Bitcoin Forum
April 19, 2024, 05:04:43 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin Wallet Recovery Services - for forgotten wallet password  (Read 63779 times)
casascius
Mike Caldwell
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1386
Merit: 1136

The Casascius 1oz 10BTC Silver Round (w/ Gold B)

View Profile WWW
August 21, 2013, 11:59:21 PM

Holding the tool vs distributing it is an interesting choice.  Would you care to comment on that?

I would expect, right off the bat, that the tool has to be modified to crack passwords that follow the pattern of the user who forgot theirs. Because unless the password is weak, brute force cracking with no clue as to what the password might resemble or contain isn't really possible.

Companies claiming they got hacked and lost your coins sounds like fraud so perfect it could be called fashionable.  I never believe them.  If I ever experience the misfortune of a real intrusion, I declare I have been honest about the way I have managed the keys in Casascius Coins.  I maintain no ability to recover or reproduce the keys, not even under limitless duress or total intrusion.  Remember that trusting strangers with your coins without any recourse is, as a matter of principle, not a best practice.  Don't keep coins online. Use paper or hardware wallets instead.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"With e-currency based on cryptographic proof, without the need to trust a third party middleman, money can be secure and transactions effortless." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
NewLiberty
Legendary

Activity: 1204
Merit: 1002

Gresham's Lawyer

View Profile WWW
August 22, 2013, 07:26:02 PM

Holding the tool vs distributing it is an interesting choice.  Would you care to comment on that?

I would expect, right off the bat, that the tool has to be modified to crack passwords that follow the pattern of the user who forgot theirs. Because unless the password is weak, brute force cracking with no clue as to what the password might resemble or contain isn't really possible.

Good point.  Providing the tool with these user patterns for modification takes a trusted channel.  That would likely count for the distribute choice.
Holding choice is supported by the anti-abuse use cases, which is a strong one considering...

FREE MONEY1 Bitcoin for Silver and Gold NewLibertyDollar.com and now BITCOIN SPECIE (silver 1 ozt) shows value by QR
Bulk premiums as low as .0012 BTC "BETTER, MORE COLLECTIBLE, AND CHEAPER THAN SILVER EAGLES" 1Free of Government
walletrecoveryservices (OP)

Activity: 89
Merit: 21

View Profile WWW
August 30, 2013, 11:08:59 AM

The temperance and perspicuity you display is admirable.
The fact that such an offering could be done by an unscrupulous scammer does not make you one.

I guess it comes down to a couple of reasons:
1) If I distribute the tool (open source-wise), then unscrupulous persons can use it. In fact I have already been approached by someone wanting to buy my software stack, but I turned them down outright, since it was probably a botnet owner or similar... I didn't want to be sullied by the bad guys.
2) If I distribute the tool, then I have little chance of making any money. Currently I am working on several wallets with substantial 'rewards'. (as well as some with little or no reward, I might point out)

Also, (as pointed out later in this thread), quite a few of the specific wallets that I've worked on do indeed require tweaks to the algorithms... no matter how generic you make them, someone always has another bit of remembered logic up their sleeve... like "wordnumberwordnumber where I'm pretty sure that the numbers were the reverse of each other's digits", etc, etc

Maybe when/if I get tired of bitcoins and wallet decryption stuff, then I will open-source it.
Regards

Providing Cryptocurrency Wallet, Password and Seed Recovery Services since 2013
peer2peer360

Activity: 561
Merit: 500

Institute of Advance Blockchain Research

View Profile
August 31, 2013, 11:58:46 AM

as I may be in need of such a service.

as of last week (Sunday Aug 25)I was gearing up to make
an investment using my blockchain wallet

and suddenly out of no where my blockchain
wallet unsynced from my mobile device [ android]
literally in seconds of me sending my bitcoins to it!

mind you, 3 months usage I've never had a issue until then
which caused alot of fustration and precious time
trying to retrieve my btc!

the password I use when I first downloaded the blockchain App
wallet seem to be invalid *( I write down all passwords for all my accounts)*

it's been an ongoing nightmare with the thought of losing my btc
which I can't seem to understand why would my blockchain wallet
UNsync from my device, jus seconds of me sending btc to It!

if your service can help me recover my password / btc
I'm willing to compensate you for your time

thank you
kind regards

peer2peer360

shinyshiny

Activity: 12
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 31, 2013, 01:19:01 PM

Do you have any vouches from users who had their wallet recovered?
molecular
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 2772
Merit: 1019

View Profile
August 31, 2013, 04:41:23 PM

He can't steal your money, because peer the process used you are only giving him a partial Walter containing keys without funds on them. We elaborated this in this thread and op put up a 1btc bounty for one week which wasn't claimed.

PGP key molecular F9B70769 fingerprint 9CDD C0D3 20F8 279F 6BE0  3F39 FC49 2362 F9B7 0769

View Profile WWW
September 01, 2013, 05:47:50 AM

It is interesting that most users prefer to remain quiet. (perhaps a degree of embarassment). Smiley

Currently I am busy with attempts on multiple wallets. (both bitcoin/litecoin based and blockchain.info based)

The majority of wallets decryptions that I've attempted have been unsuccessful, but I have had a number of notable successes. I might prod those (successful) wallet users, and see if they will put a message up here about their experiences.

Cheers
Dave

fligen

Activity: 102
Merit: 10

Crypto Pros

View Profile WWW
September 01, 2013, 07:57:24 AM

I can definitely see why Smiley

View Profile WWW
September 08, 2013, 05:53:48 AM

Hi Nick Morana
If you are reading this, please get back in touch with me. Your reply email address from your recent communication appears to be an invalid email address:
Refer to this error report:

The error that the other server returned was:
 550 5.1.1 - Invalid mailbox: {removed}@roadrunner.com

Thanks
Dave

NewLiberty
Legendary

Gresham's Lawyer

View Profile WWW
September 08, 2013, 11:24:30 PM

If there are additional entropy-reduction mechanisms in the tool, such as timing measurements (statistically significant early denies vs late denies in a brute-force pass for hash match) that sort of information could suggest improvements in the wallet code security.  Keep in touch with the development effort, please.

FREE MONEY1 Bitcoin for Silver and Gold NewLibertyDollar.com and now BITCOIN SPECIE (silver 1 ozt) shows value by QR
Bulk premiums as low as .0012 BTC "BETTER, MORE COLLECTIBLE, AND CHEAPER THAN SILVER EAGLES" 1Free of Government

View Profile WWW
September 18, 2013, 09:24:18 AM

If there are additional entropy-reduction mechanisms in the tool, such as timing measurements (statistically significant early denies vs late denies in a brute-force pass for hash match) that sort of information could suggest improvements in the wallet code security.  Keep in touch with the development effort, please.
Hi
To put your mind at ease, no, I haven't identified any encryption weaknesses or shortcuts to the decryption mechanism in the bitcoin, litecoin or blockchain wallets.

Development on the toolset continues. It is surprising how many different types of {x} there are amongst people's "I thought I knew my passphrase but it doesn't work, and it might be because {x}"
 Embarrassed

Regards.

BobMarley

Activity: 210
Merit: 100

View Profile
October 01, 2013, 07:29:37 PM

Very cool if legit

briehost

Activity: 79

View Profile WWW
October 01, 2013, 07:43:58 PM

Wallet recovery is definitely possible to do without scamming. I would not be so quick as to yell scam, but I would be sure not to send my whole wallet to just anyone who requests it!

It reminds me a lot of hired vanity address generators. It does not seem smart to let someone generate a whole private key for you, however https://bitcoinvanity.appspot.com/ seems to have a good way to do this. If you generate your own part-private (or split-private) key then you would be fine.

I do not see why a system built on no trust needed would need to rely on so much trust. If I don't understand something, I may risk some money in attempts of understanding if it's legit and logical, but I don't risk more than I'd be willing to lose.

We should not forget that Pirateat40 had the best OTC reputation for some time Wink

To brie or not to brie...
molecular
Donator
Legendary

View Profile
October 01, 2013, 08:16:48 PM

I do not see why a system built on no trust needed would need to rely on so much trust. If I don't understand something, I may risk some money in attempts of understanding if it's legit and logical, but I don't risk more than I'd be willing to lose.

We should not forget that Pirateat40 had the best OTC reputation for some time Wink

This is not about trust or reputation. The way this service works doesn't require trust. Operator cannot steal your coins. You will see that by either looking at the process of submitting your partial wallet or by reading this thread (the part about the 1 BTC).

PGP key molecular F9B70769 fingerprint 9CDD C0D3 20F8 279F 6BE0  3F39 FC49 2362 F9B7 0769
briehost

Activity: 79

View Profile WWW
October 01, 2013, 08:26:47 PM

This is not about trust or reputation. The way this service works doesn't require trust. Operator cannot steal your coins. You will see that by either looking at the process of submitting your partial wallet or by reading this thread (the part about the 1 BTC).

Looks like I was having one of my grandpa moments. I thought I had read that trust would build over time and this service would be accepted, which is why my response was saying that services should not rely on trust but comprehension of the underlying procedures. Sorry for any misunderstanding.

What this guy has to offer is essentially a lot of computing power that can be rented for the time needed to brute-force a mistyped password. It is pretty awesome and I would definitely recommend anyone who needs a service like this to read into it.

To brie or not to brie...
ukrainiangambler

Activity: 5
Merit: 0

View Profile
October 24, 2013, 12:51:17 AM

I require your services. Email or PM me. Reward!!

View Profile WWW
October 24, 2013, 09:06:50 AM

I require your services. Email or PM me. Reward!!
ok, we are in touch. Dave

NewLiberty
Legendary

Gresham's Lawyer

View Profile WWW
October 25, 2013, 11:44:11 AM

Looks like I was having one of my grandpa moments. I thought I had read that trust would build over time and this service would be accepted, which is why my response was saying that services should not rely on trust but comprehension of the underlying procedures. Sorry for any misunderstanding.

What this guy has to offer is essentially a lot of computing power that can be rented for the time needed to brute-force a mistyped password. It is pretty awesome and I would definitely recommend anyone who needs a service like this to read into it.

It doesn't require trusting your wallet to the service.  It does require other sorts of trusts, though very little.  I wish it every success, it is likely to be increasingly in demand.

AJRGale

Activity: 767
Merit: 500

View Profile
November 01, 2013, 01:15:04 AM

i was so going to jump on your service, till you mentioned that you cant get 15+ lettered passwords, its a shame, i blame hardware for that one, not you

it is a blockchain.info wallet.aes.json, i have no re-callable memory of what it was, i probably used lastpass password generator (nothing in its history though :/)

the one thing i never got out of this, was your cost of service, or is it what ever it is worth to the person?

i'll continue scouting all my HDDs for any random file with the password or mnemonic stored in it (im so good like that, texting up my password, leaving them laying around.. like keys to my cars left laying around in the pub)

Anywho, scam yodellers still have no proof that you are scamming, and you haven't been shut down and out yet, so you're out there doing good then
molecular
Donator
Legendary

View Profile
November 01, 2013, 12:08:31 PM

i was so going to jump on your service, till you mentioned that you cant get 15+ lettered passwords, its a shame, i blame hardware for that one, not you

you should blame that damn exponential function.

Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: