Bitcoin Forum
May 03, 2024, 12:43:44 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: BitSpend Business Indefinitely Closed Because Their Bank Doesn't Like Bitcoins  (Read 2719 times)
justusranvier
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1009

View Profile
June 20, 2013, 05:02:13 AM

BitSpend only needed a bank account to restock the dollars on the payment cards they use for making the purchases as part of their service.   If they used a bank account debit card, then obviously that was at risk of the bank taking an action like this.     But if instead they had a credit card or prepaid debit card even which could be reloaded as needed, they simply only need a way to convert bitcoins to the funds for reloading.  One labor-intensive approach is to convert bitcoins to cash and use the cash to buy Moneypak, which is then used to reload the card.   No bank account is necessary.
I think you're missing the potential of decentralization.

If the operators of BitSpend can find 20 trustworthy individuals who are each willing to buy $1000 worth of bitcoins per month (probably because they already are), they could organize them into a network capable of processing a quarter million dollars worth of purchases annually by having these 20 individuals buy items with their own personal debit/credit cards and ship them as gift orders. It would basically be impossible to shut down. There aren't any particularly difficult technical or organizational barriers to making this happen that motivated individuals could not find ways to overcome, and talented and passionate people who are tired of having their ambitions arbitrarily thwarted for illegitimate reasons are some of the most motivated people around.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"Bitcoin: the cutting edge of begging technology." -- Giraffe.BTC
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
RoadTrain
Legendary

Activity: 1386

View Profile
June 20, 2013, 05:12:20 AM

Yeah once again a) there were no issues and b) the closure had nothing to do with Bitcoin (in our case).  The model based on account transaction volume predicted the account was high risk and the closure was absolute.  Our local banker was actually pretty upset given we were a high grossing account for the local branch.

If you never reach that point then your "relationship" with local branch manager is meaningless you wouldn't be closed anyways and if you do reach that point your local branch manager isn't going to stop a closure.

As it relates to the OP like I said they will get all their funds back and they have absolutely no grounds to sue.  A bank can close an account for any reason at any time even without a reason and there is no grounds for a suit.

And how you got through this?
Megatherium

Activity: 2
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 20, 2013, 11:14:55 AM

Banks are private property.

I know this is talking from an idealist POV but banks are infrastructure and that should merit a different set of mind.
This case is basically like saying "We're gonna cut your power and water supply because we don't like that you're producing giant purple dildos."
samson
Legendary

Activity: 2097
Merit: 1068

View Profile
June 20, 2013, 02:59:25 PM

Someone should form a new bank or buy a smaller existing private bank in a more friendly geographic location.

Fund it with Bitcoin and use it as an entry / exit point for the crypto ecosystem.

Some kind of Bitcoin based IPO would be a good way of raising money to do this.
DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079

Gerald Davis

View Profile
June 20, 2013, 03:09:18 PM
Last edit: June 20, 2013, 03:27:04 PM by DeathAndTaxes

Banks are private property.

I know this is talking from an idealist POV but banks are infrastructure and that should merit a different set of mind.
This case is basically like saying "We're gonna cut your power and water supply because we don't like that you're producing giant purple dildos."

No I was speaking from a practical application of the law point of view.  You have no right to a bank account, your account, any account can be closed at anytime for any reason without recourse.  The sole exception being that the bank violates a protected class (race, religion, etc).

If you think that is unfair, start a Bitcoin friendly (or neutral) bank.  No seriously I will be your first depositor and I WANT to pay you thousands of dollars a month in banking fees.
DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Gerald Davis

View Profile
June 20, 2013, 03:10:14 PM

And how you got through this?

Luckily there are over 1,100 national banks in the United States.
Bitcoin Roll

Activity: 44
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 20, 2013, 03:21:26 PM

Banks can do just about anything they want. They are in charge of the world and that's exactly why bitcoin was invented, to change that
caveden
Legendary

Activity: 1106
Merit: 1004

View Profile
June 20, 2013, 03:22:55 PM

I read somewhere that before 1929 and the Great Depression that number was at least an order of magnitude higher.
painlord2k

Activity: 453
Merit: 254

View Profile
June 20, 2013, 05:00:53 PM

I read somewhere that before 1929 and the Great Depression that number was at least an order of magnitude higher.

The Fed needed to cull the herd to a manageable level.
justusranvier
Legendary

Activity: 1400

View Profile
June 20, 2013, 05:01:58 PM

An Open Letter to the BitSpend Team
Bitcoin Oz

Activity: 686
Merit: 500

Wat

View Profile WWW
June 21, 2013, 11:48:08 AM

Time to use the airbnb or crowd sourced taxi route.

Nova!

Activity: 140
Merit: 101

View Profile
June 21, 2013, 02:03:35 PM

my bank manager knows me, we have shaken hands many times. he understand bitcoin, understand my business model so i have no issues continuing to do what i do. and no fear of sudden crazy actions from the bank

Yeah and if the bank's computer model says you are high risk the account will be closed by corporate and there is absolutely nothing your local banker (who has no real power) can do.  We did $20M in transactions, generated nearly $50K in banking fees, never had a single complaint, never had a single case of fraud, were registered as an MSB, provided both bank anti-fraud team and local banker a 20 page document outlining our business model and the account was summarily closed by corporate due to high risk nature of our business.

Who the hell were you banking with if you don't mind my asking?
Every major bank I've talked to about my own bitcoin & crypto plans has been so excited they nearly humped my leg.
I've talked with local branch managers and at some of the bigger banks I've dealt with regional finance managers.  Pretty much everyone agrees that if you're complying with FinCen and other relevant laws, then they love you and won't freeze your accounts.
Initially I did talk to some of the smaller local "community" banks and they really didn't feel comfortable with high volume accounts.  But the bigger banks love the high volume accounts as long as you're willing to maintain the liquidity requirements (i.e. Don't move in 1Mil on Monday just to move it all out on Tues unless you have 20Mil sitting on deposit).  However if you have that kind of volume, it's probably best to just start your own bank.

Donate @ 1LE4D5ERPZ4tumNoYe5GMeB5p9CZ1xKb4V
DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Gerald Davis

View Profile
June 21, 2013, 02:46:59 PM

It doesn't really matter the big 5 all work the same but Bank Of America and PNC Bank specifically.  Speaking with other Bitcoin related companies Chase, Wells Fargo, Citi all have arbitrarily closed accounts in good standing.  I am not going to name names but the odds are just about Bitcoin related company (not to be confused with companies which accept Bitcoins for payment) that you have used has had at least one bank account closed for "no good reason".   The same thing occurs with international banks as well, not a single exchange anywhere in the world hasn't had at least one bank account closed (Canada, Japan, Germany, France, UK, it doesn't really matter).   It is just part of the business.   High transaction volume without a corresponding high asset base is "risky" in most banking models.  They are worried about regulatory oversight, fraud, criminal activity, money laundering, cybercrime, etc.  Right now "oh this is Bitcoin so a huge number of transactions to a huge number of individuals is normal" isn't a good enough answer.  The simplest "solution" is just to close high risk accounts and make them someone else problem.  Maybe in time that will change.

Now what you described (leaving millions in deposit) is laughably an entirely different scale.  I am sure if you are willing to leave $20M on deposit they likely will bend some of their own rules.  I was talking about SMALL BUSINESS.  A Bitcoin startup even if they had $20M in cash couldn't really justify leaving idle to keep their bank happy.
MPOE-PR

Activity: 756
Merit: 522

View Profile
June 21, 2013, 04:29:13 PM

my bank manager knows me, we have shaken hands many times. he understand bitcoin, understand my business model so i have no issues continuing to do what i do. and no fear of sudden crazy actions from the bank

Yeah and if the bank's computer model says you are high risk the account will be closed by corporate and there is absolutely nothing your local banker (who has no real power) can do.  We did $20M in transactions, generated nearly $50K in banking fees, never had a single complaint, never had a single case of fraud, were registered as an MSB, provided both bank anti-fraud team and local banker a 20 page document outlining our business model and the account was summarily closed by corporate due to high risk nature of our business.

Pretty much explains why it's not worth bothering.

Every major bank I've talked to about my own bitcoin & crypto plans has been so excited they nearly humped my leg.

You're new here, the chief symptom of which being that you take yourself way too seriously. Tone it down by about two degrees of magnitude, it's getting annoying.

My Credentials  | THE BTC Stock Exchange | I have my very own anthology! | Use bitcointa.lk, it's like this one but better.
Nova!

Activity: 140
Merit: 101

View Profile
June 21, 2013, 09:27:17 PM

You're new here, the chief symptom of which being that you take yourself way too seriously. Tone it down by about two degrees of magnitude, it's getting annoying.

I'm confused by that statement for a couple of reasons.  Not sure if I missed your sarcasm or you missed my humor.  Also, I'm not new, been here a while but had to change accounts after a payment service launched that had the same name as my previous account (was simpler than asking for a name change).

Still I have yet to talk to a major bank that wasn't extremely interested in banking a bitcoin enterprise. 

Donate @ 1LE4D5ERPZ4tumNoYe5GMeB5p9CZ1xKb4V
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: