Bitcoin Forum
April 30, 2024, 11:39:17 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: There is a market for PCI/PCIe-based ASIC boards  (Read 4725 times)
rethaw

Activity: 378
Merit: 255

View Profile
June 28, 2013, 04:44:51 AM

I can see a market existing in theory, but you will never be able to sell a PCIe based miner as cheaply as a USB or ethernet based miner. Having an ASIC miner that is shaped such that it fits on a backplane might be interesting. One would still plug it into a USB port on the motherboard, though.

The same goes for a PCIe/PCI based device - you'll have a complete overview of what's it doing, just like GPUs now.
I have nothing against dedicated external miners, but I'd love to utilise the existing rig hardware as well.

I'm looking forward to seeing boards with temperature sensors, considering all the excitement to overclock the Avalon chips. But you don't need PCIe to get that information.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"I'm sure that in 20 years there will either be very large transaction volume or no volume." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
tom_o

Activity: 308
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 28, 2013, 12:41:08 PM

I have nothing against dedicated external miners, but I'd love to utilise the existing rig hardware as well.

Even if it means higher power and equipment costs as well as limited cooling and case options?

You can still use it to login to the web interface of a dedicated miner if you're that set on re-using your PC. Alternately just get a tablet + keyboard.
namzycad3

Activity: 61
Merit: 10

View Profile
June 28, 2013, 01:16:44 PM

USB

hot swappable
daisy chain
no slot limit (virtually)

PCIE
limited space, even with riser you will still need a good mouting and cooling solution, cheap solution normally end up more bulky cooler
whole machine have to shut-down to do maintenance, upgrade or troubleshooting
more point of failures

unless PCIE can provide higher efficiency if the mobo/cpu can assist/boost the performance vs running off USB. i dont think its worth it. remember we are dealing with cost vs profit, not buying designer bags just for looks and "cool" design.

my 2 satoshi
markm
Legendary

Activity: 2940
Merit: 1090

View Profile WWW
June 28, 2013, 01:46:41 PM
Last edit: June 28, 2013, 02:13:11 PM by markm

Also the bit about not being able to monitor standalone devices is absurd, there is a whole protocol whose acronym I cannot recall offhand for monitoring such things, with pretty GUI free open source master panel software that lets you visualise entire networks and all the machines on them and flash warnings and updates and so on about what they are all up to.

So if that is a concern its just a matter of tossing a monitor daemon on each standalone that answers to that ancient and standard protocol and presto all those already in place standard monitoring stations will start seeing what they are all up to.

(Maybe google SNMP ? Simple Network Monitoring Protocol maybe, something like that ?)

(It is actually so standard that if the first generation devices out the door so far don't have it that is probably just an artifact of the sketchiness and need for fast deployment of these first generation devices, that serious devices will almost inevitably fix as soon as serious people start seriously using the gear in quantity... it just maybe didn't occur to anyone yet that home users would even know of such a thing let alone have SNMP monitor GUIs on their workstations waiting to monitor such devices... as, maybe, they don't... yet.)

-MarkM-

Browser-launched Crossfire client now online (select CrossCiv server for Galactic  Milieu)
Free website hosting with PHP, MySQL etc: http://hosting.knotwork.com/
Nemo1024 (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1680
Merit: 1014

View Profile WWW
June 28, 2013, 01:52:58 PM

>USB
>hot swappable
Not really a game changer for me. Most of my miners run 24/7 for a few months at a time. A maintenance reboot would occasionally take a couple of minutes from mining - not a huge loss

>daisy chain
Provided you invest in more powered hubs, otherwise I'd anyway run 4 to 8 devices off the PC's external motherboard USB ports

>no slot limit (virtually)
For a small miner 4-8 devices is anyway a reasonable financial limit.

>PCIE
>limited space, even with riser you will still need a good mouting and cooling solution, cheap solution normally end up more bulky cooler
Already have the equipment, which is paid for, so I am looking at replacing GPU miners with ASIC miners 1:1 in the same framework.

>whole machine have to shut-down to do maintenance, upgrade or troubleshooting
Not a problem. See the point above

>more point of failures
Until one of the USB-hub power supplies higher up in your USD daisy chain fails. A lot of unearthed power supplies = higher risk of fire.

>unless PCIE can provide higher efficiency if the mobo/cpu can assist/boost the performance vs running off USB. i dont think its worth it. remember we are dealing with cost vs profit, not buying designer bags just for looks and "cool" design.

It's not about design, but about reducing cost: it's about reusing existing equipment.

>my 2 satoshi
Ad mine 2 as well Cheesy

[/quote]

“Dark times lie ahead of us and there will be a time when we must choose between what is easy and what is right.”
“We are only as strong as we are united, as weak as we are divided.”
“It is important to fight and fight again, and keep fighting, for only then can evil be kept at bay, though never quite eradicated.”
Nemo1024 (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1680
Merit: 1014

View Profile WWW
June 28, 2013, 01:55:48 PM

>Even if it means higher power and equipment costs as well as limited cooling and case options?
Equipment is paid for already (existing GPU rig). Power consumption would not differ by much. Multiple power supplies to powered USB hubs might actually loose more power than an efficient 80+/90+ PSU.

>You can still use it to login to the web interface of a dedicated miner if you're that set on re-using your PC. Alternately just get a tablet + keyboard.
And buying a tablet for that is not expensive?

“Dark times lie ahead of us and there will be a time when we must choose between what is easy and what is right.”
“We are only as strong as we are united, as weak as we are divided.”
“It is important to fight and fight again, and keep fighting, for only then can evil be kept at bay, though never quite eradicated.”
tom_o

View Profile
June 28, 2013, 02:39:12 PM

>Even if it means higher power and equipment costs as well as limited cooling and case options?
Equipment is paid for already (existing GPU rig). Power consumption would not differ by much. Multiple power supplies to powered USB hubs might actually loose more power than an efficient 80+/90+ PSU.

>You can still use it to login to the web interface of a dedicated miner if you're that set on re-using your PC. Alternately just get a tablet + keyboard.
And buying a tablet for that is not expensive?

All you'd really be reusing is your motherboard/cpu, which you could do anyway with PCI-E USB cards.

As for powered USB hubs - not an issue if you're serious about making back your money - BEusb's are highly unlikely to make ROI, anything else that runs over USB (other than the K1s) are externally powered so you can use your PC PSU for that. Basically the bus powered miners are pointless anyway at the prices they're going for! If it has ethernet you don't even need to worry about the PC.

Also did you not notice that ATX PSU's also have 5v rails? Just make up a few molex to barrel jack adapters and you're sorted, could be as simple as running an electricians terminal block as an interconnect if you don't trust your soldering.

Until one of the USB-hub power supplies higher up in your USD daisy chain fails. A lot of unearthed power supplies = higher risk of fire.

>unless PCIE can provide higher efficiency if the mobo/cpu can assist/boost the performance vs running off USB. i dont think its worth it. remember we are dealing with cost vs profit, not buying designer bags just for looks and "cool" design.

It's not about design, but about reducing cost: it's about reusing existing equipment.

Design increases cost. Also for USB daisychains the 'hub' hubs not running miners don't need to be powered. USB also connects all of the grounds together anyway so this isn't too much of an issue - the previous hub just won't supply a hub attempting to draw several amp, even the most basic hub IC's have overcurrent cutoffs.

The point about the tablet is that <£100 for a tablet which can be used to monitor thousands of standalone devices which have their own ethernet, and then you can sell your PC and monitor if it isn't being used for anything else. Also you no longer have the risk of a PC driver issue/virus/crash making all your mining cards fail.

The cooling issue is more that the manufacturers would have to work out something for the single/dual slot in order for you to still get decent density. Also drivers would have to be written for the card itself - with USB its simple, not nearly so much for PCI-E.

Ethernet is a much easier/cheaper standard and with the next gen of miners you might even be able to telnet/SSH to them!

>no slot limit (virtually)
For a small miner 4-8 devices is anyway a reasonable financial limit.

They don't care for small miners' financial limits, the more scalable their product, the larger the quantities people will buy!
Trongersoll

Activity: 490
Merit: 501

View Profile
June 28, 2013, 04:54:27 PM

To stay on topic, the answer is yes, there is a market for PCI/PCIe ASIC miners. Are USB better? Who cares, not the topic here.
tom_o

View Profile
June 28, 2013, 05:17:34 PM

To stay on topic, the answer is yes, there is a market for PCI/PCIe ASIC miners. Are USB better? Who cares, not the topic here.

What many people are saying though is that there is no need, epecially for mining farm type setups who will be the main/biggest customer base proportionally. You can get PCI-E FPGA boards too but very few people buy them for mining.

Standalone ethernet pros:
Less chip/board cost
Easier cooling solutions
Less driver/support issues
Easier remote access and monitoring
dentldir

Activity: 333

View Profile
June 28, 2013, 05:43:26 PM

I'd be in for a 2 slot 16GH/s PCI-e board that used a single PCI-e power connector if it were 5 BTC or less.

1DentLdiRMv3dpmpmqWsQev8BUaty9vN3v
tom_o

View Profile
June 30, 2013, 02:45:56 PM

Might wanna check these out:

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=246638.0

Foofighter

Activity: 882
Merit: 547

BTC Mining Hardware, Trading and more

View Profile
June 30, 2013, 03:47:21 PM

this looks nice!

ex official Canaan Distributor (Cryptouniverse)
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: