Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 01:45:03 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: STOLEN BITCOINS / HACKED ACCOUNTS  (Read 1299 times)
justyourkuya

Activity: 156
Merit: 10

Bounty Campaign Management

View Profile
November 15, 2017, 10:08:37 PM

I'm sorry to hear that. Well, what happened to you was also experienced by others. Some of my friends encountered stolen wallet. Truly it's painful and hard to think about it because you did not only lose the money on your account but also the time and effort you had given for a certain period of that campaign that was lost. But as everyone said, charge it to experience and take the lesson learned. All you have to do now in order to avoid stolen bitcoins or hacked account is to take necessary precautions, secure your account's password or private key. If possible, you must be the only one who knows it. Do not share it to anyone or any othe websites prone to scammers or thieves.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
jacobmayes94

Activity: 364
Merit: 250

View Profile
November 15, 2017, 10:11:31 PM

Even so, online wallet accounts are at risk as they keep your private keys. Even using most online PCs is a risk due to malware. Even with an encrypted wallet, they will lie in wait for you to decrypt, then swipe the private key from memory. The mt gox and the cryptsy situation is an example of this, you should always use a paper/hardware wallet for storing large quantities. I have an electrum 2FA wallet and an android wallet for day to day change, but most of my funds are secured by a ledger wallet/paper wallets. Ledger wallet chrome app is easier to use than most wallet software, all it needs is the ledger wallet be plugged in to sign transactions.

HD wallets with seeds like ledger/trezor/keepkey/electrum also remove the problem of change addresses not being in recent backups, with all keys generated from said seed.

I would say hardware wallets are more secure than unpassworded paper wallets, as you can use them on a compromised machine safely, whereas a paper wallet is ever so slightly vulnerable if you were to sweep it on a compromised machine.
Crypto_Happy_Sad (OP)

Activity: 154
Merit: 47

BE-RACEFUL GRACEFUL

View Profile
November 15, 2017, 10:30:41 PM

I have not in any way lost my bitcoin because my private Key is always secured...

Everyone are not lucky dude Sad
jacobmayes94

Activity: 364

View Profile
November 15, 2017, 10:50:27 PM
Last edit: November 15, 2017, 11:14:14 PM by jacobmayes94

Plus, even if its secured, if hes used any type of wallet with a faulty RNG, its a ticking timebomb. Hence why theres only a few well known wallets that I trust to have a secure RNG.

Quite a few people on here who take security measures like 2FA on online wallets get quite cocky about it, but thats not enough. A good, audited hardware wallet like ledger, an audited paper wallet generator, or a wallet like electrum 2FA is probably one of the of the few ways to keep coins 99.9999% secure. Even then, there is the $5 wrench attack (google it).

Even the trezor hardware wallet had an exploit which helped some soul here recover $30k USD of coins - $3000 bounty to the hacker he paid to help him, a wallet used to secure millions of pounds in coins:

https://www.wired.com/story/i-forgot-my-pin-an-epic-tale-of-losing-dollar30000-in-bitcoin/

granted, you needed physical access and its been patched, but no system is infallible. Plus i bet there are many trezors out there which hasn't been updated. And this is one of the go-to secure wallets, but very few notices it uses a generic microcontroller.

Best that people on here even those who are 'i told you so' type, should never get cocky. Even I do not, and i use multiple wallets. And now is not a time to get cocky or i told you so when some poor soul has lost £30k.

Even I, a big proponent of bitcoin security had a dumb moment and entered my ledger PIN wrong three times, making good storage of multiple backups of the seed vital. Not counting the time my other ledger wallet somehow became defective, im currently trying to RMA it with them now, but i still have used, and trust their product for years after doing my research.

2FA while good, is not enough on its own, i proved this to a friend of mine with his permission, was easily able to social engineer most places to remove it. Yes, always enable it, though.
Kiton

Activity: 12
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 15, 2017, 11:10:15 PM

I am really sorry for your loss mate  Sad
ashfer

Activity: 353
Merit: 100

https://luxantdigitalbank.com/

View Profile
November 16, 2017, 02:46:25 AM

hard to know about your loss getting 4BTC hacked is not a small thing as per the current market one btc itself is above 7K and its not a small amount to loose what you have invested . And it is not practical  to reverse the transactions as they won't be traces left to find out to which person or account the btc was transferred as btc tech maintain high privacy of its clinets and never keep any kind of personal data of its users so its not at all possible to find out where your btc went its always safe to hold on your btc in offline wallet so that it doesn't get robbed in the future.

Crypto_Happy_Sad (OP)

BE-RACEFUL GRACEFUL

View Profile
November 20, 2017, 05:36:58 PM

Plus, even if its secured, if hes used any type of wallet with a faulty RNG, its a ticking timebomb. Hence why theres only a few well known wallets that I trust to have a secure RNG.

Quite a few people on here who take security measures like 2FA on online wallets get quite cocky about it, but thats not enough. A good, audited hardware wallet like ledger, an audited paper wallet generator, or a wallet like electrum 2FA is probably one of the of the few ways to keep coins 99.9999% secure. Even then, there is the $5 wrench attack (google it).

Even the trezor hardware wallet had an exploit which helped some soul here recover $30k USD of coins - $3000 bounty to the hacker he paid to help him, a wallet used to secure millions of pounds in coins:

https://www.wired.com/story/i-forgot-my-pin-an-epic-tale-of-losing-dollar30000-in-bitcoin/

granted, you needed physical access and its been patched, but no system is infallible. Plus i bet there are many trezors out there which hasn't been updated. And this is one of the go-to secure wallets, but very few notices it uses a generic microcontroller.

Best that people on here even those who are 'i told you so' type, should never get cocky. Even I do not, and i use multiple wallets. And now is not a time to get cocky or i told you so when some poor soul has lost £30k.

Even I, a big proponent of bitcoin security had a dumb moment and entered my ledger PIN wrong three times, making good storage of multiple backups of the seed vital. Not counting the time my other ledger wallet somehow became defective, im currently trying to RMA it with them now, but i still have used, and trust their product for years after doing my research.

2FA while good, is not enough on its own, i proved this to a friend of mine with his permission, was easily able to social engineer most places to remove it. Yes, always enable it, though.

That was a valuable info not only for me for all the Crytp holding guys.BEcareful guys,shady ppl and shady activities to steal your digital currency.
Delarock

Activity: 388

View Profile
November 22, 2017, 01:07:01 PM

The case of loss bitcoin so much, we must pay attention to the password security. We shouldn't say the password for anyone, as well as personally related to bitcoin account.
Crypto_Happy_Sad (OP)

BE-RACEFUL GRACEFUL

View Profile
November 22, 2017, 01:37:01 PM

It's hard, I know, but you need to get up again and maybe, try to investigate a bit on what happened. Malwares, logging in insecure devices, this all make online wallets the worst way to secure your BTC and should avoid it if you have more than 1BTC. Good luck in future, hope you get back.

Have done the investigation Member.

They called themselves as GDAX customers care and took control over the systems and have done this hacking.

As said lot of shady people around Sad
LancienMaleAlpha

Activity: 406

View Profile
November 23, 2017, 07:47:59 AM

"Wallet customer care" smells scammy. In actuality you don't need any person to work with your wallet. If you wanna store your BTC really securely, you should use hardware wallets.

MIDEX ● BLOCKCHAIN BASED FINANCIAL PLATFORM
▬ with Licensed Exchange approved by Swiss Bankers and Lawyers
# WEBANN + BountyTelegramFacebookTwitterBlog # GET TOKENS #
Ararbermas

Activity: 1988
Merit: 283

View Profile
November 23, 2017, 11:09:43 AM

You need to improve your account security, your bitcoin wallet. Somehow hackers can install malware on your computer
yeah thats right mate that is the must important to avoid  that problem so that no one can manage our account . But there are some stuff now adays around the internet that maybe can force brute our wallet information such as phising link / url link and etc to read all the information involve in our security.so isuggest to becarefull dont attemp to browse if you have doubts on it. Review first before doing anything . Best regards
Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  

Jump to: