Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 04:15:09 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: BTC Legacy vs Segwit wallet  (Read 654 times)
depth10 (OP)

Activity: 9
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 12, 2017, 03:04:52 AM

I've learned that most exchanges and wallets support the Segwit chain now, but some do not (Exodus, for example).  Will I run into any issues transferring BTC from, say, Coinbase (Segwit) to Exodus (non-Segwit) to Ledger (Segwit)?  Will the middle link (Exodus which is non-Segwit) mess up the transaction in any way?

See here for Exodus wallet roadmap, scroll all they way to bottom. http://support.exodus.io/article/96-exodus-wallet-roadmap

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"Governments are good at cutting off the heads of a centrally controlled networks like Napster, but pure P2P networks like Gnutella and Tor seem to be holding their own." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
achow101
Legendary

Activity: 3374
Merit: 6535

Just writing some code

View Profile WWW
November 12, 2017, 05:16:00 AM

There is no "the Segwit chain". That chain is Bitcoin, and all Bitcoin wallets support it and use it regardless of whether they have implemented segwit itself or not.

Will I run into any issues transferring BTC from, say, Coinbase (Segwit) to Exodus (non-Segwit) to Ledger (Segwit)?  Will the middle link (Exodus which is non-Segwit) mess up the transaction in any way?
There is no problem because it is all still Bitcoin and on the Bitcoin chain.

erk

Activity: 826
Merit: 500

View Profile
November 24, 2017, 05:33:21 AM

I've learned that most exchanges and wallets support the Segwit chain now, but some do not (Exodus, for example).  Will I run into any issues transferring BTC from, say, Coinbase (Segwit) to Exodus (non-Segwit) to Ledger (Segwit)?  Will the middle link (Exodus which is non-Segwit) mess up the transaction in any way?

See here for Exodus wallet roadmap, scroll all they way to bottom. http://support.exodus.io/article/96-exodus-wallet-roadmap

Exodus is not really a good BTC wallet, it can't generate a Segwit receive address to help the network fees, but you can't even set BTC fees lower than their default, any BTC movement out of Exodus will cost you a fortune compared to other wallets.

Crypto4K
Copper Member

Activity: 247
Merit: 12

decentralize money

View Profile
November 24, 2017, 11:26:31 AM

Why don't get a hardware wallet in the first place?

Armory and Blockchain.info is good too.. they both support both chains
SureLockLoans

Activity: 280
Merit: 250

View Profile
November 24, 2017, 12:57:04 PM

Why don't get a hardware wallet in the first place?

Blockchain.info is not good. It's a poorly written wallet which has numerous issues including not being able to get fees right which either results in you overpaying or underpaying drastically.

Armory on the other hand is decent at least.

Thirdspace

Activity: 1232
Merit: 738

Mixing reinvented for your privacy | chipmixer.com

View Profile
November 25, 2017, 01:13:22 PM

There is no "the Segwit chain". That chain is Bitcoin, and all Bitcoin wallets support it and use it regardless of whether they have implemented segwit itself or not.

There is no problem because it is all still Bitcoin and on the Bitcoin chain.

just like achow101 said, all BTC wallets support & use it regardless
one thing I notice that bc.info explorer doesn't show transaction involving segwit address correctly
it's showing as Unable to decode output address but will show the address correctly on advanced view mode
also I tried to search segwit address on a few explorers and none can give me result
how exactly I can check a segwit address balance on explorer? is it possible?

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: