Bitcoin Forum
March 28, 2024, 04:58:55 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: STOLEN BITCOINS / HACKED ACCOUNTS  (Read 1288 times)
campion99

Activity: 112
Merit: 10

View Profile
November 15, 2017, 04:48:18 PM

Today, the case of loss bitcoin so much, we must pay attention to the password security,
We shouldn't say the password for anyone, as well as personally related to bitcoin account

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The Bitcoin software, network, and concept is called "Bitcoin" with a capitalized "B". Bitcoin currency units are called "bitcoins" with a lowercase "b" -- this is often abbreviated BTC.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
iram1011

Activity: 896
Merit: 521

View Profile
November 15, 2017, 04:52:32 PM

Bitcoin allows you to have a control over your money saving it from fiat inflation and manipulation by centralized authority. This makes you responsible for the security of your Bitcoin. If any one develops a system to reverse Bitcoin transactions, then that gonna ultimately kill the integrity of Bitcoin. Indeed scams are way too common in crypto market. Along with pros decentralization and anonymity have their owns flaws as well.
Welsh
Staff
Legendary

Activity: 3248
Merit: 4110

View Profile
November 15, 2017, 05:00:29 PM

Bitcoin allows you to have a control over your money saving it from fiat inflation and manipulation by centralized authority. This makes you responsible for the security of your Bitcoin. If any one develops a system to reverse Bitcoin transactions, then that gonna ultimately kill the integrity of Bitcoin. Indeed scams are way too common in crypto market. Along with pros decentralization and anonymity have their owns flaws as well.

The only ones that have the power to reverse the transactions are the developers, and I can't see that fork being supported by the miners or the community. Bitcoin allows you to keep your Bitcoin safe yourself, but it's still open to influence from anyone with a decent authority or investment. 
Crypto_Happy_Sad (OP)

Activity: 154
Merit: 47

BE-RACEFUL GRACEFUL

View Profile
November 15, 2017, 05:10:28 PM

Totally Agreed guys,its irreversible and still havent had that fork introduced/implements and dont think so it would be something we can expect as per the  knowledge I have.

Yes the investigation is being done,I updated my Exchange on the unauthorized transaction,by the time I saw it was 3hours past and was told its not reversible and my acccount has been locked.I was angry/upset/annoyed about the fradulent activity had all the mixed feelings and finally broke and had sleepless nights.

I also updated the scam numbers which says Coinbase/Kraken/GDAX support and try to access your computer.The surprising thing is if you search for GDAX support thats the number which pops up first,already updated Google on the same and have raised a request to delete the number from the search so many people could be saved from those scammers/fraudsters.

Its easily understandable that they were the ones who did all these,but there was no way to get hold off them as the numbers dont allow my calls as my number is blocked in the receiving calls and they dont have a website or anything.ALl they are doing is calling you from 888 number and get hold of you and get into your computer.

Hope Iam already little out of it but still need sometime to completely come out of the nightmare.

Feels like wish I kept it more secure ,it hurts to see the 0 in place of 4.5 BTCs Sad(

Hope a miracle happens and I see the number again Smiley
mondobitcoin

Activity: 686
Merit: 100

View Profile
November 15, 2017, 05:28:33 PM

I don't know exactly how the "hacker" stole bitcoins from you, but I can recommend you to use an offline wallet
Because an online wallet or an exchanges wallet , is unsafe. (Like blockchain, localbitcoin etc.)
And NEVER give your private keys to anyone!
Crypto_Happy_Sad (OP)

BE-RACEFUL GRACEFUL

View Profile
November 15, 2017, 05:34:54 PM

@mondobitcoin Lesson learnt Sad
darkangel11
Legendary

Activity: 2310
Merit: 1337

Defend Bitcoin and its PoW: bitcoincleanup.com

View Profile
November 15, 2017, 05:36:28 PM

Hello DarkAngel,

At this point of time,yes I take the total blame for the trust I had on people.After all we are humanbeings with a normal thinking and being a woman,I was pretty cool brained soul and ended up learning a big lesson.

Imagine 4.5 BTCs for a person like me is a Huge loss,non-reversable and unrecoverable.

Big lesson learnt and spreading the awareness to my Co-Bitcoiners to not to fall a prey.My damage has been done ,hope a Robinhood comes his way !!

I'm really sorry and I know it's a big hit. It would be the same for me as I wasn't born with a silver spoon and I'm not used to taking money for granted.
The only thing you can do is follow your coins on blockchain and hope the thief is dumb enough to deposit on an exchange without mixing it. You can also ask the site your money were stolen from to send you the ip of the person who made the withdrawal. They most certainly have it. Most of these hacks could be tracked back to the source if you were backed by the authorities. For instance if he used a VPN, the service could be asked for his real IP.
Bottom line, as long as you control the keys the money is safe. I have been using various cryptocurrencies for the past 4 years and haven't lost a single coin, although I was close to that when the exchange I used to trade on run away with all the money. Luckily, I went on holidays and had nothing there at that time.
I hope in the near time cryptos will explode again and you'll get everything back and more Smiley

███████████████████████████
███████▄████████████▄██████
████████▄████████▄████████
███▀█████▀▄███▄▀█████▀███
█████▀█▀▄██▀▀▀██▄▀█▀█████
███████▄███████████▄███████
███████▀███████████▀███████
████▄██▄▀██▄▄▄██▀▄██▄████
████▄████▄▀███▀▄████▄████
██▄███▀▀█▀██████▀█▀███▄███
██▀█▀████████████████▀█▀███
.Duelbits.
..........UNLEASH..........
THE ULTIMATE
GAMING EXPERIENCE
DUELBITS
FANTASY
SPORTS
████▄▄█████▄▄
░▄████
███████████▄
▐███
███████████████▄
███
████████████████
███
████████████████▌
███
██████████████████
████████████████▀▀▀
███████████████▌
███████████████▌
████████████████
████████████████
████████████████
████▀▀███████▀▀
▬▬
VS
▬▬
████▄▄▄█████▄▄▄
░▄████████████████▄
▐██████████████████▄
████████████████████
████████████████████▌
█████████████████████
███████████████████
███████████████▌
███████████████▌
████████████████
████████████████
████████████████
████▀▀███████▀▀
/// PLAY FOR  FREE  ///
WIN FOR REAL
..PLAY NOW..
Fahim

Activity: 280
Merit: 101

View Profile
November 15, 2017, 06:06:17 PM

I do not even know what to say. Maybe you're lucky in something else. Maybe there is love. I dont know. Do not be discouraged, do not worry. If somewhere it decreased in another it'll increase. I hope you will have a pleasant surprise in the future.
dunfida
Legendary

Activity: 3038
Merit: 1128

View Profile
November 15, 2017, 06:13:53 PM

Hello Dear Bitcoiners,

Firstly I appreciate the Beautiful Block Chain Technology but after

Have anybody lost/got stollen their Bitcoins due to Fradulent activity and the best ways to get/retrieve them back.However the accounts have been locked but the damage was already done.I got to know that somebody transferred the Bitcoins into an external address only by myself after checking my account which had 0 coins after two hours of the transfer was done,immediately called my Wallet customer care where they locked my account to hold off on the further transactions but thought two hours was not too late to hold off the transaction but it was already done.4.5 BTCs just got off and my heart broke.

When I buy a Bitcoin it takes a week to be delivered into my account but when a fraud happens the transfer went on immediately Sad..Wish these scammers are punished and there is a little enhanced block chain technology to stop these Sad

Any advices/help in this regards is appreciated Sad

But always protect/safe guard your accounts,I would repeat the same message in each of my post as I know how painful it was to loose your hard earned money for some scammers Sad..I would have been happy if it was donated by myself for charity purpose rather being robbed/stolen by the scammers/hackers Sad

Sad

Sorry for your loss man and I do feel on what you do feel since I did experience these things back in my newbie days too which ive been scammed and lose up all of my hard earned money which you do strive to earn and they did easily get it from your because of our negligence and carelessness. Talking on enhanced blockchain technology then theres no such thing exist this is why we should really be careful on online transactions to prevent such accidents of being scammed.

shacc

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

View Profile
November 15, 2017, 06:16:40 PM

first of all people must need to understand the technology and risks, there is no safe fo naif people who not care for the level of security that should be  take before going to press any button   Wink
Crypto_Happy_Sad (OP)

BE-RACEFUL GRACEFUL

View Profile
November 15, 2017, 06:26:47 PM

@fahim Thankyou so much for the kind words..Always a ray of hope exsits for people who are being cheated by shady souls.
markwalters

Activity: 9
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 15, 2017, 06:27:13 PM

Interesting topic.. I've been wondering more about this and how to protect myself.
Heyfive94

Activity: 56
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 15, 2017, 07:01:28 PM

Improve security..use different accounts.Don't keep all the eggs in one bucket.Divide you money.
Crypto_Happy_Sad (OP)

BE-RACEFUL GRACEFUL

View Profile
November 15, 2017, 07:55:45 PM

Yeah,sharing each others experiences makes others to be more secure and gives a reason to be more protective with their wallets.So please share more and more advices guys !
Fire Rabbit
Legendary

Activity: 1267
Merit: 1000

BabelFish - FISH Token Sale at Sovryn

View Profile
November 15, 2017, 08:40:41 PM
Last edit: November 15, 2017, 09:22:52 PM by Fire Rabbit

Sorry to hear that you lost your hard earned money. Let this be a lesson for everyone who uses online wallet.
Online wallet should be used only when you need to exchange or trade the coins. You are not supposed to store your coins in that.
Next thing is always use unique passwords for your wallets . If you think you will forget the password, then store it somewhere safe.
If you use same passwords in all websites you signup then its really easy for scammers to hack your account.

.USD Stablecoin Aggregator.                                              ▄▀▀▀▀▀▀█
                                            ▄▀      ▄
              ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄      █        █
          ▄▄▀▀▀             ▀▀▄▄    ▀▀▄   ▄▀       █
  ▄     ▄▀ ▄▄▄▄         ▀▄      ▀▀▄▄   █  █       ▄
▀ ▀▄ ▄▀  █ ▄▄ █         ▀ ▄        ▀▀▄█▀▀        █
█ █▄ ▀ ▄█ ▀▄▄▄▄▀   █  ▄    ▀▄        ▄          ▄▄
█ ██               █  █     █   ▄▄▀▀▀ ▀▄          █
█ ▀ ▄▄            █   █   ██▀▀▀     ▄ █▀▀▄       █
 ▀▀   ▀▄       ▄▄▀  ▄█▄▄▀▀  ▀▀▄  ▄▀▀ █    █      ▀
         ▀█▄▄▄▄▀ ▄▄▄▀         ▄▀▀▀  ▄▀      ▀▄     █
               ▀▀▀▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██▄▄▄▄▀          █    ▀
                                               ▀▀█▄▄▄█
.BabelFish.█▀▀▀▀▀▀
█      ▀
 █        █      ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
  █       ▀▄   ▄▀▀    ▄▄▀▀             ▀▀▀▄▄
  ▀▄       █  █   ▄▄▀▀      ▄▀         ▄▄▄▄ ▀▄     ▄
   █        ▀▀█▀▀        ▄ ▀         █ ▄▄ █  ▀▄ ▄▀ ▀
   ▀▄▄          ▄        ▄▀    ▄  █   ▀▄▄▄▄▀ █▄ ▀ ▄█ █
   █          ▄▀ ▀▀▀▄▄   █     █  █               ██ █
   █       ▄▀▀█ ▄     ▀▀▀██   █   █            ▄▀▄ ▀ █
  ▄█      █    █ ▀▀▄  ▄▀▀  ▀▀▄▄█▄  ▀▄▄       ▄▀   ▀
  █     ▄▀      ▀▄  ▀▀▀▄         ▀▄▄▄ ▀▄▄▄▄█▀
 ▄▀    █          ▀▄▄▄▄██▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█▀▀
█▄▄▄█▀▀
.FISH token sale at Sovryn.████████████████████████████
████████████████████████████
████████▀▀▄██████▄▀▀████████
███████  ▀        ▀  ███████
██████                ██████
█████▌   ███    ███   ▐█████
█████▌   ▀▀▀    ▀▀▀   ▐█████
██████                ██████
███████▄  ▀██████▀  ▄███████
█████████████████▀▀  ███████
█████████████▀▀      ███████
█████████▀▀   ▄▄     ███████
█████▀▀    ▄█▀▀     ████████
█████████ █▀        ████████
█████████ █ ▄███▄   ████████
██████████████████▄▄████████
BartS

Activity: 980
Merit: 255

View Profile
November 15, 2017, 08:45:49 PM

Hello Dear Bitcoiners,

Have anybody lost/got stollen their Bitcoins due to Fradulent activity and the best ways to get/retrieve them back.However the accounts have been locked but the damage was already done.I got to know that somebody transferred the Bitcoins into an external address only by myself after checking my account which had 0 coins after two hours of the transfer was done,immediately called my Wallet customer care where they locked my account to hold off on the further transactions but thought two hours was not too late to hold off the transaction but it was already done.4.5 BTCs just got off and my heart broke.

When I buy a Bitcoin it takes a week to be delivered into my account but when a fraud happens the transfer went on immediately Sad..Wish these scammers are punished and there is a little enhanced block chain technology to stop these Sad

But always protect/safe guard your accounts,I would repeat the same message in each of my post as I know how painful it was to loose your hard earned money for some scammers Sad..I would have been happy if it was donated by myself for charity purpose rather being robbed/stolen by the scammers/hackers Sad

Sad

I’m sorry for your loss, it is unfortunate that there are so many hackers and scammers and I do not think things are going to improve if bitcoin becomes more popular since at that point there will be a lot more money to be made for those criminals, the only thing we can do is to secure our coins to the best of our ability, this is why I’m very paranoid when it comes to my bitcoin and I take all the precautions necessary to protect them from those thieves.
Crypto_Happy_Sad (OP)

BE-RACEFUL GRACEFUL

View Profile
November 15, 2017, 09:45:14 PM

Sorry to hear that you lost your hard earned money. Let this be a lesson for everyone who uses online wallet.
Online wallet should be used only when you need to exchange or trade the coins. You are not supposed to store your coins in that.
Next thing is always use unique passwords for your wallets . If you think you will forget the password, then store it somewhere safe.
If you use same passwords in all websites you signup then its really easy for scammers to hack your account.

Totally agreed with you and lesson Learnt Sad
Crypto_Happy_Sad (OP)

BE-RACEFUL GRACEFUL

View Profile
November 15, 2017, 09:52:22 PM

Hello Dear Bitcoiners,

Sad

I’m sorry for your loss, it is unfortunate that there are so many hackers and scammers and I do not think things are going to improve if bitcoin becomes more popular since at that point there will be a lot more money to be made for those criminals, the only thing we can do is to secure our coins to the best of our ability, this is why I’m very paranoid when it comes to my bitcoin and I take all the precautions necessary to protect them from those thieves.

True Bart,still not able to come out of the shock but trying to Sad..All these messages are making feel better and strong and to make sure in case if iam back into trading to be more secure.
taeewo

Activity: 392
Merit: 100

View Profile
November 15, 2017, 09:54:38 PM

I have not in any way lost my bitcoin because my private Key is always secured...
jacobmayes94

Activity: 364
Merit: 250

View Profile
November 15, 2017, 10:00:28 PM

I am so so sorry for your loss Sad. Online wallets are dangerous to store long term, as you have found out. I know its difficult, that quantity of coins... I would however for future use recommend the following:

If your using Bitcoin and storing funds you do not wish to lose, consider something called a 'hardware wallet'. These wallets store your private keys within them and can be plugged into any PC, even one with coin stealing malware, and the malware cannot at your private keys, especially with the ledger wallet keeping keys in a secure enclave. Your PC sends the transaction to the wallet to sign it, you can use it even on an infected pc, and it shows the wallet your about to send to on its little screen, and forces confirmation with a button on the unit. Ledger also supports multiple cryptocurrencies, and resembles a USB type stick.

PC or mobile / online wallets are fine for day to day change, but for ultimate security, use one of these, and keep the 24 word recovery phrase safe (i mean it!). Simply plug in, enter your PIN and then you can use it like any other PC wallet. You can load the same recovery phrase onto multiples, this phrase is stored offline, store in multiple locations, or even do what I do and keep an encrypted copy on CD at the houses of family members as well as unencrypted copies in a safe. Great if you forget your PIN or the wallet becomes defective.

Grab yourself a ledger nano s:

https://www.ledgerwallet.com/r/e656

I prefer ledger to trezor, as ledger uses am audited type of secure enclave wheras trezor uses a generic microcontroller as does keep key, both are good though.

Or, you could always use an offline generated paper wallet. In any normal PC or mobile wallet, especially on a PC running windows, keys can be stolen by malware, even when encrypted as the malware waits for your decryption password to be entered. Online wallets can go bust or otherwise be hacked. Great for day to day change, not for your savings. Paper wallets are inconvenient unless being used for long term storage. If your going to generate a paper wallet, use bitaddress.org. Bitcoin being a trustless system, the private key is proof of ownership and funds are irretrievable due to shares consensus rules enforced by the protocol. As long as 51% of the network agrees on rules, nothing can happen other than those rules, and the current network rules are the private key no matter who uses it is the key to unlock the funds.

Electrum does 2FA wallets as well, which are more secure than an online wallet, but in my opinion hardware wallets are the best option, but if you go this road, format your hard drive before setting one up, as you have no idea what malware may/may not be there. Plus, Kaspersky internet security is probably one of the best on the market, in my opinion.

I am so sorry for your loss, I'm always aggressively pushing hardware wallets, as it really is the only way to stop crap like this.

Even if your not hacked, an online provider may be, or in the case of blockchain.info, they had a bug a couple of years ago, reusing a numerical value which is meant to be unique each time a transaction is signed. Someone could view the signed transactions on the blockchain and determine private keys from the public keys using this method, as two transaction signatures with the same r value will leak the private key, a flaw in ECDSA public key cryptography.

Multisig wallets or not reusing the same address for sending transactions will protect you from a potentially faulty RNG when signing but not while generating, although most decent wallets fix this. Or fake wallet sites like the 'coinomiapp' (fake knock off of the coinomi site, do not visit it) will try and trick you into entering your seed etc. There are so many pitfalls, and I think the hardware wallets are simple enough to use for the novice user, and much more secure, provided you don't keep the recovery phrase saved on an online pc Smiley

Please grab yourself a hardware wallet for storage, do away with any kind of online/desktop wallet for any large quantity of funds, although I would give an exception to coinbase multisig vaults.

Grab yourself a ledger wallet, store the seed safely in multiple trusted locations, and NEVER have to go through this again. I am so sorry for your loss, £30k plus is no small sum to loose!
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: