Bitcoin Forum
April 19, 2024, 08:28:45 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Reuse an address on donation website?  (Read 380 times)
sawdust (OP)

Activity: 3
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 14, 2017, 04:49:46 AM

I'm working on a creative audio project that I will distribute for free, and would like to offer listeners the option to donate/tip with bitcoin.

I've installed electrum and there is an address in my wallet's "Receive" tab.  I could just post this address as a bitcoin: link, and that would be all that's required to receive donations, correct?

I have read that it's highly recommended *not* to reuse bitcoin addresses, to preserve privacy.  I honestly do not expect to get very many bitcoin donations at all - could I simply change the donation address manually if I receive a donation to the current address?  Is there any reason to be concerned if I receive a few donations to the same address before changing it?

Thanks!

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
achow101
Legendary

Activity: 3374
Merit: 6511

Just writing some code

View Profile WWW
November 14, 2017, 05:32:53 AM

I've installed electrum and there is an address in my wallet's "Receive" tab.  I could just post this address as a bitcoin: link, and that would be all that's required to receive donations, correct?
Yes.

I have read that it's highly recommended *not* to reuse bitcoin addresses, to preserve privacy.  I honestly do not expect to get very many bitcoin donations at all - could I simply change the donation address manually if I receive a donation to the current address?  
Yes.

Is there any reason to be concerned if I receive a few donations to the same address before changing it?
No. You will lose some privacy, but you are already losing privacy by having a public address.

slate_main

Activity: 105
Merit: 11

BYTZ

View Profile
November 15, 2017, 08:48:58 PM

I'm working on a creative audio project that I will distribute for free, and would like to offer listeners the option to donate/tip with bitcoin.

I have read that it's highly recommended *not* to reuse bitcoin addresses, to preserve privacy.  I honestly do not expect to get very many bitcoin donations at all - could I simply change the donation address manually if I receive a donation to the current address?  Is there any reason to be concerned if I receive a few donations to the same address before changing it?

Thanks!

Yes and Yes, just to add; whatever people might think, with the tracking and associated tx info, any Bitcoin transaction can be traced, unless you use a new address everytime, even then you can be found.
kahc

Activity: 350
Merit: 13

View Profile
November 15, 2017, 10:32:50 PM

Thanks!

Just use the same address for all donations. I assume all donation addresses you create will be publicly available, in other words those addresses are already linked to you.
TechPriest

Activity: 377
Merit: 282

Finis coronat opus

View Profile
November 15, 2017, 10:41:21 PM

Yes and Yes, just to add; whatever people might think, with the tracking and associated tx info, any Bitcoin transaction can be traced, unless you use a new address everytime, even then you can be found.

You can be found only through fiat gateways. This is real problem for anonymity, because such gateways is weak element of crypto chain.

In science we trust!
CryptoMonitorBot

Activity: 104
Merit: 10

Crypto Monitoring Bot is life =)

View Profile WWW
November 15, 2017, 10:41:55 PM

Most of cryptocurrencies are not ready yet to assume 1 transaction per address, we need a system who is able to generate addresses, wait for transaction and get a notification when the payment is received. I hope it will be ready next year Smiley

CryptoMonitor.tech 🔹 Telegram Bot 🔹 Alerts 🔹 MultiConverter 🔹 BittrexTicker 🔹 Wallet checker
jnano

Activity: 301
Merit: 74

View Profile
November 16, 2017, 01:27:50 AM

Another concern is the privacy of the senders.

By the way, using extended public keys you can generate addresses on the server without storing there your private keys, but also that has security and privacy risks.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: