Bitcoin Forum
March 28, 2024, 06:50:08 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Lightning network  (Read 1188 times)
Fizpok (OP)

Activity: 344
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
November 16, 2017, 08:58:10 AM

Just an oversimplified but nice article. Not mine Smiley

https://cointelegraph.com/explained/lightning-network-explained

Ethereum Programming Guide
Create Solidity contracts: Step-by Step Hands-on Guides.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
No Gods or Kings. Only Bitcoin
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
kernighan

Activity: 70
Merit: 10

View Profile
November 16, 2017, 09:43:38 AM

That's very similar with ethereum version.  It's not too hard either to understand raiden network white paper.
blocklife
Copper Member

Activity: 81
Merit: 0

Look around you , nothing is secure

View Profile WWW
November 17, 2017, 03:16:32 PM

Not too complex understanding Lightening networks, its a heavily researched field so there are materials.

Atomic swap may give you a slight headache.

The purpose of humanity : Genesis Chapter 1 (Rule)
9kek

Activity: 109
Merit: 21

View Profile
November 19, 2017, 02:53:10 PM

But will it be possible to start using LN with 0 BTC? (then, for example, receive some btc, sending a part of them etc)
Or it is always necessary to "lock" some bitcoins to open a channel?
BillyBobZorton
Legendary

Activity: 1204
Merit: 1028

View Profile
November 19, 2017, 03:22:00 PM

But will it be possible to start using LN with 0 BTC? (then, for example, receive some btc, sending a part of them etc)

Im not sure about that, and that is the only scenario where fees could be a problem. If you are some poor person in africa trying to participate in this global economy, you couldn't benefit even from second layer solutions, but I think if you don't have the money for that on-chain transaction, you will be able to use someone's else BTC, and if you provide this liquidity, you make some BTC passively, kinda like PoS for BTC. I don't know the details but I think this is the idea.
UniBanker

Activity: 10

View Profile
November 19, 2017, 07:20:15 PM

This is a good breakdown. In terms of implementation is this something that's actively planned for a Litecoin fork, or is this just a spec that may or may not be adopted by new coins?
cynical

Activity: 490
Merit: 136

View Profile
November 21, 2017, 09:44:37 AM

Just an oversimplified but nice article. Not mine Smiley

https://cointelegraph.com/explained/lightning-network-explained

thats great, a good simplified explanation.
So i understand that this has the potential to greatly minimize the massive amount of unconfirmed transactions?

████          O W N R   W A L L E T          ████   VISA PREPAID CARD    ████  Use crypto to pay in stores with OWNR  ████
❱❱❱❱ ❱❱❱ ❱❱ ❱     Buy, send, receive and exchange crypto        VISA   mastercard   SPA   UnionPay     ❰ ❰❰ ❰❰❰ ❰❰❰❰
BLOG       TWITTER     ██ █▌█ ▌     Manage crypto and VISA card in OWNR Wallet app    ▐ █▐█ ██     REDDIT   YOUTUBE
gayanw

Activity: 2

View Profile
November 21, 2017, 11:32:31 AM

I thought lightning network is just a concept, until I saw this recently:
https://segwit.org/my-vision-for-segwit-and-lightning-networks-on-litecoin-and-bitcoin-cf95a7ab656b
spartacusrex

Activity: 718
Merit: 545

View Profile
November 21, 2017, 03:58:59 PM

Absolutely.

From the BIP. https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Lightning_Network

Single-funded channels: when Alice needs to send a payment to Bob and doesn't currently have a way to pay him through the Lightning Network (whether because she can't reach him or because she doesn't have enough money in an existing channel), she can make a regular on-chain payment that establishes a channel without Bob needing to add any of his funds to the channel. Alice only uses 12 bytes more than she would for a non-Lightning direct payment and Bob would only need about 25 more segwit virtual bytes to close the channel than he would had he received a non-Lightning direct payment

Life is Code.
Vigme86

Activity: 378
Merit: 103

View Profile
November 21, 2017, 08:46:25 PM

Thanks for the article, it`s not completely clear to me when LN will be implemented to the market.
Will be dedicated wallet released to use this channels, how th user could use this thing?  Huh
UniBanker

Activity: 10

View Profile
November 21, 2017, 10:29:11 PM

I thought lightning network is just a concept, until I saw this recently:
https://segwit.org/my-vision-for-segwit-and-lightning-networks-on-litecoin-and-bitcoin-cf95a7ab656b

Thanks for this, keep in mind also that this is just another stop-gap for BTC. More lightweight currencies are eventually needed in order facilitate global payments.
Colorblind

Activity: 392
Merit: 41

This text is irrelevant

View Profile
November 22, 2017, 12:40:04 PM

No the whole concept of lightning network is that you must "load a gun" first (create funding transaction and post it to blockchain to open payment channel).
In essence lightning network is a barrage of 100% valid but never confirmed transaction. If a single transaction is invalid whole thig will crumble. In theory 1 satoshi funding transaction would be enough to open a channel and then receive arbitrary amount of bitcoins and start from that in lightning, but without initial transaction nothing will work (also note that funding transaction MUST be confirmed and recorded into blockchain). Since lightning channel can have lifetime of days, month and even a years, the fee you pay for funding a channel will be close to the fee you pay for bank account maintenance.

Vigme86

Activity: 378
Merit: 103

View Profile
November 22, 2017, 09:01:36 PM

That's all great guys but what it is still not clear is how and when the market will implement this technology.
I mean I use Electrum and Coinomi as wallets (also a bit Jaxx but very little).
LN should be just implemented by the Bitcoin protocol but with those wallets I can just make "old style" transaction.
nafez1

Activity: 28

View Profile
November 22, 2017, 10:05:32 PM

Thanks for the article, it`s not completely clear to me when LN will be implemented to the market.
icanscript

Activity: 686
Merit: 502

View Profile
November 22, 2017, 11:20:32 PM

I think that the LTC team wants to combine two technologies in one product: atomic swaps +lightening networks.Quality work requires a lot of time Sad
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: