Bitcoin Forum
April 19, 2024, 11:31:14 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Hello. I am new and confused, could use some help  (Read 285 times)
JoKeR 00 (OP)

Activity: 2
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 10, 2017, 05:21:18 PM

Bought a coin 4 years ago.

have address and identifier recorded.
we can move it from coinbase to the wallet, but we DONT KNOW where the wallet is housed or located.

-are we online / offline?
-do we need to be off coinbase when btg drops on the 12th?
- how do we transfer from wallet to coinbase?
-should we just get a wallet on blockchain and put it there.
-how do i access the bth everyone got in september and move it around? if we were on coinbase, did we get that free bth?

sorry for the noobish questions, but i am a n00b

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"Governments are good at cutting off the heads of a centrally controlled networks like Napster, but pure P2P networks like Gnutella and Tor seem to be holding their own." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Casy

Activity: 149
Merit: 22

🔴🔵 FoxMixer.com 🔵🔴

View Profile WWW
November 10, 2017, 05:27:14 PM

we can move it from coinbase to the wallet, but we DONT KNOW where the wallet is housed or located.

-how do i access the bth everyone got in september and move it around? if we were on coinbase, did we get that free bth?

What do you mean by "the wallet"? There are dozens of wallets out there. Do you already use a specific wallet?
If you want to control your funds and want to know that your funds are located at your own computer, which is what I read from your question, you could use Bitcoin Core as a wallet.

Just generate an address there and send your funds from coinbase to this address. Then, you are in perfect control of your funds.

AdolfinWolf
Legendary

Activity: 1946
Merit: 1427

View Profile
November 10, 2017, 05:32:25 PM

If your wallet is coinbase, as you stated on your next question, then you are "Online" as it is a webwallet.

No, it is already too late for that. BTG split has been recorded a month ago, so wherever your bitcoin was at that moment, ( i presume coinbase ) will be where your BTG will be.

BTG snapshot block 491,407 occurring approximately on October 23, 11pm PT (6am UTC)

If you mean blockchain.info, then no, i would advise getting a hardware wallet from here, https://bitcoin.org/en/choose-your-wallet I personally use https://electrum.org/#home

That fully depends on coinbase, and if they support the fork. https://support.coinbase.com/customer/portal/articles/2892196-bitcoin-gold-faq

Which they DONT right now.

JoKeR 00 (OP)

Activity: 2

View Profile
November 10, 2017, 05:35:50 PM

on our original paper work screen shot from the btc we have a "button" under  the identifier/ password field that says open wallet. id is filed in pass is blank.

is it true we need to keep the btc off coinbase to get any forked coins?
where do they go ( like bth, where is its address, we never got one)?
then how do we move it back to coinbase to put cash in bank acct?

thanks
MandyViki

Activity: 72

View Profile
November 10, 2017, 05:37:01 PM

You are on a online wallet. Offline wallets are on your computer/mobile and you DO KNOW its location

Whichever wallet says will give you free btg, you will need to store your btc before they freeze the transactions. When the fork happens, it will automatically award you a similar balance in btg, if they declared they will do it. Some were offering and some plainly said they wont include any fork coins. Coinbase was more in support of Segwit 2x. I dont know its stance on btg.

You take the deposit address from coinbase and enter it in the send address of your wallet. with the amount you wish to send and the fee to be paid to miners, which would decide its priority

Its a personal preference. Some use online wallets. some use offline wallets. and some only go for trezor/ledger.

if you have bch balance and a receiving address for it, you can make the transaction happen. I dont know whether coinbase awarded free fork coins or not.

Feel free to check again if I got any of your question incorrectly.
Casy

Activity: 149
Merit: 22

🔴🔵 FoxMixer.com 🔵🔴

View Profile WWW
November 10, 2017, 05:41:46 PM

Well, coinbase owns the private keys and won't reveal them to you. So, it's basically their decision if they allow you to spend any kind of forked coins.
If you are worried about future forks and want to be able to spend your coins on any branch, then make sure to own the private keys to the addresses where your coins are deposited.
You can use Bitcoin Core for this, as an example.

Either coinbase doesn't care and leaves them wherever they are, or they use them on their own.

Simply by sending it out of your wallet to a coinbase-owned address. Depends on the wallet that you use.

AdolfinWolf
Legendary

Activity: 1946
Merit: 1427

View Profile
November 10, 2017, 06:09:59 PM

on our original paper work screen shot from the btc we have a "button" under  the identifier/ password field that says open wallet. id is filed in pass is blank.

thanks

They go into your coinbase wallet. Taking the bitcoin off coinbase won't give you the BTG, you will need the private key for that, and i don't think you have the one for your coinbase wallet.

( Which means you are not going to be able to access your BTG, since coinbase is not going to support the fork ).

https://support.coinbase.com/customer/portal/articles/2892196-bitcoin-gold-faq

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: