Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 04:36:21 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Help Please - Vega 56 Mining Rig Troubleshooting  (Read 4745 times)
rippermantwo

Activity: 11
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 18, 2017, 03:05:16 PM

I am currently trying to overclock my cards, doing this from work on teamviewer lol.  I am confused as to why it only lets me drop my GPU frequency to -4% on wattman?  Doesn't make any sense to me as the post I am following says to drop it to -30%.  Also I dropped my Power Limit to -30% but only saw a 20w reduction... not sure if its because I set my fan at minimum 3000 RPM or whats going on.  I have my memory up to 950 right now. 

Also, I am only able to set about 20gb of virtual memory because I only have a 60 gb ssd. If I plug in a second oldschool HDD into sata slot 2 and set the virtual memory on that drive to say 60 GB would that work or does it all have to be on the same drive?

I had the same problem when i tried a "normal" driver release, i could only underclock -4% , installed the official amd compute workload driver 23aug and there was the -30% underclock!
I find it alot better and stable to undervolt and set clocks with softpowerplay, OverdriveNTool 0.2.1 has a built in editor.
Have 2 vega rigs working with this settings for some days now, it looks quite stable except 1 card needs 910-920mV or it crashes sooner or later.
https://imgur.com/a/KxdIw

Thats the problem though is it seems line 17.30 is unstable for me for some reason.  On 17.11.2 I am atleast stable with 4 cards.

Have five running steady now on 17.30 with 9977 h/s at 1300w. For some reason some of the cards didn't like certian risers. Had to switch them around until I found a match.

I tried mining with 17.11.2 and couldn't get over 1300 a card. I'm over 2k on each card now. I'm making more on five cards now then when running 6 cards on the new driver update.

So you got 17.30 stable?  And it was risers that were your issue?  I might order some new risers then

It seems to be risers that were making things difficult. I was about to order some new ones and then I remembered someone saying they just switched them around and got them working. Here's what I did:

1. clean install of windows in UFEI bios mode with all 6-cards plugged in
2. updated windows and all components including gpu drivers
3. paused windows update
4. used amd cleanup utility
5. used DD clean in safe mode
6. installed blockchain driver one card at a time in 16xpcie slot (two restarts per card)
   a. if a card did not behave, this is where I tried another pcie riser until the card worked.
   b. i then used what i thought was a faulty riser board with another card and all worked just fine (can't make heads or tails of this, but it is what it is)
7. I then plugged in each card, let it install and rebooted a couple of times.
   a. this worked up to five cards. when installing the 6th and final card i get the BSOD.

It was stable running Cast-xmr and xmr-cpu, both overclocked and undervolted overnight. I shut it down this morning to work on card six.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"Bitcoin: the cutting edge of begging technology." -- Giraffe.BTC
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
N2DCRYPT

Activity: 148
Merit: 5

View Profile
November 18, 2017, 04:15:29 PM

Finally got my 8x Vega 56 rig up and running. Feel your pain... ran into a lot of the issues you described. Am having some stability issues, had to bring the recommended clocks down a little.
ben8jam

Activity: 196
Merit: 100

View Profile
November 18, 2017, 05:07:53 PM

It seems to be risers that were making things difficult. I was about to order some new ones and then I remembered someone saying they just switched them around and got them working. Here's what I did:

3. paused windows update
6. installed blockchain driver one card at a time in 16xpcie slot (two restarts per card)
   a. if a card did not behave, this is where I tried another pcie riser until the card worked.
   b. i then used what i thought was a faulty riser board with another card and all worked just fine (can't make heads or tails of this, but it is what it is)
   a. this worked up to five cards. when installing the 6th and final card i get the BSOD.

It was stable running Cast-xmr and xmr-cpu, both overclocked and undervolted overnight. I shut it down this morning to work on card six.

Geez... is everyone having to go through these same hoops? I'm just about to install windows. Was going to do as much as I could with the VEGAs not connected (in the comfort of my living room) but if I need to install with all four vegas connected, I need to up and move to the garage...
rippermantwo

Activity: 11

View Profile
November 18, 2017, 06:42:13 PM

3. paused windows update

Geez... is everyone having to go through these same hoops? I'm just about to install windows. Was going to do as much as I could with the VEGAs not connected (in the comfort of my living room) but if I need to install with all four vegas connected, I need to up and move to the garage...

Not sure if that is the only way to do it, but it worked for me. I also installed the video drivers only under custom install.
tf2addict

Activity: 675

View Profile
November 19, 2017, 09:26:18 PM

Finally got my 8x Vega 56 rig up and running. Feel your pain... ran into a lot of the issues you described. Am having some stability issues, had to bring the recommended clocks down a little.

Windows 10?   Fall Creators Update or an earlier version?

What motherboard?
QuintLeo
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1030

View Profile
November 19, 2017, 09:45:38 PM

Should you turn off ULPS for mining?

Yes. DEFINITELY yes.

Otherwise any card that does not have an actual monitor (or possibly a dummy plug) will tend to go into "low performance" mode after a while.

Sometimes WITH a monitor or a dummy plug too.

I'm no longer legendary just in my own mind!
Like something I said? Donations gratefully accepted. LYLnTKvLefz9izJFUvEGQEZzSkz34b3N6U (Litecoin)
1GYbjMTPdCuV7dci3iCUiaRrcNuaiQrVYY (Bitcoin)
QuintLeo
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1030

View Profile
November 19, 2017, 09:47:09 PM

Wattman is the radeon tool.  I would much prefer to use afterburner but apparently it doesn't work with the Vegas.  I can get the overdriventool i guess.

Afterburner 4.4 DOES work with Vega on the Blockchain drivers.

THANK GOODNESS - I hate that "wattman" piece of garbage.

In fact, when you install the drivers ONLY let it install the drivers themselves not the 3 extra "addon" pieces of worthlessness.

I'm no longer legendary just in my own mind!
Like something I said? Donations gratefully accepted. LYLnTKvLefz9izJFUvEGQEZzSkz34b3N6U (Litecoin)
1GYbjMTPdCuV7dci3iCUiaRrcNuaiQrVYY (Bitcoin)
Tao1123 (OP)

Activity: 56

View Profile
November 19, 2017, 10:14:58 PM

I'm about to start my reinstall of 17.30.  Wish me luck
R0mi

Activity: 305
Merit: 148

Theranos Coin - IoT + micro-blood arrays = Moon!

View Profile
November 20, 2017, 12:48:17 AM

3. paused windows update

There isn't any need for pain.

Here is a very decent overview guide, but it is tailored towards XMR-STAK.  With minimal tweaks to the "StartMining" .bat file, you can get the same automated setup to run with Cast.

https://vegamining.blogspot.co.uk/

And here are some screen shots I took which may or may not help your setup: 

https://imgur.com/a/fuXns

One of my Vega rigs is on a MSI X370 and I am simultaneously mining away with the Ryzen cpu using XMR-STAK-cpu.  The other build is Intel using an older MSI Z97a board that I had.

Both are very stable at this point.

My experience:  install all the Vega cards at once before installing the driver.

Go online to Microsoft and download the Fall Creators Update, which is free.  I was stuck at 3 cards until I did this update.  Working well for me, YMMV.

Do set a very large System page file.

Walton Chain CEO Mo' Bling: "Walton Chain will be the Qualcomm + Cisco in the blockchain industry, the ‘Google’ of the Blockchain."  It's December 1999, do you know how your shitcoin holdings are doing?  Magic 8 ball market analysis: www.doiownashitcoin.com
Tao1123 (OP)

View Profile
November 20, 2017, 12:55:22 AM

I have managed to get 4 working no artifacts.  1 card is erroring out telling me I do not have enough free resources to run it.. Not sure what that means and the last is giving me artifacts.  
Tao1123 (OP)

View Profile
November 20, 2017, 02:29:58 AM

Here is a very decent overview guide, but it is tailored towards XMR-STAK.  With minimal tweaks to the "StartMining" .bat file, you can get the same automated setup to run with Cast.

One of my Vega rigs is on a MSI X370 and I am simultaneously mining away with the Ryzen cpu using XMR-STAK-cpu.  The other build is Intel using an older MSI Z97a board that I had.

My experience:  install all the Vega cards at once before installing the driver.

Go online to Microsoft and download the Fall Creators Update, which is free.  I was stuck at 3 cards until I did this update.  Working well for me, YMMV.

I was looking at your guide and every time I disable and reenable card 4 it shows back up with a code 43 error.  Oddly enough card 5 also shows up with a code 43 error when I disable and renewable card 4.

ben8jam

Activity: 196

View Profile
November 20, 2017, 03:21:06 AM

I just started and following the blogspot walkthrough. Just did the software reg edit.

About to install the XMR miner Stak - any reason to use another?

Only have 3 of four cards setup right now - I somehow just realized I have a fourth I need to add in. Nerves!! Lol

Tao1123 (OP)

View Profile
November 20, 2017, 05:24:25 AM

I just started and following the blogspot walkthrough. Just did the software reg edit.

Only have 3 of four cards setup right now - I somehow just realized I have a fourth I need to add in. Nerves!! Lol

The softpowerplat is only for flashed vega 56s right?  What uf mine are not flashed will the regedit still work?
R0mi

View Profile
November 20, 2017, 05:34:30 AM

The softpowerplat is only for flashed vega 56s right?  What uf mine are not flashed will the regedit still work?

yes, should still work.

Walton Chain CEO Mo' Bling: "Walton Chain will be the Qualcomm + Cisco in the blockchain industry, the ‘Google’ of the Blockchain."  It's December 1999, do you know how your shitcoin holdings are doing?  Magic 8 ball market analysis: www.doiownashitcoin.com
R0mi

View Profile
November 20, 2017, 05:35:58 AM

You should be fine.  If you get the three stable, add in the fourth.  Visit the Imgur link first and glance at that.

R0mi

View Profile
November 20, 2017, 05:39:37 AM

I was looking at your guide and every time I disable and reenable card 4 it shows back up with a code 43 error.  Oddly enough card 5 also shows up with a code 43 error when I disable and renewable card 4.

It's not my guide; the imgur screenshots are mine, but not the blogspot.

You need to provide more detail.  It sounds like you are disabling/enabling manually, which is fine starting out, but you will want to automate that when you have everything working.

I assume you have Windows 10, I assume you went to the Microsoft website and downloaded/installed the Fall Creators Update.  I assume you have set your system page file to a very large value.

How much physical RAM in your system?

If you ever had Nvidia cards on that motherboard, use DDU to strip out Nvidia driver stuff.

Take a look at the imgur screenshots that I posted.

Tao1123 (OP)

View Profile
November 20, 2017, 05:45:59 AM

I was looking at your guide and every time I disable and reenable card 4 it shows back up with a code 43 error.  Oddly enough card 5 also shows up with a code 43 error when I disable and renewable card 4.

You need to provide more detail.  It sounds like you are disabling/enabling manually, which is fine starting out, but you will want to automate that when you have everything working.

I assume you have Windows 10, I assume you went to the Microsoft website and downloaded/installed the Fall Creators Update.  I assume you have set your system page file to a very large value.

If you ever had Nvidia cards on that motherboard, use DDU to strip out Nvidia driver stuff.

I followed the imgur pics and set all the crossfire and ulps settings to 0.  I have windows 10 fall creators edition I have 8 gb ram.  I can get 4 cards out of 6 running although not optimally yet.  1 keeps telling me it's a code 12 not enough resources and the other says its working properly but overdriventool and claymore do not recognize it.the enable and disable issue has stopped.  Never had an nvidia card and I ran ddu before starting the guide.  I set virtual.memory to 60 gb. Although for 6cards not sure thats enough.  Mind you it is set between a 60gb sad which is at 30 gb and an old-school 160gb hdd set at 30 gb
R0mi

View Profile
November 20, 2017, 05:50:48 AM

You need to provide more detail.  It sounds like you are disabling/enabling manually, which is fine starting out, but you will want to automate that when you have everything working.

I assume you have Windows 10, I assume you went to the Microsoft website and downloaded/installed the Fall Creators Update.  I assume you have set your system page file to a very large value.

I followed the imgur pics and set all the crossfire and ulps settings to 0.  I have windows 10 fall creators edition I have 8 gb ram.  I can get 4 cards out of 6 running although not optimally yet.  1 keeps telling me it's a code 12 not enough resources and the other says its working properly but overdriventool and claymore do not recognize it.the enable and disable issue has stopped.  Never had an nvidia card and I ran did before starting the guide.

Go into Device Manager.

Go to View menu:  Show Hidden Devices.

For any display driver that is grayed out, uninstall it.

Do the same for Monitors, then check under System.  If it is grayed out, uninstall it.

Restart.

I've never seen code 12 while installing Vegas, so I don't know what you are hitting.

What size HD/SSD?  And what is your System Page file set to?

R0mi

View Profile
November 20, 2017, 05:52:34 AM

>>>Mind you it is set between a 60gb sad which is at 30 gb and an old-school 160gb hdd set at 30 gb <<<

Think I just found your problem.

Tao1123 (OP)

View Profile
November 20, 2017, 05:55:13 AM

>>>Mind you it is set between a 60gb sad which is at 30 gb and an old-school 160gb hdd set at 30 gb <<<

Think I just found your problem.

Can you not split virtual memory?  If that's the case woukd it be better to switch everything to the 150gb even though it's an old one?
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: