Bitcoin Forum
May 10, 2024, 11:59:00 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: MT.GOX PRESS : Statement Regarding Temporary Hiatus on U.S. Dollar Withdrawals  (Read 6173 times)
smoothie
Legendary

Activity: 2492
Merit: 1473

LEALANA Bitcoin Grim Reaper

View Profile
June 20, 2013, 04:20:51 PM

My penis is better than an api

someone has self-esteem issues to bring that up at a time like this.  Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

███████████████████████████████████████

,╓p@@███████@╗╖,           
        ,p████████████████████N,       
      d█████████████████████████b     
    d██████████████████████████████æ   
  ,████²█████████████████████████████, 
 ,█████  ╙████████████████████╨  █████y
 ██████    `████████████████`    ██████
║██████       Ñ███████████`      ███████
███████         ╩██████Ñ         ███████
███████    ▐▄     ²██╩     a▌    ███████
╢██████    ▐▓█▄          ▄█▓▌    ███████
 ██████    ▐▓▓▓▓▌,     ▄█▓▓▓▌    ██████─
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓█,,▄▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
    ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓─  
     ²▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓╩    
        ▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀       
           ²▀▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀▀`          
                   ²²²                 

. ★☆ WWW.LEALANA.COM        My PGP fingerprint is A764D833.                  History of Monero development Visualization ★☆ .
LEALANA BITCOIN GRIM REAPER SILVER COINS.

The forum strives to allow free discussion of any ideas. All policies are built around this principle. This doesn't mean you can post garbage, though: posts should actually contain ideas, and these ideas should be argued reasonably.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
ronaldlee0917

Activity: 238
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 20, 2013, 04:30:51 PM

When MtGox says two weeks, it may finally become 2 months, judging from their usual efficiency.

Donation:    18zXsfnSvGjQFJ6pEiKMg2uWGcxUCfJLzu
Mastercoin - A new protocol layer built on top of Bitcoin
byronbb
Legendary

Activity: 1414
Merit: 1000

HODL OR DIE

View Profile
June 20, 2013, 09:31:39 PM

This affect Canada at all?

Bitcoin Roll

Activity: 44
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 20, 2013, 09:38:00 PM

Stocks crash big time and bitcoin going higher draw a conclusion chart------> https://www.google.com/#rlz=1C2RNPN_enUS395&qscrl=1&sclient=psy-ab&q=dow+jones+char+for+today+6%2F20&oq=dow+jones+char+for+today+6%2F20&gs_l=serp.3...3733.12318.0.13335.20.20.0.0.0.0.132.1920.15j5.20.0...0.0.0..1c.1.17.psy-ab.iIt6hShT3jk&pbx=1&bav=on.2,or.r_qf.&fp=c01a570862710ea0&biw=830&bih=456
Jozzaboy

Activity: 98
Merit: 10

View Profile
June 20, 2013, 10:03:44 PM

Wow, it crapped its self!

Fsck knows what's going on with gox's bank but to me it looks like someone has been working hard to keep the rate down with constant downward pressure and big dumps any time it looks like rising. That fsckers got a big huge pile of USD on there and he cant move them for weeks. Pure tinfoil hat talk but its a cheery though Smiley

I'm not worried. It will all be used to bring the price right back up. All I need to do to ensure a profit is to wait long enough.

BTC: 16whd9eNR8WY9nVhUUevNYMbQB2eS1jtYF
I also accept precious metals, no paper money please.
smoothie
Legendary

View Profile
June 21, 2013, 01:46:17 AM

Whoever has a ton of virtual cash on gox is fucked right now unless they buy bitcoins.

This all has a very familiar stench to a ponzi.

WITHDRAWALS: OFF
DEPOSITS: ON

,╓p@@███████@╗╖,           
        ,p████████████████████N,       
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓█,,▄▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
        ▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀       
           ²▀▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀▀`          
                   ²²²                 

. ★☆ WWW.LEALANA.COM        My PGP fingerprint is A764D833.                  History of Monero development Visualization ★☆ .

ArticMine
Legendary

Activity: 2282
Merit: 1050

Monero Core Team

View Profile
June 21, 2013, 01:52:22 AM

Whoever has a ton of virtual cash on gox is fucked right now unless they buy bitcoins.

This all has a very familiar stench to a ponzi.

WITHDRAWALS: OFF
DEPOSITS: ON

USD but not EUR. Just wait for a few hours. It is 4:00 am CET.

Concerned that blockchain bloat will lead to centralization? Storing less than 4 GB of data once required the budget of a superpower and a warehouse full of punched cards. https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/8/87/IBM_card_storage.NARA.jpg https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Punched_card
byronbb
Legendary

Activity: 1414

HODL OR DIE

View Profile
June 21, 2013, 02:08:43 AM

So can't you just sell coins in euro and withdraw, even a US person could do this.

smoothie
Legendary

View Profile
June 21, 2013, 02:17:46 AM

So can't you just sell coins in euro and withdraw, even a US person could do this.

LOL yeah but what can I do with EUR in the U.S.?

May as well be toilet paper. No one accepts it here.  Tongue Tongue

,╓p@@███████@╗╖,           
        ,p████████████████████N,       
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓█,,▄▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
        ▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀       
           ²▀▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀▀`          
                   ²²²                 

adamstgBit
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1037

Trusted Bitcoiner

View Profile WWW
June 21, 2013, 02:22:16 AM

the most retarded part of all this is people that bought on mtgox and then sold on bitstamp will wait 2 weeks for their bitstamp USD Withdrawal to process and feel really good about it.

NamelessOne
Legendary

Activity: 840

View Profile
June 21, 2013, 03:21:56 AM

the most retarded part of all this is people that bought on mtgox and then sold on bitstamp will wait 2 weeks for their bitstamp USD Withdrawal to process and feel really good about it.

Really? I've seen plenty of people mentioning they'd had wires take 2-3 days, and generally much faster than mtgox.
dave111223
Legendary

Activity: 1190
Merit: 1001

View Profile WWW
June 21, 2013, 03:22:48 AM

Panic bought Cheesy  I'll take my BTC and be the f*** out thx...see you in 2 weeks.
adamstgBit
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1037

Trusted Bitcoiner

View Profile WWW
June 21, 2013, 03:25:29 AM

Really? I've seen plenty of people mentioning they'd had wires take 2-3 days, and generally much faster than mtgox.

you think they will be able to handle the huge amounts of withdrawal about to be requested?

we'll see

dave111223
Legendary

View Profile WWW
June 21, 2013, 03:36:13 AM

IMH opinion (totally unfounded tale of FUD)

I remember that Karpeles said in an interview during the bubble something about getting 20Mil USD deposits per day, and 300K withdrawals a day.

Gox started to think "this is the way it's going to be now" and started to spend more than their fees...sliding into a factional reserve, with their position getting deeper and deeper; new servers, new lawyers, new boats, lots of coke etc...with 20Mil a day coming in who gives a crap ("we're rich bitch")

But then the market turns...uh oh, people are now selling their bitcoins and withdrawing, people are withdrawing to other exchanges....  Now it's flipped... 20Mil going out per day, and only 300K coming in.

At first they delay the transactions hope they can ride it out...but what do you do when the balance hits 0 and delays are getting longer?

Their story that their banks API is broken (for 2 weeks) is laughable.  Yup you broke the bank, but not the API.

Also I love how in their press release they try to say:
inconvenience this causes our U.S. customers

To try to make it seem like it's only a small number of customers that are effected (only the people the US)....when 90% of your customer accounts are denominated in USD (not just US customers)
bronco

Activity: 57
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 21, 2013, 04:26:25 AM

This is just perfect. Just moved some coins from bitstamp bought cheaply to mtgox tried to sell. Looks like will have to sell them at coinbase
EuroTrash

Activity: 728
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 21, 2013, 05:49:20 AM

you think they will be able to handle the huge amounts of withdrawal about to be requested?

we'll see

They did during April's bubble so I think they'll do now.

<=== INSERT SMART SIGNATURE HERE ===>
N12
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1610
Merit: 1010

View Profile
June 21, 2013, 05:52:37 AM

That would be too funny, and currently they would lose ~10% in the process. You have to understand that if you are buying on MtGox right now and selling at bitstamp, you are betting that they are going broke and willing to take that 10% haircut. If it turns out a day later or two that it was all unjustified panic created in a FUD environment that shitty PR made possible, well … Cheesy
oakpacific

Activity: 784

View Profile
June 21, 2013, 06:12:25 AM

That would be too funny, and currently they would lose ~10% in the process. You have to understand that if you are buying on MtGox right now and selling at bitstamp, you are betting that they are going broke and willing to take that 10% haircut. If it turns out a day later or two that it was all unjustified panic created in a FUD environment that shitty PR made possible, well … Cheesy

I think their assumption is actually just that banks are benevolent and righteous and never wrong, so it must be Gox's fault and if they move the bitcoins anywhere else the banks are sure going to cooperate and process the withdrawals smoothly..........

They shouldn't be into Bitcoin anyway. Roll Eyes

https://tlsnotary.org/ Fraud proofing decentralized fiat-Bitcoin trading.
dave111223
Legendary

View Profile WWW
June 21, 2013, 06:19:26 AM

I'll admit I took a 10% haircut.

As I have seen my mtgox wires get delayed longer and longer with absolutely no reason given, now this with nonsense Press Release

There is no way that a "broken API" would cause them to stop withdrawals completely for 2 weeks, they had previously said that the API was broken so they were processing withdrawals manually; and that's why the recent delays.

So if you have someone sitting there process withdrawals manually; why would you tell them to stop?  The logically thing to do would be to continue processing withdrawals manually/slowly while you wait for the bank to fix their API...if you are worried about all the delay complaints then put up a big notice in the withdrawals section about the delays

...why would you instead stop completely and "starting looking for new bank accounts"

Of course if in 2 weeks I'm proved wrong and Mt Gox opens back up their wire transfers I can always move my money back from Bitstamp to Mt Gox and probably gain back 5%, so only took a 5% haircut.

But I'm right that I have avoided a massive loss....which is why I choose to take the haircut...

IMHO the two most logical explanations:
1) They are having issues with their bank (legal/regulatory)
OR
2) They are insolvent fractional reserve.

Both of which have got me running.
Frozenlock

Activity: 434
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 21, 2013, 06:37:04 AM

Of course if in 2 weeks I'm proved wrong and Mt Gox opens back up their wire transfers I can always move my money back from Bitstamp to Mt Gox and probably gain back 5%, so only took a 5% haircut.

That's assuming the spread would last 2 weeks.
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: