Bitcoin Forum
December 17, 2017, 10:37:52 PM *
News: Latest stable version of Bitcoin Core: 0.15.1  [Torrent].

Home   Help Search Donate Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Can Imported Wallets Get a Seed?  (Read 106 times)
kinnerc

Activity: 1

View Profile
November 13, 2017, 11:20:04 PM

Hi Folks:

Newbie here, gods help us all!  Smiley

I had an old, classic Bitcoin wallet that required the full blockchain to work. Not bad for 2012, but, today, not so much.

I decided to use Electrum as my client under Linux. Installed, set up, created a standard wallet as per the directions, setting up a wallet with a seed.

Having the private keys from my old wallet, I proceeded to try to sweep them into the wallet, but was told that I didn't have enough money in the wallet to do that (at the time I had 6 mBTC in there). I made up a new wallet and imported the private keys into it. As per the documentation this wallet did not have a seed, but I have put a password on it. When I look at the wallet it says "Wallet Name [Imported]" which makes sense.

Can I get this wallet to have a seed? Or would that require me to make a new wallet with a seed and sweeping the private keys from this imported wallet into that one?  If that is the case, why does sweeping incur a transaction fee?

Thanks much!

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction. Advertise here.
bL4nkcode
Copper Member

Activity: 672

Trusted Escrow Service? Go here -> goo.gl/qSGvAk

View Profile WWW
November 14, 2017, 03:02:48 AM

Can I get this wallet to have a seed?
You mean that wallet doesn't have a seed? if that wallet doesn't have any recovery method like private keys and the seed much better if you stay away from that web wallet since you all have is the password and not the seed.

Or would that require me to make a new wallet with a seed and sweeping the private keys from this imported wallet into that one?
Yes, that will work so you have the recovery phrase and save in a safe place especially offline.

If that is the case, why does sweeping incur a transaction fee?
 Sweeping is like sending all funds of your bitcoins from the imported one to a newly made wallet in a normal transaction and it will obviously require a transaction fee.

Abdussamad
Legendary

Activity: 1582

View Profile WWW
November 15, 2017, 10:59:19 AM

You can't mix deterministic wallets (seeded wallets) and imported private keys in the same wallet. You can however create a new standard wallet and sweep your coins to it. Sweeping incurs a fee because it is an on-chain transaction. Bitcoins are sent to an address in your deterministic wallet (seeded wallet). Right now fees are very high so it's not the best time to attempt this. Besides with just 6mbtc i wouldn't bother sweeping at any time. You can still create a new standard wallet to receive bitcoin in future. It is better than reusing that old single address wallet with the imported private key.

To create a new wallet start by going to file > new/restore and enter a filename for your new wallet. Follow on-screen steps to create your new standard wallet. To open a different wallet file use file > open.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Sponsored by , a Bitcoin-accepting VPN.