Bitcoin Forum
April 23, 2024, 10:44:05 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 507 508 509 510 511 512 513 514 515 516 517 518 519 520 521 522 523 524 525 526 527 528 529 530 531 532 533 534 535 536 537 538 539 540 541 542 543 544 545 546 547 548 549 550 551 552 553 554 555 556 [557] 558 559 560 561 562 563 564 565 566 567 568 569 570 571 572 573 574 575 576 577 578 579 580 581 582 583 584 585 586 587 588 589 590 591 592 593 594 595 596 597 598 599 600 601 602 603 604 605 606 607 ... 844 »
  Print  
Author Topic: BiblePay | 10% to Orphan-Charity | RANDOMX MINING | Sanctuaries (Masternodes)  (Read 243126 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic. (345 posts by 1+ user deleted.)
bible_pay (OP)

Activity: 1176
Merit: 215

Jesus is the King of Kings and Lord of Lords

View Profile WWW
November 20, 2018, 12:25:59 AM

Here are some I found there:

1. In leaderboard (for example https://biblepay-central.org/en/podc/user/1987887/ ) Next Payment Reward wrong, is not matching
2. Next payment superblock not matching
3. User Base information (RAC, Biblepay RAC, mag, utxo am, weight, task weight) not matching, old data
4. In history section, old data
5. This user https://biblepay-central.org/en/podc/user/2024825/ has no data at all in leaderboard
6. On main page, section exchanges (right up corner), not all exchanges are mentioned there, USD price per BBP is wrong, volume as well (and too much decimal places)

Thanks.

Looks like the data download from the main pool is the reason for the podc problems.
The BC site is getting all of the podc data from the main pool via a http download (action api_superblock), but the download gets a timeout :/
Maybe the data amount is to big for the main pool script to generate the csv file.
Can't do much here :/

Didn't hear about that, let me take a look at the api.

🕇 BiblePay 🕇
🕇  Announcement | ForumSlackDiscordRedditTwitter | SouthXChange  🕇
🕇 A Christian cryptocurrency | Supporting orphans through a decentralized autonomous charity 🕇

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
bible_pay (OP)

View Profile WWW
November 20, 2018, 12:30:03 AM

1. In leaderboard (for example https://biblepay-central.org/en/podc/user/1987887/ ) Next Payment Reward wrong, is not matching
3. User Base information (RAC, Biblepay RAC, mag, utxo am, weight, task weight) not matching, old data
5. This user https://biblepay-central.org/en/podc/user/2024825/ has no data at all in leaderboard
6. On main page, section exchanges (right up corner), not all exchanges are mentioned there, USD price per BBP is wrong, volume as well (and too much decimal places)

Thanks.

Looks like the data download from the main pool is the reason for the podc problems.
The BC site is getting all of the podc data from the main pool via a http download (action api_superblock), but the download gets a timeout :/
Maybe the data amount is to big for the main pool script to generate the csv file.

Fixed; sorry about that; data response size was bigger than the allowed buffer; Fixed.

🕇 BiblePay 🕇
🕇 A Christian cryptocurrency | Supporting orphans through a decentralized autonomous charity 🕇
SVK Noko

Activity: 267
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 20, 2018, 07:03:30 AM

Thanks.

Fixed; sorry about that; data response size was bigger than the allowed buffer; Fixed.

Thanks.
Task weight shows still zero for everyone. Could you fix that too?
inblue

Activity: 462
Merit: 103

View Profile
November 20, 2018, 08:05:02 AM

Byteball pushed this notice in the client

Dear WCG cruncher,

First of all, thank you for donating your computing power for good! We recently won the THOR challenge because of all of your hard work, you deserve a big compliment for that.

Perhaps partly because of this challenge, we have recently observed some users who have connected a very large number of devices. While awesome for WCG this does defeat part of the purpose of why we’re giving away Bytes through this initiative. We want to introduce as many people as possible to Byteball, not distribute a large part of the undistributed funds to professional computing power aggregators.

To balance it out a little bit we are going to introduce diminishing returns to the reward schedule. Starting Nov 20, anyone who has more than 40 devices connected will see a drop off in Bytes rewarded for the devices above 40. You’ll still get rewarded full WCG points for all devices.

Thanks for your understanding and continuous support of this initiative. Together we have donated more than 2000 years of computing time!

Happy crunching

The Byteball Team

So, be careful running virtual machines, multi-client setups (especially this), or having a ton of Android devices (like I have).

I'm not familiar, but couldn't those with 40+ machines just make a new CPID?
capulo

Activity: 491

View Profile
November 20, 2018, 09:35:45 AM

yes they could Smiley
daemonko

Activity: 56

View Profile
November 20, 2018, 10:30:59 AM

yes they could Smiley
another very "intelligent" move... Smiley
thesnat21

Activity: 490
Merit: 4

View Profile WWW
November 20, 2018, 11:19:20 AM

Thanks.
Task weight shows still zero for everyone. Could you fix that too?

Task weight is 0 for everyone, currently we are in DR mode 1,  since task weight for WCG is more difficult to pull.

please see this thread for more details:
https://forum.biblepay.org/index.php?topic=318.0
thesnat21

View Profile WWW
November 20, 2018, 11:56:57 AM

Moving a discussion from the community thread over here..

thesnat21, thanks for the response. I agree it can be a vicious circle. I don't want to post there because the environment doesn't seem aligned with what I'd post. But if I don't post, then I can't help change the environment. I'll have to meditate on this more, maybe I need to be the change I want to see. For now, this thread feels more open to these kinds of discussion without concern for censorship based on a single person's perspective. The censorship for the perception of not being "positive" about the project does bug me, especially when the person doing the censoring often goes on the attack themselves?

Still working on this,  but I also believe there is also a point when someone breaks after being attacked routinely...

Rob had an interesting perspective, and I've been trying to figure out how to articulate it...  Basically he looks at BBP as a business, and he's the CEO(at present until we are large enough), though he seems to be delegating more which is good.  So people attacking the integrity of the project, he is perceiving as an attack on the "business" and responding, trying to keep our reputation in tact.   Methods do matter and this is a subject we are talking through.

He believes we can handle any negative reports, if it is presented in a professional way. 
Here is an example from him: " Rob, could you please audit the orphan payments this month and give us a report, as we believe there is something strange going on, thanks.  If I didn’t follow up, post again saying: Could you please look into this, we didn’t receive a reply.  I can assure you, there would have been a night-day difference in the handling of this."

Even the news media has to say "allegedly",  as to not get sued for slander...  It's a strange world when even someone on video committing a crime is an "alleged" suspect... But we don't offer remotely the same to people on the internet,  it's much easier to accuse than to ask.  (and being an "impersonal" interaction make this easier as well I believe)

I notice it seems like a small number of people are responsible for the vast majority of the posts, which are very technically detailed, and I'm not sure who the audience most of you are speaking to.
Shouldn't there be more diverse activity for a 500+ page thread?

Actually there are around 800 pages when you count the old thread. Very interesting observation! I agree, this is something very strange for this coin... Other coins of this market cap have many many times fewer posts, and much bigger coins have a lot of diversity in the posts, from a lot of different users. So BiblePay seems almost like a cult of loyal followers, but very few of them, but they are very active. The coin getting more and more complicated only helps to further isolate the cult from potential new members. But I still believe there are a lot of lurkers who only ever read and not post, but they read often and follow the developments.

I'm not sure how to contribute on the main ANN thread. It feels like there's no room there.

Could you elaborate on this? How is there no room in that thread? Is it because of Rob who instills fear of posting, or something else?

Still, it feels like there's a gap somewhere, but I can't put my finger on it..

Well said, I actually feel that way too, I just can't understand what I'm feeling, but this phrase of yours "there's a gap somewhere" solidified my thoughts. I think so too, but I also don't know what it is. It's maybe related to what I wrote in the first paragraph above. I follow many projects too, and neither of them feels even remotely like BiblePay.

Well, I think the word cult is too strong, and not exactly appropriate. It just seems with a lack of diversity, things kind of become a self-feeding closed loop. This has been my observation throughout life, not limited to BBP. When I read the main thread, it's mostly reports from "worker bees", what the main core of people are working on. But I'm having trouble piecing it all together into a cohesive whole.

I don't have any problem with Rob, and have a deep feeling of wanting to help him, to help the project (I do wish he'd chill out some). It's hard when you take the mantle of responsibility for something. It can lead to all kinds of control issues. Getting a project to thrive always means letting more people get involved, which means letting go to some extent. It's difficult, especially for IT folks, and when you personally care about the outcome. This is where surrender to God becomes very helpful, like "I don't want this project to succeed, without divine approval, and I can't know what that is ahead of time." That's how I see it.

I thought about that "gap" more. What I see is, as you said, is an intense concentration of posts by the core folks, and then what feels like a moat before it gets to people like me. It kind of feels like being on the outside. You need the core for functioning, but you also need a bigger involvement to grow.  It's vital to a project's (any project's) health to bring in new people. Being on the "inside" all the time, it's too easy to forget one's "beginner mind". It will actually be impossible to retain this being very involved in the project, which is why it's vital to always have newbies, and not deride them for needing "hand-holding". It's hard to account for how damaging that is, or how many people just walk away after getting the feeling of not being honored and wanted.

I'm still new enough to have that kind of mind, and that's what I bring to each of the projects I'm involved with. If I can't succinctly explain what a project is to my parents, or someone at the supermarket without the jargon like PoBH and such, that's a sign that it's going to be hard to grow without more focus. I do writing on the side, and it's important to have an "elevator pitch", a 20 second explanation for the endeavor. I would say for BBP, it should just be the fundamental hope to bring genuine Christian values to cryptocurrency. It doesn't matter if it's orphans or widows, that's not the heart of it. It's the hope. I think that gets obscured somewhat. (see comment about use cases at bottom).

Personally, I think the Dash model doesn't help. It seems to me to be very non-democratic, and difficult to interface with the project's values as I seem them. But I realize that's already set in stone. Some other projects don't have such formal duties, and when it's time for an exchange, it's just asked that people donate crypto when interested in a new exchange. It seems more inclusive and free-flowing, and community-driven. And if people don't want to fund it, then it doesn't happen. Nobody takes ultimate responsibility. Here, it seems very formal (maybe the project's size needs that?), and like BBP is employment for some. I just can't wrap my mind around things like IT and marketing budgets. They're needed, but on a continual basis every month? It's as if BBP is an employment opportunity, which I think looks odd from the outside--the haves and have-nots. The expenses always seem tied to the same few people always spinning off new ideas that cost bbp to implement. Sure, Rob says step up if you want to be involved, but frankly it's not a very open environment at present and I question to what degree he means that. And I'm not sure the core group will allow the space for that to happen, which can really hamper long-term growth. A project this size should have at least a dozen people cranking out code, which would allow for more volunteer opportunities and lessen the "budget".

Thanks for your feedback and attention. I wouldn't put this much thought into it if I didn't see a lot of promise for this coin.

Edit: One thing I think BBP is missing is use cases for the coin. It kind of functions as a currency for the core group, but why would your average Joe or Jane Smith use the coin, other than as an investment? It kind of seems like the coin's use, outside the core group, is lost. This is a big problem for a lot of crypto, but really apparent here.

I agree on the use case,  this is something we could use help in...
If you want to help us with that,  we could use someone to do Due Diligence on Debit cards for BiblePay, and/or finding a Christian merchant who sells bibles and would agree to integrate with us to accept BiblePay in their storefront.   These are projects on our roadmap, and even having some of the initial steps done would further our utility goals.   When the time comes, Rob offere dto help with the integration as well.  (I would offer whatever assistance I could.)

I've pointed out some of the posts here to Rob, and he agrees your posts/concerns/comments are welcome in the main thread, and he pledges not to judge anyone for not being "in the know"!  I think this is a good discussion and may bring more attention and openness/thought to the project.  And look forward to your contributions!

In Rob's words: We forgot how valuable new user opinions are, because we became advanced, but still pledge to be malleable enough to be children at heart going forward

slovakia

Activity: 770
Merit: 100

View Profile
November 20, 2018, 12:44:11 PM

New discussion thread / concept...  Proof Of Giving

https://forum.biblepay.org/index.php?topic=319.msg4700#msg4700

Please read over the concept on the wiki, and provide feedback.   

Again this is a pre-implementation discussion, trying to gauge feedback.  I believe this concept would simplify things quite a bit, and would replace the current distributed computing process.

I gave it up after few words....... https://wiki.biblepay.org/Proof-of-Giving  Roll Eyes

capulo

Activity: 491

View Profile
November 20, 2018, 01:36:59 PM

finally good volume on exchanges... Smiley
but not soo good time (btc fall)
daemonko

Activity: 56

View Profile
November 20, 2018, 01:46:59 PM

Again this is a pre-implementation discussion, trying to gauge feedback.  I believe this concept would simplify things quite a bit, and would replace the current distributed computing process.

I gave it up after few words....... https://wiki.biblepay.org/Proof-of-Giving  Roll Eyes

me too Smiley i think i had enough of all these proofs and game rules changes... and price will soon go to 4 * 10^-8, then 3, 2, 1 and it seems to me it does not look good at all...
thesnat21

View Profile WWW
November 20, 2018, 02:21:47 PM

me too Smiley i think i had enough of all these proofs and game rules changes... and price will soon go to 4 * 10^-8, then 3, 2, 1 and it seems to me it does not look good at all...

daemonko, whats your native language?

I think this concept could be good,  will be easier to participate and mine.
bible_pay (OP)

View Profile WWW
November 20, 2018, 02:38:41 PM

New discussion thread / concept...  Proof Of Giving

Again this is a pre-implementation discussion, trying to gauge feedback.  I believe this concept would simplify things quite a bit, and would replace the current distributed computing process.

I gave it up after few words....... https://wiki.biblepay.org/Proof-of-Giving  Roll Eyes

I realize a lot of people may at first, tend to think "What is BiblePay doing, making another change" - and your intuition is telling you this because you are viewing it as a hassle - or maybe even an environment that would trip up our growth.

But let offer more possibilities for discussion:

1)  We moved to PODC from POBH because our 'botnet' would not upgrade on time (risking a fork for us when we had updates), and the botnet was greedy (taking money from the poor giving to the rich), and the POBH plain algorithm couldnt do anything about it without some type of UTXO punishment involved (which we didnt have).  However, POBH did have the advantage of "easy adoption" - It was very easy to install the wallet and run an integrated miner - remember this aspect.....

2) When we moved to PODC, it was innovative and our price was still high, so it appeared to be worth the effort to switch.

3) Then we added this 20BBP UTXO stake requirement, which makes it even harder to get started for newbies.

Now we are experiencing attrition, and people are telling me we are too complicated to set-up.

Please consider POG for those reasons.  If its easy to set up, we can grow as a community.  Theoretically, a larger community will have more investors over the long term and should therefore allow us to eventually recover in price.  We need to shoot for 10,000 users.  At this point I believe we are shrinking by a user or two per day.  We need to be growing by 3-4 users per day.

And in summary, I admit this - I'm a neutral person - I'm not going to hide when something is a failure.  I admit right here that I believe we made a mistake by voting in the team requirements changes.  It didn't help.  Anyone who wants to use biblepay appears to not mind changing the team.  So what Im saying is we should be adapting and rolling with the punches.

🕇 BiblePay 🕇
inblue

Activity: 462
Merit: 103

View Profile
November 20, 2018, 02:54:00 PM

thesnat21, thanks for the response. I agree it can be a vicious circle. I don't want to post there because the environment doesn't seem aligned with what I'd post. But if I don't post, then I can't help change the environment. I'll have to meditate on this more, maybe I need to be the change I want to see. For now, this thread feels more open to these kinds of discussion without concern for censorship based on a single person's perspective. The censorship for the perception of not being "positive" about the project does bug me, especially when the person doing the censoring often goes on the attack themselves?

I notice it seems like a small number of people are responsible for the vast majority of the posts, which are very technically detailed, and I'm not sure who the audience most of you are speaking to.
Shouldn't there be more diverse activity for a 500+ page thread?

Actually there are around 800 pages when you count the old thread. Very interesting observation! I agree, this is something very strange for this coin... Other coins of this market cap have many many times fewer posts, and much bigger coins have a lot of diversity in the posts, from a lot of different users. So BiblePay seems almost like a cult of loyal followers, but very few of them, but they are very active. The coin getting more and more complicated only helps to further isolate the cult from potential new members. But I still believe there are a lot of lurkers who only ever read and not post, but they read often and follow the developments.

I'm not sure how to contribute on the main ANN thread. It feels like there's no room there.

Could you elaborate on this? How is there no room in that thread? Is it because of Rob who instills fear of posting, or something else?

Still, it feels like there's a gap somewhere, but I can't put my finger on it..

Well said, I actually feel that way too, I just can't understand what I'm feeling, but this phrase of yours "there's a gap somewhere" solidified my thoughts. I think so too, but I also don't know what it is. It's maybe related to what I wrote in the first paragraph above. I follow many projects too, and neither of them feels even remotely like BiblePay.

Well, I think the word cult is too strong, and not exactly appropriate. It just seems with a lack of diversity, things kind of become a self-feeding closed loop. This has been my observation throughout life, not limited to BBP. When I read the main thread, it's mostly reports from "worker bees", what the main core of people are working on. But I'm having trouble piecing it all together into a cohesive whole.

I don't have any problem with Rob, and have a deep feeling of wanting to help him, to help the project (I do wish he'd chill out some). It's hard when you take the mantle of responsibility for something. It can lead to all kinds of control issues. Getting a project to thrive always means letting more people get involved, which means letting go to some extent. It's difficult, especially for IT folks, and when you personally care about the outcome. This is where surrender to God becomes very helpful, like "I don't want this project to succeed, without divine approval, and I can't know what that is ahead of time." That's how I see it.

I thought about that "gap" more. What I see is, as you said, is an intense concentration of posts by the core folks, and then what feels like a moat before it gets to people like me. It kind of feels like being on the outside. You need the core for functioning, but you also need a bigger involvement to grow.  It's vital to a project's (any project's) health to bring in new people. Being on the "inside" all the time, it's too easy to forget one's "beginner mind". It will actually be impossible to retain this being very involved in the project, which is why it's vital to always have newbies, and not deride them for needing "hand-holding". It's hard to account for how damaging that is, or how many people just walk away after getting the feeling of not being honored and wanted.

I'm still new enough to have that kind of mind, and that's what I bring to each of the projects I'm involved with. If I can't succinctly explain what a project is to my parents, or someone at the supermarket without the jargon like PoBH and such, that's a sign that it's going to be hard to grow without more focus. I do writing on the side, and it's important to have an "elevator pitch", a 20 second explanation for the endeavor. I would say for BBP, it should just be the fundamental hope to bring genuine Christian values to cryptocurrency. It doesn't matter if it's orphans or widows, that's not the heart of it. It's the hope. I think that gets obscured somewhat. (see comment about use cases at bottom).

Personally, I think the Dash model doesn't help. It seems to me to be very non-democratic, and difficult to interface with the project's values as I seem them. But I realize that's already set in stone. Some other projects don't have such formal duties, and when it's time for an exchange, it's just asked that people donate crypto when interested in a new exchange. It seems more inclusive and free-flowing, and community-driven. And if people don't want to fund it, then it doesn't happen. Nobody takes ultimate responsibility. Here, it seems very formal (maybe the project's size needs that?), and like BBP is employment for some. I just can't wrap my mind around things like IT and marketing budgets. They're needed, but on a continual basis every month? It's as if BBP is an employment opportunity, which I think looks odd from the outside--the haves and have-nots. The expenses always seem tied to the same few people always spinning off new ideas that cost bbp to implement. Sure, Rob says step up if you want to be involved, but frankly it's not a very open environment at present and I question to what degree he means that. And I'm not sure the core group will allow the space for that to happen, which can really hamper long-term growth. A project this size should have at least a dozen people cranking out code, which would allow for more volunteer opportunities and lessen the "budget".

Thanks for your feedback and attention. I wouldn't put this much thought into it if I didn't see a lot of promise for this coin.

Edit: One thing I think BBP is missing is use cases for the coin. It kind of functions as a currency for the core group, but why would your average Joe or Jane Smith use the coin, other than as an investment? It kind of seems like the coin's use, outside the core group, is lost. This is a big problem for a lot of crypto, but really apparent here.

It shows that you're a writer. Smiley Not because of the length, but the quality of words. You have good points, I nodded all the way through.

like BBP is employment for some

This is interesting, I think you are right, the people in BBP look more like employees of a company than freelancers. But that is mostly true in Dash too. Hopefully PoG could change that.
bible_pay (OP)

View Profile WWW
November 20, 2018, 03:07:51 PM

Reminder to discuss POG:
https://forum.biblepay.org/index.php?topic=319.new#new

Also I see we have a ton of Proposals in pool.biblepay.org that are not voted on (someone did vote on one) - see proposals in wallet or in pool and please vote sancs.  (We have 8.5 more days before the superblock).

🕇 BiblePay 🕇
thesnat21

View Profile WWW
November 20, 2018, 03:11:09 PM

Reminder to discuss POG:

Also I see we have a ton of Proposals in pool.biblepay.org that are not voted on (someone did vote on one) - see proposals in wallet or in pool and please vote sancs.  (We have 8.5 more days before the superblock).

When does voting for superblocks end?
tybiboune

Activity: 313
Merit: 8

View Profile
November 20, 2018, 03:23:32 PM

Hi everyone!

A few comments here, if I'm allowed....

First of all, I'm getting really tired of those "fights" on this discussion thread. It really looks like angry teens fighting, with often silly and unproved arguments, and it mostly makes the project look like something not attractive at all. Especially concerning the purpose and name of the project... Really disappointing.

Then, concerning the "Proof of Giving"... Maybe someone will give a simple and clear explanation of how this actually works (not with specific terms, eventually created for the purpose of the project, but with general accessible vocabulary) ("tithe"?? really? we're talking about "tithe"? I'm not native English but I'm fluent, and I had to check the translation for this word...). Then people will be able to understand how it's supposed to work. But for now, I get really lost in the explanations on the wiki page Sad That's for the "simplification" part Smiley Maybe it will actually be easier to start working with the BiblePay project using that new "algorithm", but I do believe that the "easy" part of it has to come from the applications that allow a new member to create a new wallet and start the mining process. Give that "Proof of Giving", "Proof of Distributed Computing" or "Proof of Waking Up Early In the Morning" names won't change anything, as long as the user has to go through a fastidious process to start it all.
The PoDC concept is not bad at all, the fact that new users have to get to a certain amount of staked BBP to be able to get their 100% reward is smart and good too, it would just all be clearer if we had one modern and stylish application that configures everything in a few clicks, and then clearly shows what to expect (what you get from that podcstatus.php one user posted, but more "synthetic", for example using some gauges to show the current status, the estimated delay before going "full PODC", and some red/light checkboxes to show whether BOINC is correctly linked and everything).
This application could even be used to give members access to those lovely photos of the orphans and the helped people that benefit from our actions, and also to access some specific docs (accounting and such).

No member would ever ask those neverending "I registered few days ago but I cannot see my xxxx info on the pool/biblepay-central and I'm not receiving any BBP yet, how can I be sure that I did everything right?"
And the global feeling will be more friendly and welcoming, less hardcore-techie geek (not saying that the members are not very welcoming, I did feel very welcome when I joined the community few months ago, and people were very helpful to guide me through the hassle of setting everything right).

I'm 100% sure that focusing on this aspect would do much more for global adoption than any algorithm change.

Peace to everyone, and be nice to eachother! Smiley
bible_pay (OP)

View Profile WWW
November 20, 2018, 03:31:27 PM

Reminder to discuss POG:

When does voting for superblocks end?

Approx. 24 hours before block 86100 (thats Nov 27th roughly).  At that point the wallet starts trying to make a budget, and the pool moves the highest voted proposals from the voting section to the budget section.

🕇 BiblePay 🕇
thesnat21

View Profile WWW
November 20, 2018, 03:39:42 PM
Last edit: November 20, 2018, 04:57:07 PM by thesnat21

Hi everyone!

First of all, I'm getting really tired of those "fights" on this discussion thread. It really looks like angry teens fighting, with often silly and unproved arguments, and it mostly makes the project look like something not attractive at all. Especially concerning the purpose and name of the project... Really disappointing.

Then, concerning the "Proof of Giving"... Maybe someone will give a simple and clear explanation of how this actually works (not with specific terms, eventually created for the purpose of the project, but with general accessible vocabulary) ("tithe"?? really? we're talking about "tithe"? I'm not native English but I'm fluent, and I had to check the translation for this word...). Then people will be able to understand how it's supposed to work. But for now, I get really lost in the explanations on the wiki page Sad That's for the "simplification" part Smiley Maybe it will actually be easier to start working with the BiblePay project using that new "algorithm", but I do believe that the "easy" part of it has to come from the applications that allow a new member to create a new wallet and start the mining process. Give that "Proof of Giving", "Proof of Distributed Computing" or "Proof of Waking Up Early In the Morning" names won't change anything, as long as the user has to go through a fastidious process to start it all.
The PoDC concept is not bad at all, the fact that new users have to get to a certain amount of staked BBP to be able to get their 100% reward is smart and good too, it would just all be clearer if we had one modern and stylish application that configures everything in a few clicks, and then clearly shows what to expect (what you get from that podcstatus.php one user posted, but more "synthetic", for example using some gauges to show the current status, the estimated delay before going "full PODC", and some red/light checkboxes to show whether BOINC is correctly linked and everything).
This application could even be used to give members access to those lovely photos of the orphans and the helped people that benefit from our actions, and also to access some specific docs (accounting and such).

No member would ever ask those neverending "I registered few days ago but I cannot see my xxxx info on the pool/biblepay-central and I'm not receiving any BBP yet, how can I be sure that I did everything right?"
And the global feeling will be more friendly and welcoming, less hardcore-techie geek (not saying that the members are not very welcoming, I did feel very welcome when I joined the community few months ago, and people were very helpful to guide me through the hassle of setting everything right).

I'm 100% sure that focusing on this aspect would do much more for global adoption than any algorithm change.

I agree on the being nice to eachother!

I will try to work on a more simple description of POG,  it seems to be an issue for non-native English speakers.

Also,  Red/Green checks for indicators will be added to the PODC Status script soon

bible_pay (OP)

View Profile WWW
November 20, 2018, 03:44:37 PM

Hi everyone!

Thanks Tybiboune, good insights.

I really have to agree with you to a point- regarding the ability to make PODC 'friendly' - given enough time and resources, that might be possible.  But I also wonder, maybe we should leave that gem and community reward for Gridcoin.  Maybe we should consider focusing all our time energy and intelligence on the gospel here - possibly - with POG instead.   I will leave this part of the discussion for later, but from an overarching summary:  I feel at this point in time, we could have all the tools in the world, but when we are done - "maybe" 10 housewives would still never dream of installing a second program on their PC to gain RAC (IE downloading boinc, registering with Rosetta) and learning what RAC is, but they "might" consider loading up biblepay and clicking Start.  That's basically where we are.  Its possible theoretically to take BOINC and virtualize all of its features (with developer business logic/assumptions down to a crypto interface), but do we have the time - resources here to do it within one year, and will BOINC hold up against the Swongle test forever?  These are all risks we have to consider.  

Let me move on to POG:

Please, if this explanation is too technical for anyone, note that I am not too exaspirated to explain it in more detail.

Tithing is the act of giving your BiblePay away to the orphan foundation (in contrast to burning it).  It allows us to record your public receiving address in a transaction (if we want to reward you later with a mining reward), and adds you to the internal pool.

POG is an idea where we have an internal pool (inside the wallet) instead of a set of supporter pools.  It accomplishes this by paying coinbase rewards to multiple recipients (instead of 1, we pay up to 32,767 recipients per 'tranche').  A tranche is a set of miners who have similar 'tithing power'.  Tithing power is the sum that you gave over the last 24 hours to the orphanage foundation.

In POG, we level the playing field by rewarding tithe_weight to the solving ability with a higher magnitude than mining_hashpower.  Another words, with higher tithes, a laptop beats a 96 core miner for the current block because of the tithe_weight.  

And then philosophically speaking, we have to look at what we are gaining in either scenario.  If we stay with PODC, it is a given we spend a lot on electricity (about $20K per month as of last month).  POG otoh, removing the 'competetiveness' from mining and changing the heart to giving, lowers the electricity consumption (because you are rewarded for tithe_weight, not hashpower), therefore theoretically more orphans could be sponsored with POG than with PODC.  

🕇 BiblePay 🕇
Pages: « 1 ... 507 508 509 510 511 512 513 514 515 516 517 518 519 520 521 522 523 524 525 526 527 528 529 530 531 532 533 534 535 536 537 538 539 540 541 542 543 544 545 546 547 548 549 550 551 552 553 554 555 556 [557] 558 559 560 561 562 563 564 565 566 567 568 569 570 571 572 573 574 575 576 577 578 579 580 581 582 583 584 585 586 587 588 589 590 591 592 593 594 595 596 597 598 599 600 601 602 603 604 605 606 607 ... 844 »
  Print  

Jump to: