tags that are linked to our login information. I am bewildered as to why Bitstamp would make such a change.

Am i overreacting?  Huh

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
In order to get the maximum amount of activity points possible, you just need to post once per day on average. Skipping days is OK as long as you maintain the average.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
mr_random
Legendary

Activity: 1274
Merit: 1001

View Profile
June 14, 2013, 05:24:13 PM

Isn't the bitstamp account number just an incremented integer for each new customer (ie something predictable and easy to guess, unlike user email addreses).
Marbit (OP)

View Profile
June 14, 2013, 05:26:34 PM

Isn't the bitstamp account number just an incremented integer for each new customer (ie something predictable and easy to guess, unlike user email addreses).

I have no idea. That's one of the reasons I ask. It just seemed to me that exposing logins to the public is just something that there is never any cause for.

It's also pretty uncool that Bitstamp didn't tell anyone about this. People already have their destination tags set up in their contacts... hopefully IOUs sent to the old tags will be credited properly. If not.... really fucked up.
MAbtc

Activity: 826
Merit: 508

View Profile
June 14, 2013, 06:19:00 PM

https://ripple.com/wiki/Require_a_destination_tag_for_inbound_payments#Mapping_suggestions

According to the Ripple wiki, tags should be random and not sequential. I just don't get it.

I'm probably more concerned about the prospect of old destination tags not getting supported. If that happens without adequate notification, shit show will ensue, and people will be very unhappy with Bitstamp.
MAbtc

Activity: 826
Merit: 508

View Profile
June 14, 2013, 06:31:55 PM

Do you mean incremented like, sequential? Account numbers aren't sequential.
hazek
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1002

View Profile
June 18, 2013, 09:56:32 AM
Last edit: June 18, 2013, 10:39:04 AM by hazek

Thank you for raising this concern. We fixed the issue and the new destination tags are now entirely random numbers. Old destination tags will still work for a while.

If you should experience any problems with them, please contact our support at: https://www.bitstamp.net/support/

My personality type: INTJ - please forgive my weaknesses (Not naturally in tune with others feelings; may be insensitive at times, tend to respond to conflict with logic and reason, tend to believe I'm always right)

If however you enjoyed my post: 15j781DjuJeVsZgYbDVt2NZsGrWKRWFHpp
xilin

Activity: 51
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 19, 2013, 06:15:06 AM

Thank you for raising this concern. We fixed the issue and the new destination tags are now entirely random numbers. Old destination tags will still work for a while.

If you should experience any problems with them, please contact our support at: https://www.bitstamp.net/support/

How long is the old one can be used? I can see that the deposit dt in textbox is different from the button that the button is still showing the old one. What's more, when i tried to send btc to the new one in ripple client, it just send back and charged some fee.
Will we get a notice when the change begin?
Marbit (OP)

View Profile
June 19, 2013, 08:06:19 PM

That's great to hear! I'm glad you guys fixed this so quickly. It makes me feel better not having login information exposed on the ripple ledger!  Smiley

How long is the old one can be used? I can see that the deposit dt in textbox is different from the button that the button is still showing the old one. What's more, when i tried to send btc to the new one in ripple client, it just send back and charged some fee.
Will we get a notice when the change begin?
^^^ Could you elaborate on how this happened? What "button"? Was it the new random 8 digit DT? Was it during the short time that they were showing dt=0? Was it the 9+account number?

I would also like to know how long the old tags can be used.
hazek
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1002

View Profile
June 20, 2013, 12:03:55 PM

The old tags will remain active for one more month.

My personality type: INTJ - please forgive my weaknesses (Not naturally in tune with others feelings; may be insensitive at times, tend to respond to conflict with logic and reason, tend to believe I'm always right)

If however you enjoyed my post: 15j781DjuJeVsZgYbDVt2NZsGrWKRWFHpp
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: