Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 02:33:06 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: [BOUNTY] Info leading to criminal arrest in ASIC Theft. Escrow via John K.  (Read 4380 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic.
CrazyGuy (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1973
Merit: 1007

View Profile
June 21, 2013, 01:46:28 AM
Last edit: July 08, 2013, 05:08:14 PM by CrazyGuy

Update - 07-08-2013 - Bounty currently suspended. I'll be re-opening soon under new terms.
Current Bounty
BTC51

Purchase Bounty Shares here

Current USD amount of bounty

https://blockchain.info/address/1E36mb8tWuEarA9b99v179CoAkudoadzQS
Bounty is escrowed with John K. and open for donations. Please read below for more details

Bounty Details
I am offering a minimum of 50 BTC for information leading to the arrest of the individual that broke into my house and stole a Batch #2 Avalon ASIC. The burglary occurred at exactly 10:10 AM CST on May 31st 2013, 2.5 days after listing on the forums and eBay. I live in North DFW, in an area with one of the lowest crime rates in America, so this is not a coincidence. I have kept quiet about the burglary while police investigate, but I feel now is the time to take action and provide a little incentive for catching the criminal.

I want to stress that the primary goal of this bounty is not to retrieve my Avalon, but to ensure the criminal who invaded my house and privacy serves due time in prison, and prevent this from happening to anyone else. With that said, I want to encourage those of you that may have purchased a stolen unit second hand to come forward with information about the individual you purchased from. The bounty is available to any individual that provides information leading to an arrest.

Who is eligible, how can you help?
Everyone is eligible.
  • Purchased a secondhand Avalon off of eBay, the forums, craigslist? Please contact me. If you are able to provide identifying information on the unit, we can move forward with locating the criminal.
  • Provide information on your thieving friend or someone you've seen bragging about stealing an Avalon. I can't imagine someone willing to break into a stranger's home has loyal friends. Surely someone will be willing to rat their criminal buddy out.
  • Donate to the bounty and help spread the message to lurking criminals that we intend to make sure they don't get away with major theft. I am not the benefactor of bounty donations, and donations can be retracted after each 30 day period(More details in Full Terms). In the event the unit is returned, as a donator, you will receive a percentage of the Avalon's mining power for the life of the unit(no less than 1 year)

Full Terms
  • Bounty is run in 30 day intervals, starting June 19th 2013. At the end of 30 days, I will decide wether to continue for another 30 days or not.
  • Donators have 24 hour period after each 30 day interval to retract their donation. In the event the bounty is called off, donators will receive a full refund. If you do donate, please remember to donate from your account(not Mtgox or another online account). This will ease the refund process if necessary.
  • In the event the unit is returned, donators will receive a percentage of the Avalon's mining power, equal to the percentage donated to full bounty.
  • Information must lead to criminal arrest of an individual connected to the burglary. This must be verified before receiving payment.
  • Bounty is escrowed with John K. John has been given specific information regarding the case and should only be contacted if you are uncomfortable with speaking me directly

For those of you with ASICs on order, or coming in soon, be careful! There are criminals out there willing to break into your house and take your property. It's easy to forget how much this hardware is worth, and what people are willing to do, when you paid a fraction of the current value.

ASICPuppy.net ASIC Mining Hardware and Accessories - Compac F in stock!
You can see the statistics of your reports to moderators on the "Report to moderator" pages.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
CrazyGuy (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
June 21, 2013, 01:46:44 AM
Last edit: June 21, 2013, 01:59:17 AM by CrazyGuy

Reposted.

Clarification on intent and donations:

My intent is to see that the criminal is placed behind bars. I realize there's a slim chance of retrieving the Avalon, and I've come to terms with that. I want to encourage users that have purchased Avalon units secondhand to come forward and provide information about their units. You are eligible for the reward and you are not obligated to return the ASIC to me.

This sentiment conflicts with the offering of a mining percentage to donators if the Avalon is retrieved. The way I see it, the criminal will be outed by a buyer or a friend turning over information for the bounty. If it's a friend, there's a much higher chance of retrieving the Avalon. In that event, I will be spliting the mining rewards over donators accounts. Donators are allowed to withdraw their donation after each 30 day bounty. I will also provide the option for donators to specify beforehand if their donation is only valid in the event the unit is returned. Obviously, I would like donations to be free of that stipulation but I'm afraid the bounty is going to need to be a bit larger to really attract an informant.

autodidactic

Activity: 175
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 21, 2013, 01:59:02 AM

I believe you're a man that has a certain set of skills. 

LZKRTwu1jUM8MphtJox54hHmXH4SiNTron
mufa23
Legendary

Activity: 1022
Merit: 1001

I'd fight Gandhi.

View Profile
June 21, 2013, 02:02:24 AM

Wow... I wish all the best to you. Speaking as a criminal justice student, the majority of burglaries are by people you know. But being that you listed the unit before your house was broken into, that really leaves open the possibilities. Could you describe the break in? Was it through a window, door, wall? Did they go straight for the unit? How did they know where to find it? Did they search the rest of the house? How do you know it was at 10:10am? Neighbors see a suspicious car? I have so many questions...

For those of you with ASICs on order, or coming in soon, be careful! There are criminals out there willing to break into your house and take your property. It's easy to forget how much this hardware is worth, and what people are willing to do, when you paid a fraction of the current value.
Well in that case...

I would like everyone to know that the State in which I currently reside in has a castle doctrine. I keep a Glock 19 under my pillow, a Mossberg 500 loaded with 00 Buckshot next to my bed, a revolver in my desk, multiple rifles around my house, and a Makarov in my car. All of my firearms are always loaded. I am well trained, and equally skilled in all of my firearms. I will not hesitate.

Positive rep with: pekv2, AzN1337c0d3r, Vince Torres, underworld07, Chimsley, omegaaf, Bogart, Gleason, SuperTramp, John K. and guitarplinker
CrazyGuy (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
June 21, 2013, 02:11:10 AM

10:10 AM was the time of the last share submitted by the unit accross 3 pools. Funny you should mention protection. I've been training Brazillian Jujitsu for the past 10 years, collegiate and high school wrestler. I can now admit that I had last week off and stayed home with an empty butterfly labs jalapeno box on my front doorstep, waiting for the criminal to return so I could strangle the shit out if him. I'm serious about catching this guy...

Axion_Zen

Activity: 232
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 21, 2013, 02:16:38 AM

How would they know your address just by listing on ebay? It would have to be someone who had gotten your address through other means..or someone that knew what you had already. 300-400$ security cameras hooked up to a  DVR would be good investment Wink
John (John K.)
Global Troll-buster and
Legendary

Activity: 1288
Merit: 1225

Away on an extended break

View Profile
June 21, 2013, 02:18:10 AM

PS: I confirm that I'm the escrow here.

Thanks,
John
crazyates
Legendary

Activity: 952
Merit: 1000

View Profile
June 21, 2013, 02:32:19 AM

I knew it would be a matter of time before something like this happened. That's worth $10k, and people have stolen for a lot less.

Sorry for your loss, and I hope you find the guy.

Tips? 1crazy8pMqgwJ7tX7ZPZmyPwFbc6xZKM9
Previous Trade History - Sale Thread
endriuska

Activity: 91
Merit: 10

View Profile
June 21, 2013, 02:33:28 AM

Have you tried to contact Avalon and see if maybe each Unit has a unique number by which it could be tracked while mining? or something unique to it?

Did you check the pool where you were mining with it, maybe he was stupid enough to test the unit using your credentials/mining address? If he was stupid enough, you could at least get an IP address(from pool) and that would be a start.

I think suggestions like "if someone saw something suspicious in the neighborhood" will not help - the police should be able to take care of that.

I don't know much about avalon but see if there's a way to track it back(maybe avalon developers can help?).

Another thing you could try is inquire every single pool and ask for help by providing the information the day that it was stolen and the week from that day, to see if maybe there was a user which turned on additional 50-60ghs. There might be many of those guys, but by IP you could check and see maybe there's something in your area.

Hope any of this helps.
CrazyGuy (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
June 21, 2013, 02:50:24 AM

Have you tried to contact Avalon and see if maybe each Unit has a unique number by which it could be tracked while mining? or something unique to it?

Did you check the pool where you were mining with it, maybe he was stupid enough to test the unit using your credentials/mining address? If he was stupid enough, you could at least get an IP address(from pool) and that would be a start.

I think suggestions like "if someone saw something suspicious in the neighborhood" will not help - the police should be able to take care of that.

I don't know much about avalon but see if there's a way to track it back(maybe avalon developers can help?).

Another thing you could try is inquire every single pool and ask for help by providing the information the day that it was stolen and the week from that day, to see if maybe there was a user which turned on additional 50-60ghs. There might be many of those guys, but by IP you could check and see maybe there's something in your area.

Hope any of this helps.

I've tried everything that's been mentioned over the past few weeks, believe me. I'm throwing a wide net and bounty was last resort.

k9quaint
Legendary

Activity: 1190

View Profile
June 21, 2013, 02:55:07 AM

I am trying to get a Vanity Address with "CrazyGuy" and I will send a satoshi to it for luck.
If that doesn't work, I am out of ideas.  Embarrassed

Bitcoin is backed by the full faith and credit of YouTube comments.
notlist3d
Legendary

Activity: 1456

View Profile
June 21, 2013, 03:03:24 AM

Are you able to tell us what city/state?

Also how many friends into bitcoin know about it and had your address even those who you know online? (Just kinda trying to see how many possible people were looking at).

And last question.... did you try selling it on ebay or anything that might have given info away?
ninjaboon
Legendary

Activity: 2114
Merit: 1002

View Profile WWW
June 21, 2013, 03:09:47 AM

Yeap, maybe Avalon has some serial numbers on it?
I know BFL units like Jalapenos have serial number stickers on the back.

CrazyGuy (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
June 21, 2013, 03:25:23 AM

Yeap, maybe Avalon has some serial numbers on it?
I know BFL units like Jalapenos have serial number stickers on the back.

They have not responded, I can identify the unit if someone comes forward.

Hiroaki

Activity: 404
Merit: 270

View Profile
June 21, 2013, 03:27:55 AM

That is absolutely insane !!!
It seemed normal that wallets get hacked, people profile each other, but breaking in your house just tops it again.

Who in the offline world did you tell about your Avalon ? Did you go to any bitcoin meetups or conferences ?

I wish you good luck to find the guy !!!! I assume it will be somebody that lives at least in the States and not so far from you ? He probably observed you as well ?! Are there any security cams (CCTV) close  by your home ?

zedicus
Legendary

Activity: 966
Merit: 1004

CryptoTalk.Org - Get Paid for every Post!

View Profile WWW
June 21, 2013, 04:12:51 AM
Last edit: June 21, 2013, 04:23:06 AM by zedicus

Man im sorry that happened to you!! Sad

The invasion of youre privacy and not knowing whats missing is the worst.. I used to stay in a really bad neighborhood so lets just say growing up i went through this a few times! One of my neighbors home was emptied with a uhaul .. literally emptied!

If you havent figured it out yet the camera you took pictures with is embedding the gps coordinates of where the image was taken. You took the pictures at home.., Uploaded to the forums or ebay and that was that!! Take the photos down if you haven't already. Turn the feature off on youre smartphone or camera!

Also you may want to inquire or ask avalon about a unique hardware id.. if you can get youre hardware and give that to people running pools..

If you can see it hashing on the network in a pool somewhere.. Maybe you can offer the bounty to people who run pools!!  But first you gotta see if they have hardware id's that can be read via a script.

I take it you didnt have a camera setup.. I have a multi camera setup in my home that triggers via motion and records video and audio 24hrs a day so just because you dont have security cameras doesn't mean your neighbors dont! Ask you neighbors and offer a reward for footage of that day or even a few days before to see if they were casing youre home ..

Also did the cops take prints ... did the thieves leave cables behind!? If the cops missed it or didnt take prints, have a third party do finger print on the cables and surrounding furniture and what not..

Also are you in the states.. Did you get a power supply by yourself trying to avoid customs issues? Look for youre power supply on craigslist! I believe power supply have a serial on them! Look for the model .. and obviously offer to buy if you find one local and compare serials..

Dont take anything for granted and think when and who you have dialoged with about asic's or bitcoin. Especially someone who has been in youre home!  

Really sorry that happened to you! Good luck with the hunt..

. ██████████.
                              .████████████████.
                           .██████████████████████.
                        -█████████████████████████████
                     .██████████████████████████████████.
                  -█████████████████████████████████████████
               -███████████████████████████████████████████████
           .-█████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
        .████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
       .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       ..████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████..
       .   .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       .      .████████████████████████████████████████████████.

.       .██████████████████████████████████████████████
       .    ██████████████████████████████████████████████████████
       .█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
        .███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
           .█████████████████████████████████████████████████████
              .████████████████████████████████████████████████
                   ████████████████████████████████████████
                      ██████████████████████████████████
                          ██████████████████████████
                             ████████████████████
                               ████████████████
                                   █████████
.CryptoTalk.org.|.MAKE POSTS AND EARN BTC!.🏆
Vycid

Activity: 336
Merit: 250

♫ the AM bear who cares ♫

View Profile
June 21, 2013, 05:09:20 AM

Well in that case...

I would like everyone to know that the State in which I currently reside in has a castle doctrine. I keep a Glock 19 under my pillow, a Mossberg 500 loaded with 00 Buckshot next to my bed, a revolver in my desk, multiple rifles around my house, and a Makarov in my car. All of my firearms are always loaded. I am well trained, and equally skilled in all of my firearms. I will not hesitate.

OK. This is just a little crazy.

It's money, man. Don't shoot somebody over some money. It's one thing to defend yourself and another entirely to kill a man over some fucking hardware.

Criminals deserve jail time, but could you live with yourself for being the sort of person who is so covetous that he'd kill over money? How would you feel? What about the court fees and potential civil penalties when the family sues the shit out of you?

You don't know why he's stealing it, either. Maybe he's got a sick kid. You don't know - how would you feel if you shot a man dead who was desperate to get treatment for his son?

If you're going to shoot an unarmed intruder, at least make it the lower leg.

Unacceptable
Legendary

Activity: 2212
Merit: 1001

View Profile
June 21, 2013, 07:49:10 PM

Well in that case...

It's money, man. Don't shoot somebody over some money. It's one thing to defend yourself and another entirely to kill a man over some fucking hardware.

Criminals deserve jail time, but could you live with yourself for being the sort of person who is so covetous that he'd kill over money? How would you feel? What about the court fees and potential civil penalties when the family sues the shit out of you?

You don't know why he's stealing it, either. Maybe he's got a sick kid. You don't know - how would you feel if you shot a man dead who was desperate to get treatment for his son?

I have no feelings for liars & thieves.Especially thieves,if I catch someone breaking into my car or house,I WILL SHOOT them,if they die,no great loss  Angry

Its not about the money,its about protecting ones self & family.In most cases during a breakin/carjacking these lowlifes will KILL YOU & have NO remorse...........................

CrazyGuy,I wish you the best of luck & hope you "get your man"  Cool

"If you run into an asshole in the morning, you ran into an asshole. If you run into assholes all day long, you are the asshole."  -Raylan Givens
Got GOXXED ?? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9KiqRpPiJAU&feature=youtu.be
"An ASIC being late is perfectly normal, predictable, and legal..."Hashfast & BFL slogan Smiley
Vanderi

Activity: 283
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 21, 2013, 08:45:59 PM

Well in that case...

Word. That said, this really isn't a moralic preferences discussion now and most certainly not it's ugly, aggressive cousin political discussion. Let's not derail a thread made by someone like the OP and have him go through yet another dissappointment.
greaterninja

Activity: 924

View Profile
June 21, 2013, 09:48:22 PM

Usually when something like this happens...its someone you know and who knows you were getting this item.  Someone that knows where you live as well.

The only other thing I can think of is maybe they got the geo location from your ebay / bitcointalk pictures   OR its someone who has bought stuff from you in the past on ebay and they have access to your address still.
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: