Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 05:59:02 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: How much heat does the Antminer L3 put out? Can I run in my office?  (Read 482 times)
frankbitcoin (OP)

Activity: 1288
Merit: 295

View Profile
November 13, 2017, 10:08:07 PM

Or do you think my office is going to be consistently 90 degrees?  I wanted to run two of them.

What about venting?  Do I NEED to vent the hot air?  Or is that just to cool the room down and doesn't affect the unit if the room is warm?

Thanks for your help folks  Grin

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
slate_main

Activity: 105
Merit: 11

BYTZ

View Profile
November 13, 2017, 10:20:37 PM

I do not know the temp output but I refer to my small miners as heaters, one more consideration would be the noise produced, and you want two units?

You could always build a vented and soundproofed space, but only tackle this if you have a good hands on know how.
frankbitcoin (OP)

View Profile
November 13, 2017, 10:32:26 PM

I do not know the temp output but I refer to my small miners as heaters, one more consideration would be the noise produced, and you want two units?

You could always build a vented and soundproofed space, but only tackle this if you have a good hands on know how.

Hmm. what about just using the garage?  Think I could still pick up a wifi signal with a range extender?
Bob1994

Activity: 14
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 13, 2017, 10:39:10 PM

Hmm. what about just using the garage?  Think I could still pick up a wifi signal with a range extender?

I would use cable instead of WIFI.
frankbitcoin (OP)

View Profile
November 13, 2017, 11:12:15 PM

you mean like a direct connection to the router?
DudeNamedSteve

Activity: 107

View Profile
November 13, 2017, 11:15:35 PM

Or do you think my office is going to be consistently 90 degrees?  I wanted to run two of them.

What about venting?  Do I NEED to vent the hot air?  Or is that just to cool the room down and doesn't affect the unit if the room is warm?

Cool deal, good luck man. They put out 250 cfm each, but a 6" HVAC tube similar to your dryer hose will work to route it where you want it to go. Free heating during winter though.
If it bothers you, box fan in the window pulling air or inline fan for pushing it out.

Good luck!
Bob1994

View Profile
November 13, 2017, 11:38:40 PM

you mean like a direct connection to the router?
Yes, Just lay down a LAN cable. It's faster and more stable.
greyday

Activity: 434
Merit: 52

View Profile
November 13, 2017, 11:57:45 PM

ASICS machines (and pretty much all computer components) generate heat at basically the same rate as a similar wattage space heater. So the L3+ (assuming you mean the current line) will put out around 800W of heat at stock settings. You can under or overclock it for more or less. Keep in mind it is continuous though, so if you have a small office it'll get stuffy pretty quick.

The bigger concern with the L3+ is sound. The cooling blades are set up in a way that the fans, while a bit loud in and of themselves, sound like a vacuum cleaner or jet engine when running at full blast. I built a sound dampening box for mine and ducted the exhaust up from my basement to provide heat. I can still hear it faintly through the box and my floor. I highly suggest checking one out or looking at online videos to get an idea.

If you want a space heater that generates a little money, the S3 is a better choice; it is MUCH quieter and overclocked generates between 400-500W relatively stably. You won't turn much of a profit, but it'll likely cover the increase in electric cost. Or you can pick up and mod an S5 with quieter fans, that'll earn you a bit. But honestly, if you want to spend on a space heater that will still make you money, the R4 is the best choice, you can still find them used for around $3k...
frankbitcoin (OP)

View Profile
November 14, 2017, 12:04:15 AM

Cool deal, good luck man. They put out 250 cfm each, but a 6" HVAC tube similar to your dryer hose will work to route it where you want it to go. Free heating during winter though.
If it bothers you, box fan in the window pulling air or inline fan for pushing it out.

Good luck!

thanks man.  I was actually considering putting them in the laundry room and trying to somehow piggyback off of the laundry exhaust duct - have the antminers exhaust run into the same as the dryer's.  no clue if that would work, or how to do it, but was an idea, especially since that's probably the area I'm now going to be putting them in, since it's closest to our router.
frankbitcoin (OP)

View Profile
November 14, 2017, 12:06:45 AM

ASICS machines (and pretty much all computer components) generate heat at basically the same rate as a similar wattage space heater. So the L3+ (assuming you mean the current line) will put out around 800W of heat at stock settings. You can under or overclock it for more or less. Keep in mind it is continuous though, so if you have a small office it'll get stuffy pretty quick.

The bigger concern with the L3+ is sound. The cooling blades are set up in a way that the fans, while a bit loud in and of themselves, sound like a vacuum cleaner or jet engine when running at full blast. I built a sound dampening box for mine and ducted the exhaust up from my basement to provide heat. I can still hear it faintly through the box and my floor. I highly suggest checking one out or looking at online videos to get an idea.

If you want a space heater that generates a little money, the S3 is a better choice; it is MUCH quieter and overclocked generates between 400-500W relatively stably. You won't turn much of a profit, but it'll likely cover the increase in electric cost. Or you can pick up and mod an S5 with quieter fans, that'll earn you a bit. But honestly, if you want to spend on a space heater that will still make you money, the R4 is the best choice, you can still find them used for around $3k...

thanks for that.  I was thinking it wouldn't be *that* loud, guess that's not the case lol.  
unfortunately those models show I wouldn't be making too much money, some of them at a loss
greyday

View Profile
November 14, 2017, 12:27:26 AM

thanks for that.  I was thinking it wouldn't be *that* loud, guess that's not the case lol.  
unfortunately those models show I wouldn't be making too much money, some of them at a loss

The S3 isn't profitable. It's cheaper than running a space heater is all (and keep in mind that numbers are based on current values and difficulties, which vary; I have an S3 I have overclocked and used as a spaceheater, and it is profitable, just not very). The S5 is profitable but needs modding. You can also mod it with third party hashboards and make it more powerful, but that's not cheap either.

The R4 is your best bet, but since they're not made anymore they're a bit pricey. Or just build a gpu miner in a milk crate that you can control the mining and heat generation of, it'll cost about the same and be far more versatile.
frankbitcoin (OP)

View Profile
November 14, 2017, 12:31:34 AM

The S3 isn't profitable. It's cheaper than running a space heater is all (and keep in mind that numbers are based on current values and difficulties, which vary; I have an S3 I have overclocked and used as a spaceheater, and it is profitable, just not very). The S5 is profitable but needs modding. You can also mod it with third party hashboards and make it more powerful, but that's not cheap either.

The R4 is your best bet, but since they're not made anymore they're a bit pricey. Or just build a gpu miner in a milk crate that you can control the mining and heat generation of, it'll cost about the same and be far more versatile.

I have zero clue how to do that.  but I have seen those rigs ready for sale on ebay, and I thought about getting one, but I dont understand how to set it up, honestly.
greyday

View Profile
November 14, 2017, 12:41:58 AM

It's not very hard, especially if you stick to either Windows (not recommended) or use a pre-built OS like ETHOS, which is $39 per rig, which is totally worth it IMO; it IS just a minimal build of Ubuntu geared towards mining, but the $39 is worth not having to build the distro yourself for me. It'd be cheaper to buy the hardware and assemble the rig yourself (by at least $1k most of the time), and you can customize it, so you could start with what you can or are willing to spend now and add onto it later (just as long as you buy a motherboard with enough pcie slots, I recommend at least 6 unless you just want something small). The other nice thing is that as new tech comes out you can upgrade in stages with what you can afford instead of having one huge price tag all at once, but honestly it's really not that much of a difference in price for hardware vs income if you're smart about what you buy...

But if you don't want to/don't have time do that, and are solely focused on ROI and profit, then I suggest the L3+, or the S9 if you're good at wiring, for the garage, or the R4 for inside.

Basically ASICS are the better short term investment, GPU rigs are better long term (and more modifiable obviously). I'm primarily a Mac guy with a little bit of Linux knowledge and it took about a day for me to figure out ETHOS. I currently have two ETHOS rigs (one with 3 Nvidia 1060s/3 1070s, and one with 4 1060s), an S3, and an L3+, and I have some broken S5s I picked up that I've been playing with for fun. I don't prefer ASICS over GPUs or vice versa, though the ASICS are definitely more of a "set it and go" which is great, but less fun to mess with (and far more limited on what you can mine with).

Oh, and I second the "run a line out" if you're planning on putting it in the garage; it won't be a HUGE loss, but you want as strong and direct a signal as possible, as though miners use next to no bandwith, they are constantly sending and receiving data, so any moment of signal loss will cause delays or rejections. Again, overall not much, but if you can run an ethernet line, I would.
frankbitcoin (OP)

View Profile
November 14, 2017, 12:48:40 AM

It's not very hard, especially if you stick to either Windows (not recommended) or use a pre-built OS like ETHOS, which is $39 per rig, which is totally worth it IMO; it IS just a minimal build of Ubuntu geared towards mining, but the $39 is worth not having to build the distro yourself for me. It'd be cheaper to buy the hardware and assemble the rig yourself (by at least $1k most of the time), and you can customize it, so you could start with what you can or are willing to spend now and add onto it later (just as long as you buy a motherboard with enough pcie slots, I recommend at least 6 unless you just want something small). The other nice thing is that as new tech comes out you can upgrade in stages with what you can afford instead of having one huge price tag all at once, but honestly it's really not that much of a difference in price for hardware vs income if you're smart about what you buy...

But if you don't want to/don't have time do that, and are solely focused on ROI and profit, then I suggest the L3+, or the S9 if you're good at wiring, for the garage, or the R4 for inside.

Basically ASICS are the better short term investment, GPU rigs are better long term (and more modifiable obviously). I'm primarily a Mac guy with a little bit of Linux knowledge and it took about a day for me to figure out ETHOS. I currently have two ETHOS rigs (one with 3 Nvidia 1060s/3 1070s, and one with 4 1060s), an S3, and an L3+, and I have some broken S5s I picked up that I've been playing with for fun. I don't prefer ASICS over GPUs or vice versa, though the ASICS are definitely more of a "set it and go" which is great, but less fun to mess with (and far more limited on what you can mine with).

Oh, and I second the "run a line out" if you're planning on putting it in the garage; it won't be a HUGE loss, but you want as strong and direct a signal as possible, as though miners use next to no bandwith, they are constantly sending and receiving data, so any moment of signal loss will cause delays or rejections. Again, overall not much, but if you can run an ethernet line, I would.

thanks so much for all of the information.  I think I will just go with the L3.

Someone mentioned to me that they need to be at a room temperature of 72 degrees.  Is this true?  I havent read this elsewhere.  So now I'm concerned about putting them in the garage with no ventilation ??
greyday

View Profile
November 14, 2017, 01:03:01 AM

Someone mentioned to me that they need to be at a room temperature of 72 degrees.  Is this true?  I havent read this elsewhere.  So now I'm concerned about putting them in the garage with no ventilation ??

No problem! And sorry, I don't know as mine runs in a basement, but colder is always going to be better for machine performance and longevity, so if you're dropping that much on gear, I'd say spend the hundred or so on some extra insulation or ventilation as needed. Good luck!
frankbitcoin (OP)

View Profile
November 14, 2017, 01:04:41 AM

No problem! And sorry, I don't know as mine runs in a basement, but colder is always going to be better for machine performance and longevity, so if you're dropping that much on gear, I'd say spend the hundred or so on some extra insulation or ventilation as needed. Good luck!

sadly no windows in the garage for venting.  could throw a few box fans in there, I suppose, but that would probably just blow around the hot air. 

and I'm in florida, so it's almost always hot lol.  winter is coming though! Wink
greyday

View Profile
November 14, 2017, 02:06:26 AM

sadly no windows in the garage for venting.  could throw a few box fans in there, I suppose, but that would probably just blow around the hot air. 

and I'm in florida, so it's almost always hot lol.  winter is coming though! Wink

Insulate the ceiling and throw a couple vent fans in for hottest, sunniest days.

As for venting directly, you'd only need a 4" vent, similar to a dryer vent, and some ducting (I used 6" to futureproof it against anything I may want later, but I am also venting inside the house). Easy to cut through a garage wall, you can use a drill attachment.

Neither may be necessary, though. If you're set on the L3+, get it and figure out the rest later (that's what I did). It's cheaper and more fun that way anyway.
Bob1994

View Profile
November 16, 2017, 10:31:34 PM

With all that noise in your office, you'd be losing ur mind real soon..
mittooss

Activity: 154
Merit: 10

DEm1CKDTViM1y9YmEcBaktNLWVx8rwuQUm

View Profile
November 17, 2017, 01:03:43 AM

Not advisable to place it in the office
Chan8

Activity: 378
Merit: 250

View Profile
November 17, 2017, 01:23:02 PM

Two bitmain antminer l3+ most likely wont cause too much of a heating issue for you. As long as you have some kind of ventilation. Even a window or a open door. But i think the noise is whats going to annoy the sht out of you. These bitmain miners are really not produced for home use, especially in a office space or living room. But if you must  go for it, just dont know how your going to work with the noise these things are producing.
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: